PDA

View Full Version : Blazing Saddles

HonestChieffan
01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
There is far too much angst here today. In the spirit of bringing us together under a common banner of good will and fellowship, I figured we can all agree Blazing Saddles was a fine flick.

Did you like the character called Mongo? Sherriff Bart was really good too.

chasedude
01-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Is that a ten-gallon hat, or are you just enjoying the show? LMAO

wilas101
01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
so many quotes from that movie that I can't even decide on one to post.

chasedude
01-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Bart: You are my guest, and I am your host. What is your pleasure? What do you like to do?
Jim: I don't know... play chess... screw...
Bart: Let's play chess!

BigRedChief
Charlie (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0569970/): They said you was hung.
Bart (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001476/): And they was right.

Demonpenz
i don't like movies that use the n word

BigRedChief
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Taggart (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001620/): I got it. I got it.
Hedley Lamarr (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0466327/): You do?
Taggart (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001620/): We'll work up a "Number 6" on 'em.
Hedley Lamarr (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0466327/): "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one...
Taggart (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001620/): Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.
Hedley Lamarr (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0466327/): You spare the women?
Taggart (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001620/): NAW. We rape the shit out of them at the Number 6 Dance later on.
Hedley Lamarr (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0466327/): Marvelous.

Radar Chief
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
You use your mouth purtier than a $20 whore.

BigRedChief
01-04-2008, 01:02 PM
i don't like movies that use the n word
This is the last movie that got away with it as comedy.

Donger
01-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Taggart: I hired you people to try to get a little track laid, not to jump around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots.

FAX
01-04-2008, 01:04 PM
It was a good film, no question, Mr. HonestChieffan . Slim Pickens' definitive performance, excellent use of post-classical cinematic technique, and the understated aesthetic of Brooks' emerging auteur style, but I liked the first Ghostbusters better.

FAX

HonestChieffan
01-04-2008, 01:06 PM
pillowbiters was never used in the movie, You substituted that io know to delflect a ceratin person from bring up "self-thought" again.

Well done.

"I didnt get a harrumph out of you"

StcChief
01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
This is the last movie that got away with it as comedy.
except all the Rapper gangsta' movies where only "they can say it"

oh you said comedy... then Richard Prior/Chris Rock standup

BigRedChief
01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Bunch of soundbites of the famous lines from the movie:
http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/saddles/bssounds.htm

Baby Lee
01-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Somebody's got to go back and get a shitload of dimes

Otter
01-04-2008, 01:08 PM
It was a good film, no question, Mr. HonestChieffan . Slim Pickens' definitive performance, excellent use of post-classical cinematic technique, and the understated aesthetic of Brooks' emerging auteur style, but I liked the first Ghostbusters better.

FAX

I think Fax just insulted someones Mom.

BigRedChief
01-04-2008, 01:10 PM
except all the Rapper gangsta' movies where only "they can say it"

oh you said comedy... then Richard Prior/Chris Rock standup
I was talking about white guys using it in comedy. But Pryor supposely wrote much of the script.

Lamarr: Taggart!
Taggart: Yes sir?
Lamarr: I've decided to launch an attack that will reduce Rock Ridge to ashes.
Taggart: What do you want me to do, sir?
Lamarr: I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger in the west. Take this down: I want rustlers, cutthraots, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, half-wits, dim-wits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, horse wagglers, horse thiefs, bullbags, train robbers, bank robbers, ass kickers, shit kickers, and Methodists! [laughter]
Taggart: Could you repeat that, sir?

BigRedChief
01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
After screening the movie, the head of Warner Brothers Pictures complained about the use of the word "****** (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******)", the campfire scene and the punching of a horse, and told Brooks to remove all these elements from the film. As Brooks' contract gave him control of the final cut, the complaints were disregarded and all three elements were retained in the film.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazing_Saddles#_note-salon)

When asked in a television interview if anything was so offensive it had to be cut from the movie, however, Mel Brooks confided that one bit between Madeline Kahn and Cleavon Little had to be edited. In the darkened dressing room when Lili asks Bart if it's "twue" what they say about black men and then she says "it's twue, it's twue!", he cut Bart's punchline of "I'm sorry to disappoint you, miss, but you're sucking on my arm."

HonestChieffan
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
The music was world class. Frankie Layne could warble with the best of them.

"He rode a blazing saddle, he wore a shining star...." That's music to stir the soul.

BigRedChief
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
The music was world class. Frankie Layne could warble with the best of them.

"He rode a blazing saddle, he wore a shining star...." That's music to stir the soul.
Hre thought he was singing it for real. He didn't know it was a western paraody. He sued them when it first came out but dropped it when the movie reignited his career.

