PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Glen Dorsey Article

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2008, 01:13 PM
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/dorseys-knee-could-affect-draft-status/

Dorsey’s Knee Could Affect Draft Status

By Thayer Evans

Tags: Adrian Peterson, chop block, Gil Brandt, Glenn Dorsey, N.F.L. draft

NEW ORLEANS — While the senior Louisiana State defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey is seemingly the front-runner to be the first overall pick in April’s N.F.L. draft, his stock could be impacted by a right knee injury that he sustained earlier this season.

The 6-foot-2, 303-pound Dorsey strained the knee during an Oct. 20 game against Auburn after enduring a chop block and was hampered by it the rest of the season. Yet he still won Nagurski Award, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy and Lott Award this season.

Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys executive and an analyst for nfl.com, said he expected Dorsey’s knee to be heavily scrutinized by N.F.L. team doctors at the N.F.L. combine in February.

Dorsey could find himself in a draft situation similar to Minnesota Vikings tailback Adrian Peterson, Brandt said. Many believed Peterson was the best prospect in last year’s N.F.L. draft, but he was selected seventh over all because he was coming off a broken collarbone and had been hampered by injuries his previous two seasons.

“I would imagine that there’s some concern with his knee,” Brandt said of Dorsey in a telephone interview. “The teams’ doctors, 25 of them might say, ‘There’s nothing wrong with this guy. He’s in great shape.’ Seven might say, ‘Well, I think he’s a risk.’”

But because Dorsey plays defensive tackle, a position more coveted in the N.F.L., his value may ultimately outweigh possible concerns about his knee, Brandt said. If he was the No. 1 overall pick in the N.F.L. Draft, he would be the first defensive tackle selected in that spot since the Cincinnati Bengals took Ohio State’s Dan Wilkinson in 1994.

“He’s a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful human being,” Brandt said of Dorsey. “He’s a great, great person. He’s one of the nicest, politest guys you’ll ever meet in your life. The guy is unbelievable athletically. The guy’s got everything you want in a good football player.”

So will Dorsey’s knee injury negatively affect him in the draft? Will he be the first pick? Why or why not? If not, who will be?

jiveturkey
01-08-2008, 01:20 PM
He should drop to 4 or 5. :)

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
He should drop to 4 or 5. :)

findthedr , will be shitting his pants if KC picks the BPA and not an OL

HonestChieffan
01-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Denver may have a doc that can fix it...

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 01:34 PM
If Dorsey slip, Carl must pick!

El Jefe
01-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I have been saying it all year, he's the best DT in the Country, and I would love to have him.

Sure-Oz
01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I hope this injury makes him slip to us, he's a definite stud. I just hope it isnt our luck to draft him and he gets hurt, but you can't pass on a guy like that.

Mecca
01-08-2008, 02:00 PM
A player with questions? The Chiefs are the kinda team that would follow the pack and pass on him...it's been the nature of our organization.

Cochise
01-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Maybe the only player we should forgo our LT for if he's there

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
If Miami doesnt pick him he might slip down to us. Him, Allen, and Hali would make a sick DL for us.

Sure-Oz
01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Who would Miami draft if not Dorsey?

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Who would Miami draft if not Dorsey?

Jake Long

Sure-Oz
01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
whats your analysis of how he played last night?

With the raiders ahead of us, in desperate need of DT help, I dont think we have a shot at him.
That means they'd pass on Mcfadden.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
whats your analysis of how he played last night?

With the raiders ahead of us, in desperate need of DT help, I dont think we have a shot at him.

I thought he did a good job controling his gap assignments, and forcing double teams.

om a sidenote expect Calais Campbell out of Miami could pull off a "Mario Williams" because of his raw ability and workout numbers so it's not unlikely for someone like Dorsey to slip

Thig Lyfe
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
A player with questions? The Chiefs are the kinda team that would follow the pack and pass on him...it's been the nature of our organization.

Not always. They did pick DJ.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2008, 04:32 PM
So do you think Dorsey slips passed Raiders? I dont see it happening.

Al Davis loves flashy athletes like McFadden, perfect example is Bo Jackson when they still had Marcus Allen in his prime

Mecca
01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Gholston can get the attention of 3-4 teams but a guy like Campbell will get the 4-3 teams attention...he's a 280lb guy with ridiculous talent he's gonna shoot up when workouts come.

blueballs
05-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Posted on Sat, May. 17, 2008 10:15

No. 1 pick Dorsey leaving home for his new life with Chiefs
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

BATON ROUGE, La. | Glenn Dorsey presses his forehead on the driver’s-side window, looking behind him and trying not to smile.

