PDA

View Full Version : Aerogarden: My Review

Fire Me Boy!
01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Anyone had one?

I've had one for a little over six months now... growing the chili pod kit right now.

First, the Aerogarden is a hydroponic garden used for herbs and small fruits (like strawberries, peppers and tomatoes). There is no dirt involved. You put water and kit-included nutrient tablets for whatever you're growing.

I started with the gourmet herb kit, which came with Italian basil, purple basil, chives, thyme, parsley, mint and dill.

The pods began sprouting just as directed, after about 5 days.

The basils grew so fast, so much, I ended up throwing some away. It was insane. I could have had pesto every day. The chives were pretty weak -- the grew, but there wasn't enough to ever dress a single baked potato. The parsley was the same.

The dill didn't grow, however a single phone call to the manufacturers netted me a new pod in the mail the same day. Very good customer service.

The flavor of the herbs was outstanding. My chili kit hasn't started bearing the fruit yet, so I can't comment on that.

The unit is very easy to use and care for and easy to prepare for a new kit. Each kit lasts several months, giving you weeks of growth and use.

If you're considering one and wanted to talk with someone that actually had one, ask me... if you have one, what are your thoughts?

Delano
01-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I was wondering what kind of an electricity hog it is.

What kind of a bulb is in there? Does it make noise? Does the water end up getting stank or is there some type of aerator?

TIA!

unlurking
01-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I was wondering what kind of an electricity hog it is.

What kind of a bulb is in there? Does it make noise? Does the water end up getting stank or is there some type of aerator?

TIA!

That was my first question as well...

How much energy does the AeroGarden® use?

The AeroGarden® system has been designed for maximum efficiency. The entire system uses less energy than a single 60-watt light bulb.

What kind of light bulbs does it use?

The AeroGarden® uses full-spectrum compact fluorescent bulbs exclusively designed for the optimal amount and type of light needed for robust, healthy plant growth.

unlurking
01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
FMB, is there another site for ordering supplies?

EDIT:
Does it increase humidity in the air if in a confined space.

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2008, 07:23 AM
FMB, is there another site for ordering supplies?

EDIT:
Does it increase humidity in the air if in a confined space.
Not sure about humidity -- I've certainly not noticed. The water is in an enclosed tank that the roots feed from.

Amazon.com carries the supplies, as does Bed, Bath and Beyond (and Linens and Things). Pretty easy to find, really.

Consistent1
01-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Will it work to grow weed?

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't know, but if you wanted I'm sure it would. Hydroponic gardens are frequently used for such endeavors.

You should also know that police frequent hydroponic shops for this very reason.

seclark
01-08-2008, 09:13 AM
i can't believe it took 12 hours before this was posted...
sec

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2008, 09:15 AM
i can't believe it took 12 hours before this was posted...
sec
I was somewhat surprised myself. I figured it would be one of the first.