PDA

View Full Version : Windows guys: Kiosk mode?

Simplex3
01-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I need to write a .NET Winforms app that will run on a kiosk and need to disable all the standards such as ctl-alt-del, alt-tab, the super key, etc. I'm almost positive I've seen MS stuff that handles this type of thing but I'm not locating it.

Stopping them from closing my app is easy, I have that handled. It's the OS level stuff that's biting me in the ass.

chasedude
01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I need to write a .NET Winforms app that will run on a kiosk and need to disable all the standards such as ctl-alt-del, alt-tab, the super key, etc. I'm almost positive I've seen MS stuff that handles this type of thing but I'm not locating it.

Stopping them from closing my app is easy, I have that handled. It's the OS level stuff that's biting me in the ass.

Alot of this can be disabled in group policy, I'm assuming this won't work though for your app.

Simplex3
01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Alot of this can be disabled in group policy, I'm assuming this won't work though for your app.
I have complete control of the machine, though they won't be on a network. It's WinXP.

If I can make the machine boot straight into my app that would be ideal. I just want one escape method that I'm going to provide via a barcode reader.

bgguitarman
01-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Code in the keydown or keypress event of the winform itself.

chasedude
01-07-2008, 03:09 PM
I have complete control of the machine, though they won't be on a network. It's WinXP.

If I can make the machine boot straight into my app that would be ideal. I just want one escape method that I'm going to provide via a barcode reader.

In doing a Google search I did find this to disable the Alt-Tab on the local machine

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1157034&page=1

It seems in the registry if you enter a 0 in this line

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"CoolSwitch"="0"

It will disable it. I'm sure there's other registry entries that would disable the other "hot system keys" you'd like too.

Simplex3
01-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Code in the keydown or keypress event of the winform itself.
As I understand it that won't trap for system-level commands such as the ones I mentioned.

penguinz
01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.northcode.com/blog.php/2007/07/25/Securing-Windows-For-Use-As-A-Kiosk

Braincase
01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Normally, I'd do this on a domain machine by using the lopback option in group policy, which reapplies the computer side of a policy after a user logs in and the users policy settings are applied. This can be done in either a merge or place context , depending on the policies being affected.

i'd set the auto-logon, but do it for a non-administrative user. Then I'd configure your app to launch at startup. I'd be curious to see if you could set it up so that only reboots and logoffs could be done as a "runas" option.

Also, when you logoutout, you want to make sure you hold down the spacebar (or is it shift?) when you logout so you get a standard logon screen.

I don't know if this will help you at all.

damaticous
01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
we use GFI endpoint security to lock CD, floppy, USB, etc. I think it can do other things as well.

WE used a program called Watchman at one point too.

http://www.filedudes.com/Watchman-screenshot-14221.html