PDA

View Full Version : There's One AFC Team That is Likely to Derail the Patriots and....

Amnorix
01-05-2008, 10:47 PM
.....it ain't the Jaguars. Saw every snap of Steelers-Jags, which was a good and exciting game. What you saw the Steelers do in the second half against them is what the Pats will do from the start. 4 and 5 wide, spread 'em out and pass on them to death. The Pats can do this much better than the Steelers can, and the Steelers were very successful.

Once the Jags heads are spinning, you'll see more runs off draws and such, but you can sure as hell bet the Pats won't keep banging their head against a wall by trying to run the way the Steelers did.

I don't mean to denigrate the Jags at all. A very good team, well coached, tough as nails, and with alot of talent. I happily admit their running game is better than ours, and their run defense is better than ours. In 1975 that would mean they'd win. This is 2007, however, and it's not all about the run anymore.

If the weather truly sucks, then the odds shift heavily in favor of the Jags over what it would otherwise be. Note that "sucks" doesn't mean snow, or even rain or cold. What it really means is WIND.

The one team that is likely to derail us remains the Colts. 15-1 but for (1) a shanked <30 yard figgie, and (2) a throw-away game at the end of the season, the Colts are very real with or without Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney.

I was more worried about the Jags before I watched this game. They would've/could've lost but for Big Ben having a truly horrific first half and Tomlin being stupid enough to go for 2 twice when (1) it was too early, and (2) he had a penalty and got moved back to the 12. I doubt the Pats will implode like that.

blueballs
01-05-2008, 10:51 PM
TONY ROMO

Amnorix
01-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Note I said "AFC" Team. Unlike last year, when the winner of Pats-Colts was clearly going to crush whatever pathetic sacrifice the NFC offered up, this year it's entirely possible that Dallas will put up a very good game, or even win.

If Dallas is upset, however, then I think it's whoever wins the AFC in a cakewalk.

kcfanintitanhell
01-05-2008, 10:55 PM
What about the Chargers? Norv isn't an upgrade over Marty, but they ain't exactly chopped liver.

Guru
01-05-2008, 10:55 PM
go Green Bay!!!!!

Huffman83
01-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Honestly at this point....it's pretty much who is going to play NE in the Superbowl.

Though I think the Ind/NE (if it happens) game will be a bigger deal than the superbowl.

As far as NFC goes...I think Green Bay could keep it interesting for a superbowl.

doomy3
yep, everyone's sleeping on the Chargers...

unothadeal
go Green Bay!!!!!
Wooo!

keg in kc
I'd normally say this as a joke, but I'm serious now: the only team that's going to stop the Patriots is the Patriots. They're one of the most complete teams in the history of the NFL and by far the most balanced since the Cowboys of the early-90s. To do what they've done in this era, to build a team this strong in every facet of the game, is just this side of impossible. They should win the thing going away, and if they don't, it'll be one of the biggest choke-jobs ever in any sport. They're Goliath in a league full of Davids.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2008, 10:57 PM
The Patriots have been playing a lot of close games lately against teams that couldn't shine the Jaguars' shoes.

Their ability to control the clock will be huge. They tackle well on defense, have a decent secondary, and have the DT's to collapse the pocket on Brady.

Amnorix
01-05-2008, 11:00 PM
The Patriots have been playing a lot of close games lately against teams that couldn't shine the Jaguars' shoes.

Their ability to control the clock will be huge. They tackle well on defense, have a decent secondary, and have the DT's to collapse the pocket on Brady.

So are you predicting a Jags win?

You're forgetting sports psychology. The Pats have been the de facto Super Bowl for EVERY team they played the second half of the season. It's impossible to get "up" for every game.

That won't b ea problem going forward.

Huffman83
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm not forgetting about the chargers....I'm just planning on them choking like most afc west teams tend to do in the playoffs. Unfortunately...the Broncos are not included.

Mecca
01-05-2008, 11:03 PM
The Jags just aren't good enough offensively to beat the Pats, there's a reason they always lose to the Colts...

Amnorix
01-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Colts will whack the Chargers with little fanfare.

doomy3
01-05-2008, 11:04 PM
So, if I'm reading your thread title correctly, you expect the Colts to beat the Pats??

Amnorix
01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
So, if I'm reading your thread title correctly, you expect the Colts to beat the Pats??

No. More that it would take an act of God for anyone else to beat the Pats, but that the Colts have a realistic shot regardless of weather or Brady having the worst game of his life.

