PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else catch Thompson's gay joke?

wazu
01-05-2008, 06:49 PM
During tonight's debate on ABC, there was a moment when Romney was talking about enforcing a mandate for people to buy health insurance, and Fred jumped in and gave the group a healthy dosage of Beavis and Butthead humor. Paraphrased, he was saying, "Governor I didn't realize that you liked "MAN" "DATES", while grinning ear to ear. Romney looked at him and kind of moved on, treating it like a serious remark. Pretty unusual for a Presidential debate. I've always thought the debates could use more gay jokes to lighten the mood, so Fred Thompson's stock just went up in my book.

dirk digler
01-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Fred impressed me tonight. Everyone was picking on patteeu's boy or girl with the way he was acting tonight.

I think patteeu better pick another candidate because he is weak and girly

recxjake
01-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Fred looked good, just to late to matter... he isn't even campaigning in NH...

Rudy had a good night

Huck didn't matter

Paul didn't get much air time

Romney got thrashed by all-- YES!

McCain did well too.

dirk digler
01-05-2008, 07:13 PM

Rudy had a good night

Huck didn't matter

McCain did well too.

I agree. Though I think Huck made several good points so I wouldn't go as far as didn't matter.

Taco John
01-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Mitt Romney, The Republican John Kerry

Cochise
01-05-2008, 07:25 PM

How the hell is Fred too late to matter, when he's watching on South Carolina, while your guy is waiting on the state 3 states from now?

Anyway, glad to hear Fred is getting some good reviews. Didn't catch it tonight but I'm going to DVR a replay.

recxjake
01-05-2008, 07:32 PM
How the hell is Fred too late to matter, when he's watching on South Carolina, while your guy is waiting on the state 3 states from now?

Anyway, glad to hear Fred is getting some good reviews. Didn't catch it tonight but I'm going to DVR a replay.

He's broke.

DaKCMan AP
01-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Giuliani eats babies.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2008, 07:49 PM

Rudy had a good night

Huck didn't matter

McCain did well too.

My, but the air must be gettin' thin.....out their in La-la land. ROFL

He's broke.

Keep thinking that....heh.

:)

Cochise
01-05-2008, 07:57 PM
He's broke.

So was Huckabee. He was broke all the way to first in Iowa.

Silock
01-05-2008, 08:05 PM
I thought Mitt was going to start crying while yelling "STOP PICKING ON ME, YOU MEANIES!" Clearly came out badly in this debate, despite making some good points.

Paul got hammered on Foreign policy and didn't explain his position very well, but I thought he recovered nicely after they moved on to other topics. He never does explain his position very well, though, and that's going to really hurt him.

McCain did okay, I thought. Rudy was Rudy. Huckabee was quiet and reserved, probably didn't sway many people.

I think Thompson probably had the best performance, even though he looks like his face is melting off of his head.

Sully
01-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I saw that, and didn't immediately see it as a gay joke, but looking ack, I can see it.
If he truly did mean it that way, it's very disappointing.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I saw that, and didn't immediately see it as a gay joke, but looking ack, I can see it.
If he truly did mean it that way, it's very disappointing.

If you didn't see it that way, it probably wasn't....it was probably more of a "Republicans abhor government mandates, don't we? Or at least we USE to, Mitt" 'gotcha' moment in Fred's mind, anyway.

Sully
01-05-2008, 08:11 PM
If you didn't see it that way, it probably wasn't....it was probably more of a "Republicans abhor government mandates, don't we? Or at least we USE to, Mitt" 'gotcha' moment in Fred's mind, anyway.
That's how I saw it at the time.
It was an awkward 10-15 seconds, and I couldn't figure out what the nervous giggling was about. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.

wazu
01-05-2008, 08:37 PM

I'm sure this would be the campaign's response if asked about it, but did you see the debate? The smirk on his face and the juvenile "gotta get this dig in" way he delivered it seemed pretty clear to me. I think he even said it a second time and it looked like he was about to break out in giggles.

Ultra Peanut
01-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Mitt Romney, The Republican John KerryExactly.

dirk digler
01-05-2008, 08:57 PM
So did anyone watch the Dem debate?

My rankings from the debate

1. Edwards
2. Obama
3. Clinton
4. Richardson

cookster50
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I loved Clinton chastising the rest for changing positions. I laughed out loud. Hillary "What do the polls say I should do today" Clinton.

Sully
01-05-2008, 09:00 PM
So did anyone watch the Dem debate?