Carlota69
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Mongo: "The Sherrif is a nig..."(Bong!!!)
Townsperson: "What did he say?"
Townsperson #2 " He said the Sherrif is near!"
Mongo: "No dangnabit!! The sherrif is a Nig.."(Bong)
Townsperson: "The Sherrif is near!!!"

I love this movie!

Rooster
01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL
Buddy's Singers: Throw out your hands. / Stick out your tush. / Hands on your hips, give 'em a push. / You'll be surprised; you're doing the French mistake. / Voila.

gblowfish
01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I saw a special on Blazing Saddles not too long ago, and read up on it a bit. Mel Brooks had final cut in his contract, so the suits wanted him to take out a bunch of the jokes that are famous now.

He did bend to pressure to cut maybe the finest joke in the movie, which was a shame.

You know the scene where Lilly is trying to seduce Sheriff Bart. She turns off the lights and says "Is it true how you people are....gifted?"
Then you hear a "zip..."
Then she says "Oh its TWUE....IT'S TWUE!!!!"

The line that was cut was by Sheriff Bart, which was (paraphrasing here..)
"Sorry to shatter your illusions, Miss Lilly, but you're sucking on my elbow."

Donger
01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Gabby Johnson: I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.

Adept Havelock
01-04-2008, 01:21 PM
"So how many days do you have left on the set?"

"Eh, they lose me after the bunker scene."

Only Mel Brooks could work a Hitler cameo into a Western.

Rooster
01-04-2008, 01:22 PM
The line that was cut was by Sheriff Bart, which was (paraphrasing here..)
"Sorry to shatter your illusions, Miss Lilly, but you're sucking on my elbow."

ROFL That would have been awesome.

gblowfish
01-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Now who can argue with that?

Another good line:

"What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?"

Demonpenz
01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I have heard idiots around st joe use the movie to use the n word. they fail to see the movie protray's whites as the idiots.

Radar Chief
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Taggart: I hired you people to try to get a little track laid, not to jump around like a bunch of Kansas City pillowbiters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMf36qOEMP8&feature=related

;)

Carlota69
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
i will forgo my ususal schtick to point out that it is kind of sad that some white people use the movie to use degrade blacks in when the movie is actually ment to paint everyone pretty much in a bad light.

Ah, I dont understand....
Could you repeat that except this time, make sense?

tyton75
01-04-2008, 01:37 PM
"Oh BOYS... Look what I have here!"

"Where da white women at!??"

Best. Quote. Ever.

Radar Chief
01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs&feature=related

:fart: ROFL

Demonpenz
01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Ah, I dont understand....
Could you repeat that except this time, make sense?

the movie is really a smart movie, but there is some white trash people from where I live that use the movie to use the n word. They don't understand the movie makes the townfolk out to be idiots

Rooster
01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Lili Von Shtupp:

'...they just keep coming und going und going und coming and always too soon...'

Rooster
01-04-2008, 01:48 PM
One of my favorites.

Bart: Are we awake?
Jim The Waco Kid: We're not sure. Are we black?
Bart: Yes we are.
Jim The Waco Kid: Then we're awake, but we're very puzzled.

Carlota69
01-04-2008, 01:53 PM
the movie is really a smart movie, but there is some white trash people from where I live that use the movie to use the n word. They don't understand the movie makes the townfolk out to be idiots

Gotcha.

There is no doubt this movie is making fun of racists, not being racists. But most peeps dont get that at all.

HonestChieffan
01-04-2008, 01:58 PM
white trash could be used as a slur could it not?

Demonpenz
01-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Gotcha.

There is no doubt this movie is making fun of racists, not being racists. But most peeps dont get that at all.

Ok i was just seeing if it was just where i live or if there are alot of people that don't understand it

Demonpenz
01-04-2008, 02:51 PM
what do you do for fun?

play chess

screw..

lets play chess

ClevelandBronco
01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

nbkc fan
01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
We'll take the n*****s and the c****s, but not the irish!

terrible, terrible (but funny) quote

Carlota69
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Ok i was just seeing if it was just where i live or if there are alot of people that don't understand it

No you live where they dont understand it--The planet earth...

Adept Havelock
01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Gotcha.

Yep. Just like that classic "All in the Family".

Carlota69
01-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Yep. Just like that classic "All in the Family".

Exactly.

Deberg_1990
01-04-2008, 04:26 PM
This flick couldnt be made in todays "PC friendly world"

Or at the least, it wouldnt be near as funny.

Oxford
01-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Mongo: "The Sherrif is a nig..."(Bong!!!)
Townsperson: "What did he say?"
Townsperson #2 " He said the Sherrif is near!"
Mongo: "No dangnabit!! The sherrif is a Nig.."(Bong)
Townsperson: "The Sherrif is near!!!"

I love this movie!

Gabby Johnson had those lines (the sheriff is a nig....)

"I'd like to present this laurel and hardy handskake to our new n..."

