PDA

View Full Version : I wonder how Mikhael Ricks is doing at TE

keg in kc
07-31-2001, 04:26 PM
I realize he's been injured, but I saw this note today in Rick Dean's column, and it looks mildly positive:

Mikhael Ricks, a former wide receiver making a successful transition to tight end, missed both workouts with a back problem.

I'm probably reading too much into that, but it does say "successful transition"...

I'm really hoping the guy comes through. I think it would be tremendous to have two hybrid WR/TEs (that's what I consider Gonzo to be) available at all times, and it would be great to have a guy who might be able to stand in for Tony for a game or two in the unfortunate event of an injury.

philfree
07-31-2001, 09:51 PM
Ricks caught a TD pass from Green in practice today. At least he's back to practice and competing. I'd really like to see him develope as a TE/WR for us. With his size and speed he could become hard to handle. Wasn't he a 1st Rnd pick?

PhilFree:cool:

Pitt Gorilla
07-31-2001, 10:06 PM
Actually, he was a second rounder, I believe. San Diego got him with one of their second for a first trades.

milkman
07-31-2001, 10:09 PM
Phil,
Bobby Beathard traded the Chargers 99(?) first round pick for a 98(?) 2nd round pick during the 98 draft.
He used that pick to select Ricks.

philfree
07-31-2001, 10:11 PM
I just like the thought of taking a division rivals draft pick and have him turn successful for the Chiefs. 1st rnd, 2nd rnd, it really doesn't matter just as long as he helps us win division games.

PhilFree :cool:

keg in kc
07-31-2001, 10:16 PM
I really hope he comes through because it would give us some real flexibility. Motion from twin TE sets with two WR/TE hybrids could be a real nightmare for defenses. His blocking will have to be at least adequate, though, because you can't pass the ball every time he comes on the field.

philfree
07-31-2001, 10:19 PM
That would be the same as 4 wide. Move the back out and it's 5 wide. Kyle, I think we agree.

LMT
07-31-2001, 10:21 PM
Any word on how Barber is looking?

philfree
07-31-2001, 10:23 PM
Haven't heard a word about Baber. Not a word!

KCJohnny
08-01-2001, 06:41 AM
This puts me at odds with all you Rams lovers, but the idea of a huge TE/WR hybrid combo with TR in the single back set makes me salivate. DA and Minnis/Mayes on the flanks with Gonzo/Ricks at TE and Richardson exploding out of the backfield. Who do you cover? This sounds MEAN to me!

Go Ricks!
Go Chiefs!
KCJ:)

mcan
08-01-2001, 07:44 AM
The problem is, we need two big blockers for TEs in the goal line offense. So Dunn and and one of the other big guys will be number 2 and 3. We could carry a fourth TE if Gammon gets replaced, but I would hate to see that because I don't want to have to put up with bad long snaps.

Oxford
08-01-2001, 08:23 AM
Anyone remember the "Winged-T" or the "wham" blocking that SD used to do with their H-back? The TE (or wing back) can motion and lead block on run plays, or run the "pick" on pass plays, trap block on misdirection. I know it sounds "play action" (RAM's style doesn't use this) but it will sure slow down an aggressive DL. You never quite know who to block........

KCJohnny
08-02-2001, 06:28 AM
Ox, that's exactly the kind of difference between us and the indoor/carpet/arena Rams that I am hoping for. 2 TEs that can both block and catch on every down would be hard to stop. Let's face it; Gonzo is feared around the league as a 250 lb WR. Ricks could be feared as a 240 lb WR. I agree that there may be some drop off in certain running schemes, but not if the LBs/Ss are forced to respect the pass on every down because of the talent/threat of the TEs.

KCJ

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 09:43 AM
Johnny,

I must remind you, you've been hearing this from both me and Kegger for about 6 months now...

This offense won't look like the Rams, we don't yet have the speed at receiver or the INDOOR schedule...not only do they play 8 games at home, but they also play AT New Orleans and Atlanta. That's at least 10 out of 16 that they play indoors on the rug...

We WILL run a 2 TE quite a bit, and if Ricks can be the #2, we'll be in great shape IMHO.

KCJohnny
08-02-2001, 09:50 AM
I admit you guys have beeen singing this song awhile, but you also should admit that DV was singing nothing but Rams, Rams, Rams when he got here and is still whistling that tune when the opportunity arrives.

I like the 2 TE monster receivers idea. I think that makes the best use of available talent, creates mismatches, facilitates the rushing game, and REALLY comes at the time we need a veteran receiving lift with Slymo hurt.

KCJ

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 09:54 AM
Johnny,

DV WON A SUPERBOWL TWO YEARS AGO WITH THE RAMS!

Hello...why wouldn't he be?

I don't have a problem with it, because I knows that the only things about the Rams he wants to really bring to the Chiefs are the SUPERBOWL RINGS.

keg in kc
08-03-2001, 12:26 AM
More Ricks info, looks like KC is doing what we hoped:

POSITION ANALYSIS: TIGHT END

Not only do the Chiefs have the game's best pass-receiving tight end in Tony Gonzalez, but they have some depth in Dunn and Ricks.

So expect to see the Chiefs in two-tight end alignments frequently. They are versatile from those formations. They can use the 273-pound Dunn with Gonzalez and use the extra muscle. Or they can use Ricks, a converted wide receiver and hope to cause matchup problems for teams trying to cover two big pass receivers.

The St. Louis offense imported by Vermeil and offensive coordinator Al Saunders didn't make much use of the tight end in the passing game. Evidence from training camp shows that rule won't apply with Gonzalez and the Chiefs.