My rankings from the debate

1. Edwards
2. Obama
3. Clinton
4. Richardson
Most of it.\
I'd rank Obama higher than Edwards simply because he was the clear leader on the stage. Edwards did well, but also seemed to take the "L'il Buddy" role because, as the analysts say, his fortunes are tied to Hillary's demise, so he has to align with Obama. Obama's leadership, as a whole, and on that stage is impressive. Richardson is someone I like, but to many times he seemed too whiny with the "I'm the only one with foreign policy experience" schtick.

dirk digler
01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Most of it.\
I'd rank Obama higher than Edwards simply because he was the clear leader on the stage. Edwards did well, but also seemed to take the "L'il Buddy" role because, as the analysts say, his fortunes are tied to Hillary's demise, so he has to align with Obama. Obama's leadership, as a whole, and on that stage is impressive. Richardson is someone I like, but to many times he seemed too whiny with the "I'm the only one with foreign policy experience" schtick.

Good point. As an Obama supporter I am trying real hard to be objective :D

recxjake
01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
The Democratic debate seemed boring to me... but I don't find listening to how my taxes will be raised or how my health care will be ruined all that exciting.

dirk digler
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
The Democratic debate seemed boring to me... but I don't find listening to how my taxes will be raised or how my health care will be ruined all that exciting.

I wouldn't go as far as boring but I think they had a hard time following up on the Mitt bashing debate

Taco John
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
It was definitely a gay joke...

That said, I think Fred helped himself a little tonight. I think Rudy, Mitt, and McCain really hurt themselves, particularly on the immigration debate.

Ultra Peanut
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I actually thought Hillary did a nice job, and even Richardson was pretty endearing. Edwards was the best in terms of pure performance, but Obama probably benefits the most by virtue of having Edwards as a tag partner.

Romney's implosion is hilarious. I fully expect his robot kids to snap at some point and say, "We drove around that godforsaken hellhole for months, god damnit! I hate them I hate them I hate them!"

McCain could rape a puppy on the stage and still win NH handily. With Romney falling apart, though, Huckabee has a real shot at 2nd.

wazu
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
McCain could rape a puppy on the stage...

Funny that you say that, cause I think he actually did.

Taco John
01-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Ron Paul knocked the oil & gas question flat out of the park...

wazu
01-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Ron Paul knocked the oil & gas question flat out of the park...

I loved that. I almost posted about it earlier, myself. It was great when the question was asked how everybody sat there silently, and the host said, "anyone?". Ron Paul raised his hand and proceeded to give the perfect answer.

I also thought he did a great job with the "Obama" question. I got the impression he was targetting Obama fans to cross over and vote for him as a candidate for change that didn't carry the welfare state baggage.

Logical
01-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Ron Paul knocked the oil & gas question flat out of the park...I think he IMO should have been the clean winner. He stayed quiet in the no win issues section and hit home runs when he did get his voice heard.

Silock
01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I thought Hillary beat the shit out of everyone in the Dem debate. I really hate her, but she did very well.

NewChief
01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Most of it.\

I loved watching Hillary as Edwards finally made the move to tag team her with Obama. She kept her face a mask, but you could feel telepathic waves of rage and frustration emanating from her. I also love Obama's response to her quoting of the AP article saying he could have a debate with himself, "I think you're referring to a quote in the article from one of your staff."

NewChief
01-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I thought Hillary beat the shit out of everyone in the Dem debate. I really hate her, but she did very well.

Eh, I don't think so. She didn't help her likeability issue much, even though she tried to play it cool with the, "That hurts my feelings" comment. Edwards and Obama double teaming on her made her seem out of touch and very much a part of the status quo.

patteeu
01-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I think he IMO should have been the clean winner. He stayed quiet in the no win issues section and hit home runs when he did get his voice heard.

I think he looked pretty weak right off the top when they were discussing foreign policy. I started to feel sorry for him because all 5 of the others were kind of ganging up on him. He did better later on.

Taco John
01-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I think he looked pretty weak right off the top when they were discussing foreign policy. I started to feel sorry for him because all 5 of the others were kind of ganging up on him. He did better later on.

I actually liked that. I thought it made the others look like children.

HolmeZz
01-05-2008, 10:14 PM

I don't see how she helped herself and she sounds like an idiot when she complains about the blank war check Bush was given. That was your doing, sweety.

Ultra Peanut
01-05-2008, 10:19 PM
This isn't really related to the debates, but McCain's town hall meeting this morning actually had me cheering at the TV in support of his statements about nuclear energy. Obama's the most progressive of the viable Democrats on the issue, but I think McCain's even more supportive of nuclear power, and he framed his support of both nuclear energy and efforts to combat global warming in a really effective, convincing manner.

Logical
01-05-2008, 10:38 PM

If being the most shrill to get your point across is beating the shit out of your opponents, who can disagree. If making legitimate points that the voters are going to get behind I definitely disagree.

Some else earlier said they thought that Edwards had the best point and seemed the most civil. I agree with that. I still like Obama the most of those who were debating tonight.

Logical
01-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I think he looked pretty weak right off the top when they were discussing foreign policy. I started to feel sorry for him because all 5 of the others were kind of ganging up on him. He did better later on.Of course you thought he did poorly in this area because he was the only candidate disagreeing with your desire.