PDA

View Full Version : 20 Best Movie Plot Twists of all time....

Deberg_1990
01-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Good list. Makes me want to go watch a few of these flicks again..

http://www.premiere.com/features/4042/20-big-time-plot-twists.html

DJJasonp
01-11-2008, 09:59 PM
a great list.

Empire strikes back
Sixth sense
Usual Suspects

All great stuff.

I think Presumed Innocent should be on the list as well....for those that didnt read the book...came as quite a surprise.

TN_Chief
01-11-2008, 10:02 PM
The Usual Suspects. Memento was pretty good too.

POND_OF_RED
01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Good list. Saw should be on there too. Horrible acting but the plot twist made the movie.

elvomito
01-11-2008, 10:10 PM
i thought oldboy was really good. of course, i watched it with original audio track and subtitles. i imagine it would suck with english audio

Fire Me Boy!
01-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey!!! WTF happened to my thread permissions!!!

GODDAMN YOU BOB DOLE!

JBucc
01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey!!! WTF happened to my thread permissions!!!

GODDAMN YOU BOB DOLE!
Happy 10,000!

Fire Me Boy!
01-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Happy 10,000!
Yeah, my last 10 posts have been 10,000!

****ing Bob Dole!

ROFL ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
01-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Shit, 10,001 now... WTF.

Fire Me Boy!
01-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Ok, he just set me back to 9,999 when I came back on... when I left today it was at 10,004 or something.

Fire Me Boy!
01-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Would someone make a thread entitled "Tom Wilson... Biff from Back to the Future"? Please and thanks.

Sully
01-11-2008, 10:25 PM
What was Edward Norton's first big movie?
It had Richard Gere in it, and Norton played a guy with "multiple personalities."

Primal something or other... that had a pretty decent twist at the end.

Sully
01-11-2008, 10:26 PM
By the way... least enthralling or surprising ending...

"Nativity Story."

In case you haven't seen it... it's a boy.

Frazod
01-11-2008, 10:27 PM
It had Richard Gere in it, and Norton played a guy with "multiple personalities."

Primal Fear. Yes, I was just thinking about that one.

Also, From Dusk Til Dawn. I had no prior knowledge of the movie when I watched it - starts out as two criminals kidnapping a family in their RV, escaping to Mexico, they go into a local bar, and then suddenly EVERYBODY'S A GODDAMN VAMPIRE!!!!!!! That really took me by surprise. :D

L.A. Chieffan
01-11-2008, 10:28 PM
There are some that claim Kevin Spacey's character was not Soze either. A twist within a twist if you will

Deberg_1990
01-11-2008, 10:29 PM
The Soylent Green one really got me when i was a naive kid back in the day.

Frazod
01-11-2008, 10:30 PM
There are some that claim Kevin Spacey's character was not Soze either. A twist within a twist if you will

If he is Soze, then 80% of the movie is just a visualization on the lie he's telling the cop, and there's no way of knowing how much of it is true or not. The only "true" parts of the movie would be the scene at the dock in the beginning with the burnt up ship, the interview scenes, and the scenes in the hospital with the survivor.

L.A. Chieffan
01-11-2008, 10:32 PM
If he is Soze, then 80% of the movie is just a visualization on the lie he's telling the cop, and there's no way of knowing how much of it is true or not. The only "true" parts of the movie would be the scene at the dock in the beginning with the burnt up ship, the interview scenes, and the scenes in the hospital with the survivor.

Correct, but at the end Singer left it open to interpretation on who the REAL Soze was, Kint or Kobayashi. The general opinion is that it's Kint, but it cannot be supported 100 %

Frazod
01-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Correct, but at the end Singer left it open to interpretation on who the REAL Soze was, Kint or Kobayashi. The general opinion is that it's Kint, but it cannot be supported 100 %

Good point. I had never considered that.

DMAC
01-11-2008, 10:33 PM
I IMMEDIATELY thought of The Game when I read the thread topic.

So glad to see it on there.

Chest Rockwell
01-11-2008, 10:37 PM

...Fear...I think...It was a pretty good flick.

Also, not really a plot twist, but "Audition" has to be up there for 45-minutes-of-what-the-f*ck-is-this-boring-drivel, turned instant what-the-f*ck-just-happend-here?!?!?!!!!!!??? (insta there's a vomit-eating gimp in a mailbag and "right foot please!")...

That's some straitght-up screwed shizzle right there.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2008, 10:38 PM
BTW, Heres an oldie..

