PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever look at (judge) Someone else's groceries at the register?

TinyEvel
01-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I can't help it. I like to play "grocery store profiler." It's kind of like I'm on CSI, but with packaged goods, and the person is still alive (though sometimes, barely).

I like to look at the person's groceries and try to figure out what kind of life they lead based on what they've bought.

C'MON, PEOPLE!!! YOU KNOW YOU DO IT TOO!!!!!!

My favorites:

"Cat food and frozen diet meal" lady. :shake:

And yesterday there was "three twelve-packs of Natural Light and a roll of paper towels" guy

But none of us are immune. I, myself, remember the night I was looked upon by scorn-filled eyes when my conveyor belt parade consisted of: Cat food, tampons, Baby formula, 22-oz Bud Ice (the first three necessitated the last one)

FUN!!

Mr. Flopnuts
01-08-2008, 10:51 PM
How about a 400lb guy with a cart full of fruits and vegetables?

BucEyedPea
01-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Actually I do. I'm amazed at how much junk food aka processed and packaged food Americans eat. Very little fresh produce in comparison to that junk. Thank gawd! I do half my shopping at the organic market.

thurman merman
01-08-2008, 10:54 PM
i have noticed that obese people purchase lots of doritos.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Absolutely, what the hell else are you supposed to do while waiting in the checkout line? Then again, about the only time I go to the grocery store is to get beer, and I go thru the express lane so I only get a snapshot of their lives. I'll bet the really good stuff goes down in the normal checkout lanes.

pikesome
01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
I do it. At my house I'm Mr. Mom so I'm buying for a family of 4, trying to keep a lid on my expenses. I chuckle on the inside when the guy behind me and my cart full of groceries has a single soda, a container from the salad bar, a couple of microwavable somethings and bottle of body soap. All single guys seem to have a bottle of shower gel or something like it.

I do wonder what the cashier thinks of me sometimes, it's not unusual for me to buy groceries in a Tshirt and sweat pants. I'm 99% sure my cart and my appearance are incongruous.

jjchieffan
01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
The ones that bother me are the ones buying their food with food stamps and buying booze, lottery tickets and cigs. Great! Our tax dollars are buying your groceries so you have more money for that BS!!

Virtua Chief
01-08-2008, 11:06 PM
If the person has a bunch of ground beef and steaks, could you be classified as a "meat-peeker"?

MadMax
01-08-2008, 11:14 PM
The ones that bother me are the ones buying their food with food stamps and buying booze, lottery tickets and cigs. Great! Our tax dollars are buying your groceries so you have more money for that BS!!

If stores let them do that they are breaking the law. :cuss:

jjchieffan
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I dont mean that they are buying that stuff with food stamps. What I meant was that after paying for their groceries, they use cash for that stuff. If they have cash to buy that, then they should be using it for their groceries.

pikesome
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
If stores let them do that they are breaking the law. :cuss:

The ones I see always game the system. It's milk, juice and bread with FS and beer and cigarettes with cash.

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I chuckle on the inside when the guy behind me and my cart full of groceries has a single soda, a container from the salad bar, a couple of microwavable somethings and bottle of body soap. All single guys seem to have a bottle of shower gel or something like it.

Add toothpaste and dedoriantor and you got me at the store most of the time.

MadMax
01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I dont mean that they are buying that stuff with food stamps. What I meant was that after paying for their groceries, they use cash for that stuff. If they have cash to buy that, then they should be using it for their groceries.

I hear that... Yea if ya can't afford the bad habits the tax payers shouldn't have to pay for it.. I agree 100%

Bump
01-08-2008, 11:28 PM
ya I do that just about every time I'm in line. The worst one was at Target once, this really heavy girl, probably in her late 20's had several bra's and panties in her cart. And I noticed a lot of granola bars too

Delano
01-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Add toothpaste and dedoriantor and you got me at the store most of the time.

Heh.

The only place I look at other people's purchases is the booze shop. I live in a college town so it's usually 30 packs of Keystone Light.

Guru
01-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I love seeing 3 bags of Dorito's and a diet soda.

