PDA

View Full Version : Damn Apartment Maintenance

DaFace
01-04-2008, 11:56 AM
So I wake up this morning to a leak in our kitchen. We're on the top floor of our apartment building, and it seems that with the snow melting, there's a giant puddle of water sitting up there somewhere and leaking down into our cabinets.

Anyway, I immediately called our apartment maintenance supervisor, and he tells me that they've had a couple other calls, and that a roofing crew is on the way and that there's nothing they can do in the meantime. Four hours later, they're still not here, and the leak that was once a drip in one cabinet is now a slow waterfall across about a 6 foot section of our kitchen. Apparently they still don't know when the roofing crew will be here.

All I want is for someone to go up there and push the snow off of wherever it's sitting so that it'll stop dripping. They can fix the damn thing later. But instead I have to sit here and babysit all these leaks so that I don't come home to a flooded apartment on Sunday.

Sigh.

Baconeater
01-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Does your apt have cathedral-type ceilings? If so, it's likely to be ice damming, and in that case they may not be able to do much about it.

StcChief
01-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Apts ... never on top floor. All heat rises. You cool everyone else.

DaFace
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM

You do realize I live in Denver right? Heat is a much greater concern than cooling.

Bump
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
my friend recently had a waterfall in his apartment because he dated a girl that lived right above him and seriously 1 or 2 days after they broke up her toilet ran for a day and it was basically raining in his apartment. A few days later it was covered in mold and he had to move out. Not only that but they dicked him over, he had to buy out his lease for $1,500. That's after they refused to do anything about it, they put some tape on the ceiling to fix it...lol, they gave her a new apartment and a month's free rent for her hassle....I didn't get that though.

Donger
01-04-2008, 12:17 PM

Which is actually a good thing in Denver.

DaFace
01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Does your apt have cathedral-type ceilings? If so, it's likely to be ice damming, and in that case they may not be able to do much about it.

It does, but that's not where the leak's coming in I don't think. Basically, there's a cutout in the middle of the building that's a flat roof. It's where they've got the air conditioners hiding. My kitchen's right up against that cutout. I think the water's just sitting there on the flat part and can't drain off.

I'd be happy if they'd just give me a ladder and tell me to go at it, but all I can do is sit here and wait.

TN_Chief
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Mike Solari isn't doing anything right now, maybe he could come fix your roof.

DaFace
01-04-2008, 03:23 PM
After 2:30 came and went without anyone coming to fix my leak, I decided I needed to come up with a contingency plan since I am leaving for the weekend in a few hours. Based on the rate water had been flowing in, I would have had around 5 gallons of water on my floor by the end of the night without someone here to dump drip bowls. Desperate measures were required.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6547/leakkg1.jpg

A – I drilled a hole into the side of an old bowl so that it catches the water leaking in along the top of the cabinet and then drips it in a single stream into the sink.
B – Ditto.
C – Same deal. That yellow stuff you see isn’t urine, either.
D – Green cling wrap. Water drips down from B and C and goes for a fun little ride like a kid on a slide into the sink.
E – Overturned champagne glasses to ensure that the chute maintains a nice concave shape.
F – Overturned rocks glasses to keep the curve goin and make sure that the water doesn’t bunch up on the edge of the sink.
G – The final destiny of all water coming in through my ceiling. No dumping required.
H – I think that’s my finger. Stupid camera phone.

Yeah, I ruined three bowls, but they were on their way to be donated anyway. Hopefully they get it fixed before I come back on Sunday, but if not, hopefully my creation will hold up.

Donger
01-04-2008, 03:27 PM
After 2:30 came and went without anyone coming to fix my leak, I decided I needed to come up with a contingency plan since I am leaving for the weekend in a few hours. Based on the rate water had been flowing in, I would have had around 5 gallons of water on my floor by the end of the night without someone here to dump drip bowls. Desperate measures were required.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6547/leakkg1.jpg

A – I drilled a hole into the side of an old bowl so that it catches the water leaking in along the top of the cabinet and then drips it in a single stream into the sink.
B – Ditto.
D – Green cling wrap. Water drips down from B and C and goes for a fun little ride like a kid on a slide into the sink.
E – Overturned champagne glasses to ensure that the chute maintains a nice concave shape.
F – Overturned rocks glasses to keep the curve goin and make sure that the water doesn’t bunch up on the edge of the sink.
G – The final destiny of all water coming in through my ceiling. No dumping required.

Yeah, I ruined three bowls, but they were on their way to be donated anyway. Hopefully they get it fixed before I come back on Sunday, but if not, hopefully my creation will hold up.

That's all good, but did you allow for the possibility that the drips will move as the amount of water coming through the ceiling decreases?

