PDA

View Full Version : June Jones to leave Hawai'i for SMU

Ultra Peanut
01-05-2008, 10:38 PM
In addition to this older update, and news of his resignation at Hawai'i, SMU has scheduled a press conference for Monday.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/
June Jones Watch
3:00 PM Fri, Jan 04, 2008 | Permalink
Kate Hairopoulos E-mail News tips

We reported today that SMU has made an offer to Hawaii’s June Jones to fill its coaching opening. Just got off the phone with Leigh Steinberg, Jones’ agent, and here’s the latest:

*Hawaii has made its offer to extend Jones’ contract, which ends June 30. The university chancellor released a statement yesterday confirming Hawaii's intent to do so. Steinberg didn't reveal the offer's specifics. It has been widely reported that Hawaii's commitment to facilities and the recruiting and program budget is quite poor. Jones made $800,000 this season. SMU is offering between $1.7-$2 million, according to sources. It remains to be seen if NFL teams are also in play. The Honolulu Advertiser has reported that Steinberg has had discussions with one pro team.

Reerun_KC
01-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Damn! I would hate to leave Hawaii for SMU, but Hawaii are a bunch of cheap tight asses, you cant blame him though...

Ultra Peanut
01-05-2008, 10:43 PM
The thing about SMU is that they've got Steve Orsini, who built UCF up from absolutely nothing to having their own on-campus stadium with a ton of energy around their program in the span of a decade. With him, and now a coach who built a nationally-known program out of what was for the longest time a joke, plus the school's location and massive resources?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but SMU may finally be on the way back. They have the support, they have the stadium, they have the money, they have the AD; and now they have the coach.

the Talking Can
aloha, June

Deberg_1990
Wow...im surprised he left?

I guess it was all about $$$ though?

He should have SMU competing in a few years. Texas is obviously more of a hotbed for talent than Hawaii.

eazyb81
01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Can't blame him, he took Hawaii as far as they are gonna go.

SMU has a ton more money, is in the heart of a fertile recruiting area, and has football tradition.

DaKCMan AP
01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
****! I was really looking forward to beating his ass down August 31st.

Ultra Peanut
01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow...im surprised he left?

I guess it was all about $$$ though?Money, plus probably an inability for Hawai'i to improve things like budgets and facilities to his liking.

Mecca
01-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Jones is leaving at the same time Brennan and Bess are...can't say I blame him...he isn't gonna get to many other guys to make him look like that out there.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I wonder if he will ever come back to the NFL???

Skip Towne
01-05-2008, 10:53 PM
The thing about SMU is that they've got Steve Orsini, who built UCF up from absolutely nothing to having their own on-campus stadium with a ton of energy around their program in the span of a decade. With him, and now a coach who built a nationally-known program out of what was for the longest time a joke, plus the school's location and massive resources?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but SMU may finally be on the way back. They have the support, they have the stadium, they have the money, they have the AD; and now they have the coach.
On their way back? When were they anything? Yeah, I know about the Pony Express but they still weren't much.

the Talking Can
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
the beauty of College sports..Brennan made Jones about a million in salary...

88TG88
01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
In comes Norm Chow.

Skip Towne
01-05-2008, 11:10 PM
I'd hate to go from Hawaii to Dallas. It must be a bunch of money.

Cochise
01-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Well, good for SMU I guess. It's a shame that everyone at that school is still suffering for stuff that they didn't have any involvement in... it was 20 years ago now.

Reaper16
01-05-2008, 11:42 PM
/slips ring on finger, disappears, sails to elfin village.

KCChiefsFan88
01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
It is about money... probably just as much about the amount of $$$ SMU is going to commit to their football program, compared to what Hawaii is able to as anything

Hawaii has crappy facilities and a small recruiting budget... Jones probably saw what happened in the Sugar Bowl and realized there is a ceiling to the level of success a program like Hawaii can achieve.

chiefqueen
01-06-2008, 01:04 AM
On their way back? When were they anything? Yeah, I know about the Pony Express but they still weren't much.

Gee Skip, now you making me feel old. I remember when they were good in the 80's (and WHY they were good).

Fruit Ninja
01-06-2008, 04:06 AM
He would be a good OC in the NFL. He knows the spread offense like the top 4 teams are running very very well.

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2008, 05:26 AM
/slips ring on finger, disappears, sails to elfin village.ahhh ****

Well there goes our entire passing game for the next decade.

Gee Skip, now you making me feel old. I remember when they were good in the 80's (and WHY they were good).It's about that money, money. Yeah, yeah.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2008, 09:48 AM
ahhh ****

Well there goes our entire passing game for the next decade.

It's about that money, money. Yeah, yeah.

ROFL Brooklyn, Brooklyn :rockon:

It would be interesting to see June Jones lead SMU back from the Death Penalty. It would almost be like...,

http://image.allmusic.com/00/avg/cov200/drv000/v045/v04542vvdfi.jpg

Mr. Laz
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Hawaii has got to be bumming .... they're screwed.

i guess "nice place, but wouldn't want to live there" really does apply sometimes.

