6. West Virginia
7. Kansas
8. Oklahoma
9. Virginia Tech
10. Texas

01-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Wow!!!

Probably the way it should be though.

I still think MU- KU should be back to back though.

Hammock Parties
01-08-2008, 01:44 AM
georgia definitely doesn't deserve to be in the number 2 spot...

Pitt Gorilla
01-08-2008, 01:46 AM
I'll take an MU Top 5 finish in both polls. Incredible. Oh, and we picked up a commitment from WR Wes Kemp tonight.

88TG88
01-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Sounds about right

Mizzou over tOSU is a stretch.

KC_Connection
01-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Sounds about right

Mizzou over tOSU is a stretch.
No, it isn't. They are better than OSU. So is KU, imo.

KC_Connection
01-08-2008, 01:55 AM
I don't really understand how West Virginia, a school that blew their title shot by losing to Pittsburgh, finished ahead of KU, even with the win over Oklahoma.

#7 is still a great finish, though.

Consistent1
01-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Kansas got shafted. They played a terrible game against MU, and still only lost by 8. My impression of that game was that Kansas was good, but not prepared. I remember Reesing (or whatever the hell his name is) looking to the sideline for every call. Wasted time, looked very stupid. They looked like fools on TV that night, and still barely lost.

01-08-2008, 01:58 AM
Kansas got shafted. They played a terrible game against MU, and still only lost by 8. My impression of that game was that Kansas was good, but not prepared. I remember Reesing (or whatever the hell his name is) looking to the sideline for every call. Wasted time, looked very stupid. They looked like fools on TV that night, and still barely lost.
If that is the case, you must have thought KU looked like fools all season. That is how they sent plays in. They waited for the defense to line up and then the coach sent the play in.

MU was doing that too. Just not as much.

Archie Bunker
01-08-2008, 01:58 AM
I'll take an MU Top 5 finish in both polls. Incredible. Oh, and we picked up a commitment from WR Wes Kemp tonight.

This was a season I will never forget and hopefully the season that puts MU on the football map for years to come. Kemp was a huge get and there is supposed to be more big recruiting news coming tomorrow.

:mizzou:

BWillie
01-08-2008, 01:59 AM
That is TOTAL BS. Kansas got jobbed. Kansas is the ONLY REAL team that has one loss. Hawaii is the other one. Kansas just beat the #3 team in the country in VA TECH, and if you ask me VA TECH should of been in the title game and not Ohio State.

Let's recap this

LSU...lost against two unranked teams. Yup, count 'em two.

Ohio State...lost to Illinois, LSU..and beat Michigan. Big deal. By the way, they play in the little ten

Georgia...lost to unranked SOUTH CAROLINA.

Missouri...lost against Oklahoma twice. Beat KU. No lie, strong case for a high ranking

West Virginia....lost to FREAKING Pittsburgh

Oklahoma..3 losses. Enough said.

USC......lost to OMG..STANFORD. STANFORD. I'm not making this up.

Kansas....lost to one of the best teams in the country in Missouri who absolutely dismantled Arkansas. Beat the #3 team in the country in VA TECH.

If I was voting I would pick as follows.

T1. LSU
T1. Georgia
T1. Missouri
T1. Kansas
T1. USC
6. West Virginia
7. Ohio State
The rest don't matter..

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2008, 02:02 AM
Here it comes.....

"Kansas was robbed."

Sucks getting the short end of the stick, doesn't it?

|Zach|
01-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

KC_Connection
01-08-2008, 02:04 AM
That is TOTAL BS. Kansas got jobbed. Kansas is the ONLY REAL team that has one loss. Hawaii is the other one. Kansas just beat the #3 team in the country in VA TECH, and if you ask me VA TECH should of been in the title game and not Ohio State.

Let's recap this

LSU...lost too two unranked teams. Yup, count 'em two.

Ohio State...lost to Illinois, LSU..and beat Michigan. Big deal. By the way, they play in the little ten

Georgia...lost to unranked SOUTH CAROLINA.

Missouri...lost two Oklahoma twice. Beat KU. No lie, strong case for a high ranking

West Virginia....lost to FREAKING Pittsburgh

Oklahoma..3 losses. Enough said.

Kansas....lost to one of the best teams in the country in Missouri who absolutely dismantled Arkansas. Beat the #3 team in the country in VA TECH.
Yeah...I actually figured we might get a few top 2 or top 3 votes, but it doesn't seem like we got many. We were basically the only team this year not to lose to a huge underdog other than Missouri. If you ask me, I think MU and KU may have actually been the best teams in college football this year (OU was great too, but they were certainly not on the top of their game at all times). LSU didn't deserve to be there after losing to Arkansas...