I do EXPECT the Patriots to win, however.

doomy3
01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Your thread title is confusing then.

It reads that the Colts are likely to derail the Pats. You can understand the confusion.

Amnorix
01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I see where you're confused by my post. I should've said "one AFC team has a realistic shot to derail the Patriots", not "likely to", as that strongly suggests that it's more htan 50/50 that the Colts will do it.

I don't think the Colts will do it, or that they have a >50% chance of doing it.

tk13
01-05-2008, 11:12 PM
I think the best two shots to take the Pats down are probably A) the Colts and B) Brett Favre entering a zone that only Brett Favre can enter and playing out of his mind.

Direckshun
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Yeah I don't think talent can beat the Pats.

They're only going to lose to a team with amazing heart. The Ravens had that and but for a freak mistake, would have beat them. The Packers and the Colts have that.

The Jags are a talented team, the Cowboys are talented, but neither team sports the heart of Favre or Manning.

Bump
01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
ya I think that the jags would be the team to do it in the AFC, since the weather won't be so great I'm not sure if the Colts will be able to win in NE.

For the NFC, I have a feeling that the cowboys are going town and T.O. is gonna go postal (if he plays)

kstater
01-06-2008, 05:48 AM
Imagine the hype if Pats and Pack make it to the Super Bowl. :Lin:

chagrin
01-06-2008, 06:20 AM
What about the Chargers? Norv isn't an upgrade over Marty, but they ain't exactly chopped liver.

They ain't but Norv is

Spott
01-06-2008, 06:30 AM
From the day one, this entire season has been about who will win the real Super Bowl in a couple of weeks when the Patriots play the Colts. Every other team in the NFL is just playing for third place.

boogblaster
01-06-2008, 06:46 AM
GO PACK ....

Lzen
01-06-2008, 08:03 AM
What I've been saying for the past couple of months:

It's simple, really. The only way another team will be able to beat the Pats is to break Tom Brady.

Chan93lx50
01-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Hell will freeze over before the patriots lose in the playoffs this year!

Deberg_1990
01-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I dont think the Bolts with Rivers can match the Colts and Pats blow for Blow.

Same with the Jags and Garrard.

Its a QB league and the Colts and Pats have the two best.

Should be a hell of a game. Hopefully the weather is good.

RedNeckRaider
01-06-2008, 10:05 AM
No. More that it would take an act of Roger Goodell and his whistle toting idiots for anyone else to beat the Pats, but that the Colts have a realistic shot regardless of weather or Brady having the worst game of his life.

I do EXPECT the Patriots to win, however.
FYP :)

Bugeater
01-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Roger "Gadell"? Friggin' Raider fans. :shake:

RedNeckRaider
01-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Roger "Gadell"? Friggin' Raider fans. :shake:
Can tell you are trying to be a jerk but thanks anyway, I was too lazy to look it up and your post changed my mind.

Bugeater
01-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Can tell you are trying to be a jerk but thanks anyway, I was too lazy to look it up and your post changed my mind.
Well...so much for "somewhat amused". Get yourself a cup of coffee, grouch.

Edit: dammit..re-read the post again. Friggin' Chiefs fans... :shake:

StcChief
01-06-2008, 10:27 AM
TONY ROMOis a young choker

Amnorix
01-06-2008, 10:36 AM
FYP :)

ROFL

RedNeckRaider
01-06-2008, 10:45 AM
ROFL
ROFL DAMN IT! Just giving you little crap and it....well back fired :banghead:

milkman
01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I dont think the Bolts with Rivers can match the Colts

I would agree that the Bolts, with Rivers, can't match the Colts blow for blow.

But I believe that the Chargers can beat the Colts.

It all comes down to Tomlinson and the Chargers D.

If Tomlinson can put up some numbers against the Colts, and minimize the number of plays that the Chargers have to rely on Rivers to make, and the Chargers get pressure on Manning, who has shown over and over that he is a pussy under pressure, then the Chargers not only can win.

They will.

milkman
01-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't believe that there's a chance in hell that the Colts can beat the patriots in Foxborro.

RP_McMurphy
01-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Congratulations for saying something most true NFL fans have known since mid-season. Spread out the Jaguars and they become vunerable to the pass. However when you go spread your quarterback becomes very vunerable especially if the other team can generate a pass rush with it's 4 down lineman which Jacksonville was able to do last night. Right now the strength of the Jaguars is the offense and even on a bad night they put up 31 points on the road against a top 5 defense. The Jaguars know what needs to be done and it will be a tough game if they face the Patriots.