Frazod
01-06-2008, 11:48 AM

i guess "nice place, but wouldn't want to live there" really does apply sometimes.

Cost of living is brutal in Hawaii as well. That raise Jones is getting will certainly feel a lot bigger than it is.

splatbass
01-06-2008, 12:23 PM

I think he loves living here, but the reality is they just aren't going to pay him enough, or improve the facilities or recruiting budget.

splatbass
01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Cost of living is brutal in Hawaii as well. That raise Jones is getting will certainly feel a lot bigger than it is.

Brutal is right. When you factor the cost of living in he really is paid very poorly for a college head coach.

The people here will be sorry to see him go, but I think everyone understands. No one will blame him for leaving.

It seems more people are blaming the athletic director for him leaving:

http://www.kitv.com/sports/14988001/detail.html

HONOLULU -- Boosters for the University of Hawaii said they want UH Athletic Director Herman Frazier fired because they said they blame him for the departure of Warriors football coach June Jones.

A group of boosters said they are raising funds in hopes of buying out Frazier's contract, but the university would first have to end Frazier's contract, and UH officials Saturday night had no comment on that. Frazier did not comment either.

the Talking Can
01-06-2008, 12:30 PM
He can retire in Hawaii...but million bucks is a million bucks...

Mr. Laz
01-06-2008, 12:33 PM
He can retire in Hawaii...but million bucks is a million bucks...
oh dam ....... i was so rooting for "The Hopping Schlong" this time.

darn :(

ROFL

HolmeZz
01-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I was saddened by the absence of splatbass when Brennan was getting his lunch fed to him by UGA.

splatbass
01-06-2008, 06:34 PM
I was saddened by the absence of splatbass when Brennan was getting his lunch fed to him by UGA.

It looked to me like the OL was at fault there. Brennan had less time in the pocket than Croyle ever did. The OL made the Chiefs OL look good by comparison. And Brennan showed a lot of guts standing in there and taking the beating. Even after he was knocked out of the game he wanted back in. He has a lot of heart, and a lot of guts, as well as a lot of talent.

You aren't being fair if you blame that on Brennan. Georgia just overpowered and outplayed UH on both O and D. Brennan never had a chance.

Mojo Rising
01-06-2008, 07:43 PM
The UH budget is pretty bad from what I read. Apparently Brennan had to lobby through the paper to get soap in the showers. Also, they videotaped practices using a handi cam that Jones had won in a golf tourney.

HolmeZz
01-06-2008, 08:25 PM
It looked to me like the OL was at fault there. Brennan had less time in the pocket than Croyle ever did. The OL made the Chiefs OL look good by comparison. And Brennan showed a lot of guts standing in there and taking the beating. Even after he was knocked out of the game he wanted back in. He has a lot of heart, and a lot of guts, as well as a lot of talent.

You aren't being fair if you blame that on Brennan. Georgia just overpowered and outplayed UH on both O and D. Brennan never had a chance.

It can't be put into words how awful Brennan was. He had plenty of time to throw on a good number of plays. Graunke came in and looked much better than Brennan. Colt couldn't have had a worse night.

splatbass
01-06-2008, 09:25 PM
It can't be put into words how awful Brennan was. He had plenty of time to throw on a good number of plays. Graunke came in and looked much better than Brennan. Colt couldn't have had a worse night.

When Graunke came in UGA put in their backups. He had no pressure at all. Didn't you notice that? Do you know anything about football?

splatbass
01-06-2008, 09:28 PM
An update on the local news here in Honolulu said that Jones is in Texas now meeting with SMU, but there is a possible snag in talks. They said that Lee Steinberg, JJ's agent, is still in discussions with UH and that as of right now JJ is still HC of UH. They also said that salary isn't the main issue, but the facilities and recruiting budget are.

HolmeZz
01-06-2008, 09:37 PM
When Graunke came in UGA put in their backups. He had no pressure at all. Didn't you notice that? Do you know anything about football?

You're full of it, dude. That game was long decided and Brennan continued to suck. Then he gets hurt and Graunke immediately comes in and starts making plays and better throws than Brennan did all night. And he wasn't getting any more time than Brennan had got.

I can see why you're hanging on to Brennan, with your program on the verge of going back to irrelevance.

splatbass
01-06-2008, 11:13 PM
You're full of it, dude. That game was long decided and Brennan continued to suck. Then he gets hurt and Graunke immediately comes in and starts making plays and better throws than Brennan did all night. And he wasn't getting any more time than Brennan had got.

I can see why you're hanging on to Brennan, with your program on the verge of going back to irrelevance.

You must have watched a different game than me. Graunke was never under the kind of pressure Brennan was. You are letting your strange, obsessive hatred of Brennan color your view.