Demonpenz
01-08-2008, 11:56 PM
last week i got condoms segrums 7 and 7up at like 1 pm the girl at the register gave me a strange look i was looked at her and just said I plan having sex. she laughed

pikesome
01-08-2008, 11:59 PM
last week i got condoms segrums 7 and 7up at like 1 pm the girl at the register gave me a strange look i was looked at her and just said I plan having sex. she laughed

My mother used to say "if you're unwilling to say it maybe you shouldn't be doing it". :)

CoMoChief
01-09-2008, 12:13 AM
WTF kinda question is this? You got some problems.

Bump
01-09-2008, 12:16 AM
I got laughed at by the clerk for buying a 6 pack of Zima's a long time ago. I woulda laughed too though...and yes I was buying them for a girl

Pablo
01-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Last night I went through the checkout with a jug of 50/50 antifreeze, a 3-pack of bar soap, and a birthday card for my girlfiend.

It was a pretty interesting assortment.

DaneMcCloud
01-09-2008, 12:52 AM
WTF kinda question is this? You got some problems.

How is this any different from one of Rainman's polls?

Feeling guilty? :hmmm:

crazycoffey
01-09-2008, 01:43 AM
ha! Bud Ice;

Iced cooled until Ice crystals form then cold filterd, our uniqe process produces a rich smooth draft tast that's remarkably easy to drink.

what ever happened to that.......

BWillie
01-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Last night I went through the checkout with a jug of 50/50 antifreeze, a 3-pack of bar soap, and a birthday card for my girlfiend.

It was a pretty interesting assortment.

I've always wanted to go through the line with a machete, handgun, shovel, rope, gloves, a bag of lime, some condoms, and a big canvas bag just to see the look on their face. I should have someone film it, the look on the cashier's face would be priceless.

Then just take it all back when I'm done. That would make a good you tube video.

BWillie
01-09-2008, 02:05 AM
ha! Bud Ice;

Iced cooled until Ice crystals form then cold filterd, our uniqe process produces a rich smooth draft tast that's remarkably easy to drink.

what ever happened to that.......

Bud Ice is horrible. You gotta move up to the nectar of the gods in Keystone Ice. You can get a dirty thirty for eleven dollars. Each beer is like 2.5 alcohol content of light beer. It's difficult to find, sometimes you have to import it from a gas station in the boonies. You gotta be careful with that shit though, it'll have you f*cking fat bitches in no time.

Simplex3
01-09-2008, 05:02 AM
I love seeing 3 bags of Dorito's and a diet soda.
In HS I worked in one of those frozen yogurt shops and there was a Weight Watchers just down the strip mall. These fat bitches would come in after spending the day starving themselves for their weigh in and order something like this:

"I'll take a large chocolate in a waffle cone, with hot fudge, caramel, chocolate chips, marshmallows, uhm, and a diet Coke."

WTF? How about a water? Maybe drop 3 of the 4 toppings? Get a small in a cup, perhaps?

HonestChieffan
01-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Huge butted Fat people getting 64 ounce diet sodas and a trucker sized snicker at the Caseys. Makes you proud.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-09-2008, 06:25 AM
When I worked at a grocery store, I swear on all that is good and holy, a fairly lonely looking woman purchase hand lotion and a rather large cucumber.

Maybe she had cracked feet and wanted a cucumber salad... but that's not what I thought.

Bill Parcells
01-09-2008, 06:30 AM
No, but one time I was standing in line with the gf when a huge bubble of foul septic gas was released from my hind quarter very quietly. it was an awful hot steamy but very quiet burst that was going to be foul. so I told the gf ''I'll be right back, I forgot something''.

I thought she was going to kill me upon my return. she was getting dirty looks like she stunk like shit from the other people at the counter. and she gave me a demonic look upon my return.

ROFL

Stewie
01-09-2008, 06:32 AM
I've always wanted to go through the line with a machete, handgun, shovel, rope, gloves, a bag of lime, some condoms, and a big canvas bag just to see the look on their face. I should have someone film it, the look on the cashier's face would be priceless.

Then just take it all back when I'm done. That would make a good you tube video.

...and ask the cashier for directions to the river.

patteeu
01-09-2008, 06:52 AM
I bought my wife a wine rack a couple of years ago and then went to the store with my then-8-year-old daughter where I loaded up the shopping cart with about 20 bottles of wine and a couple of other things we needed. My daughter didn't want to stand next to me in line because she was embarrassed that I looked like an alcoholic.

