PDA

View Full Version : Falcons after Pete Carroll as HC?

doomy3
01-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Guess they didn't learn their lesson with Petrino?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2123

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports the Falcons are pursuing USC coach Pete Carroll regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Would they try the college ranks again? Carroll, 56, is coming off a disappointing season with the Trojans, but also has arguably the best job in college football and resisted more favorable NFL positions last offseason. He'd likely want complete control, something owner Arthur Blank's decision to retain president Rich McKay indicates isn't available. It also might take a $10 million per year offer to get Carroll to bite.
Source: ESPN.com

pikesome
01-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Seems like a bad job for Carroll. The Falcons will suck for a few years at least. It wouldn't seem to be the best spot to re-enter the NFL no matter how great a coach Carroll is.

jjchieffan
01-09-2008, 12:19 AM
I thought Parcells went to Miami?

pr_capone
01-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I thought Parcells went to Miami?

you are right.....

/drinking so I apologize if this makes no sense

lol... guess I am glad I posted that.

I'll edit the first one out.. thanks!

SPchief
01-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Not gonna happen

jjchieffan
01-09-2008, 12:24 AM
you are right.....

/drinking so I apologize if this makes no sense

lol... guess I am glad I posted that.

I'll edit the first one out.. thanks!

LOL.... Just don't drive tonight.

TinyEvel
01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Maybe the Falcons would want Herm...

ChiefsCountry
01-09-2008, 12:26 AM
But Mecca said he would never leave.

pr_capone
01-09-2008, 12:34 AM
LOL.... Just don't drive tonight.

In for the night. No worries. :D

DaneMcCloud
01-09-2008, 12:36 AM

He would be foolish to leave Los Angeles, especially for Atlanta. He's the king of the football world here and it's very unlikely that Rick Neuheisel will strip him of that crown.

He's got it good and he knows it. If Carroll wouldn't leave for San Diego earlier this year, I seriously doubt he leaves for Atlanta.

88TG88
01-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Would they try the college ranks again? Carroll, 56, is coming off a disappointing season with the Trojans,
You know life is good when a 10-2 season and a Rose Bowl win is "dissapointing".

Baconeater
01-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Not gonna happen
What he said.

SoCalBronco
01-09-2008, 01:12 AM
That would be great...hopefully its delayed until late January so that the recruiting class they're bringing in will be destroyed with no time to salvage it.

Mecca
01-09-2008, 01:30 AM
If he didn't leave for SF or SD there's no way he's leaving for Atlanta, this shit is reported every year, he didn't leave for Cali jobs, he isn't leaving for that one....I also enjoy someone hating on our current 14 commit class which is still ranked top 10 with 14 guys.

SBK
01-09-2008, 02:02 AM
If he won't leave for Sandy Eggo, no way he heads to the trainwreck in Atlanta.

pikesome
01-09-2008, 02:08 AM
If he won't leave for Sandy Eggo, no way he heads to the trainwreck in Atlanta.

Enough $$$$ would do it for 99% of coaches. Having typed that, he'd be stupid to go anywhere. It ain't going to get better than where he's at now even if the program slides (and I don't see why it should). Stay at USC, oversee some more good or even great years and retire to bask in the glow from his accomplishments.

blueballs
01-09-2008, 02:13 AM
He hopes to escape his internet stalker
by taking the Flacon job

cadmonkey
01-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Not a chance in hell Carroll goes from LA to Atlanta. Only place I could see him going would be Miami. Other that that expect Pete to be a Trojan some more.

DaKCMan AP
01-09-2008, 07:20 AM
The only reason for him to leave is ego. He has a top job with less pressure in a much better locale.

cadmonkey
01-09-2008, 07:34 AM
The only reason for him to leave is ego. He has a top job with less pressure in a much better locale.

No kidding, and just think of all the hot college tail that he gets to "converse" with at USC

Skip Towne
01-09-2008, 07:52 AM
How much $$$ does he make at USC?

DaKCMan AP
01-09-2008, 07:53 AM
How much $$$ does he make at USC?

From March 2006:

PETE CARROLL
School: USC.
Length: Through 2010 season.
Guaranteed salary: Estimated $2 million-3 million.
Details: USC is a private school not required to publicly release contracts.

