PDA

View Full Version : When are the Chiefs going to start interviewing potential offensive coordinators?

KCChiefsFan88
01-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Have they already started interviewing and they have kept silent about it under Dictator Carl's Iron Curtain?

Have they not started the interview process and if so what are they waiting for? (considering the 49ers have started their interview process and the Lambs are now in the mix for a new OC as well).

The Senior Bowl is 2 weeks from this Saturday

Phobia
01-08-2008, 07:28 AM
After all the good ones are gone. Are you new?

Count Zarth
01-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Have they already started interviewing and they have kept silent about it under Dictator Carl's Iron Curtain?

I'm not sure about interviews but I know they have talked to some guys.

They want to get the OC hired before the Sr. Bowl.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Because Jimmy Raye or Paul Hacket have already accepted the job. They just haven't "announced" it yet.

;)

Fried Meat Ball!
01-08-2008, 07:31 AM
They're going to make the ST coach do the offense -- it won't be hard. Run up the gut, gun up the gut, pass to the flat, get Dustin out there on time.

HonestChieffan
01-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Soon as Carl can find one to work for 50 cents on the dollar and some new Chiefs socks.

banyon
01-08-2008, 07:35 AM
There's no need to hurry. Dick Curl will still be sitting there.

FringeNC
01-08-2008, 07:44 AM
There's no need to hurry. Dick Curl will still be sitting there.

One would hope that a new OC would demand Dick f'n Curl stay the hell out of his way. I can't imagine Chan Gailey allowing Dick Curl to have veto power over his playcalls.

alanm
01-08-2008, 07:48 AM
What the f*ck does the Senior Bowl have to do with anything? :hmmm:

beach tribe
01-08-2008, 08:01 AM
In a hurry for disappointment eh?

StcChief
01-08-2008, 08:03 AM
I use to think Chiefs were the Cubs of NFL....

now I think we have moved down to the Royals of NFL

FringeNC
01-08-2008, 08:08 AM
What the f*ck does the Senior Bowl have to do with anything? :hmmm:

I think I read somewhere that supposedly the Chiefs want to have an OC by the Senior Bowl, in which case you'd think the interviews should be starting soon.

crazycoffey
01-08-2008, 08:11 AM
They're waiting for Trent to announce his retirement first.....

[/first in with the Trent as OC joke]

stevieray
01-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I think I read somewhere that supposedly the Chiefs want to have an OC by the Senior Bowl, in which case you'd think the interviews should be starting soon.

they are interviewing candidates this week.

bkkcoh
01-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Maybe they are going to wait until the playoffs are over or some team gets beat and interview an existing OC and give them a title of Assist HC and OC.

AZORChiefFan
01-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Why pay someone to coordinate something you don't have?

Count Zarth
01-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Why pay someone to coordinate something you don't have?

I'm glad you aren't coaching the Chiefs.

thehead
01-08-2008, 08:27 AM

ROFL It's the truth sad but true

AZORChiefFan
01-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm glad you aren't coaching the Chiefs.
Backatcha

thehead
01-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Kinda hard to find someone as dumb as Herm or someone that will attach his name to the sinking ship SS Carl Peterson with captain Herm Edwards at the helm :harumph:

talastan
01-08-2008, 08:32 AM
They're waiting for the last minute that way they can get the most desperate guy for the cheapest amount of cash. Unfortunately, being the great businessman he is, CeePee was never taught that you pay extra for a great quality product. :rolleyes:

Count Zarth
01-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Backatcha

I'd make a better candidate than someone who wouldn't even bother to hire an offensive coordinator. That's seriously one of the dumbest takes of all time. You can't possibly justify it.

HemiEd
01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
They have been having trouble tracking Jimmy Raye down.

AZORChiefFan
01-08-2008, 08:39 AM
I'd make a better candidate than someone who wouldn't even bother to hire an offensive coordinator. That's seriously one of the dumbest takes of all time. You can't possibly justify it.

It was a joke.

Considering the offense ranking this year an argument could be made that they really didn't have an offense at all.

Zouk
01-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Maybe they are going to wait until the playoffs are over or some team gets beat and interview an existing OC and give them a title of Assist HC and OC.

Teams no longer have to let coaches out of their contracts for any promotion below the level of head coach. The NFL changed the rules.

kc rush
01-08-2008, 09:07 AM

now I think we have moved down to the Royals of NFL

The Royals dumped their old GM and have hired someone with a lot of promise.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs are not even the Royals of the NFL.

