PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Light : Do you turn when you have a red arrow ?

ROYC75
01-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Do you turn when you have a red arrow in a turning lane and nobody is around, no cars, just you at the traffic light on a red arrow but both lanes have a green light ?

I see this often here in our small town on the bypass at this one light.

BigVE
01-04-2008, 10:23 PM
If know one sees you and no cops are around does it matter? You could either lie or tell the truth and nobody would know the difference. Me? I wait.

kstater
01-04-2008, 10:24 PM
No, I don't, but I weird like that.

JBucc
01-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm a true renegade. I go straight.

VonneMarie
01-04-2008, 10:27 PM
All the damn time. I'm impatient like that.

RJ
If the rule is to wait, I wait. I suppose I am a dweeb when it comes to law and order, but that's just me.

Baconeater
Hell yeah, I hate those blasted things and they're becoming more and more common. I can see certain busy intersections and ones with vision obstructions having them but some of them are just effing ridiculous. If you can't tell if it's safe to execute a left turn you shouldn't have a ****ing driver's license to begin with.

alanm
01-04-2008, 10:31 PM
No, it's the same as running a red light.
Aren't you a Police officer Roy? You're not sitting by the intersection generating revenue for the city are you? :)

Logical
01-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Depends on the state, here in CA it is legal as long as you come to a complete stop and proceed when traffic is clear. The law here is the same for Red lights and Red Arrows. I do not think this is true any many states.

Logical
01-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Depends on the state, here in CA it is legal as long as you come to a complete stop and proceed when traffic is clear. The law here is the same for Red lights and Red Arrows. I do not think this is true any many states.

By the way I assume you were talking about right turn red arrows. It is not legal to do a left unless it is onto a one way street from a one way street. I would never do it on a left. You actually did not tell what type of arrow you were talking about.

kstater
01-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I would think he's talking about left turn arrows.

Guru
01-04-2008, 10:40 PM
As much as it burns me to do it, I usually just wait it out. never know when that officer is hiding right around the corner.

FAX
01-04-2008, 10:43 PM
According to the latest discoveries by some Swedish guys in the field of quantum mechanics, if no one is around to consciously observe your completely illegal and highly dangerous driving tactic, it's perfectly okay, Mr. ROYC75.

FAX

Baconeater
01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
By the way I assume you were talking about right turn red arrows. It is not legal to do a left unless it is onto a one way street from a one way street. I would never do it on a left. You actually did not tell what type of arrow you were talking about.
A right turn on a red light is legal unless it's posted not to, but if it's a red right turn arrow I would assume it means don't make the right turn at all. We don't have any of those here, although we do have some intersections that have "no right turn" signs that light up when the opposing traffic has the left turn arrow, which is basically the same thing.

BWillie
01-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Are you in a left hand turning lane with a red left hand arrow? And the #1 and #2 lanes to your right have a green light or both lanes in each direction have a green light? Eh? Please clarify.

keg in kc
01-04-2008, 11:31 PM
I wait it out. Generally when I see someone run one, I think "what an asshole". It would be a bit hypcritical if I did the same thing.

BWillie
01-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Whatever you do don't take a left hand turn on a solid light that has just turned red and get T-Boned by oncoming traffic who also has a red light...because you will be screwed.

Demonpenz
01-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Whatever you do don't take a left hand turn on a solid light that has just turned red and get T-Boned by oncoming traffic who also has a red light...because you will be screwed.

but but they ran a red light!
Your duty to clear the intersection.

Baconeater
01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Yep if you both ran the red light you're still at fault for failing to yield.

BIG K
01-05-2008, 12:25 AM

True here in CA. As they say, a 'common sense' law...If you cause an accident on the other hand......

Extra Point
01-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Right turn on red after roll. Left turn on red after clear. It's that simple. Issue tickets only after damage is a result.

ROYC75
01-05-2008, 11:21 AM
No, it's the same as running a red light.
Aren't you a Police officer Roy? You're not sitting by the intersection generating revenue for the city are you? :)

Not anymore, I was in 1983 when I lived in Kansas.

ROYC75
01-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Are you in a left hand turning lane with a red left hand arrow? And the #1 and #2 lanes to your right have a green light or both lanes in each direction have a green light? Eh? Please clarify.

Yes, this is the senario .

I use to work in the building next to the intersection for 3 years, I seen several people just go right thru.

At times I have popped up over a small high just down the road to see people doing it.

So I was just wondering.