Skip Towne
01-09-2008, 07:55 AM
From March 2006:

PETE CARROLL
School: USC.
Length: Through 2010 season.
Guaranteed salary: Estimated $2 million-3 million.
Details: USC is a private school not required to publicly release contracts.
USC is a private school? That is surprising.

alanm
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
You dangle enough dollars in front of the guys nose he'll bolt.

Sure-Oz
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
He'd be a DA to leave that cushy USC job, 3 mill not enough, sure $10 mill is nice but ATL will suck baows for quite sometime

Sure-Oz
01-09-2008, 02:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Sources: USC's Carroll interested in Falcons' opening

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

USC coach Pete Carroll is interested in the Atlanta Falcons' head coach opening and is expected to speak with Atlanta owner Arthur Blank via phone Wednesday, sources at the American Football Coaches Convention in Anaheim told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Pete Carroll has been rumored for many head coaching vacancies in the NFL in recent years.

Blank is expected to offer full control of personnel decisions to Carroll and the sources said that is what intrigues Carroll most. Carroll is currently on vacation in Hawaii.

The Falcons' interest in talking to Carroll about their opening was first reported Tuesday night by ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Carroll, who has previously been a head coach in the NFL with the New York Jets and New England Patriots, is the biggest name on the list of Atlanta candidates.

Carroll, 56, recently completed his seventh season at Southern California with a resounding victory over Illinois in the Rose Bowl. He has led the Trojans to two national championships and compiled a 76-14 record. The 14 defeats have been by an average of just 4.1 points.

Southern California was 11-2 this season and many observers felt that, had it not been for injuries, the Trojans might have vied for the national title. Carroll's .844 winning mark at Southern California is the best in the nation among active coaches with at least five seasons of experience.

Over the past few seasons, there has been rampant speculation that Carroll might be lured back to the NFL, but he has rebuffed all overtures to return to the pro game. Conventional wisdom is that Carroll would only consider an NFL job if he had full control over the football operation.

In his first NFL head coaching stint, Carroll lasted just one season with the Jets, taking the team to a 6-10 record in 1994. He coached the Patriots for three seasons, 1997-99, and was 28-23, with one division title and two playoff berths.

The Falcons suffered a bad experience this season with a coach hired from the college ranks, when Bobby Petrino, formerly of Louisville, resigned with three games remaining to fill the Arkansas vacancy. But unlike Petrino, who had been an NFL assistant for three seasons, Carroll has prior head coaching experience in the league and was an assistant coach and defensive coordinator for 12 years as well.

In the past, Carroll has listened to NFL interest from Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Arizona and Houston.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN. Information from ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli was used in this report.

Mecca
01-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Atlanta as an organization blows right now, it's a dead end job. They are also trying to handcuff people it's why no one is taking their GM job. They wanted Chris Polian to take an IQ test so he told them forget it, they are doing this with all their GM interviews, all the while telling them "we don't want to fire these coaches we want to keep these people here"

Then they wonder why they can't get anyone to take the job.

alanm
01-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Hate to say it but if the Falcons give Carroll full control and the dinero Pete go bye-bye.

Pushead2
01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
didn't he go 2-14 with the Jets??

Sure-Oz
01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
He went 10-6, 9-7 and 8-8 with the Pats, he was the Jets DC for awhile before that

DaKCMan AP
01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
didn't he go 2-14 with the Jets??

6-10

Pushead2
01-09-2008, 02:47 PM
6-10

that's right then he got shit canned.

Cochise
01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
If I were him I'd never leave that job. Making tons of money, the king of los angeles... I mean, who wouldn't want to be him?

Mecca
01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
He talks to a team every year...if he didn't take a Cali team or Miami, why the hell would he take Atlanta?

Zouk
01-09-2008, 03:58 PM
He talks to a team every year...if he didn't take a Cali team or Miami, why the hell would he take Atlanta?

A bigger contract plus ownership that will give him everything he wants -including a virtually unlimited budget for assistants. The Spanos family is cheap. Arthur Blank is not.

Quiet Storm
01-10-2008, 02:02 AM
loves the attention

DaKCMan AP
01-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Maybe this is why Pete is interested??

http://www.yardbarker.com/m/5745/xl/tarnished_heisman.jpg

due out Tuesday