A playoff would have been great this year...

KC_Connection
01-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Here it comes.....

"Kansas was robbed."

It's not so bad when you're Orange Bowl champs, I'll say that.

01-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Here it comes.....

"Kansas was robbed."

Meh. I'm not worried about it. I expected MU to be ahead of KU anyway.

KC_Connection
01-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Well they atleast got that part right I think, MU should be ahead of KU.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2008, 02:09 AM

You know that wasn't for you.

They know who they are.

Consistent1
01-08-2008, 02:10 AM
If that is the case, you must have thought KU looked like fools all season. That is how they sent plays in. They waited for the defense to line up and then the coach sent the play in.

I really wanted them to win. They just looked like they were not prepared enough. Look at Brady, Manning, etc. Sometimes you have to hurry the **** up. They could have caught Mizz off guard several times, but the play calls delayed it. If they had won that game???????

BWillie
01-08-2008, 02:12 AM
I hate to say it, but I honestly think Missouri has the best body of work out of all of those teams mentioned. Lost to the same team twice. They must just not match up well against OU. Missouri beat two BCS teams (Illinois and Kansas)

And for the love of god the Big 12 has FOUR teams in the top 10. Not even the SEC can say that. No other conference has more than two.

Everybody except Kansas, Missouri and Ohio State has a bad loss that is in the top 10. Ohio State didn't beat anybody any good. I say rematch KU and MU for the title :D

BWillie
01-08-2008, 02:16 AM
I really wanted them to win. They just looked like they were not prepared enough. Look at Brady, Manning, etc. Sometimes you have to hurry the **** up. They could have caught Mizz off guard several times, but the play calls delayed it. If they had won that game???????

Personally I think it's a good idea. How the hell is Todd Reesing going to read defenses standing behind center. The dude is 5'9''. He even admits to running around outside the pocket on purpose so he can see the field better. I think the "check with me approach" was a very unique system which can only be used in the college game, but it seemed to help Kansas a great deal this year. It limited their mistakes and made them a consistent football team.

Consistent1
01-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Personally I think it's a good idea. How the hell is Todd Reesing going to read defenses standing behind center. The dude is 5'9''. He even admits to running around outside the pocket on purpose so he can see the field better. I think the "check with me approach" was a very unique system which can only be used in the college game, but it seemed to help Kansas a great deal this year. It limited their mistakes and made them a consistent football team.

Fair enough, I just wanted them to pull it off. I am sure you did also.

beer bacon
01-08-2008, 02:37 AM

Both MU and KU do this. MU has one coach signaling in the play and two or three decoy signalers on every down.

SBK
01-08-2008, 03:11 AM
I hate Ohio State, but I will never understand playing in the title game and not finishing #2.

And the big 11 sucks.

|Zach|
01-08-2008, 03:12 AM
I wonder what Roy's GBR Ratings say? Or whatever the hell that was that nobody had heard of.

01-08-2008, 03:19 AM
Both MU and KU do this. MU has one coach signaling in the play and two or three decoy signalers on every down.
That was my point. I was pointing that out to another poster.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 06:50 AM
SEC 2 teams in the top 3 for the 2nd consecutive year. :thumb:

And LMAO at the crying KU fans.

King_Chief_Fan
01-08-2008, 07:08 AM

ROFLROFLBWAHHH HAAAAAAA

Pushead2
01-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Glad to see Michigan back in top 25. Good times ahead hopefully.

Bearcat
01-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Eh... whoever says "I remember the year my team finished #whatever in the polls? There's 150 points between #3 and 4, and 150 points between 7 and 8.... there's 45 points between 4 and 7. It doesn't take a planet genious to figure out that it's a crapshoot.

I just wish they would have knocked OSU down below WVU and Kansas... other than that, it looks good to me. Hopefully the game at Arrowhead means just as much next year.

Braincase
01-08-2008, 08:10 AM
How the hell does Mizzou end up ahead of Oklahoma?

Eleazar
01-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Fitting tribute to our guys, I think the got it right.

Good to hear we're already getting some big commitments too. Is Wes Kemp that receiver from St. Louis who is like 6'5"? I remember hearing on the radio about some guy over there who was one of the best WR recruits in the country, just a total animal but with great size too.

bkkcoh
01-08-2008, 08:14 AM

Because of the last game each of them played. That is why.......

Why didn't KU end up ahead of MU???? I thought they were such a better team......

