PDA

View Full Version : Grüss Gott, meine Damen und Herren

SNR
01-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm currently in Vienna brushing up on my German and having a good time. Lots of fricken cool (not to mention old) things here. I'm here for the rest of the month, so I can take a break from Chiefs football (though that's not the reason I'm here).

I'll get some pictures up on here when I get the chance. It's pretty incredible here.

SNR

Simplex3
01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Verstehen Sie nicht mein Kampf!

Cochise
01-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Be careful how you say 'after'.

crazycoffey
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Guten Tag! Ein Hefevisen, bitte

Rausch
01-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Lucky bastidge...

StcChief
01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Dunkel Beir

Wa-Z
01-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Was machen sie dort?

(What are you doing there?)

el borracho
01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Ich habe kleide veisse.
Mein hut hat drei echen.
Du bist eine schone frau.
Oh, mein gott; Ich hasse die schule!
Habst du eine armbandohr?

el borracho
01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Oh, and Wie ghets?

(pretty sure that is all I remember from German 101, 14 years ago)

SNR
01-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Was machen sie dort?

(What are you doing there?)There's a famous music publisher that sells old hand-written manuscripts from the shop. I've received a grant to research and re-produce them so they can be sold to the average joe. Kind of like archaeology, only more snobby and a hell of a lot dorkier.

Things I've realized-

1) The Viennese dialect is unlike anything out there as far as German speakers are concerned. It's even a far cry from Swabian. The best example I can give is Arnold Schwarzegger speaking German while on crack. I can barely understand them.

2) It's an historic city, for sure. It's built around its museums, monuments, and still-standing architectural wonders like the many palaces and neo-gothic cathedrals (the St. Stephens Dom, for example). It doesn't really have much going for it as 'the place to be' these days because it just got totally stripped of its roots after WWI. When the Hapsburgs were out and a republic showed up, the building of cool shit stopped, and before WWII, the intellectual makeup of the city (the Jews, pretty much) all left. So now it has.... what it once had.

3) They have a great mass-transit system here. The U-Bahn system is easy to navigate and quick and easy. The buses are also great. Large congested cities should really use places like Vienna as an example on how to cut down on congestion. If public transportation became the easiest and most convenient thing, more people would do it

4) Dogs are everywhere. In the subway stations, restaurants, hotels, and on buses too. They're all tame when they're inside, too. No barking whatsoever. According to a friend of mine who lives there, dogs have a high place in society. For instance, it is much preferred by the general Viennese public that a new patron walk into a restaurant with a dog on a leash, than with a stroller carrying a kid.

More on this later

Rain Man
01-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I hear that they have great sausage in Vienna.

Simplex3
01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Where the hell do I get a crazy ass job like that? Does it pay well?

SNR
01-09-2008, 04:46 AM
I hear that they have great sausage in Vienna.They do. Wienerschnitzel, however, is not this. It's actually a breaded tenderized pork tenderloin slightly fried. It takes up the entire plate. Quite good though.

SNR
01-09-2008, 04:50 AM
Where the hell do I get a crazy ass job like that? Does it pay well?The University of North Dakota received a grant to expand the music department, and this is part of it. I have to pay for meals and other stuff, but I'm in a four-star hotel and my air travel is paid for. They're trying to claim a certain expertise in the musicology area, and I'm part of that. Part of my pursuit of a doctorate, if I get it directly through the university and my work becomes popular among music sellers, that will be huge for them.

Kind of a 'we're paying to help you help us help you' sorta thing, I guess.