PDA

View Full Version : When Will The Chiefs Make The Playoffs Again?

FAX
01-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Just a diversion from the other wacky threads. I trust this is not a silly or depressing question, but I was wondering when you guys think we'll make the playoffs again?

Personally, even if "The Plan" comes to fluition, I still don't think we'll be in the playoffs for another 3 years. That would be after Herm's contract is up and a new HC is hired (hopefully) which means that the new HC might change things again which means that it might be even longer. In the West, the Eggos seem to be finding their legs and the goats are improving so it looks as though a wild card would likely be our best shot to get in but we'd still have to win at least 9 games or so - maybe 10. In looking at Herm's history, that's a lot of wins for him.

Any thoughts on this troublesome topic?

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if re-post.

HonestChieffan
01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Im betting two years to PO game.

Next year not so good..year after better. But Im assuming the Denver slide will continue and that San Diego will have issues maintaing their position. Oakland will just be Oakland.

And I have faith in the people who live under the stadium to move back after construction.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
Playoffs?

I keep hearing about this unfamiliar term, but I'm not quite sure what the Chiefs and playoffs have to do with each other?

Could you use the word in a sentence?

InChiefsHell
I think it will be 2 years, Herm's last year. But hell, we could find a way to squeak in even this season, but the Donks and the Bolts will make it difficult.

My question is, when do you think the Chiefs will be a division winner again? That would at least mean we are contenders...

KCFalcon59
01-08-2008, 10:53 AM
No shot the next 2 years. If CP/Herm are let go, then maybe 3 years into a re-rebuilding from the mess they inherit, I would say at least 5 years from now. Possibly longer. How are the club seats now, dipshit?

acesn8s
01-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Playoffs?

I keep hearing about this unfamiliar term, but I'm not quite sure what the Chiefs and playoffs have to do with each other?

Could you use the word in a sentence?The Kansas City Chiefs view the playoffs like the BCS... there is no need for playoffs.

:shake:

InChiefsHell
01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Playoffs?

No problem. Ah-hem..."Every time the Chiefs go to the playoffs, they get their asses kicked."

Stinger
01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Make the playoffs probably 2009 .... Win a playoff game not even the Amazing Kreskin knows that. :shake:

FAX
01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
I think it will be 2 years, Herm's last year. But hell, we could find a way to squeak in even this season, but the Donks and the Bolts will make it difficult.

My question is, when do you think the Chiefs will be a division winner again? That would at least mean we are contenders...

An even more difficult question, Mr. InChiefsHell. That could be 5 to 7 years ... who knows? Much depends on the red wheelbarrow glazed with rain water and whoever becomes our next HC.

FAX

FringeNC
01-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Any shot of us becoming a good team again will require Herm hitting a HR on hiring the OC, and then completely removing himself from the offense.

tooge
I think they gey progressively better from here (duh). With some upgrades, probably 7 or 8 wins next year, then 9 or 10 in 2 years. I would say playoffs are an outside shot in '09 and they get there in 2010

Count Zarth
If Croyle pans out, next year.

If not, when the next quarterback arrives.

FAX
No shot the next 2 years. If CP/Herm are let go, then maybe 3 years into a re-rebuilding from the mess they inherit, I would say at least 5 years from now. Possibly longer. How are the club seats now, dipshit?

Just who, exactly, are you referring to as a dipshit, Mr. KCFalcon59?

Don't make me bring Mr. morphius over here.

FAX

FAX
01-08-2008, 10:59 AM
If Croyle pans out, next year.

If not, when the next quarterback arrives.

Thanks for turning my new thread into a Croyle-bashing free for all, Mr. GoChiefs.

FAX

King_Chief_Fan
01-08-2008, 10:59 AM
in my Jim Mora impression
Plaaaayoffs? Plaaayoffs? You kidding me, Plaaaoffs?

MTG#10
01-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Do you own club seats Mr. FAX? Or have you ever had the desire to club a baby seal Mr. FAX?

Mr. Laz
01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
make or win? huge difference

make the playoffs in 2009

win? after Carl is gone. :(

FAX
01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Do you own club seats Mr. FAX? Or have you ever had the desire to club a baby seal Mr. FAX?

I haven't clubbed a baby seal in years. That part of my life is over.

Frankly, I have no idea what Mr. KCFalcon59 is talking about. But, if necessary, I'm ready to rumble.

