PDA

View Full Version : Joe Gibbs resigns as Redskins coach

ChiefsFan4Life
01-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Joe Gibbs Resigns As Redskins Coach
January 8th, 2008 @ 6:59am

By JOSEPH WHITE
AP Sports Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, the Associated Press has learned.

A person familiar with Gibbs' decision, speaking on condition of anonymity because the news had not been officially announced, said Gibbs would make his resignation known later Tuesday morning and would discuss it at 3 p.m. news conference.

The official said the Redskins would begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained that he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.

Gibbs' resignation brings an apparent end to a Hall of Fame career in which he twice raised the Redskins from mediocrity into a playoff team, although he failed in his goal of bringing the team back to the Super Bowl during his second stint in Washington. Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first tenure from 1981-92; the second time around he took the team to the postseason in two of his four seasons.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=140&sid=2451595

Count Zarth
01-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Here come the untold legions screaming HIRE SAUNDERS!!!

MOhillbilly
01-08-2008, 07:17 AM
saunders was a HC?:shake:

FD
01-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Not really surprising, considering his age and the struggles this year and last. It will be interesting to see who becomes head coach, as there are essentially two head coaches already at the OC and DC positions.

MOhillbilly
01-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Not really surprising, considering his age and the struggles this year and last. It will be interesting to see who becomes head coach, as there are essentially two head coaches already at the OC and DC positions.

i doubt saunders gets the nod from Mr. Snyder.

KCChiefsFan88
01-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Wasn't Gregg Williams given the "Coach in Waiting" title when he was given that fat contract a few years ago?

MOhillbilly
01-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Wasn't Gregg Williams given the "Coach in Waiting" title when he was given that fat contract a few years ago?

1 million if he doesnt get it.

Phobia
01-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Of the Chargers many years ago.

Dartgod
01-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Are you serious?

Count Zarth
01-08-2008, 07:27 AM
He was. In San Diego.

ChiefsFan4Life
01-08-2008, 07:29 AM
It's going to be Greg Williams (not Saunders) unless they are willing to give Williams 1 mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2284695

MOhillbilly
01-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Are you serious?

calm down francis.

MOhillbilly
01-08-2008, 07:35 AM
It's going to be Greg Williams (not Saunders) unless they are willing to give Williams 1 mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2284695

man thats from 06'. that dont mean nothin now.

MOhillbilly
01-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Of the Chargers many years ago.

bah whada ya want we had like 50+ touchdowns or some such lastnight.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Gibbs was awful. The game had clearly passed him by. At least he has enough sense to know when to get out, though.

ChiefsFan4Life
01-08-2008, 07:54 AM
man thats from 06'. that dont mean nothin now.

It's part of his contract - so what if the article is from '06? Are you honestly confused about this?

MOhillbilly
01-08-2008, 09:11 AM
It's part of his contract - so what if the article is from '06? Are you honestly confused about this?

nope i just know stuff.

Dartgod
01-08-2008, 09:16 AM
calm down francis.
Actually, I was genuinely wondering if you were serious or not. I was assuming you were being sarcastic, but if you weren't, I was going to educate you. :thumb:

The Bad Guy
01-08-2008, 09:23 AM
nope i just know stuff.

Saunders was all but assured by Vermeil and Carl that he would be the head coach when Vermeil left. This according to someone close to Saunders.

Unless you're close with Daniel Synder, you have no idea whether Gregg Williams is going to be the new HC.

Chief Faithful
01-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Gibbs was awful. The game had clearly passed him by. At least he has enough sense to know when to get out, though.

I didn't see anything about the 2007 Redskins that supports your statement. You may not like his approach, but he rebuilt that team and got them back in the playoffs in a relative short timeframe. There where a lot of good coaches over the last decade that couldn't do what he did.

MOhillbilly
01-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Saunders was all but assured by Vermeil and Carl that he would be the head coach when Vermeil left. This according to someone close to Saunders.

Unless you're close with Daniel Synder, you have no idea whether Gregg Williams is going to be the new HC.

wasnt refering to that, but whatever.

Coogs
01-08-2008, 09:52 AM
At least he has enough sense to know when to get out, though.

