PDA

View Full Version : KU's Anthony Collins Leaving Too

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 06:18 AM
KU’s Collins joins Talib in entering draft; assistant coach Beck going to Nebraska
By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH
The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE | Aqib Talib said his decision was quick. Anthony Collins said his was easy. When it came down to it, both Associated Press first-team All-Americans agreed that they had reached their personal ceilings at Kansas.

“If I wanted to get better, it was time to take it to the next level,” Talib said in a statement released on Monday. “We had an excellent season, and this is how I want to go out.”

As if the news of Talib’s departure wasn’t disheartening enough for KU fans, their day of loss was only beginning. On Monday afternoon, Nebraska announced the hiring of KU wide-receivers coach Tim Beck as its new running-backs coach. Then, The Star reported on its Web site that Collins would join Talib in entering the NFL draft.

“My decision was easy,” said Collins, reached on his cell phone. “I feel like my new challenge is at the next level.”

Simply put, this is what excellence brings. Players leave early to pursue professional careers, and coaches leave for what they think are greener pastures. The departures are just another sign that Mark Mangino’s program took a big step in 2007.

Talib, a native of Richardson, Texas, by way of Trenton, N.J., was projected as a second-round pick by the NFL Draft Advisory Board. Collins, a native of Beaumont, Texas, was graded in the early third round. Like Talib, Collins believes he can play his way into a higher pick.

“After I work out and after the combine,” Collins said, “I am pretty sure I can get up in the high second round.”

Collins said the chance of reinjuring his ankle was a factor in his decision. Collins hurt his ankle in the Oklahoma State game Nov. 10, sat out the Iowa State game the next week and played at less than 70 percent against Missouri. Collins certainly wasn’t going to leave for the NFL on that note, but he felt good about his performance against Virginia Tech defensive end Chris Ellis on a healthy ankle.

“The injury risk was very major,” Collins said. “I felt like if I do a good job on Chris Ellis and the rest of the Virginia Tech defense, I was going to leave.”

The loss of Collins, one of the top left tackles in college football this season, may hurt KU more than losing Talib. The Jayhawks will go into 2008 without a proven player at tackle since right tackle Cesar Rodriguez is a senior. It would appear that incoming junior-college transfer Nathan D’Cunha, a four-star recruit who has signed with Kansas, would have a chance to play right away. D’Cunha is 6 feet 7 and 307 pounds.

The Jayhawks have answers at cornerback with Big 12 defensive newcomer of the year Chris Harris and Kendrick Harper returning.

Actually, Beck may be the toughest of the three departures to replace. The three-year coach, a former high school coach in Texas, was key to the Jayhawks’ successful recruitment of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Beck left KU to join fellow Youngstown, Ohio, native and Cardinal Mooney High graduate Bo Pelini’s program at Nebraska.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/434753.html

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2008, 06:21 AM
I hope the Chiefs don't think Collins is a 1st rounder.

Cochise
01-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Good... the more tackles there are in the draft the better it is for us.

I hope the Chiefs don't take the guy who left college early because he's afraid his ankle is suspect. That would make me nervous.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Good... the more tackles there are in the draft the better it is for us.

I hope the Chiefs don't take the guy who left college early because he's afraid his ankle is suspect. That would make me nervous.

In 2002 they didn't take the guy whose back was suspect (John Henderson) :banghead:

Lzen
01-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, that sucks. I thought KU would do alright if Talib left, but Collins leaving is gonna hurt. I think it would be alright if the Chiefs drafted Collins in the 3rd round. I actually believe that guy has a better chance at becoming a very good NFL player that Talib. Talib has great instincts but lacks NFL speed.

Sam Hall
01-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Here's the part this resident Husker fan likes:

"Actually, Beck may be the toughest of the three departures to replace. The three-year coach, a former high school coach in Texas, was key to the Jayhawks’ successful recruitment of the Dallas-Fort Worth area."

Cochise
01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Here's the part this resident Husker fan likes:

"Actually, Beck may be the toughest of the three departures to replace. The three-year coach, a former high school coach in Texas, was key to the Jayhawks’ successful recruitment of the Dallas-Fort Worth area."

Texas is a Mizzou recruiting pipleline now. :p

mikeyis4dcats.
01-08-2008, 10:04 AM
why would Beck make such a move?

Mr. Laz
01-08-2008, 10:16 AM
this hurts

DJay23
01-08-2008, 10:18 AM
As we've seen from the basketball program, players leaving early can actually be a great recruitment tool. A recruit wants to go to a program that prepares them for the next level. Hopefully KU can recover and at least get to a bowl next year to keep their names out there.

AggressiveNapkin
01-08-2008, 10:20 AM
this hurts

Yes, it probably hurts more than losing Talib. One positive is that it does allow newly signed Juco Tackle Nathan D'Cunha to get into spring practices and get a feel for what this offense will be like. He was one of our higher rated recruits and I hope he can make an immediate impact.

Word is that the staff is high on freshmen Jeff Spikes as well, and that he may end up being a very good linemen in the future.

ChiTown
01-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Hopefully KU can recover and at least get to a bowl next year to keep their names out there.

Dude, I'll be thoroughly amazed if ku doesn't go a minimum of 8-4 next year and contend for the North. Seriously, I'm a KSU fan and I even know better than that. Their DL remains solid, the LB corp will be one of the tops in the B12, their DB's are still in good shape. Your OL will need some re-tooling, and McAnderson's departure hurts, but quite frankly, who thought he'd have the type of year that he had? Like Cornish, I think McAnderson is a system RB. I'm sure you'll plug a new guy into that spot, maybe not one with as much experience, but still. I've heard some pretty incredible things about Boyd-Anderson at RB.

I wish you nothing but the worst in 08, but unfortunately, I think ku football will be just fine next season. ;)

Mr. Laz
01-08-2008, 10:27 AM
As we've seen from the basketball program, players leaving early can actually be a great recruitment tool. A recruit wants to go to a program that prepares them for the next level. Hopefully KU can recover and at least get to a bowl next year to keep their names out there.
yep, it's true ....... i would just rather have waited 1 more year before losing guys to the NFL. We need to have another good year of football to maintain the momentum.

KC Kings
01-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Well, that sucks. I thought KU would do alright if Talib left, but Collins leaving is gonna hurt. I think it would be alright if the Chiefs drafted Collins in the 3rd round. I actually believe that guy has a better chance at becoming a very good NFL player that Talib. Talib has great instincts but lacks NFL speed.
And move him to RT, or do you think it is ok to wait until the 3rd round to draft a LT?

Sam Hall
01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
why would Beck make such a move?

He knows Bo from their days in Youngstown, Ohio.