They said during the Arkansas game that one of the coaches was signalling in the play and one of the other coaches was signalling the blocking scheme. Whether or not this was the case, I am not sure. I am sure that there were a couple of decoys also.

kepp
01-08-2008, 08:17 AM
The same way KU got in the Orange Bowl instead of MU - people remember the last game you played.

petegz28
01-08-2008, 08:18 AM

The same way KU wnet to the O-Bowl and not MU?

KCFalcon59
01-08-2008, 08:19 AM
OSUck is way too high in this poll. KU could at least be at 5. Missouri is fine at 4, but I could see them at 3.

alanm
01-08-2008, 08:39 AM
SEC 2 teams in the top 3 for the 2nd consecutive year. :thumb:

And LMAO at the crying KU fans.
And 4 Big 12 teams in the top 10. So therefore by your logic the Big 12 must be the better conference. :p

kepp
01-08-2008, 08:40 AM
And 4 Big 12 teams in the top 10. So therefore by your logic the Big 12 must be a better conference. :p
Whoa, now...you forgot that "SEC" teams count double.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 08:43 AM
And 4 Big 12 teams in the top 10. So therefore by your logic the Big 12 must be the better conference. :p

Ha ;)

SEC:

The National Champions
A 7-2 Bowl Record
2 BCS Bowl Winners
The Heisman winner and runner-up
The top 2 teams in the AP
5 of the top 15 teams in the AP

No contest. :)

alanm
01-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Whoa, now...you forgot that "SEC" teams count double.
Oh yeah I forgot about the DaKCMan rule of logic. :banghead:

alanm
01-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Ha ;)

SEC:

The National Champions
A 7-2 Bowl Record
2 BCS Bowl Winners
The Heisman winner and runner-up
The top 2 teams in the AP
5 of the top 15 teams in the AP

No contest. :)
It will always be subjective until there's a playoff.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
It will always be subjective until there's a playoff.

There wont be a playoff. The best shot at any change is a plus-1 format which wouldn't occur until 2011 at the earliest. Until then it'll remain the MNC.

HolyHandgernade
01-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I could care less about the final poll. Once they decide who will play for the national championship, what does it matter? Five years from now, would you rather recall your season as, "We finished (some number after 1)" or "We won the Orange Bowl." Nothing will ever detract from the enormous success this season was for KU football. Rock Chalk!

-HH

siberian khatru
01-08-2008, 08:52 AM
JUSTICE

PBJ PBJ PBJ

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I could care less about the final poll. Once they decide who will play for the national championship, what does it matter? Five years from now, would you rather recall your season as, "We finished (some number after 1)" or "We won the Orange Bowl." Nothing will ever detract from the enormous success this season was for KU football. Rock Chalk!

-HH

Well said.

alanm
01-08-2008, 08:56 AM

-HH
Yes it was a very good year for Kansas. I just read this morning that Nebraska just hired away Tim Beck from Kansas. Seems he's a old buddy from Youngstown Ohio of Bo Pelini's. Course it has been no secret here in Nebraska that it was going to be made official after the game last night.

HonestChieffan
01-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Thank goodness the wait is over, we all now know the answwer to that burning question and we can relax and feel well knowing the answer is before us.

Hail Mighty Poll!!

HolyHandgernade
01-08-2008, 09:01 AM
You know what I would like to see? I think it would be great TV if the SEC and the Big 12 got together and said the third Saturday of the college football season will be designated as the Big 12/SEC Challenge Saturday. The schools would keep that date open so the conferences could get the best pairings to play each other, maybe alternate which conference gets the home game for the odd seeds (1, 3, 5, etc). If they contracted with ABC/ESPN, they could probably show all 12 games staggered throughout the day since they would have four channels to broadcast on (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU). It would be the closest thing to a March Maddness feel with lookins to other games.

-HH

Frazod
01-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Looks about right, other than the Suckeyes continuing to infest the Top 10 with their fraudulent prescence. Apparently a lot of people voted for them who didn't watch the game last night.

And Missouri > Kansas. BUT WE ALREADY KNEW THAT.

Lzen
01-08-2008, 09:08 AM

-HH

My sentiments, too. :thumb:

siberian khatru
01-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Thank goodness the wait is over, we all now know the answwer to that burning question and we can relax and feel well knowing the answer is before us.

Hail Mighty Poll!!

Funny coming from you, since you were slinging a lot of the poll smack last week:

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4505244&postcount=158

id leave that ranking can of worms closed...when the finals come out...KU did beat the Conference champs of the conference the Mizzou opponant was not in to top three.....emotion aside, its likely that KU will rank out above MU when its all done...