FAX

acesn8s
01-08-2008, 11:12 AM

Frankly, I have no idea what Mr. KCFalcon59 is talking about. But, if necessary, I'm ready to rumble.

FAXLet's get ready to RRUUUUMMBBLLLLLLLLEEE!!!

Luzap
01-08-2008, 11:21 AM

FAX

Looks like you're getting pulled in by association.

Luz
:)

Calcountry
01-08-2008, 11:22 AM
When Ron Paul wins the Presidency.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Being competitive once your in the playoffs happens once every 3-4 appearances. At this rate I'll be dead before they make another AFC Championship game. If they even exsist then

StcChief
01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Post Carl regime.

talastan
01-08-2008, 11:38 AM
FAX
You didn't have an unfortunate incident with yellow snow did you Mr Fax? ROFL

ClevelandBronco
01-08-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't see why the Chiefs won't compete for a playoff spot in 2008. Given the state of the AFC West (I still have no confidence that Norv won't figure out a way to kill the Chargers) I'm entirely serious.

xbarretx
01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Playoffs?

well CP might define Playoffs as Minutia

Micjones
01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I think we'll be a playoff team again in 2009.

KCFalcon59
01-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Just who, exactly, are you referring to as a dipshit, Mr. KCFalcon59?

Don't make me bring Mr. morphius over here.

FAX

Not you Mr. Fax. It was a reference to Luz who so much wants club level seats.

el borracho
01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I estimate less than 10% chance of a playoff appearance in 2008 and less than 50% chance of a playoff appearance in 2009 with no chance in either case of a playoff win.

Cochise
01-08-2008, 12:13 PM
2009 would be a dream scenario considering the mess this team is in. I was thinking 2010.

HemiEd
01-08-2008, 12:18 PM
It may be a very, very long time Mr. Fax. The last time I saw the Chiefs suck this bad, they lucked into the playoffs one year out of 16 IIRC. They went about 18 years without a MNF game!

The way I see it, learning how to lose is easy, but learning how to win is very difficult. Herm is going to have to show me something entirely different than what he has already shown, for me to believe he can do it.

FAX
01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Looks like you're getting pulled in by association.

Luz
:)

ROFL

Ah ... I get it now. For the record, I hope we both get club level seats. I can only hope it's not just in time to see this thing scrape the big iceberg.

I have dibs on the first lifeboat, by the way.

FAX

FAX
01-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Not you Mr. Fax. It was a reference to Luz who so much wants club level seats.

ROFL

No el problemo, Mr. KCFalcon59. I wasn't in the mood to rumble, after all.

More like in the mood for a big monte cristo sandwich and some hot onion rings.

FAX

FAX
01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
2009 would be a dream scenario considering the mess this team is in. I was thinking 2010.

Given our current situation, 2010 is really the earliest I can see, Mr. Cochise. The problem is that Herm's contract expires that year and if he doesn't return, a new HC will come in. If that happens, we might see completely new schemes on both sides of the ball which could easily cost us additional years.

Our schedule for the next couple of seasons should be favorable, however, so that could bode well for us. I wonder if Mr. cdcox can project the odds that far out, or does he need the actual schedules?

FAX

Fruit Ninja
01-08-2008, 02:49 PM
2009 at the earliest, but i think 2010.

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2008, 02:56 PM
The day before the Sun goes supernova...

Spott
01-08-2008, 03:15 PM
It really doesn't matter because we aren't going anywhere even if we do make the playoffs.

RustShack
01-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Next year.

jjchieffan
01-08-2008, 03:43 PM
What is all this negativity? Has Mecca disease spread throughout the planet? I know it looks bleak now. But lets see who the new OC is, and what is done in FA and the draft before we write off this season. Unlike Mecca, I think this team is not that far off. With the right moves thos offseason, we could win 10 games next season. The AFC West sucks this year and our schedule looks pretty easy.

FringeNC
01-08-2008, 03:48 PM
What is all this negativity? Has Mecca disease spread throughout the planet? I know it looks bleak now. But lets see who the new OC is, and what is done in FA and the draft before we write off this season. Unlike Mecca, I think this team is not that far off. With the right moves thos offseason, we could win 10 games next season. The AFC West sucks this year and our schedule looks pretty easy.

It's hard to be optimistic when put up Peterson and Herm to go against Pioli and Belichick. Peterson and Herm against anybody -- what teams have a worse GM/HC combination than we do? The list isn't very long.