Not really a twist but...

Whats in the briefcase??

Demonpenz
01-11-2008, 10:38 PM
what about gattica when the dude knew all along that the one dude wasn't a perfect human

L.A. Chieffan
01-11-2008, 10:39 PM
BTW, Heres an oldie..

Whats in the briefcase??

Walter's dirty undies

Frazod
Another great twist, also featuring Spacey - in L.A. Confidential, when Dudley turns around with the gun and shoots Jack while he's sitting at his kitchen table. I sure didn't see that coming.

I wonder if we should spoiler mark these?

L.A. Chieffan
what about gattica when the dude knew all along that the one dude wasn't a perfect human

That's not really a twist considering the viewer knows about it all along as well

L.A. Chieffan
01-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Anybody see Dark City? That movie kinda blew my mind the first time I saw it, of course I was higher than a hippie at Woodstock, but that's a different story.

Demonpenz
01-11-2008, 10:42 PM
How about in requim for a dream when Jennifer connelly twists her ass on a dildo

elvomito
Also, not really a plot twist, but "Audition" has to be up there for 45-minutes-of-what-the-f*ck-is-this-boring-drivel, turned instant what-the-f*ck-just-happend-here?!?!?!!!!!!??? (insta there's a vomit-eating gimp in a mailbag and "right foot please!")...

That's some straitght-up screwed shizzle right there.yess... i remember that one. i kept asking myself why i rented it then i SAW

cdcox
The Sting? Hello?

elvomito
01-11-2008, 10:43 PM
How about in requim for a dream when Jennifer connelly twists her ass on a dildoi liked the vomit in de puddin but the ass2ass was nice!

L.A. Chieffan
01-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Another great twist, also featuring Spacey - in L.A. Confidential, when Dudley turns around with the gun and shoots Jack while he's sitting at his kitchen table. I sure didn't see that coming.

Another quick little twist was in Boondock Saints and Rocco shoots his girlfriend's cat.

" I CAN'T GO BUY A PACK A SMOKES WITHOUT RUNNIN' INTO 9 GUYS YOU ****ED!"

cdcox
01-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Anybody see Dark City? That movie kinda blew my mind the first time I saw it, of course I was higher than a hippie at Woodstock, but that's a different story.

I really like that movie. What Sci Fi should be.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Not on the list, but the one at the end of Costners "No Way Out" was classic.

Demonpenz
01-11-2008, 10:47 PM
i tell you what movie blew my mind is when the unsinkable titanic sunk. who saw that shit coming! Stir of echo's had some sweet twists

DJJasonp
01-11-2008, 10:51 PM

YES! Absolutely a huge twist I didnt see coming at all.

Another great twist was in Wicker Park....good, somewhat under the radar film.

Same goes for Stay with Ewan McGregor

DJJasonp
01-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Not on the list, but the one at the end of Costners "No Way Out" was classic.

Another great one. Didnt see that coming either.

DJJasonp
01-11-2008, 10:52 PM
BTW, Heres an oldie..

Whats in the briefcase??

Popular theory/myth.... Marcelus Wallace's soul.

But Tarantino reportedly has, in a round a bout way...said no to that.

FAX
01-11-2008, 10:57 PM
The Sound Of Music.

It wasn't really a plot twist, but I spent the entire movie hoping the Krauts would kill them all.

FAX

Braincase
01-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Unbreakable

DJJasonp
01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Lucky number slevin had a nice twist at the end as well.

FAX
01-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Did "The Host" have a plot twist at the end? I don't remember.

FAX

Guru
01-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Jacob's Ladder was an excellent movie. Was surprised to see Eddie and the Cruisers on that list.

Tribal Warfare
01-11-2008, 11:42 PM
BTW, Heres an oldie..

Whats in the briefcase??

there were rumors that it was Ving Rhames' soul, and he was buying his soul back from the Devil. Hence the band aid in the back of the head which in some religions it's viewed that is where the soul is located, the 666 combination.

Frazod
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
there were rumors that it was Ving Rhames' soul, and he was buying his soul back from the Devil. Hence the band aid in the back of the head which in some religions it's viewed that is where the soul is located, the 666 combination.

I always just assumed it was a shitload of really high grade heroin, which was why Travolta's face lit up when he saw it.

KCGridironBeast
01-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Another quick little twist was in Boondock Saints and Rocco shoots his girlfriend's cat.

Not a twist...

