PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Intertubes

ChiefaRoo
01-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Can anyone here explain to me how google gets and processes information? Example. When I google the author of one of Chiefs Planets finest some threads from several weeks or months come up early but others are completely left out. How does Google decide?

KC Jones
01-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I can explain it as well as anyone...

Google's page rank algorithm is a carefully guarded secret and constantly updated/modifed by Google to handle people's desire to have a higher result for certain search terms. In other words nobody can really tell you.

We know that Google uses spiders to crawl the web and send back data about nearly all web pages. We know they used to consider links very important in gaging a websites relevance to key words. All of this is processed by Google's map/reduce framework and stored on what is likely the world's largest distributed file system.

HolmeZz
01-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Spiderbotz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_spider

Bugeater
01-11-2008, 06:00 PM
The internet is not a truck.

ChiefaRoo
01-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I can explain it as well as anyone...

Google's page rank algorithm is a carefully guarded secret and constantly updated/modifed by Google to handle people's desire to have a higher result for certain search terms. In other words nobody can really tell you.

We know that Google uses spiders to crawl the web and send back data about nearly all web pages. We know they used to consider links very important in gaging a websites relevance to key words. All of this is processed by Google's map/reduce framework and stored on what is likely the world's largest distributed file system.

Really, I thought it worked like this. I mean, I usually type in "dumbshit" and I get a bunch of information about Skip and Peanut. By the way what is a Spider?
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y70vcs3oV14&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y70vcs3oV14&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

KC Jones
01-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Really, I thought it worked like this. I mean, I usually type in "dumbshit" and I get a bunch of information about Skip and Peanut. By the way what is a Spider?

Check the link above for your spider definition.

Essentially google processes web pages to associate scores for words and stores that info. Then when you enter "dumbshit" they retrieve the web pages they scored the highest for that word.

ChiefaRoo
01-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Check the link above for your spider definition.

Essentially google processes web pages to associate scores for words and stores that info. Then when you enter "dumbshit" they retrieve the web pages they scored the highest for that word.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any idea how many pages there are on the WWW and how many are being added each day?

FAX
01-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Last I heard it was 4300.

FAX