An elderly woman has pulled her Jaguar to the left of Dorsey’s giant white Hummer. It has 30-inch rims and a sound system that pumps Young Jeezy loud enough they might hear the bass in East Texas. The woman looks at the driver’s-side window of the Hummer. She can’t see Dorsey through the darker-than-the-legal-limit window tinting, so he stares — and waits for it.

“I like to look at the old ladies’ faces when they drive up,” Dorsey says, keeping the beat with his thumb on the steering wheel. “They never know what to think.”

Then it happens. The woman grimaces at the sound and sight of this four-wheeled monstrosity and shakes her head. Dorsey can’t take it any longer. He erupts in laughter and turns to his cousin, Shawn Nelson, who is riding shotgun and laughing, too.

Dorsey hits the gas, headed to the Mall of Louisiana. Being Glenn Dorsey is a young man’s game. Dorsey likes to sleep late, play video games and talk about three things: football, family and shoes. Yes, shoes are his weakness. He has bought about 75 pairs in the last three months; one day he brought home eight pairs of size-13 sneakers.

“Couldn’t do that a few months ago,” he says. “Couldn’t afford it.”

But things are different now. He was the Chiefs’ first pick in the NFL draft last month, the No. 5 overall choice and a man who carries with him enormous expectations. He’ll be a mega-millionaire in a few months, and his deal should guarantee he’ll never again worry about money.

He squeezes the Hummer into a parking space at the mall, the weight of its passengers and the oversized sound system grinding the frame against the turning tires. It’s a warm Monday in early May, and Dorsey is wearing a gray sweatshirt. Says he doesn’t mind the heat or the attention he knows is coming. He walks in, across the parking lot and through the automatic doors. Everywhere Dorsey takes a step, heads turn and eyes fix on him.

That’s Glenn Dorsey, says person after awestruck person. That’s the defensive tackle who led LSU to last year’s national championship and was an All-American the last two years.

“For a while,” he says, “you see a crowd and they’re staring at me. You’re like: What are they staring at? But then, you’re like: Oh, yeah, I forgot. I’m Glenn Dorsey.”

•••

Dorsey shops for three hours and climbs back in the Hummer. He’s heading home now. No, not the two-bedroom flat he and Nelson share in southern Baton Rouge. He’s going home.

The Hummer chugs along Louisiana Highway 30, with Dorsey eyeing other drivers and honking at folks he knows. It costs him $110 each time he fills the Hummer’s gas tank, and he fills it often because he goes back to Gonzales, La., most days.

He is driving there now, heading to the town known as the Jambalaya Capital of the World. It’s a small town with big character, about 25 miles south of Baton Rouge. It’s a place Dorsey is proud of.

“Any time you talk to me,” he says, “I’ll be in Gonzales. Any opportunity I get, I’m down there, me and my cousins, me and my family. That’s what made me tick.”

It was here that Dorsey was given his first pair of expensive shoes. He was 2 years old when his big toes touched. He was born with a case of severely bowed legs, and he couldn’t make it more than a few steps outside his front door in Gonzales without tripping. A doctor prescribed leg braces and a pair of corrective boots. The doctor said Dorsey would wear them two years.

Next page >

page #2

His mother agreed it wasn’t fair the other kids were outside and Glenn had to stay in. They sat and cried together sometimes.

Glenn’s legs straightened, and his parents removed the braces and boots when he was 4. Three years later, he was a football player in the Gonzales little leagues. He was bigger than the other players, and by the time he reached middle school, Glenn had outgrown the equipment. Coaches ordered adult-sized football pants to fit Glenn’s thick thighs, but they were baggy around his waist. His parents, Sandra and Glenn Sr., wrapped duct tape around their son’s waist so that the pants wouldn’t sag.

After each game, he reported to his grandmother Pearl Nabor about how he played. Glenn hopped on Momo’s knee and told her about the game and the touchdowns he scored and the tackles he made. Pearl smiled and talked about how much she loved touchdowns. She gave her grandson $5 for each one he scored.

Pearl was the one who seemed to notice Glenn’s talent early. She watched football games and pointed to the television, telling Glenn he would be there someday, playing for the Saints or the Cowboys or whichever team was lucky enough to draft him.

“His grandma really thought he could play professional football,” Nelson says. “That was her boy, right there. All she wanted to do was see him play in the NFL.”

