PDA

View Full Version : KU KU cornerback Aqib Talib going pro

BigRedChief
01-07-2008, 06:58 AM
KU cornerback Aqib Talib going pro, brother says

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH
The Kansas City Star http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/433532.htmlKansas cornerback Aqib Talib has decided to forgo his final year of eligibility and declare for the NFL draft, Talib’s brother, Yaqub, told The Star on Sunday night.“Aqib is going to go this year,” Yaqub Talib said. “I just think, getting through this season healthy, and just having that big game (in the Orange Bowl), that was a big factor. It was hard to come back when you have a game like that and you boost up your stock a little bit. I just think he felt like he accomplished a lot this year and thought it was time to look at going for that next goal.”

Yaqub said that Aqib received a second-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board, which evaluates underclassmen interested in entering the draft and gives them an idea of where they may be selected.
“The committee for juniors is looking out for the players, just trying to be safe,” Yaqub said. “Aqib felt like second round was a good grade. He’s going to work hard to try and get in that first round.”
Aqib Talib could not be reached for comment, but Yaqub said that his brother would make a formal announcement today.

Talib followed up his preseason billing as a Playboy All-American with a junior season worthy of being chosen a consensus first-team All-American. He intercepted five passes, returning two for touchdowns, and made 66 tackles for a Kansas defense that was drastically improved against the pass from a year ago.

Against Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl, Talib made a play for the ages when he picked a Tyrod Taylor pass and zipped down the sideline for a 60-yard touchdown. Talib also moonlighted as a punt returner in a game that he viewed as one last chance for him to prove himself.

The Jayhawks, of course, will miss Talib, but the emergence of true freshman Chris Harris should make them feel better about losing him early. Harris was chosen the Big 12 defensive newcomer of the year and also picked off a pass in the Orange Bowl. Junior Kendrick Harper, who battled injuries all season, probably will occupy the other corner spot next season.
There is little doubt that Talib and Kansas needed each other from the beginning. If Kansas coach Mark Mangino hadn’t shown interest, traveling to Talib’s home in Richardson, Texas, Talib probably would have ended up at Wyoming.

Talib grew up at Kansas. He arrived on campus expecting to play but was redshirted instead. He made enough plays as a freshman to warrant a freshman All-America selection by Rivals.com but admits he was still immature. Talib broke team rules and sat out the first two games of his sophomore year.

Last summer, Talib became a father with his girlfriend and Kansas track and field athlete, Cortney Jacobs. He said in an interview with The Star that the birth of Kiara Renae Talib was what he needed to stay focused on his lifelong dream of playing in the NFL.

Now, Yaqub says that his brother intends to pursue that dream.

DaKCMan AP
01-07-2008, 07:00 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=178227

KC Kings
01-07-2008, 07:06 AM
As a MU guy, I wish him well in the NFL and am glad we won't have to face him next year.

eazyb81
01-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Aqib and Yaqub?!

ROFL

cmh6476
01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Think this guy is a legitimate future starter at corner for some team, or think he's going to be a 2nd round bust?

KurtCobain
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Boo KU.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Think this guy is a legitimate future starter at corner for some team, or think he's going to be a 2nd round bust?
i still think he'll be a better free safety in the NFL

imo he has Ed Reed potential at free safety

not fast/quick enough for corner imo

CoMoChief
01-07-2008, 12:27 PM
i still think he'll be a better free safety in the NFL

imo he has Ed Reed potential at free safety

not fast/quick enough for corner imo
Except Ed Reed is faster and can hit like a son of a bitch.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Except Ed Reed is faster and can hit like a son of a bitch.
pick a side, retart.

Bump
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I hope he does well in the NFL, I guess he doesn't have the best speed but I still think he'll be a pretty solid CB in the big time

penguinz
01-07-2008, 12:42 PM
He looks like he is 13 years old.

Sure-Oz
01-07-2008, 12:48 PM
He looks like he is 13 years old.
I thought he looked like the penguin from batman with that nose

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Poor guy is going to drop like a stone.

John_Wayne
01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
.........but he was high steppin' like Deion!

jiveturkey
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
It looks like their LT will be going pro as well.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/434089.html

Thig Lyfe
01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Playboy All-American? How much cred does that get you?

Sure-Oz
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Aqib and Yaqub?!

ROFL
Sounds like names for Ewoks

Sure-Oz
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Talibs freshman bio
http://www.kusports.com/football/roster/2004/bios/talib.html

High School
Athletic defensive back with a nose for the football ... Recorded three interceptions and blocked four kicks as a senior ... Named first team all-district and first team all-city for the Rams in 2003 ... Named Berkner HS Defensive Back of the Year as a senior ... Had a 99-yard interception return for a touchdown during his junior season ... Lettered in football, basketball and track ... Coached in football by Jim Ledford.

— Courtesy of kuathletics.com.

CoMoChief
01-07-2008, 04:49 PM
pick a side, retart.
What does that mean?

Never said Talib wasn't any good. He's been one of the best CB's in the nation. I'm not blind.

However I am saying that this guy's speed will drop him some, possibly a lot. Who knows?

He's pretty athletic, which can go a long ways. It's probably better than he plays in a cover 2 system. He's big for a CB.

CoMoChief
01-07-2008, 04:51 PM
It looks like their LT will be going pro as well.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/434089.html
I am very high on KU's LT.

RedNeckRaider
01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I think he is overrated, maybe he can bulk up and play saftey. He is a gamble type CB with no ability to close the gap. The speed in the NFL will eat him alive IMO

Tactical Funky
01-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I am very high on KU's LT.
Anthony Collins is an absolute stud; I would love for the Chiefs to draft him.

I'll miss watching him, Talib, and McClinton play for the Jayhawks. This is excellent news for KU recruiting, though. :)

blueballs
07-02-2008, 10:44 PM
SYMPOSIUM SLUGGERS IDENTIFIED
Posted by Mike Florio on July 2, 2008, 10:51 p.m.

We’ve been able to confirm via two sources the names of the rookies who were involved in a symposium slugfest.

The players were Aqib Talib and Cory Boyd. Talib was a first-round pick of the Buccaneers; Boyd was a seventh-round selection of the same team.

The players were in a budget and finances meeting, where rookies from four teams were gathered. Talib and Boyd had been jawing at each other for a while, and it came to a head during that specific session.

Adept Havelock
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
SYMPOSIUM SLUGGERS IDENTIFIED
Posted by Mike Florio on July 2, 2008, 10:51 p.m.

We’ve been able to confirm via two sources the names of the rookies who were involved in a symposium slugfest.

The players were Aqib Talib and Cory Boyd. Talib was a first-round pick of the Buccaneers; Boyd was a seventh-round selection of the same team.

The players were in a budget and finances meeting, where rookies from four teams were gathered. Talib and Boyd had been jawing at each other for a while, and it came to a head during that specific session.

Hopefully he'll show that kind of level-headedness on the field. :thumb:

stlchiefs
07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm sure it was just a team building exercise. :)

Buehler445
07-02-2008, 11:50 PM
ROFL He's fighting WITH HIS TEAMMATE, at a DON'T BE A MORON CONFERENCE??? Nice.

kstater
07-03-2008, 04:11 AM
ROFL He's fighting WITH HIS TEAMMATE, at a DON'T BE A MORON CONFERENCE??? Nice.

ROFL

Ultra Peanut
07-03-2008, 04:56 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/107sz9t.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4eJbEcq5LWo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4eJbEcq5LWo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kepp
07-03-2008, 07:03 AM
It's not his fault. He was high.