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4504382&postcount=31

KU ranking higher than MU.....priceless.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4504281&postcount=9

Now the KU Haters can all cry in their beer when the final rankings come out and KU is rightfully ranked ahead of MU.

bkkcoh
01-08-2008, 09:12 AM
You know what I would like to see? I think it would be great TV if the SEC and the Big 12 got together and said the third Saturday of the college football season will be designated as the Big 12/SEC Challenge Saturday. The schools would keep that date open so the conferences could get the best pairings to play each other, maybe alternate which conference gets the home game for the odd seeds (1, 3, 5, etc). If they contracted with ABC/ESPN, they could probably show all 12 games staggered throughout the day since they would have four channels to broadcast on (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU). It would be the closest thing to a March Maddness feel with lookins to other games.

-HH

I do like how the basketball has the BIg 10 /ACC challenge. I would like to see them have a Pac 10/Big 12/Big 10/SEC type of challenge. Wouldn't that be a tremendous last game before the conference schedule kicks in......

petegz28
01-08-2008, 09:12 AM
All you KU whiners can kiss my ass. I told you this would happen last week and you all thoguht I was crazy! I told you MU was going to be #4 and higher than KU.

Braincase
01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
All you KU whiners can kiss my ass. I told you this would happen last week and you all thoguht I was crazy! I told you MU was going to be #4 and higher than KU.

I just want to know why MU is higher than OU. I didn't bring KU into this at all. OU beat MU twice. Why is MU ranked higher than OU?

Tits McGee
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Thank You, Tony Temple!

petegz28
01-08-2008, 09:59 AM
I just want to know why MU is higher than OU. I didn't bring KU into this at all. OU beat MU twice. Why is MU ranked higher than OU?

I tried to explain that too but no one listened. They said OU was going to be a problem. So the answer is who knows? But at least the regional AP voter said that they knew OU was a problem heading into the weekend.

He also said that the AP tends to factor in injustices during the season and right them and specifically pointed to MU and KU.

So maybe that sheds some light on the mentality of the AP anway.

ChiTown
01-08-2008, 10:42 AM

The only thing I can think of is that OU played like a bunch of bitches in their last game against a team that was without their head coach, while MU smoked their (albeit, less talented) head coachless opponent.

Football Polls are a beauty contest, for the most part. Generally. after 1&2, it's a crap shoot, imho.

Monty
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Here it comes.....

"Kansas was robbed."

Hey, you just pipe down there mister! ;) LOL

I fully expected Mizzou and KU to both be higher, IMO both were robbed to a point, but both had outstanding seasons. I can't wait for next year.....at least college football will have some appeal.

Eleazar
01-08-2008, 10:58 AM

It doesn't make any sense, but they have to put OU at least one spot below WV, probably more.

Frankly, the idea that this poll relates that OU is the third best team in the Big 12 is poppycock. Anybody who was around this year and saw them play during the regular season knows pretty well they were the best team in the Big 12 during conference play. Sure, they laid an egg in the bowl game, but I think the case was still there. You can drop them for that, but they still proved it during the regular season by winning the conference title.

The problem this year is that between the parity in college football and the atrocious bowl selections, there's really no case for anyone to say who belongs where. It's impossible to build a coherent top 10.

They seemed to do this by ranking VT above BC, even though BC won their bowl game and VT looked like they had never played football before, because they beat them head to head. So why doesn't Oklahoma beating Missouri head to head twice bear any weight...?

It's just impossible to build anything that makes sense this year.

Pitt Gorilla
01-08-2008, 10:58 AM

-HHIt probably doesn't matter five years from now, but it certainly doesn't hurt in recruiting. MU is a Top-5 team. The unfortunate part is that our class is already filling up and we're likely to get another big commitment this afternoon (that part isn't unfortunate). However, in-season recruiting for 09 should be pretty solid since the Top-5 ranking should carry over to the preseason poll next year as well. MU already has two big commitments from Blaine Dalton and Sheldon Richardson, leading the way for an outstanding class.

I know you don't care about the poll, but it gives Pinkel et al. one more bullet for recruiting.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
They seemed to do this by ranking VT above BC, even though BC won their bowl game and VT looked like they had never played football before, because they beat them head to head.

Actually, adding to the dislogic, VT and BC split. However, both teams are garbage, IMO.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
leading the way for an outstanding class.

'Outstanding' is subjective. For Mizzou, yes.

siberian khatru
01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
The only thing I can think of is that OU played like a bunch of bitches in their last game against a team that was without their head coach, while MU smoked their (albeit, less talented) head coachless opponent.

Football Polls are a beauty contest, for the most part. Generally. after 1&2, it's a crap shoot, imho.