The Rams didn't throw to the tight end because their strength was at running back and wide receiver. The Chiefs will throw to their tight ends because that's where their strength lies.

milkman
08-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Keg,
That last post leads one to wonder, where does Baber fit in?
Or does he fit in at all?

keg in kc
08-03-2001, 10:15 PM
I'd be surprised not to see him on special teams, Red Eyes, based on the pre-draft info on his athleticism. Then again, I haven't heard word one about him all summer that I can recall, so who knows...

I'm glad Ricks seems to be working out though.

The Bad Guy
08-03-2001, 10:18 PM
, that's exactly the kind of difference between us and the indoor/carpet/arena Rams that I am hoping for. 2 TEs that can both block and catch on every down would be hard to stop. Let's face it; Gonzo is feared around the league as a 250 lb WR. Ricks could be feared as a 240 lb WR.

Please look around the NFL and show me a 240 lb receiver that teams fear.

When your done doing that Proctor, I want you to go back and tell me how feared Mikhael Ricks was in San Diego and last year when he spent the whole season on the inactive list.

The only reason you have this facination about Ricks staying at wide out because it continues to give you some glimmer of hope that this whole traditional 'maulball/Martyball' will stay alive in KC.

Heres a newsflash, it's dead.

It seems that all your boys are in DC now. Donnell Bennett, Jimmy Raye and Marty Schottenheimer. I don't know why you don't join them.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 10:21 PM
Frank,

:D

keg in kc
08-03-2001, 10:28 PM
I like having a 6-4 250 pound hybrid other teams fear. Having a second hybrid that goes 6'5 240 would be nice too, at least a few times a game.

But what we've been missing is a 5'11 190 pounder with 4.3 speed, who is a pure receiver that runs good routes with good dicipline and technique.

That's a weapon I don't remember seeing lately.

I guarantee we'll have at least one of those by next season, if he's not here already (have I mentioned that I like Dave Klemic - probably on the practice squad though, until he perfects his route running).

I still don't get some people's fascination with being one-dimensional. Flexibility is a killer. Give me size. Give me speed. Give me athleticism. Give me hard workers. Give me intelligent players.

Add that all together and you have the ability to overcome any defense.

Even the Ravens.

milkman
08-03-2001, 10:50 PM
Keg,
The problem I see with keeping Baber as a STer is in numbers.
The likelyhood that Cadrez will displace Gammon as the long snapper seems questional at best.
So with Gonzo, Ricks, Dunn, Baber and Gammon listed at TE, someone would have to be cut, to make room for depth elswhere.

keg in kc
08-03-2001, 10:54 PM
Yep, Red Eyes. And I don't think we'll see Dunn released, so Baber may very well be the odd man out.

It'll be interesting to see who the practice squad guys are this year...

keg in kc
08-03-2001, 11:00 PM
here's the first Baber news I think I've seen all camp (today's star):

Rookie tight end Billy Baber made a diving catch over linebacker Glenn Cadrez....

milkman
08-03-2001, 11:10 PM
Keg,
I think Baber may just be a strong candidate for the PC, along with Sands and your boy Klemic.

keg in kc
08-03-2001, 11:21 PM
I assume you meant "my boy Klemic" instead of Baber, Red Eyes...

You hear about the Dante Hall/Klemic race today? Apparently Klemic edged him out by a nose. The guy has *legitimate* 4.35 speed (in pads), and he said in an interview today that his top time at pro workouts in the spring was - get this - 4.28. That's pretty impressive speed, and he's the prototypical size, 5'11, 185 pounds.

The downside is that he's not had a great deal of experience with football and he's been a bit slow learning the playbook thus far, which is why I think he's practice squad material.

milkman
08-03-2001, 11:28 PM
Yep,
Already edited.

KCJohnny
08-04-2001, 08:08 AM
Kyle,
Thanks for the Ricks update.

KCJ

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 03:05 PM
My pleasure, John.

DaWolf
08-04-2001, 11:03 PM
Today's Ricks update:

The pads were popping during a spirited goal-line drill with neither side of the ball getting the best of the action. The play of the day was turned in by tight end Mikhael Ricks, who made a sensational one-handed catch over linebacker Donnie Edwards in the front corner of the end zone for a touchdown.

//www.kcstar.com/item/pages/sports.pat,sports/3accdef2.804,.html

Tribal Warfare
08-05-2001, 10:40 AM
It doesn't shock me at all to hear that Ricks is making a successful transition to TE. The man was a TE in college, and he's built for it also 6'5" 240lbs.

philfree
08-05-2001, 10:49 AM
When we first got Ricks I kept getting this image of TonyG, DA, The Cat and Ricks all on the field at the same time. How could any D cover all those big receivers. To bad The Cat is out for the season because that vision had a good chance to become reality.
Maybe next year.

KCJohnny
08-05-2001, 03:46 PM
Phil:
Maybe with those 3 big guys in the lineup, we would profit from a darter like Minnis or Moses. Imagine a zone D thinking 'size, size, size' when all of a sudden a little 170 lb rocket shakes and bakes thru some S or LB. I'm with you, the thought of Slymo with those other guys (and don't forget 235 lb Tony Richardson snagged 58 passes last year!!!) had me thrilled at the receiving prospects, but I think that either Mayes or Minnis will perform a Kevin Lockett-type role while the main attention will be Gonzo, DA and Richardson, where it belongs IMO.

Go Ricks!!!!
KCJ