...but one of the funniest movie moments of all time.

"IS IT DEAD?!?!?"

BigRock
01-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Who came up with that theory? The closing scene of the movie has the fax sketch of Soze coming through to show that it's Verbal. Then it has the act of Verbal lighting up with the same gold lighter that Soze used in the opening scene with Keaton. Then it has Verbal getting into a car driven by Soze's assistant Kobayashi. That seems pretty cut and dry.

If the guy we knew as Kobayashi was actually Keyser Soze, why would he be driving the car that picks up Verbal? Why is a criminal mastermind acting as somebody's driver in the movie's big reveal scene? And Verbal didn't call anyone when he left the police station, so Kobayashi had presumably been waiting there to pick him up. He's portrayed as a secondary guy, not the boss. What really is there to suggest that he's Soze?

And if Verbal isn't Keyzer Soze, who is he to be sitting there totally BS'ing this cop for hours, faking that he's a cripple, and everything else that Verbal pulled off so well?

That theory just sounds like people trying to outsmart themselves.

SCTrojan
01-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Good list. I thought of the plot twist in "Green Mile." Really good movie and pretty faithful to the book.

Dr.Fine
01-12-2008, 07:28 AM

yep-excellent! 3 more:
Body Heat/Invasion of the Body Snatchers/ Sleuth
not a great film, but a damned entertaining one with a decent little twist: Hearts of the West w/Andy Griffith & Jeff Bridges

Molitoth
01-12-2008, 09:55 AM
The Thirteenth Floor

KcMizzou
01-12-2008, 10:56 AM
"Primal Fear" is the first one that comes to mind.

L.A. Chieffan
01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Who came up with that theory? The closing scene of the movie has the fax sketch of Soze coming through to show that it's Verbal. Then it has the act of Verbal lighting up with the same gold lighter that Soze used in the opening scene with Keaton. Then it has Verbal getting into a car driven by Soze's assistant Kobayashi. That seems pretty cut and dry.

If the guy we knew as Kobayashi was actually Keyser Soze, why would he be driving the car that picks up Verbal? Why is a criminal mastermind acting as somebody's driver in the movie's big reveal scene? And Verbal didn't call anyone when he left the police station, so Kobayashi had presumably been waiting there to pick him up. He's portrayed as a secondary guy, not the boss. What really is there to suggest that he's Soze?

And if Verbal isn't Keyzer Soze, who is he to be sitting there totally BS'ing this cop for hours, faking that he's a cripple, and everything else that Verbal pulled off so well?

That theory just sounds like people trying to outsmart themselves.
I'm not saying it's right I'm just saying the theory exists. Some people say that Verbal is Keyser's right hand man and was just pretending to be crippled and stupid and all the other things to throw the scent off. Even if the police finally figured out Verbal was Keyser they would STILL be wrong due to the fact that it had been Kobayashi the entire time. ALL the people who saw Kobayashi are now dead furthering the theory of him never being able to be detected.

FWIW I still believe Verbal was Keyser but I think it's interesting that it could be debated. A true sign of a great movie

blaise
01-12-2008, 04:55 PM
I always liked it at the end of The Maltese Falcon when Bogart turns the woman into the cops.

MTG#10
01-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I cant believe nobody has mentioned Se7en. Biggest plot twist ever.

RedNeckRaider
01-12-2008, 05:09 PM
That was wild!

RedNeckRaider
01-12-2008, 05:13 PM

Outstanding movie! I own it and have watched it several times! Damn I forgot to list it on the movies you would rewatch thread

BigRock
01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm not saying it's right I'm just saying the theory exists.
I know, I didn't mean to act like you were saying it. I was just curious where people would have come up with that. Like I said, it seems to me like whoever thought of that was trying too hard to be clever. I think they did everything but put up a neon sign reading "Verbal is Keyser Soze" at the end.

Frazod
01-12-2008, 05:42 PM

Good catch. Another Kevin Spacey film. He seems to enjoy messing with our heads. :D

Deberg_1990
01-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Good catch. Another Kevin Spacey film. He seems to enjoy messing with our heads. :D

Yea true.

Another twist was the garage scene in "American Beauty".

BigMeatballDave
01-12-2008, 06:01 PM
The Others. I never suspected they were dead.

Frazod
01-12-2008, 06:04 PM
The Others. I never suspected they were dead.

Another good one.