Spott
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM

3 Playoff wins in 38 years tends to make fans a little pessimistic.

acesn8s
01-08-2008, 04:10 PM
What is all this negativity? Has Mecca disease spread throughout the planet? I know it looks bleak now. But lets see who the new OC is, and what is done in FA and the draft before we write off this season. Unlike Mecca, I think this team is not that far off. With the right moves thos offseason, we could win 10 games next season. The AFC West sucks this year and our schedule looks pretty easy.And Carl could be fired tomorrow...

but it won't happen.

Calcountry
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
What is all this negativity? Has Mecca disease spread throughout the planet? I know it looks bleak now. But lets see who the new OC is, and what is done in FA and the draft before we write off this season. Unlike Mecca, I think this team is not that far off. With the right moves thos offseason, we could win 10 games next season. The AFC West sucks this year and our schedule looks pretty easy.Even if what you say is true, it is a proven recipe for one and done in the playoffs. We want more than that for our team.

FAX
01-08-2008, 04:21 PM

I hope you're right, Mr. jjchieffan. Our schedule is certainly favorable. A lot depends on what we can do with our oline. I think Herm can cobble together enough of a defense to keep things going, but we need to be able to run the ball and score.

In other news, this little tidbit really pisses me off. If the Rooski's make it to Mars before us, can they claim the entire planet? Did we claim the Moon when we landed there?

Russia can be the first to land astronauts on Mars

-------

MOSCOW. Jan 8 (Interfax-AVN) - Russia is technically ready for a manned flight to Mars in early 2020, Academician Lev Zelyony, the director of the Space Researches Institute at the Russian Academy of Sciences, said.

"It is prestigious and real and it is Russia's priority to land a cosmonaut on Mars. This task can be solved both economically and technically," Zelyony told Interfax-AVN.

If one starts preparing a flight to Mars in the near future, a Russian astronaut could land on Mars in 2023-2025, the academician said.

Russia has done more than any other country, including the United States, as far as such an expedition to Mars is concerned, he said.

"We have a certain handicap in this race, because we have the widest experience as to manned space flights. The Mir station worked even in dark 1990-s, than the [International Space Station] ISS appeared. This means that a chain of manned flights has never been torn," Zelyony said.

A manned expedition should include unmanned equipment, such as satellites and Mars rovers, because automatic equipment can carry out most of researches, the academician said.

"Generally, a person proceeding from purely scientific basis may not fly either to the Moon or Mars: this is unprofitable. However, an aspiration to study new things is inherent to the nature of a human, and thanks God, this breakthrough cannot be stopped," Zelyony said.

http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/politics/28.html?id_issue=11941306

-------

FAX

bogey
01-08-2008, 04:37 PM
All I've been hearing is rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. So, we're rebuilding. Why would anyone expect more. If we get a new QB we could make the playoffs and more next year.

bogey
01-08-2008, 04:50 PM
All I've been hearing is rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. So, we're rebuilding. Why would anyone expect more. If we get a new QB we could make the playoffs and more next year.

So I've been on CP for a long time. I am no longer at the original computer that I used to post from (work). How the **** can I start a new ****ing thread. It's me bogie. Most don't know me or care, some do... I want to start a ****ing thread without hijacking someone else's. IT'S ME BOGIE, YOU KNOW THE GUY THAT CAN'T SPELL AND DOESN'T REALLY BRING MUCH TO THE TABLE. BUT I STILL WANT MY THREAD STARTING POWER BACK!!! Sorry Fax (I love you man) I just had to try to get my thread starting rights back.

FAX
01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
That's so funny. I thought it might be you, Mr. bogey, but the post count didn't make sense. I was going to look and see if the original Mr. bogey was spelled "bogie". Are you sure you're the original, authentic, Mr. bogie?

FAX

Direckshun
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Once the NFL goes into a BCS bowl system, the Chiefs will battle the Falcons in the Sprint PCS Phone Bowl.

bogey
01-08-2008, 05:04 PM
That's so funny. I thought it might be you, Mr. bogey, but the post count didn't make sense. I was going to look and see if the original Mr. bogey was spelled "bogie". Are you sure you're the original, authentic, Mr. bogie?

FAX

OH MY GOD! THANKS FOR RESPONDING FAX. I'm so sorry for hijacking your thread. Yes, yes, yes it's me. I have been kidnapped by the computer gestapo and because I'm computer illiterate, I have not been able to get out of this dark gray room. The bed is hard, the walls are concrete and cold and I have been so alone. How many posts are required to see the light of day again?