TEX
01-09-2008, 06:55 AM
No - but I get pissed when some A-hole checks out in the "Express Lane" with a whole basket of stuff! I used to look the other way when that happens, but not anymore. Most of those folks know what they're doing so I have no problem telling them how much they $UCK!

HonestChieffan
01-09-2008, 06:57 AM
I bought my wife a wine rack a couple of years ago and then went to the store with my then-8-year-old daughter where I loaded up the shopping cart with about 20 bottles of wine and a couple of other things we needed. My daughter didn't want to stand next to me in line because she was embarrassed that I looked like an alcoholic.

Get wine in round bottles next time. Those flat Pints and quarts do attract a lot of attention. And dont ask for a bag for each bottle.

seclark
01-09-2008, 06:58 AM
i like to toss various items in other peoples carts when they're left alone.
sec

HemiEd
01-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Reminds of that story about the drunk standing behind this gal in the check out line. He is looking down at her stuff, then commented "you must be single." She said, how did you know that?
He said "cause you are uglier than shit."

HonestChieffan
01-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Better to take stuff out. When they realize at home they forget the critical stuff madness happens.

On thinking about it, doing both would be fine. The stuff they need they dont have and they get a bonus bottle of anti spot additive for the dishwasher.

kc rush
01-09-2008, 07:17 AM

I used to work in grocery when in college and that stuff would drive me nuts. People would come through the line a few times buying little things, get the change then come back and buy cigs with nickles and dimes.

I'd also get pissed when I saw people come in driving a nicer car than me, wearing better clothes than me, but pay for their food with food stamps. I'd bust my hump just to get by and these people are taking advantage of the system.

Skip Towne
01-09-2008, 07:19 AM
sec
So you're the rat bastard doing that!

seclark
01-09-2008, 07:24 AM
So you're the rat bastard doing that!
what did you do w/that box of maxi-pads?
sec

Pennywise
01-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Bud Ice is horrible. You gotta move up to the nectar of the gods in Keystone Ice. You can get a dirty thirty for eleven dollars. Each beer is like 2.5 alcohol content of light beer. It's difficult to find, sometimes you have to import it from a gas station in the boonies. You gotta be careful with that shit though, it'll have you f*cking fat bitches in no time.

Straight up can of alchol with some foam on top.

MTG#10
01-09-2008, 10:09 AM
What pisses me off more than anything is to get behind some white trash chick paying for all of her groceries with WIC (its like food stamps for people who are pregnant or just had a baby). It takes forever and theres only certain brands they can get. Of course when Im behind them, they always bring a bunch of shit that they cant get, then I have to wait for them to run back and get the right brand. If you cant afford to feed yourself or your child, you should keep your ****ing legs closed or at least use a rubber. :cuss:

Mr. Laz
01-09-2008, 10:24 AM
i'm a midwesterner ...... it's considered impolite to "snoop" at other people's grocery purchases.

:shrug:

ChiefButthurt
01-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I remember the time I had to buy JUST Pepto Bismo and Lysol air spray. A little uncomfortable at the checkout.

jidar
01-09-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't snoop and I don't judge. I also don't post in these superiority threads other than to place myself on a pedestal above the rest of you who are.

Jilly
01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I was at the grocery store Monday and the lady behind me was doing it to me. I just wanted to say - Monday I'm making Hawaiin Chicken, Tuesday I'm making my famous salad I can write the recipe down if you'd like and Wednesday I'm making chili, the Lean cuisines are for my lunch and this other noodle thing seemed like something my husband would like for lunch, so I'm just trying it out....etc, etc. etc.... Nosey old woman.

siberian khatru
01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Here's another scenario: You're with the wife in Target or Victoria's Secret or a department store, she's shopping for lingerie or other nice pieces of clothing, and you watch what other women are looking at -- and you imagine them wearing it.

bkkcoh
01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I remember the time I had to buy JUST Pepto Bismo and Lysol air spray. A little uncomfortable at the checkout.

Only thing worse is to have to include tampons or feminine pads....... :banghead:

Jilly
01-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Here's another scenario: You're with the wife in Target or Victoria's Secret or a department store, she's shopping for lingerie or other nice pieces of clothing, and you watch what other women are looking at -- and you imagine them wearing it.