Dorsey is talking about his childhood when he stops at a roadside stand called the Jambalaya Shoppe. It’s his favorite of more than a dozen jambalaya spots in Gonzales. He orders a Styrofoam box full of the stuff, spicy rice packed with chunks of chicken and pork sausage. Each order comes with a side of white beans and potato salad. Dorsey is looking at a framed newspaper article that leans against a window — “Dorsey raised on jambalaya,” the headline reads — when someone drops a credit card on the counter. A second later, the clerk slides it back.

“Not here,” she says, waving her hand. “Not if it’s for him.”

Dorsey is still getting used to this fame thing. He sits at a wooden picnic table outside the stand, eating and talking about how he knows he has to learn to say no. But he’s not ready yet. He signs autographs outside the stand, signing the newspaper article in black ink and smiling in pictures with several employees.

“It’s like this everywhere,” Nelson says, standing away from the chaos. “It never stops.”

A few minutes later, Dorsey has a moment to himself. But that doesn’t mean he’s alone. He’s sitting at the picnic table, digging forkfuls of rice into his mouth. The clerks are watching him, and two men leave the ordering line to get a closer look at Dorsey.

He seems oblivious to the attention. Maybe it’s because he’s used to it. Maybe, though, it’s because he likes it.

“This is like a dream, man,” he says, one cheek full of jambalaya. “It’s like it’s not even real. Where I come from, I didn’t get to meet anybody from the NFL. I know how I would’ve felt if I had that opportunity. But we didn’t have that.”

Dorsey empties the Styrofoam box in record time. He sits for a moment and announces that he’s still hungry.

“We’ve got to get some crawfish,” he says. “Good place for it up the road.”

•••

He shifts the Hummer into park and climbs out at a gas station with a restaurant attached to it. It’s a dingy, old building with a cauldron out back surrounded by a chain-link fence. A man is pulling crawfish from the steaming water, and Dorsey catches a whiff of the briny smell.

Join the discussion

Share your observations and experiences about news. Lively, open debate is the goal, but please refrain from personal attacks or comments that are racist, vulgar or otherwise inappropriate. If you see an inappropriate comment, please click the "Report as violation" link to notify a KansasCity.com editor. Thanks for your feedback.

Recent Comments

I am not worried about Dorsey, YET! He's young, and everybody...
Did any of this kids family that did such a great job in that small...
Hey Gump. I was getting annoyed with Herm's the man too, until I...
Hey, "herm's the man", please try out some new material. Your act's...
The Chiefs sure drafted a player with a great character and who has...
»Read More
Post Your Comment

Name:

Smed1065
05-17-2008, 11:03 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/624751.html

Long article! The whole article is here.

blueballs
05-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Gonzales

Pablo
05-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow...the reader comments at the bottom of the article are pretty nice.

A bunch of old, bitter racists slamming Dorsey because he plays rap music and buys a lot of shoes.

blueballs
05-18-2008, 10:10 AM
not seean article from Kent babb before
must have replaced crazy haired woman

blueballs
05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Dorsey has potential to excel in Kansas City
By Jeffri Chadiha
ESPN.com

Updated: May 23, 2008

Glenn Dorsey's Impact on ChiefsKANSAS CITY -- Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards told rookie defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey one key thing when Dorsey started his NFL career last month: Ignore the comparisons. Yes, Dorsey has the potential to be as dynamic as Warren Sapp, who recently retired from Oakland as one of the most productive defensive tackles in league history. Dorsey also was a high first-round pick, just like Sapp was back in 1995. But as Edwards said, "I told him, 'You're not Warren Sapp. So just go out there and be yourself.'"

It was the kind of advice Dorsey needed to hear, and he'd be the first to admit that. Though he didn't end up becoming the first pick in this year's draft -- the Chiefs selected him fifth overall after several draft analysts labeled Dorsey the best prospect in this year's class --- he still might have as much impact as anybody taken before him. That's because Dorsey didn't just fall to a Kansas City team that never imagined he'd be available so late in the process, he also plopped right into the best possible defense for a man of his vast ability.

But the comparisons to Sapp are likely to keep coming.

After trading Jared Allen to the Vikings, the Chiefs were able to land one of the best defensive players in the draft in Glenn Dorsey.
The Chiefs play the same cover-2 scheme that turned Sapp into a big-time star for Tampa Bay in the late 1990s. In a system that requires a ton of talent up the middle - particularly at linebacker and safety - the foundation is unquestionably the "3-technique" defensive tackle. The player who occupies that role has to excel at pass-rushing, blowing up blocking schemes and wreaking havoc. Edwards was an assistant coach with the Bucs when Sapp arrived, so he knows the value of adding a player who can be so disruptive.