I am pretty sure this is true, but not 100% sure. For a coach to be able to qualify for a 100% pension, they must coach 15 years. Gibbs put in 11 years in his first stindt as HC, and 4 in his 2nd term. 15 years on the nose.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2008, 10:17 AM
wow ..... didn't see that coming

kc1977
01-08-2008, 10:43 AM

By the success standards here, he was far more successful than Dick Vermeil was here. Gibbs had 2 playoff appearances in 4 seasons, and 1 playoff WIN!

Looking back, while I wasn't for him getting the job back then, what I wouldn't give now to have hired Al Saunders instead of Herman - we certainly wouldn't be stuck with Brodie if we had gone with Saunders as Head Coach.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I didn't see anything about the 2007 Redskins that supports your statement. You may not like his approach, but he rebuilt that team and got them back in the playoffs in a relative short timeframe. There where a lot of good coaches over the last decade that couldn't do what he did.

How about not knowing the timeout rule??

FAX
01-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Gibbs has reached codger stage, to be sure. Still, two playoff appearances in four years looks pretty good from where I sit.

FAX

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Marty is not expecting a call

Chief Faithful
01-08-2008, 11:46 AM
How about not knowing the timeout rule??

Is that really the foundation of your argument? When you say the game has passed him buy you mean he wasn't aware of a minor rule?

Gibbs is a top notch football coach. He was one of the best before he retired. He returned to the game and turned around a perennial under achieving program proving his approach still works in this decade. I'd say his ability to turn around the program makes a much stronger arguement than saying the game has passed him buy because you perceived he has a lack of awareness of a timeout rule.

You must be practicing your arguementative writing skills.

Coogs
01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
By the success standards here, he was far more successful than Dick Vermeil was here.

And staying with my previous post. Dick Vermeil was at Philly for 7 seasons from '76-'82. After 14 years off, he magically came back for 3 seasons in St. Louie. Still 5 season short, he came to KC with old pal CP to get in his 5 seasons to qualify for the full HC pension. Coincidence?

Adept Havelock
01-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Shame to see it, IMO.

On the other hand, it was weird having an active coach who was already in the NFL Hall Of Fame.

Gibbs is a top notch football coach. He was one of the best before he retired. He returned to the game and turned around a perennial under achieving program proving his approach still works in this decade. I'd say his ability to turn around the program makes a much stronger arguement than saying the game has passed him buy because you perceived he has a lack of awareness of a timeout rule.

Very well said, CF.

kc1977
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
And staying with my previous post. Dick Vermeil was at Philly for 7 seasons from '76-'82. After 14 years off, he magically came back for 3 seasons in St. Louie. Still 5 season short, he came to KC with old pal CP to get in his 5 seasons to qualify for the full HC pension. Coincidence?

Wow, you may have convinced me there was another reason for Vermeil to come to KC other than solely to prove that it was he, and not Mike Martz, who was the genius behind the Rams offense.

An equally offensive reason to come back to coach, but another reason nonetheless.

bango
01-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Saunders coached the Chargers in 86, 87, and in 88. In 86 it was just half the season and they went three and five. The only full season was in 88 and they went six and ten. I save 87 for last because it is good. It was the strike year so there were only fifteen games played. The first game was a loss by one touchdown to the Chiefs at Arrowhead. After that it was an eight game winning streak. Then a six game losing streak to finish the season. It started in Seattle, and the sweep by Denver in this six game slide did not help either. Not being able to beat the Oilers or Seahawks cost them a playoff spot to these two teams who ended up meeting in the Wild Card game.

ChiefsLV
01-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Looking back, while I wasn't for him getting the job back then, what I wouldn't give now to have hired Al Saunders instead of Herman - we certainly wouldn't be stuck with Brodie if we had gone with Saunders as Head Coach.

Because Brodie is just tearing this franchise apart. :rolleyes:

the Talking Can
01-08-2008, 07:45 PM
heard an agent on the radio today - Sexton? - that said Williams did not have a bonus payment in his contract if he is passed over as HC...

the Talking Can
01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I think it was Jimmy Sexton, he was representing Coker who came in 2nd at SMU to Jones..

said SMU pulled together their top 20 donors, and the donors promised whatever $$$$ they need for a coach, facilities, and recruiting...very interesting to watch that...

CoMoChief
01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
RE-HIRE AL SAUNDERS AS OC IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!