38yrsfan
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
If I remember correctly (that can be challenging) Solari was the O-line coach ... they were great at one time and he seemed to have found an area that worked for him. Maybe a return to that spot would be best for all.

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2008, 02:54 PM

now I think we have moved down to the Royals of NFL The Royals won a WS 22 yrs ago.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2008, 02:58 PM
When are the Chiefs going to start interviewing potential offensive coordinators?

after june 1st cuts so they can get one cheap

NCarlsCorner2
01-08-2008, 03:48 PM
They have interviewed Chan Gailey.

booger
01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Jeremy Bates the young up and comer w/Denver..........ShannyRat fired his pappy Jim Bates as DC so maybe he would prefer to leave no matter what. That doesnt always happen though.

Interesting tidbit though.

How many DC's is that for Denver know since the super bowl years? A new DC what every 2 yrs?

Count Zarth
01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Jesus, they already fired Bates?

At least we don't have to worry about Denver for a while.

booger
01-08-2008, 04:16 PM
espn.com

booger
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I like how every time they fire a coach or cut a vet player they have nothing but nice to say about shanny.

Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Bates came to a mutual agreement to part ways Tuesday.

Bates, who was a head coach candidate when he was with the Green Bay Packers, was hired last year to turn around the Broncos defense. The team went backward instead of forward. Bates and Shanahan met Monday and came to a resolution late Monday night.

The Broncos signed Bates to a three-year, $3.9 million contract last year.

"I'm very thankful for the opportunity and very saddened that things did not work out," Bates said in statement. "I had the opportunity to stay, Mike has been very fair with me, and the final decision, for the Broncos and for me, was to step aside."

PastorMikH
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
When will the Chiefs start interviewing OCs?

My bet is right after all the good ones are hired.

Edit: Had I read the thread I would have seen it didn't take Phil long at all to beat me too the correct answer.

booger
01-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Gailey went to Frisco to interview but it looks like Martz got that job.

chop
01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
For $99.00 I'm sure WPI will speculate on the OC interviewing process.

jjchieffan
01-08-2008, 04:22 PM

No, thats what AJ Smith would do. Please don't compare him to Carl.

Count Zarth
01-08-2008, 04:24 PM

We fully admit we have no idea at this point.

However, the UTEP athletic department was very responsive to a request we put in today.

acesn8s
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
i will do the job and I come cheap too.

NCarlsCorner2
01-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Gailey went to Frisco to interview but it looks like Martz got that job.

Gailey was in KC yesterday.

Cochise
01-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Tell you what, for $10 less, send me your telephone number and I'll call you directly every morning with whatever information other media outlets report.

FringeNC
01-08-2008, 04:36 PM

According to whom?

Messier
01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
The Royals dumped their old GM and have hired someone with a lot of promise.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs are not even the Royals of the NFL.

The Chiefs have never been as bad as the Royals were the last ten years.

Chiefs= Mediocre to bad at times.

Royals= historic and unprecedented badness.

BigRock
01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard that they already interviewed Eric Price from UTEP. Herm says he wants a OC who has experience calling plays, and Teicher on the Star site says Herm would prefer a fresh young mind to take over and not a retread.

To me, that narrows it down to Price and maybe Mike Shula. But whether or not the "fresh young mind" stuff really applies to Shula is arguable. Depends on what he's learned since his time in Tampa, I guess.

StcChief
01-08-2008, 04:59 PM
The Royals won a WS 22 yrs ago.
I've been waiting for that to re-live your glorious victory again... :rolleyes:

with great move of Carl we could be working our way to AAA Football,
and compete for the Grey Cup.

booger
01-08-2008, 05:21 PM

That's a good thing to those who want him hired. I think he would be a good fit.

Apparently Nolan wanted him in SF but lost some power and they hired a GM. He, feeling a little nervous about Job security probably didn't want Martz as his first choice. Not about only production but the fact he is probably worried Martz might eventually take his job.

Just speculation.

chop
01-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Tell you what, for $10 less, send me your telephone number and I'll call you directly every morning with whatever information other media outlets report.

hmmm....(with hands held out simulating a scale and head tilted as to think I was considering my options) Cochise or WPI, Coshise or WPI.

Halfcan
01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
The Chiefs called me for the job, but I told them to **** off!

booger
01-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't be suprised to see Karl Dorrell's name mentioned as a WR coach candidate. Our current TE coach Jon Embree was on his staff at UCLA for a couple years, might be some lobbying there. Also Dorrell was mentioned as a possibility in Houston as OC before Kubiak promoted The Rat v.2.0 today along with hiring Gibbs. I know Dorrell was WR coach in Denver before HC at UCLA so maybe going back there is an option too?