The sight gags are classic also, the KKK members with the smiley face and "have a nice day" on their sheets. What a hoot....

Stewie
01-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Qualifications?
Rape, murder, arson, and rape.
You said rape twice.
I like rape.

the Talking Can
01-05-2008, 07:44 AM
"Where are all the white women at?"

funniest line, period....I have to believe that Pryor wrote that scene

smartest comedy ever...

the Talking Can
01-05-2008, 07:45 AM

FAX

the first time you've disappointed me, fax...but I'll get over it

InChiefsHell
01-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Wah Rhett, how many times have I told you to wash up after our weekly cross burnin's?...(turns Bart's hand palm up) see, it's coming off...

(Headly removes the hood)

Bart: And now for my next impression...Jesse Owens!

This is one of the greatest movies ever made, because it pretty much messes with white people in a way that is funny and poingnant. Being a white guy, I was not insulted at all...and I don't see one thing in this movie that degrades black people. Or native Americans...

Indian Chief "Swartzes....they darker than us!"

BigRedChief
01-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Some info from the 30th anniversary DVD put together by Wild over on the Coalition.
------------------------------------------------------

I was amazed at some of the facts about Blazing Saddles as I listened to the documentary.

Of course is was a parody but is had the serious intent to combat racism by using parody.

Almost to a person all the folks who made the movie and were in the movie talk about the absolute talent of Madeline Kahn. Mel Brooks said that only her modesty kept her from doing anything she wanted in the entertainment field. Brooks hired her for the part because Kahn did a spot on imitation of Marlene Dietrich in try outs and had the perfect legs for the part of Lili. Kahn died in 1999 from cancer.

They relied on Slim Pickins to help the actors with the real "cowboy" stuff in the movie.

Originally Mel Brooks wanted Gene Wilder to play Hedley Lamarr, but Wilder turned it down and offered to play the Waco Kid. But Brooks wanted an older, leathery guy and sought both Dan Dailey and Gig Young. Brooks finally gave the part to Wilder.

James Earl Jones was the original choice for Bart, followed by Richard Pryor and then Flip Wilson. But as Brooks said when none of that worked out, Cleavon Little came forth and was the best choice they could have made. Brooks said Little was one of the greatest guys he ever knew. Little died at 53 from colon cancer.

Richard Pryor wrote part of Blazing Saddles (actually 5 writers including Brooks and Pryor had bought a script and reworked it into Blazing Saddles). Pryor wrote the Mongo scenes. By the way, there were two other options for how Bart tames Mongo besides the Candygram. Both of them are pretty funny as well.

Burton Gilliam - Lyle -- said that Brooks came to one during the shooting and said -- I am going to make you famous. Gilliam said he was just trying to get through Blazing Saddles so he could get back other work. Brooks told him he would never have to worry about work again. Brooks chose Gilliam to be the first person in movies to cut a fart on screen. Lyle is the first cowboy to lift his leg and let is rip in the campfire scene. The other folks making the movie told Brooks not to make the farts so loud, but Brooks said they had to be. It turned out Brooks was right because after the first one the laughter in the theatres was so loud no one would ever had heard the rest.

Brooks also noted that Blazing Saddles was the first movie to get some things in it like the farting scene in the campfire, but they nixed one joke in the movie. In the scene where Lili unzips Bart's pants (in the dark) and says "It's twue, it's twue.." Bart was supposed to say, "I'm flattered that you are impressed, but you are sucking on my arm". Brooks said the censors turned him down on that one...

Lastly, it was noted that many life long friendships came out of Blazing Saddles. Apparently, whereas in many movies there is strife behind the scenes and during the filming, the folks who made Blazing Saddles had a blast together making the movie. As Burton Gilliam said -- Only Mel, Gene, Harvey and Cleavon really knew what was going on - the rest of us were just having a great time.

acesn8s
01-13-2008, 11:47 PM
So I decided to watch Blazing Saddles the other day on AMC. It wasn't too funny because so much had been edited out as not to "offend" anyone. Why do they feel the need to edit a film that shows how narrow minded a person must be to use such language while on the other hand FX can show American History X without editing the same words where they are used in a derogatory manner?:shrug:

InChiefsHell
01-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, it's one of those movies that you shouldn't even bother watching the edited version.

EyePod
01-14-2008, 09:12 AM
It's so great that racism used to be a topic that everyone could enjoy as a family!

Extra Point
01-14-2008, 09:21 AM
The ultimate irony of racism in the flick was "One more step, and the ****** gets it!"

acesn8s
01-14-2008, 10:51 AM
The ultimate irony of racism in the flick was "One more step, and the ****** gets it!""I think he really means it!"

gblowfish
01-14-2008, 10:58 AM
The guy who played Lyle does car commercials in Dallas, or at least he used to. I saw him on TV there a few years back