PDA

View Full Version : Cap money question.

Frankie
01-08-2008, 11:58 AM
What happens to the unused portion of the cap money?
A- Will it carry over to next year?
B- Will it go back into the Hunts' pocket?
C- Are there other scenarios, that I'm not thinking of?

If B is the case it is a shameful thing if the Chiefs are not big players in the FA market.

Chiefnj2
01-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Use it or lose it.

Brock
01-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Not really. It's just unspent money to the Hunts.

Brock
01-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Also, the Chiefs are not going to be big players in the FA market, nor should they be.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I've read unused monies assigned to bonuses is carried over to the following season. LJ should of had several cap dollars set aside for such. I do know you read one thing one year & they have changed it for the next

Frankie
01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Also, the Chiefs are not going to be big players in the FA market, nor should they be.
But it would be stupid of the Chiefs not to bring in several solid mid-career vets. Yes we are rebuilding, but I firmly believe in having the young players be around good vets. I think we should really try to bring in at least one vet CB (not as old as what we have right now) and one vet OLM.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I can see how the bonuses could be abused. Like signing Sippio up from the practice squad. Throw in a $250,000 bonus if he makes 15 TDs. Knowing full well he won't

Brock
01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
But it would be stupid of the Chiefs not to bring in several solid mid-career vets. Yes we are rebuilding, but I firmly believe in having the young players be around good vets. I think we should really try to bring in at least one vet CB (not as old as what we have right now) and one vet OLM.

Lenny Walls is probably available.

ChiefGator
01-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I should probably find this for you somewhere, since it is a rather incredible part of the salary cap. But, if there is unused money one year, a small portion of that money moves forward, to be added to all subsequent salary caps. This is why teams all have slightly variable salary caps. Philadelphia was working this and I think they ended up with a cap of five million over our cap at one point.

ChiefGator
01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Hmm... with the new CBA, what I said may no longer be true.

BTW, here is something about the incentives...

http://www.vertgame.com/sal_cap.html

Here's another little-known technicality. Those "likely to be earned" incentives mentioned above? Well, when they're not reached, they become cap credits the following year, which can mean a hidden bonanza for an underachieving franchise. A team that plays poorly, and which writes incentives into many of its player contracts, may actually reap a reward the year after. Case in point: the 2004 Vikings, who were an astounding $33 million under the cap. In actuality, the Vikings' cap was almost $95 millionóthe official cap for 2004 was $80.582 millionóbecause Minnesota got more than $14 million in cap credits that year for "likely to be earned" incentives that weren't earned by their players in 2003.

Radar Chief
01-08-2008, 01:42 PM

:LOL: :shake:

Frankie
01-08-2008, 02:26 PM
No. But Assante Samuel, maybe?