Just more speculating. There is that UCLA connection you know.

Maybe Chuck Long from SD St.

I think the more we wait the more it seems like we are waiting for J'ville to lose in the playoffs to announce Mike Shula as OC.

milkman
01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
The Chiefs called me for the job, but I told them to **** off!

The sad thing is, this is almost believable.

I can easily envision Herman ****ing Edwards hiring some dumbass off the streets who knows less about football than the average dumbass off the street.

a1na2
01-09-2008, 05:18 PM
When are the Chiefs going to start interviewing potential offensive coordinators?

Isn't it obvious? After all of the good people are taken.

Count Zarth
01-09-2008, 05:20 PM

Isn't it obvious? After all of the good people are taken.

Mike Martz is the only OC that has been hired.

booger
01-09-2008, 05:21 PM
This guy is like Gibbs. One of the best, older as well, and was recently let go by parcells. Also coached with Gailey at Dallas and before Gailey arived. Hudson Hauck (http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/team/coachingstaff/coachingstaff_houck_h.asp)

I thought i read earlier he might retire. Hauck)

OnTheWarpath58
01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I love how everyone is saying Carl/Herm are shuffling their feet.

Meanwhile, exactly ONE OC has been hired, (Martz) and it was reported the day after he was fired that he was going to talk to SF.

It's pretty obvious that there are some guys they want to interview that they can't because their teams are still playing. Mike Shula, for example.

If they have an interest in Shula, they're not gonna hire someone until they get their chance to interview him.

I guess all the other teams with openings are idiots as well......

Cochise
01-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Carl is waiting for the better ones to slot salaries before he goes after the one he's picked out.

doomy3
01-09-2008, 06:16 PM

Meanwhile, exactly ONE OC has been hired, (Martz) and it was reported the day after he was fired that he was going to talk to SF.

It's pretty obvious that there are some guys they want to interview that they can't because their teams are still playing. Mike Shula, for example.

If they have an interest in Shula, they're not gonna hire someone until they get their chance to interview him.

You must have forgotten that so many on here truly believe that Carl and Herm have no real interest in winning.

Mr. Laz
01-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Carl is waiting for the better ones to slot salaries before he goes after the one he's picked out.
heh

Gary
01-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Carl is waiting for just the right moment to...trade away a few draft picks for the right to talk to Cam Cameron.

DaneMcCloud
01-10-2008, 02:27 AM
Carl is waiting for just the right moment to...trade away a few draft picks for the right to talk to Cam Cameron.

Uh...

TEX
01-10-2008, 07:37 AM
You must have forgotten that so many on here truly believe that Carl and Herm have no real interest in winning.

I think it has more to do with the belief that they really don't know how to accomplish that.

KCChiefsFan88
01-10-2008, 07:41 AM

I have a hard time believing the only offensive coordinators they are interested in are all still in the playoffs. Why not start the interview process now and get a jump on the rush to hire offensive coordinators?

Is it interfering with Dictator Carl and Herm's 6 month vacation?

NY CHIEF
01-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Hey we might be better off just letting the players draw up a play in the huddle :hmmm:

Coogs
01-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Last night on 610 sports, I heard that Price was in town for an interview (which would have been yesterday). And the Chiefs had also interviewed Gailey a day or two before.

acasas4
01-10-2008, 08:04 AM
I think it has more to do with the belief that they really don't know how to accomplish that.

You got it brother!:clap:

Woodrow Call
01-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Last night on 610 sports, I heard that Price was in town for an interview (which would have been yesterday). And the Chiefs had also interviewed Gailey a day or two before.

IMO Gailey is a no brainer but nothing would surprise me at this point.

NCarlsCorner2
01-10-2008, 11:19 AM
According to whom?

According to am810 and Eric Price has also been interviewed.

OnTheWarpath58
01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I have a hard time believing the only offensive coordinators they are interested in are all still in the playoffs. Why not start the interview process now and get a jump on the rush to hire offensive coordinators?

Is it interfering with Dictator Carl and Herm's 6 month vacation?

THEY HAVE.

For Christ sake, man...do you read?

Price and Gailey have BOTH been interviewed.

IF, and I'll repeat.....IF they have ANY interest in Shula, you won't be hearing a decision until the Jags lose and they have a chance to sit down with him.