RNR
01-08-2008, 05:52 PM
ROFL

Ah ... I get it now. For the record, I hope we both get club level seats. I can only hope it's not just in time to see this thing scrape the big iceberg.

I have dibs on the first lifeboat, by the way.

FAX
Women and children first! oh and rich people, are you rich?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Carl leaves in 09 and it takes the new GM three full seasons to build a competent franchise.

cdcox
01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Our schedule for the next couple of seasons should be favorable, however, so that could bode well for us. I wonder if Mr. cdcox can project the odds that far out, or does he need the actual schedules?

FAX

We know 14/16ths of the schedule until the league realigns or expands. So the schedule is not the problem. It is how good the teams will be. I don't even feel confident projecting 2008 in that regard. You really need 4-6 games worth of data to have any idea.

Pablo
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
2009. At the earliest..if we win 7 games next year I'll be ecstatic..I'll probably expect a bit more the following season, like 9-7, or 10-6 and squeaking by with the wildcard.

FAX
01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
We know 14/16ths of the schedule until the league realigns or expands. So the schedule is not the problem. It is how good the teams will be. I don't even feel confident projecting 2008 in that regard. You really need 4-6 games worth of data to have any idea.

I thought the 2008 schedule was pretty much set, Mr. cdcox, no? It's the 2009 schedule we don't know, correct? I completely understand about the data problem, though.

I wonder if it's possible to use 2007 data to give us an idea what 2008 might look like - as a sort of guide? That way, we can get an early start on preparing our suicide equipment.

FAX

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I thought the 2008 schedule was pretty much set, Mr. cdcox, no? It's the 2009 schedule we don't know, correct?
FAX
Incorrect, sort of. We still know what 14/16 games are that year too. The AFC divisions we play are on a 3 yr rotation, and the NFC divisions are on a 4 yr rotation. The only thing we don't know is the 2 other AFC games that are based on how we finish.

All the info is available @

http://kcchiefs.com/future

TEX
01-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Just a diversion from the other wacky threads. I trust this is not a silly or depressing question, but I was wondering when you guys think we'll make the playoffs again?

Personally, even if "The Plan" comes to fluition, I still don't think we'll be in the playoffs for another 3 years. That would be after Herm's contract is up and a new HC is hired (hopefully) which means that the new HC might change things again which means that it might be even longer. In the West, the Eggos seem to be finding their legs and the goats are improving so it looks as though a wild card would likely be our best shot to get in but we'd still have to win at least 9 games or so - maybe 10. In looking at Herm's history, that's a lot of wins for him.

Any thoughts on this troublesome topic?

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if re-post.

Yep - Fire Herm now.

FAX
01-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Incorrect, sort of. We still know what 14/16 games are that year too. The AFC divisions we play are on a 3 yr rotation, and the NFC divisions are on a 4 yr rotation. The only thing we don't know is the 2 other AFC games that are based on how we finish.

All the info is available @

http://kcchiefs.com/future

See? This is why ChiefsPlanet is so important to the future of our country. You can learn stuff.

I didn't realize that we could project the schedule out so far. How funny. So, this means that we could, for example, treat the two unknown opponents each season as a split (so that evens out) and actually use Mr. cdcox's software to give us an estimate of the next two seasons based on 2007 data, correct?

FAX

stonedstooge
01-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I think the Chiefs will make the playoffs the first year after Herm leaves. I still think they have a core of good players that are only limited due to the lack of coaching that continues and will under Einstein Edwards. Probably wild-card but into the playoffs

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
See? This is why ChiefsPlanet is so important to the future of our country. You can learn stuff.

I didn't realize that we could project the schedule out so far. How funny. So, this means that we could, for example, treat the two unknown opponents each season as a split (so that evens out) and actually use Mr. cdcox's software to give us an estimate of the next two seasons based on 2007 data, correct?

FAX
Sure, I suppose. One would have to question its accuracy though.

cdcox
01-08-2008, 07:53 PM

FAX

I was skeptical about doing this, but here's an article by Brian Burke (I now use his single game odds in my software) that actually shows that using this year's ratings might give a decent estimate of next year's performance.

http://www.bbnflstats.com/2007/06/next-years-wins.html

I'll run the 2008 numbers once the dates of the games comes out, since I don't want to go to the work of entering the 2008 schedule twice.