"and I found myself wondering what color her underpants might be. Her panties. Uh, odds are they are probably basic white, cotton, underpants.
But I sort of think well maybe they're silk panties, maybe it's a thong. Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about. You know, and uh, and I started feeling... what? what I thought we were in the trust tree in the nest, were we not?"

pikesome
01-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't snoop and I don't judge. I also don't post in these superiority threads other than to place myself on a pedestal above the rest of you who are.

Rep. :holdman: :)

KCChiefsFan88
01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
The only time I pay attention to others in line to pay at the grocery store is when someone is doing one of the following:

1) Bringing more than 10 items in the Express line
2) Writing a check (and taking 10 years to do so)
3) Trying to pay with 8,000 coupons
4) Haggling over a few cents regarding the price of an item
5) Going back to get additional items
6) Not being able to figure out the credit card swiper

These type of people should be banned from grocery stores and forced to watch a tape of every play from the Chiefs 2007 offense as their punishment.

Jilly
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
The only time I pay attention to others in line to pay at the grocery store is when someone is doing one of the following:

These type of people should be banned from grocery stores and forced to watch a tape of every play from the Chiefs 2007 offense as their punishment.

seriously, just the other day (I go to the stupid store a lot) I was there and this woman in front of me in the express line had way more than 10 items...here's the deal, I only had ONE item. She and her 5 kids (honestly, doesn't she know what causes that?) were all over the place, plus, she waited until AFTER her crap was rung up before she even attempted to get out her debit card and then it didn't work. Grrrrr.....
:mad:

penguinz
01-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Trying to save $ is just so wrong.
:rolleyes:

KCChiefsFan88
01-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Trying to save $ is just so wrong.
:rolleyes:

When your grand total saved is like $1.10 or if you buying something really cheap is it really worth having the cashier spend an hour going through 800 coupons and holding up the line?

Baby Lee
01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
The last time I paid any attention, was some dude who looked half in the can, wearing pajama pants, a wife beater, flip-flops, and a Santa hat, paying for his 'self-serve' purchases. Dude must've put 50 pennies in one at a time, pausing 2-3 seconds between each penny. Like a scene from Koyaanisqatsi.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-09-2008, 11:26 AM
When your grand total saved is like $1.10 or if you buying something really cheap is it really worth having the cashier spend an hour going through 800 coupons and holding up the line?
It adds up... I don't blame them. I rarely do it (I forget mostly), but there's no doubt that saving a little extra every time you buy something adds up.

Nightfyre
01-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I like estimating dollar amount on their purchases. I'll sit there, take a glance and estimate. I get within $10 80% of the time. Hidden electronics do me in the other 20%.

epitome1170
01-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Amen to that!

For one, who even writes checks anymore? And if/when you do, why do you wait until the total is announced to look for your check book or even begin filling it out? Don't waste my time because you are too ignorant to fill in all of the information except the amount first.

Secondly, don't go to the self-serve checkouts if you are too stupid to figure the thing out. I hate getting behind people that scan an item and wait five minutes before they scan the next one. Then they pay with these torn one dollar bills to top it all off.

underEJ
01-09-2008, 11:48 AM

I had to clean up an unpleasant bog from my storage area after some heavy rains one year, and when I went to the hardware store get contractors trash bags, a saw, a shovel, big rubber gloves, and assorted cleaning and air freshening products, I really didn't think twice about how it looked until the cashier laughed and said, "I think you forgot the duct tape and rope."

Frosty
01-09-2008, 12:22 PM
For one, who even writes checks anymore? And if/when you do, why do you wait until the total is announced to look for your check book or even begin filling it out?

It's almost always because of one of two reasons:

1. They are watching the price of every single item as it rings up, in case it's wrong (in the store's favor).

2. They are too busy chatting with the checker.

Hog Farmer
01-09-2008, 12:34 PM
No, but one time I was standing in line with the gf when a huge bubble of foul septic gas was released from my hind quarter very quietly. it was an awful hot steamy but very quiet burst that was going to be foul. so I told the gf ''I'll be right back, I forgot something''.

I thought she was going to kill me upon my return. she was getting dirty looks like she stunk like shit from the other people at the counter. and she gave me a demonic look upon my return

ROFL

I know those looks!

Wile_E_Coyote
01-09-2008, 12:39 PM
No, I don't care to check out other people's items. But I do get a kick out the stuff thrown on top of the impulse items. Cat food thrown on top the twix bars.

