PDA

View Full Version : Do you hate the media center?

Fried Meat Ball!
01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Anyone other than me hate the media center? What would it take to get this place moved back to the lounge?

Deberg_1990
01-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Why do you hate it?

Threads not getting enough exposure?

QuikSsurfer
01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
It has been done before - then moved back.

I'd keep it here rather than clutter the lounge with geek and video game news.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Why do you hate it?

Threads not getting enough exposure?
Yep. I tend to forget about the media center and don't go there very often. I only remember to go when I see a thread I've posted in moved to the top (so it shows on the Lounge page).

Fried Meat Ball!
01-06-2008, 12:47 PM
It has been done before - then moved back.

I'd keep it here rather than clutter the lounge with geek and video game news.
What about movies, though? I think that's part of the problem -- there seems to be more interest in the movie threads, that still get stuck in here.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2008, 12:48 PM
What about movies, though? I think that's part of the problem -- there seems to be more interest in the movie threads, that still get stuck in here.

Its a tough call.

I tend to liek the media center because it does get rid of alot of the "geek" clutter on the main forum.

But i usually post my movies threads on the main page. So yes, im guilty.

Im torn....sigh...

Fried Meat Ball!
01-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Its a tough call.

I tend to liek the media center because it does get rid of alot of the "geek" clutter on the main forum.

But i usually post my movies threads on the main page. So yes, im guilty.

Im torn....sigh...
Which is kind of the point... maybe the geek-related stuff should be stashed away, out of sight (much like techies should be)... but there are a lot of people that post in the movie threads that wouldn't ever enter a geek thread.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Which is kind of the point... maybe the geek-related stuff should be stashed away, out of sight (much like techies should be)... but there are a lot of people that post in the movie threads that wouldn't ever enter a geek thread.

Your right,

Maybe the mods should just rename it the "Tech forum" instead of media center?

Then movie threads would still have a place on the main page.

meStevo
01-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm between don't care and love it. It focuses the conversation, and keeps it from being seen by a lot of morons that dominate the lounge.

QuikSsurfer
01-06-2008, 12:55 PM
I see more movie threads develop in the lounge than I do here - though they eventually get moved here.
I think you need separate forums where you have a variety of interests.
If our threads were merged with the lounge, we'd never see the xbox 360 and video game news/updates we've all come to appreciate. Why? Because goatse and petegz threads cover the main page.

Kraus
01-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I think it is fine as it is.

There is no way we'd get the same good discussion on certain threads (such as the E3 coverage) if it were in the lounge. We'd get dumbasses going "WTF is E3?"

Bowser
01-06-2008, 01:00 PM
There is nothing wrong with it. Keep it as is.

Guru
01-06-2008, 03:58 PM
I think it is fine as it is.

There is no way we'd get the same good discussion on certain threads (such as the E3 coverage) if it were in the lounge. We'd get dumbasses going "WTF is E3?"
Crap!!! You mean there are people that don't know that E3 is? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

:)

DaFace
01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I like it just because most MC threads would disappear off the front page in a number of hours. Having them separated lets me keep up on what's going on without having to dig through the lounge to find every MC thread.

TinyEvel
01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
It would be good if threads got a 'note" in the lounge. This place just doesn't get much traffic. If it's more of a media/pop-culture thing, I'll throw it on the lounge and take the hate.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm clearly in the minority here. So be it.

Braincase
01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
So, the Dem/Rep smaque is in D.C., the football smaque is in the main forum, and here we get Blue Ray.HD-DVD, Mac/PC, Wii/XBOX/PS3 smaque with occassional animations.

I like it.

DMAC
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
It was good when it was just Musicplanet. It was ruined with this nerd stuff.

So I don't care.

KcMizzou
01-06-2008, 08:35 PM
It was good when it was just Musicplanet. It was ruined with this nerd stuff.

So I don't care.On the other hand, I dig the "nerd stuff".

I'm smart enough to avoid the threads about obscure musicians I'll never care about... so it's fine with me the way it is.

KcMizzou
01-06-2008, 08:38 PM
It would be good if threads got a 'note" in the lounge. This place just doesn't get much traffic. If it's more of a media/pop-culture thing, I'll throw it on the lounge and take the hate.I find that Media Center topics posted in the main lounge don't get much hate (if any).

They stay there until they kinda die out, and then they're moved here... where there's not so much traffic, and they're easier to find.

KcMizzou
01-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Which is kind of the point... maybe the geek-related stuff should be stashed away, out of sight (much like techies should be)... but there are a lot of people that post in the movie threads that wouldn't ever enter a geek thread.Now see, that's funny as hell.

Like it or not, as a movie junkie, you're a geek. I know you don't like it, but it's true.

You may be an arrogant film snob geek, but you're still a geek.

Have fun wallowing in the threads about Batman, Video games, and Vista.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Now see, that's funny as hell.

Like it or not, as a movie junkie, you're a geek. I know you don't like it, but it's true.

You may be an arrogant film snob geek, but you're still a geek.

Have fun wallowing in the threads about Batman, Video games, and Vista.
Oh, there's no doubt about it! I'd be the first to admit I'm a geek.

That post was intended to be a bit of a joke -- but no one called me on it and I forgot to go back and address it.

And FTR, I'm a tech geek, too. I just don't normally post in those threads.

And arrogant? Really? I know I'm kind of a film snob, but I never really thought myself arrogant.

KcMizzou
01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh, there's no doubt about it! I'd be the first to admit I'm a geek.

That post was intended to be a bit of a joke -- but no one called me on it and I forgot to go back and address it.

And FTR, I'm a tech geek, too. I just don't normally post in those threads.

And arrogant? Really? I know I'm kind of a film snob, but I never really thought myself arrogant.That was a poor choice of words on my part. Way too harsh.

Sorry about that.

But you're still a geek, just like the rest of us. :D

Fried Meat Ball!
01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
That was a poor choice of words on my part. Way too harsh.

Sorry about that.

But you're still a geek, just like the rest of us. :D
There never was a doubt.

KcMizzou
01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
FWIW, I don't think "geek" is an insult anymore.

At least not like it used to be.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
FWIW, I don't think "geek" is an insult anymore.

At least not like it used to be.
I'm probably a movie "geek" in the old-fashioned sense.

Truly, I'm a nerd when it comes to movies.

but I always say it's my eccentricity -- I mean, come on... movies are my passion! Even movies I hate I still like (or at least like to talk about them).