As for Dorsey, he's watched players like Sapp and Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris throughout his football career. He smiles every time he thinks about the possibilities of playing a similar role in Kansas City. "I can't wait to play in it," said Dorsey after the Chiefs finished their first week of organized team activities Thursday. "I don't have to hold up double-teams anymore. I can use my athleticism to get after the quarterback and make tackles in the backfield. I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but I'll have a good time [with the role]."

The other good news for Dorsey is that he won't have to make much of a transition to his new job. Though he primarily was asked to occupy blockers during his past two years at LSU, he did start his college career as a player whose main task was to penetrate and make plays in the backfield. The Tigers also changed their defense so much last season that Dorsey still had a chance to do more than just read and react to offenses. Remember, he finished with seven sacks last season, which is a respectable number for an interior lineman.

Edwards said it's hard to find defensive tackles who offer that kind of versatility and are capable of succeeding in the 3-technique role. Most college programs either turn out mammoth run-stuffers or undersized interior pass-rushers these days. It's rare to come across a player with Dorsey's combination of size (6-2, 316-pounds) and agility, and Edwards claims the rookie already has impressive power and a strong knowledge of blocking schemes.

Dorsey has so much potential that Edwards already can see the dilemmas that opponents will face. "When you get a guy like that lined up over the guard, it forces offenses to make big decisions," Edwards said. "If you double-team him, your ends are going to be really happy. If you block him one-on-one, he has the ability to get deep enough penetration that the quarterback can't step up and throw. With him and [defensive end] Tamba Hali playing on the same side, we can do a lot of things."

Dorsey has drawn comparisons to the recently retired Warren Sapp, who finished his career with 96.5 sacks.

Though the Chiefs have struggled with highly drafted interior linemen recently -- a group that includes Ryan Sims, a 2002 first-round pick, and second-round picks Eddie Freeman and Junior Siavii -- there is no indication that Dorsey will be overwhelmed by expectations. He said Kansas City reminds him of Baton Rouge, La., because it's an extremely laid-back community. Dorsey also isn't carrying any chips on his shoulder after four other teams passed him over in the draft. "I never expected to be a first-round pick when I was growing up," Dorsey says. "Those things don't happen where I'm from [Gonzales, La.], so this whole process has been fun for me.

"The only negative was the talk about my injury."

That would be all the pre-draft discussion about the lingering effects of two injuries (a stress fracture in his right tibia and a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee) that weren't even damaging enough to sideline Dorsey over his past two years at LSU. But since he didn't compete at the Senior Bowl or the NFL's scouting combine, some people speculated that he had enough red flags to keep teams like Miami, St. Louis, Atlanta and Oakland from selecting him higher. The Chiefs, however, weren't scared off by the talk. They were comfortable with Dorsey's health after their doctors examined him, and now he might anchor their defense for the next decade.

What the Chiefs understood on draft day was that Dorsey was the top player on their board and he had just fallen into their laps. The next step for Dorsey is to learn as much as possible during the offseason so he can blossom quickly in the NFL. He's already been impressed by the speed of the game -- Chiefs guard Brian Waters apparently taught Dorsey a few lessons on the size and strength of professional interior linemen during Thursday's practice -- but Dorsey said he'll adjust quickly.

After all, he already can see that there are many things for him to like about his new situation.

Jeffri Chadiha covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

blueballs
05-23-2008, 03:18 PM
NFL Live looks at Dorsey VIDEO
Pub 5/21/08

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3407151&categoryId=2459789

the Talking Can
05-23-2008, 03:28 PM
He's already been impressed by the speed of the game -- Chiefs guard Brian Waters apparently taught Dorsey a few lessons on the size and strength of professional interior linemen during Thursday's practice -- but Dorsey said he'll adjust quickly.

huh....the exact opposite of the other OTA report.....

Tribal Warfare
05-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about KC's chances next year in terms of progress

Count Zarth
05-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about KC's chances next year in terms of progress

And who are you?

Smed1065
05-23-2008, 03:33 PM
huh....the exact opposite of the other OTA report.....

Might be the sources.......

Tribal Warfare
05-23-2008, 03:40 PM
And who are you?

I don't know man, I drank this wonder tonic and I foresaw marshmallows dancing and the KC Chiefs winning a few games in a hallucinogenic state.

blueballs
05-23-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't know man, I drank this wonder tonic and I fore saw marshmallows dancing and the KC Chiefs winning a few games in a hallucinogenic state.

they don't like to be called that

blueballs
05-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Derrick Johnson KMBC-TV
"Having Glenn Dorsey in front of me?"
"I'm happier than a pig in --- you know what"