And the people in the self check out, who take things out of their carts and put on the conveyor belt, then scan them. Maybe I'm just lazy but I scan them out of the cart, then bag them. To hell with loading the conveyor belt

MahiMike
01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Yea, just like the buffet line. All the skinny people are eating salad and the fat people are eating meatloaf and mashed potatoes. There's no secret.

bkkcoh
01-09-2008, 01:13 PM

I thought she was going to kill me upon my return. she was getting dirty looks like she stunk like shit from the other people at the counter. and she gave me a demonic look upon my return.

ROFL

I have never, ever, ever gotten 1 of those looks like that. :)

I am more likely to get blamed if someone else has actually committed the offense.... :banghead:

crazycoffey
01-09-2008, 01:24 PM

ROFL

That's not funny, my ex wife used to do the same thing to me....

:p

HemiEd
01-09-2008, 01:25 PM
No, I don't care to check out other people's items. But I do get a kick out the stuff thrown on top of the impulse items. Cat food thrown on top the twix bars.

And the people in the self check out, who take things out of their carts and put on the conveyor belt, then scan them. Maybe I'm just lazy but I scan them out of the cart, then bag them. To hell with loading the conveyor belt

You made me think about a trip to the store recently.
This rather plump young lady, had a whole cart full of healthy stuff. I could not help but notice. I mean it was impressive, all salad making stuff, high fiber cereals, veggies etc.

Then, she broke out the pile of candy bars, lots of them. Her body language even changed when the cashier was ringing them up. LMAO

She must hide those from her husband, then claim ignorance on why she is getting so fat.

crazycoffey
01-09-2008, 01:30 PM
She must hide those from her husband, then claim ignorance on why she is getting so fat.

So you actually got to see mmememe? You should have donkey punched her while you had the chance....

:banghead:

Pestilence
01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
sec
It's nice to see I'm not the only one. The look on people's faces when they go to check out and suddenly a box of condoms has made its way into their basket is priceless. ROFL

Dartgod
01-09-2008, 01:55 PM
It's almost always because of one of three reasons:

1. They are watching the price of every single item as it rings up, in case it's wrong (in the store's favor).

2. They are too busy chatting with the checker.

3. They are friggen' morons.
Fixed it...

MahiMike
01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Yea, just like the buffet line. All the skinny people are eating salad and the fat people are eating meatloaf and mashed potatoes. There's no secret.

stonedstooge
01-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I've noticed that the people that are real hard up do their grocery shopping at the Dollar General. Voice of experience. You got to kind of dress down when you go in to fit in. But if a person grabs a cart in Dollar General you know times are tough.

HemiEd
01-09-2008, 02:53 PM
So you actually got to see mmememe? You should have donkey punched her while you had the chance....

:banghead:

nah, no punching of the ladytypes for me. But it was humerous, I had a smile on for quite a while after that. FREE entertainment!

tomahawk kid
01-09-2008, 03:08 PM

The check thing drives me up a wall.

Is it just me or does no one over the age of 30 have a freaking debit card in the Northland?

Check writing MFers.

tomahawk kid
01-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Amen to that!

For one, who even writes checks anymore? And if/when you do, why do you wait until the total is announced to look for your check book or even begin filling it out? Don't waste my time because you are too ignorant to fill in all of the information except the amount first.

Secondly, don't go to the self-serve checkouts if you are too stupid to figure the thing out. I hate getting behind people that scan an item and wait five minutes before they scan the next one. Then they pay with these torn one dollar bills to top it all off.

The last time I was in Home Depot, this woman literally flipped out because she didn't want to put everything "in the same damn bag".

I laughed out load. Couldn't help it.

sedated
01-09-2008, 03:38 PM

whenever I go to get condoms, there's always some pack of kids in front of me, and some old lady behind me in line.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Huge butted Fat people getting 64 ounce diet sodas and a trucker sized snicker at the Caseys. Makes you proud.

Is there anybody you don't hate?

Mr. Flopnuts
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Nice.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM

I agree with you on everything except the coupons. I like my money, and any chance I get to keep some extra, I'm gonna do it, as long as it's worth my time.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-09-2008, 04:17 PM

LMAO Repost, like an hour after you posted it the first time.

milkman
01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I never pay any attention to what other people buy, cause quite frankly, I don't care.

Just stay the **** out of my way when I'm in the grocery store.