I laid it out last week here:

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4505344&postcount=190

Here's another totally twisted problem:

I certainly want MU ranked higher than KU because of the head-to-head.

But using that standard, how can you drop OU behind MU after they beat the Tigers TWICE?

Yet, how can you keep the Sooners ranked in the top 5 -- they're a 3-loss team, all to (supposedly) inferior opponents, and they just got waxed in their bowl game?

So do you drop MU way down, just to keep them behind the Sooners, even though MU didn't lose to anybody they were favored over, lost to just one team this year (albeit TWICE in convincing fashion) AND won their bowl game convincingly?

On and on and on it goes. It's madness.

Playoff, please.

Now, there is no doubt in my mind that OU is a better team than MU. No excuses. Talent-wise, I think OU is top 3, fer sure. But the polls aren't about TEAM, they're about SEASON, and OU just crapped the bed too many times this year.

OU got penalized for its "body of work" (i.e., 2 losses to inferior opponents and a blowout bowl loss, the latter of which I'm sure carried a lot of weight with voters) while MU was rewarded for its "body of work" (i.e., no "bad" losses, strength of sked, blowout bowl win).

However, the polls are hardly science.

KU still had a phenomenal season. I certainly enjoy the "scoreboard" aspects of MU winning the head-to-head and having a higher final ranking, but that doesn't detract from a single thing KU accomplished this year.

Pitt Gorilla
01-08-2008, 11:09 AM
'Outstanding' is subjective. For Mizzou, yes.
Really? I had no idea that something subjective like an evaluation of high school football players could possibly lead to a meta-evaluative assessment that wasn't objective. Seriously, had no idea.

Of course, you then proceeded to counter that point in your second sentence.

Pablo
01-08-2008, 11:10 AM
3 Big 12 teams in the Top 10.

4 for the coaches poll.

Suck it SEC.

The Franchise
01-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Where's Notre Dame?

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 11:14 AM
3 Big 12 teams in the Top 10.

4 for the coaches poll.

Suck it SEC.

ROFL

Too cute. We have the top 2 teams in the country, the National Champion, 2 BCS Bowl wins, the Heisman winner, the Heisman runner-up, and 5 teams in the top-15.

Yeah, the Big XII really one-upped the SEC. LMAO

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Really? I had no idea that something subjective like an evaluation of high school football players could possibly lead to a meta-evaluative assessment that wasn't objective. Seriously, had no idea.

Nationally the Tigers class is ranked around 30th.

Eleazar
01-08-2008, 11:15 AM

We should be grateful to receive congratulations on our class from someone used to watching the Grand and Glorious SEC (peace be upon it). It's like we've colored something well and the SEC might be gracious enough to place it on their refrigerator. Maybe even the front of the refrigerator.

Perhaps with this recruiting class, we can begin to bridge the chasm of light years that separates the SEC from all others. Maybe next year we will be done the honor of destroying an even better team from their conference. Perhaps the 5th best? Maybe the 4th? Dare I dream?

Pablo
01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
We should be grateful to receive congratulations on our class from someone used to watching the Grand and Glorious SEC (peace be upon it). It's like we've colored something well and the SEC might be gracious enough to place it on their refrigerator. Maybe even the front of the refrigerator.

Perhaps with this recruiting class, we can begin to bridge the chasm of light years that separates the SEC from all others. Maybe next year we will be done the honor of destroying an even better team from their conference. Perhaps the 5th best? Maybe the 4th? Dare I dream?Ha..you think the SEC would wipe it's collective ass with your "pretty coloring". That's comical. The SEC urinates on paper and creates Van Gogh's.

DJJasonp
01-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Although I think MU at 4 and KU at 5 would be about right....I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

And the end of the day...who next year is going to remember who finished after #1? Bottom line, unless it's your team, you probably dont (and even if it is your team...it's not easy to remember).

Orange Bowl champs....happy with that...and I wont get greedy about it either. I'm going to enjoy this one....regardless of meaningless final polls.

Just like NCAA basketball...beyond the final four teams...who cares what the final poll says?

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 11:21 AM
The SEC urinates on paper and creates Van Gogh's.

Please keep it on the DL.

Pitt Gorilla
01-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Nationally the Tigers class is ranked around 30th.Such rankings are subjective.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Such rankings are subjective.

Absolutely, but given the SEC's usual success and generally having 5-7 teams in the top-15 recruiting classes annually, there is some merit to it. ;)

Frazod
01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I've never seen somebody derive so much pleasure from a rival winning. If Oklahoma or Kansas had won the national championship, the last thing I'd be is happy.

