PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI's Pat Kirwan: Rich Owens a "break out" player...

DaWolf
07-31-2001, 12:47 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/pat_kirwan/news/2001/07/23/kirwan_july23/
Kansas City's Richie Owens is a darkhorse for double-digit sacks. He'll line up next to Eric Hicks, who had 14 sacks last year. Plus, he'll be reunited with his former defensive line coach, Bob Karmelowicz. When Owens lined up next to Sean Gilbert in Washington -- under Karm's watchful eye -- he had 11 sacks.

Phobia
07-31-2001, 01:44 PM
Interesting. Hmmmm - high hopes for a player that hasn't even been penciled in to start, huh? I guess pre-season will be quite interesting this year.

keg in kc
07-31-2001, 01:48 PM
The way Duane Clemons is playing right now, the only way Owens will break the starting lineup is via injury.

Let's hope that doesn't happen...

I like Owens though, and it's a perfect example of how bringing in certain vets can raise the level of players around them. Clemons has been working his butt off because he knows there's someone waiting in the wings to take his job.

Competition, a beautiful thing. ;)

Pitt Gorilla
07-31-2001, 01:49 PM
Why would he line up next to Hicks except in third and long? Dude's an end, as is Hicks. What's the deal?

keg in kc
07-31-2001, 01:58 PM
You know, I read right over that Gorilla. You're right, it's odd that he'd say that since Owens isn't playing tackle for us (although he could in a pinch from what I understand).

Warrior5
07-31-2001, 02:01 PM
How can Owens line up next to Hicks? He's also a DE.
But never mind this question, as I just saw that Keg and Pitt already addressed this.

milkman
07-31-2001, 09:50 PM
The fact that he thinks that Owen will line up next to Hicks is just another example of the national media not knowing squat about KC.

philfree
07-31-2001, 10:04 PM
I think he might have meant the opposite end from Hicks but didn't say it correctly. Either way it's a positive story and I like it. Even if we have an injury to Hicks or Clem we have a good back up and Browning can stay at DT.

PhilFree :cool:
~Accentuating the positive and feeling DVs love~

Saggysack
08-01-2001, 02:53 AM
Now wait. We all know KC has questions at DT. Owens could be used as a J.Browning type player playing both DE and DT. But anyway I read the thread earlier and noticed that comment about being alongside of Hicks and thought that isn't right, but hell who knows KC could try anything like Tony Gonzales in the backfield.

mcan
08-01-2001, 05:52 AM
While you could be right about him playing a little DT, I think this guy just doesn't know what he's talking about. This snippit was also in the article and he specifies that Carter will play "opposite" Kearse. So, his terminology isn't what's messed up. His knowledge of the players/team is.

---------Traded to Tennessee this spring, former St. Louis defensive end Kevin Carter couldn't have asked for a better situation. He'll line up opposite Jevon Kearse and that combination could spell career highs in sacks for both players. Here's an interesting parallel: In 1999, Marco Coleman had 6.5 sacks for the Redskins, the best effort of his nine-year career. Then he played opposite Bruce Smith in 2000 and nearly doubled his sack total to 12 while Smith collected 10. The Titans' tandem should easily outproduce Washington's duo. -----------

Basically these national guys look for stuff we could find over the internet, and write up stories about this or that. Then they do broadcasts and mispronounce everyones names. What a bunch of losers.:rolleyes:

ChiefGator
08-01-2001, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't expect Owens to take too many snaps at Tackle. Unless I'm forgetting someone, we only have three pure veteran DE's (Hicks, Clemons, Owens). DV likes to rotate lineman even more than years past here in KC. He has also stated that he thinks Hicks is a little light and may get tired working against some of the better OT's in the league.

That said, I DO agree with the article. I think our D-Line will still have an exceptional year and the trio of DE's should get 30 sacks and improve our running game. When Clemons was healthy last year (especially near the end) he made some great tackles. He was one of the few who didn't close their eyes as they rushed the QB, but rather could adjust and make the tackle on the RB in tht backfield if necessary.

Milkman, absolutely correct. How many times have national media said the most idiotic things about the Chiefs. I remember Paqurelli sticking his foot in his hollow head a couple times this offseason in big ways.

-Mark

dtebbe
08-01-2001, 08:45 AM
I work just down the hall from CNNSI, and trust me, my 2 year old knows more about the Chiefs than anyone over there. That place is like a high school locker room, without the showers.... That being said I would love to see 11 sacks out of someone who probably won't start.

DT

DaWolf
08-01-2001, 10:32 AM
I think Rich, if he's good, will get his chances in the rotation system. And I also don't expect both Hicks and Clemons to be healthy all year long. So he ought to get some PT. But yes, if both Clemons (who everyone is saying looks like he's ready to have a monster season) and Hicks remain healthy, Owens is going to be nothing more than a backup at those positions...

Mr. Laz
08-01-2001, 01:07 PM
actually i think rich owen has play inside at defensive tackle also.

IF dan williams gets hurt or start being a pain in the backside (again) then rich owens could rotate inside, just like browning did last year.

browning is/was a defensive end too.

i think the team probably uses martin/ransom etc... as the big run stuffer in the middle guy.

then uses virtually everyone else to shoot the gaps and push into the backfield.

if that's the case then using a end/tackle like owens inside would be ok.

don't forget that dan williams is actually a convert def. end also.

Saggysack
08-01-2001, 11:12 PM
Is that the NEPA hated lazarus?

Mr. Laz
08-02-2001, 11:27 AM
yes, i suppose so, although i have no idea why i would be hated over there. i didn't do anything other than put up a messageboard.

Originally posted by Cooter Z Chief
Is that the NEPA hated lazarus?