DaFace
01-04-2008, 03:29 PM
That's all good, but did you allow for the possibility that the drips will move as the amount of water coming through the ceiling decreases?

Eh, there's only so much I can do. And they've been in the same places for six hours now.

kepp
01-04-2008, 03:29 PM

B – Ditto.

If only you could have incorporated some antifreeze...

Donger
01-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Eh, there's only so much I can do. And they've been in the same places for six hours now.

Honestly, I'm only wondering why you have green cling wrap in the first place.

DaFace
01-04-2008, 03:31 PM

Haha...my wife made cookies for people for Christmas and bought that crap to wrap them in. I disclaim all responsibility.

SPchief
01-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Rainman uses it as part of his S&M research.

Donger
01-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Haha...my wife made cookies for people for Christmas and bought that crap to wrap them in. I disclaim all responsibility.

Oh sure. She made you buy that brushed nickel soap dispenser, too, I suppose?

DaFace
01-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh sure. She made you buy that brushed nickel soap dispenser, too, I suppose?

Na, I'll take partial responsibility for that one. Of course, it was a wedding present, but I didn't say "no" when she put it on our registry.

DaFace
01-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Perhaps, but fortunately that's not my department.

Donger
01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Na, I'll take partial responsibility for that one. Of course, it was a wedding present, but I didn't say "no" when she put it on our registry.

ROFL

I think we married the same girl.

stonedstooge
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Let the water go where it going to go and then drill holes in your floor so it runs into the apartment below you. That ought to take care of some of the problem.

Valiant
01-04-2008, 05:09 PM
my friend recently had a waterfall in his apartment because he dated a girl that lived right above him and seriously 1 or 2 days after they broke up her toilet ran for a day and it was basically raining in his apartment. A few days later it was covered in mold and he had to move out. Not only that but they dicked him over, he had to buy out his lease for $1,500. That's after they refused to do anything about it, they put some tape on the ceiling to fix it...lol, they gave her a new apartment and a month's free rent for her hassle....I didn't get that though.

He was not smart enough to take it to small claims court???

Coach
01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Just to let you know, make sure that you also notify the landlord about this incident, so that when you do move out, and they see something that is damanged, you shouldn't be charged for it.

Rain Man
01-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Laugh all you want, but people NEED that research.

DaFace
01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Alas, the best laid plans of mice and men...

We came home to a mildly flooded kitchen. In case you have ever wondered whether a dripping stream of water can wear a hole in cling wrap, the answer is yes.

Thankfully, our floors are just cheap laminated crap, so there really weren't any casualties other than a roll of paper towels and a stack of napkins. Everything else was washable.

Skip Towne
01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
You are a failed flume fabricator.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Repost. :p

kstater
01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Next question would be why RainMan doesn't pay DaFace enough to afford a house, when RainMan can afford exotic trips to places like Kansas City.

DaFace
01-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Next question would be why RainMan doesn't pay DaFace enough to afford a house, when RainMan can afford exotic trips to places like Kansas City.

Heh...that has very little to do with the pay, and very much to do with student loans and fricken insane real estate prices in this place.

kstater
01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Heh...that has very little to do with the pay, and very much to do with student loans and fricken insane real estate prices in this place.

I know, Denver isn't a cheap place to live.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2008, 07:15 PM

I would be genuinely amazed it the real estate was crazier than Seattle WA right now. I feel like I moved to New York and nobody ****ing told me.

DaFace
01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I would be genuinely amazed it the real estate was crazier than Seattle WA right now. I feel like I moved to New York and nobody ****ing told me.

It appears that you're correct. CNN Money's cost of living calculator says that housing costs are about 25% higher in Seattle than in Denver. Sucks to be you!

However, I grew up in a town where I thought Wichita real estate was pretty damn expensive, which is 25% lower than Denver.

Skip Towne
01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I have an idea Rainman pays pretty well. He only hires people with masters degrees and he has a boatload of employees.

DaFace
01-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Heh...real estate in Queens is 52% higher than Seattle, and Manhattan is 183% higher. Yuck.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Heh...real estate in Queens is 52% higher than Seattle, and Manhattan is 183% higher. Yuck.

Wow. Manhattan must have run of the mill apartments in not great neighborhoods going for around 6k a month.

Buehler445
01-06-2008, 08:47 PM

I hear you about the student loans. Living isn't real expensive here, but my house costs a shitload to heat. Heh, good thing it didn't get over 20 for a month and a half. AWESOME.

Sorry to hear about your place man. Hope cleanup went OK.

acesn8s
01-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I would be genuinely amazed it the real estate was crazier than Seattle WA right now. I feel like I moved to New York and nobody ****ing told me.Seatle was the city on the west coast. Not the east coast. It should be on the left side of the map of the US.

in case you got confused.