Is the SEC like a commune or something? I don't get it.

chiefsfan1963
01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
MU needs to beat OU next year! They need to get that monkey off their backs.

siberian khatru
01-08-2008, 11:28 AM

It's a cult.

http://www.horrortalk.com/reviews/OmegaMan/OmegaMan6.jpg

Frazod
01-08-2008, 11:32 AM
It's a cult.

http://www.horrortalk.com/reviews/OmegaMan/OmegaMan6.jpg

You forgot to photoshop in the rebel flags. :D

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I've never seen somebody derive so much pleasure from a rival winning. If Oklahoma or Kansas had won the national championship, the last thing I'd be is happy.

The vast majority of SEC fans cheer on the conference against OOC opponents during bowl season. We all have great pride in our conference, believe it's the best, and want to prove it. We want to beat the crap out of our rivals as much as anyone else during the regular season, but once it's bowl season it's SEC vs Everyone else.

Thus, during last year's championship game for Florida and at last night's game for LSU - during the waning moments one of the chants heard on TV was "SEC! SEC! SEC!". It's all about conference pride.

Frazod
01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
The vast majority of SEC fans cheer on the conference against OOC opponents during bowl season. We all have great pride in our conference, believe it's the best, and want to prove it. We want to beat the crap out of our rivals as much as anyone else during the regular season, but once it's bowl season it's SEC vs Everyone else.

Thus, during last year's championship game for Florida and at last night's game for LSU - during the waning moments one of the chants heard on TV was "SEC! SEC! SEC!". It's all about conference pride.

Whatever. I think this southern-fried solidarity of yours is nothing more than a lame excuse for you to continue thumping your chest despite your team getting its ass kicked by *snicker* Michigan.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Whatever. I think this southern-fried solidarity of yours is nothing more than a lame excuse for you to continue thumping your chest despite your team getting its ass kicked by *snicker* Michigan.

Michigan played very well and beat us solidly. Just because the Big XII doesn't share in it, this isn't a new or self-created fad in the SEC. We'd rather the championships stay within our own backyards and when debating "what conference is best" we have the W's to back our claims up.

Maybe it's from usually looking from the bottom up to Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma :shrug: For the SEC, it pretty much only applies to football. In basketball, most teams want KY to lose no matter what, maybe because we've always been on the bottom looking up at them in that respect.

Frazod
01-08-2008, 11:51 AM
As a Chief fan, I would never root for Denver or Oakland.

As a Cardinals fan, I would never root for Chicago or Houston.

And as a Missouri fan, I would never root Kansas, Oklahoma or Nebraska.

Fairly simple concept here. Division/conference rivals are the first, immediate threats to my team's success. I want them to suck and suck hard. The end.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 11:55 AM

Fairly simple concept here. Division/conference rivals are the first, immediate threats to my team's success. I want them to suck and suck hard. The end.

In the NFL, MLB, NBA I agree completely.

In college football it's different. In the NFL, everyone plays by the same rules. Every division is formatted the same way, everyone shares in the same draft, the same playoff format, free agency, everything.

In college football there is disparity in talent level across conferences, different formats across conferences (different sizes, championship game/no championship game, etc.), and a lot of the postseason is deteremined upon perceived strength of schedule, strength of victory, strength of conference. If the AFC West is garbage, but the Chiefs kick butt it doesn't matter. If a team in college football ownz in college football in a garbage conference, it negatively reflects upon that team.

Whether you recognize it or not, there is a difference.

Archie Bunker
01-08-2008, 12:01 PM
I t probably doesn't matter five years from now, but it certainly doesn't hurt in recruiting. MU is a Top-5 team. The unfortunate part is that our class is already filling up and we're likely to get another big commitment this afternoon (that part isn't unfortunate).

Rumor has it the big commit is former Nebraska recruit OL Dan Hoch. #1 prospect in Iowa and 20th ranked guard according to rivals.com.

Frazod
01-08-2008, 12:02 PM
In the NFL, MLB, NBA I agree completely.

In college football it's different. In the NFL, everyone plays by the same rules. Every division is formatted the same way, everyone shares in the same draft, the same playoff format, free agency, everything.

In college football there is disparity in talent level across conferences, different formats across conferences (different sizes, championship game/no championship game, etc.), and a lot of the postseason is deteremined upon perceived strength of schedule, strength of victory, strength of conference. If the AFC West is garbage, but the Chiefs kick butt it doesn't matter. If a team in college football ownz in college football in a garbage conference, it negatively reflects upon that team.

Whether you recognize it or not, there is a difference.

I understand the concept, but still, I don't care. The enemy is the enemy.