BigMeatballDave
01-12-2008, 06:06 PM
I cant believe nobody has mentioned Se7en. Biggest plot twist ever.Jesus, how could I forget that one. One of my favorite movies.
:doh!:

Deberg_1990
01-12-2008, 06:11 PM
What about the one in M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"??

MTG#10
01-12-2008, 06:19 PM
What about the one in M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"??
You're right that was a major twist...although that twist really pissed me off. You spend the whole movie waiting and waiting to find out what those creatures are and then you find out its just people in costumes...very disappointing. :cuss:

Halfcan
01-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Crying Game.

ChiefaRoo
01-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Skip's fav. movie is The Crying Game.

Sully
01-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Vanilla Sky is on right now... Great ****ing movie with a great ****ing twist.

L.A. Chieffan
01-12-2008, 10:05 PM

PAAAATRRRRROOOOONNNNN!!!!!!!!

Frazod
01-12-2008, 10:11 PM

I've never seen this - one of these days I'll have to rent it.

BigMeatballDave
01-12-2008, 10:15 PM
What about the one in M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"??I live near Amish country. This film was way too predictable.

Sully
01-12-2008, 10:21 PM
I've never seen this - one of these days I'll have to rent it.
Definitely.
I'ma huge Cameron Crowe fan, and I didn't like this one at all when I first saw it... but that was admittedly because I didn't get it. I didn't understand the ending at all. After a friend talked me into seeing it again, and I "got" it, I loved it.

Tribal Warfare
01-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm kinda surprised that they didn't brought up The Matrix(1999 version)because little was known about the whole plot, and people were shitting cupcakes when Morphius was guiding Neo when he got out.

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-12-2008, 10:58 PM
matrix.

surprise has to be at the ending.

Tribal Warfare
01-12-2008, 11:30 PM
matrix.

surprise has to be at the ending.

not necessarily, because when I walked in the theater I thought it would be about some mafia syndicate but with sci-fi overtones. It blew me away that he was living in computer made artificial world or fishbowl, and then action really picked up when that information was given.

chubychecker
01-12-2008, 11:44 PM
"Primal Fear" is the first one that comes to mind.

Agreed one of my favorite movies. Did not see that coming. One of the best acting jobs ever.

Nzoner
01-12-2008, 11:50 PM
It'll either take an old focker like me or a real movie buff to remember this one but Charles Bronson in The Mechanic has 2 very nice twists at the end.

If you watch this clip,the character played by Jan Michael Vincent was brought on as a hitman for the mob by Bronson,JMV was also in love with Bronson's car.

Here's the ending ***MAJOR SPOILER***

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSCid-iOoe0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSCid-iOoe0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Demonpenz
01-13-2008, 12:42 AM
sweet ending, now who is going to fly airwolf?

Mr. Kotter
01-13-2008, 12:58 AM
My nominee, left off the list...

No Way Out 1987

I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor in disbelief... :clap:

Deberg_1990
01-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Definitely.
I'ma huge Cameron Crowe fan, and I didn't like this one at all when I first saw it... but that was admittedly because I didn't get it. I didn't understand the ending at all. After a friend talked me into seeing it again, and I "got" it, I loved it.

I love that flick too.

Its actually a remake of a spanish film called "Open Your Eyes"

Penelope Cruz in fact plays the same role in both flicks.

They are actually very similiar. Even alot of the shots are the same. All Crowe did was change the music to fit his style.

Check it out to compare if you havent seen it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125659/

2bikemike
01-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I Can't believe Primal Fear is not on the list. And they put Eddie and the Cruisers?

Deberg_1990
01-13-2008, 09:20 AM
It'll either take an old focker like me or a real movie buff to remember this one but Charles Bronson in The Mechanic has 2 very nice twists at the end.

If you watch this clip,the character played by Jan Michael Vincent was brought on as a hitman for the mob by Bronson,JMV was also in love with Bronson's car.

Here's the ending ***MAJOR SPOILER***

Good clip. Funny how movies used to just end so suddenly.

BOOM! Credits.

Nzoner
01-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Good clip. Funny how movies used to just end so suddenly.

BOOM! Credits.

Yeah,remember Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/To7MJB83kZI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/To7MJB83kZI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Deberg_1990
01-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah,remember Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry?

Yea, definately.

Funny you posted that. I almost posted it before you did!

Simply Red
01-13-2008, 09:53 AM
As far as `twists`

Seven' would be close to the top on my list.

Guru
06-13-2010, 01:37 AM
It's fun watching one of these movies with someone that hasn't seen it yet.