Eleazar
01-08-2008, 12:02 PM

I don't get it either. I don't care what other peoples' opinion is of our conference. We'll play whoever you put in front of us and you can all talk about it afterwards.

Rooting for your biggest rival is contrary to my nature. I don't want anything good to ever happen to Kansas. I don't want anything good to happen to Oklahoma unless they are playing Kansas.

Like I would root for the Donks in the Super Bowl out of AFC pride? Whatever.

I have one team. I want them to win, and everyone else to lose.

irishjayhawk
01-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't understand the last polls, but I don't really care. We won the Orange Bowl!

Now, for semantics:

1) I don't see how you hype up the BCS bowls and then the winners don't get to accrue the top 5 slots.
2) If you throw point 1 out, I don't see how Missouri and KU aren't back to back, and probably with Missouri in front based on their bowl performance and their argument of their claim to a BCS bowl.
3) The final poll seems to indicate why CFB never has parity - this year being an exception. It's all about name and nothing more. For Kansas or Missouri to TRULY turn the corner, they have to do 2-3x what other schools (Nebraska, comes to mind) who are having down years need to do to get back up. I just don't see how Kansas wins the Orange Bowl and teams like USC, tOSU, and Oklahoma can jump a BCS bowl winner. That, to me, sends the message: We don't want parity. We want our NAMES!

Frazod
01-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Rumor has it the big commit is former Nebraska recruit OL Dan Hoch. #1 prospect in Iowa and 20th ranked guard according to rivals.com.

That would rock. We need to upgrade the line on both sides. That's where the Gooners killed us.

Eleazar
01-08-2008, 12:09 PM
That would rock. We need to upgrade the line on both sides. That's where the Gooners killed us.

You could really see the difference in that game. In the KU game, it looked like our O-line was dominating, but against Oklahoma they could barely do anything. If we want to compete against top teams like that, we need to upgrade the line. Plus it would make our offense even more deadly.

CoMoChief
01-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Wow this has been a ****ed up season.

irishjayhawk
01-08-2008, 12:15 PM
You could really see the difference in that game. In the KU game, it looked like our O-line was dominating, but against Oklahoma they could barely do anything. If we want to compete against top teams like that, we need to upgrade the line. Plus it would make our offense even more deadly.

Well, that's what pissed me off about our game plan. Our D-Line doesn't get sacks by itself. When it does, it's when we blitz LBs. If you watched the Orange Bowl, all the sacks were because of LBs blitzing and either DEs getting the QB as he tries to get away or LBs simply taking him down.

But, in the MU game, since we continually - for some reason - played Rivera, our slowest LB - in coverage against none other than Maclin, we couldn't get enough pressure. And it showed.

Frazod
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't understand the last polls, but I don't really care. We won the Orange Bowl!

Now, for semantics:

1) I don't see how you hype up the BCS bowls and then the winners don't get to accrue the top 5 slots.
2) If you throw point 1 out, I don't see how Missouri and KU aren't back to back, and probably with Missouri in front based on their bowl performance and their argument of their claim to a BCS bowl.
3) The final poll seems to indicate why CFB never has parity - this year being an exception. It's all about name and nothing more. For Kansas or Missouri to TRULY turn the corner, they have to do 2-3x what other schools (Nebraska, comes to mind) who are having down years need to do to get back up. I just don't see how Kansas wins the Orange Bowl and teams like USC, tOSU, and Oklahoma can jump a BCS bowl winner. That, to me, sends the message: We don't want parity. We want our NAMES!

Missouri was ranked ahead of Kansas when Kansas was selected by the Orange Bowl scumbags in the first place. Kansas never deserved to be placed in a higher tiered game than Missouri and shouldn't have been in a BCS game in the first place.

The final rankings clearly reflect widespread national acknowledgement of this fact.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2008, 12:17 PM

I'm hearing the same thing here in STL.

Also, with the commitment of Wes Helm, his 2005 Class 6 Championship teammate Munir Prince has decided to transfer to Mizzou from Notre Dame and is expected to play cornerback.

Ironic, considering that Prince's stepdad was my wife's old boss, and the reason I followed Notre Dame. He was buried on the depth chart at RB, and moved him to CB this year, where he played in 10 games and registered 3 tackles and 1 pass breakup.

Good kid. He's quick and instinctive, but on the small side. Something like 5-9 or 5-10 and about 180. Haven't seen him since early in the year, maybe he's bulked up a bit.

Eleazar
01-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Well, that's what pissed me off about our game plan. Our D-Line doesn't get sacks by itself. When it does, it's when we blitz LBs. If you watched the Orange Bowl, all the sacks were because of LBs blitzing and either DEs getting the QB as he tries to get away or LBs simply taking him down.

But, in the MU game, since we continually - for some reason - played Rivera, our slowest LB - in coverage against none other than Maclin, we couldn't get enough pressure. And it showed.

I dunno, ask the coach of the year about that :shrug:

Pitt Gorilla
01-08-2008, 12:48 PM
That would rock. We need to upgrade the line on both sides. That's where the Gooners killed us.It's a done deal.

ROYC75
01-08-2008, 12:52 PM

-HH

Bingo ...... we have a winner.

ROYC75
01-08-2008, 12:56 PM
By the looks of things, 4 thru 7 are really close .......All within 44 points. That tells me the writers see little diffrence between those schools.

RANK TEAM RECORD PTS LAST
1 LSU (60) 12-2 1620 2
2 Georgia (3) 11-2 1515 4
3 Southern Cal (1) 11-2 1500 6
4 Missouri 12-2 1347 7
5 Ohio St. 11-2 1346 1
6 West Virginia 11-2 1342 11
7 Kansas (1) 12-1 1303 8
8 Oklahoma 11-3 1139 3
9 Virginia Tech 11-3 1096 5
10 Boston College 11-3 962 14

kcpasco
01-08-2008, 01:09 PM
To all KU fans
It kinda sucks to get shafted doesn't it?

This is why we need a damn playoff system

ChiefGator
01-08-2008, 01:24 PM

This is absolutely true. I was rooting on LSU as the SEC team yesterday. Not sure if I could actually root for Georgia and I know I will never root for the Vols. But outside those two, I pull for any SEC team.l

HolyHandgernade
01-08-2008, 01:46 PM
To all KU fans

I don't feel bad at all. Oh, look, we even got a first place vote, how many did you get? :p

-HH

Tits McGee
01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Up is up.

KcMizzou
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
That'll work. :) :mizzou:

Now I'm just bummed that the season's over.

I'd like to thank Mizzou and KU for stepping up and entertaining us right when the Chiefs went in the toilet.

irishjayhawk
01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
That'll work. :) :mizzou:

Now I'm just bummed that the season's over.

I'd like to thank Mizzou and KU for stepping up and entertaining us right when the Chiefs went in the toilet.

:clap:

Yep.

ROYC75
01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
To all KU fans

Not at all ....... If you had told me to start the year KU would be 12 - 1, win the Orange Bowl and ranked # 7 in the final polls, I would have kindly asked you to pass over what you were smoking....... And I don't smoke.

I'm happy with this season and a good start to building a foundation of good football at KU.

Coach
01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Either way, Overmatched State University shouldn't be in the BCS championship game next year, ESPECIALLY if their opponent is a SEC team.

KChiefs1
01-08-2008, 08:55 PM
I heard that Mizzou is getting a Notre Dame transfer too.

Coach
01-08-2008, 09:00 PM
I heard that Mizzou is getting a Notre Dame transfer too.

You heard correct. It was discussed in this thread.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=178328

Halfcan
01-08-2008, 09:03 PM
yawn

dtebbe
01-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Missouri was ranked ahead of Kansas when Kansas was selected by the Orange Bowl scumbags in the first place. Kansas never deserved to be placed in a higher tiered game than Missouri and shouldn't have been in a BCS game in the first place.

The final rankings clearly reflect widespread national acknowledgement of this fact.

Exactly. And I recall predicting that even if both MU & KU won that MU would end up ranked higher. At least the people voting have half a clue, something that can't be said for the bowl selection clowns.

Now, on the other hand just think if they took the top 8 teams in the final rankings and had a playoff. I think it would be pretty damn close to correct this year.

DT

teedubya
01-09-2008, 01:03 AM
1. LSU
8. Oklahoma LSU
LSU
4. Missouri
5. Ohio St. Missouri
USC
3. USC
6. West Virginia USC
USC
2. Georgia
7. Kansas Kansas

That is how I see it playing out. Although, its questionable that KU would get past Georgia.

CoMoChief
01-09-2008, 01:12 AM
1. LSU
8. Oklahoma LSU
LSU
4. Missouri
5. Ohio St. Missouri
USC
3. USC
6. West Virginia USC
USC
2. Georgia
7. Kansas Kansas

That is how I see it playing out. Although, its questionable that KU would get past Georgia.
Questionable???? How about no ****ing way.

teedubya
01-09-2008, 01:13 AM
oh yeah? Its questionable that MU would get past Ohio St. How you like them oranges?

01-09-2008, 03:05 AM

No problem with KSU?