PDA

View Full Version : Korey Stringer Dies From Heatstroke

AJKCFAN
08-01-2001, 06:25 AM
The All-Pro right tackle for the Vikings died overnight, after severe multi-organ failure from heatstroke complications. Body temperature reached 108 degrees upon arrival at the hospital and Stringer never regained consciousness as doctors were unsuccessful in improving his serious condition.

Stringer was an All-Pro selection for the 1st time last season and was the Vikings 1st round pick in 1995.

Hearts go out to the Vikings family and their fans...

Mark M
08-01-2001, 07:02 AM
Yeah, I heard about this just now at work. What a damn shame. I loathe the Vikings, but something like this kinda puts everything into perspective, doesn't it? This kid (he was 27) was going to be a great player for a long time.

My thoughts are definitely with his family (his wife and 3-year old boy), his teammates and their fans.

I hope other coaches take a cue from this and make sure they don't overwork the players. I wonder if Marty will run the OK drill anymore ... :rolleyes:

MM
~~:(

mcan
08-01-2001, 07:07 AM
Did this happen as a result of exurtion on the field or was he out too long in the sun after practice? Did he collapse during a play, did he complain? Did the coaches keep him out too long? What happened exactly?

Mark M
08-01-2001, 07:12 AM
Here's a link to the Vikes page:

http://www.vikings.com/

Just click on the pic of Stringer for the story.

MM
~~Trying to help.

mcan
08-01-2001, 07:31 AM
A terrible tragedy.
I suppose we should keep practice at River Falls then. Does anyone know if this has ever happened to a player in the NFL before. Or even the Chiefs. If it hasn't I'ld really be surprised esp/ with all the linemen like Stringer.

Saggysack
08-01-2001, 07:32 AM
My condolences to the Stringer family.

Archie F. Swin
08-01-2001, 07:54 AM
I'm really suprised that the Cowboys haven't had the same misfortune. This is the fourth year they've come to our town (Wichita Falls, TX) and there may have been 2-3 days over that 4 year span that afternoon temps weren't in the triple digits.

The Cowboys arrived on the 21st. Here's the daytime high temps:

date/high temp

21 106
22 107
23 106
24 103
25 103
26 102
27 102
28 103
29 107
30 104
31 102

Gracie Dean
08-01-2001, 08:08 AM
I don't know about the Pro's but last week a Florida State player died almost in exactly the same way.

ChiefGator
08-01-2001, 08:17 AM
Actually, that was Univ of Florida, not FSU, although FSU actually lost a player the exact same way within the last year as well. There have been no allegations against either sports program, though. In fact Autin (UF) died after working out voluntarily. He was running off the field afterward and the next thing you know he was in a coma on the field. Also reached 108 degrees before dieing.

By the time your brain is inflicted with 108 degrees for a while, it tends to resemble a cabbage more than a functioning brain.

My condolences to the Viking and Stringer families.

Mark

gh4chiefs
08-01-2001, 08:38 AM
This kind of makes one think, "Damn, this is just supposed to be a GAME." I know there are a lot of occupations out there where people put it on the line every day and are killed on the job, but to see someone die like this, I wonder if we don't need to re-examine our priorities.

I want to win the Super Bowl as much as the next guy, but if it's so damn hot that people are dying, maybe it's time to take a break.

ChiefGator
08-01-2001, 08:44 AM
Here's a good article on the college side of things..

Summer workouts are not worth dying for. (http://www.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,4149904,00.html)

I have to say Bowden's comments at the bottom of the article are a little irritating..

-Mark

alanm
08-01-2001, 08:49 AM
The only way to explain it is sometimes the human engine gets overheated. And when it does it's extremely hard to get it back down without suffering serious consequences. This is a total shame

philfree
08-01-2001, 08:51 AM
My heart goes out to the Stringer Family. Why wasn't someone watching this guy? After being carted off the field the day before someone should of been making sure he didn't get to hot. After he threw up the first time he should of went in, his teammates and trainers should have made him. I know he didn't tell anybody he threw up but I would think it would be hard to miss a 335 pound man puking on the field.

PhilFree :cool:

Phobia
08-01-2001, 08:58 AM
That's horrible. Anybody snuffed out in their prime is just against everything I've ever believed in. I hope that he and his family aren't soon forgotten by Red McCombs and the Vikings' family.

bishop_74
08-01-2001, 09:21 AM
I am pretty upset that this happened for a football training camp. It makes me realize how hard they are pushing these guys.

Baby Lee
08-01-2001, 09:22 AM
This is such a difficult incident to even think about. There are so many variables [a little more water here, 2 extra seconds rest here and there, 5 minutes in the shade at some point] that separate a 'ggod workout' from a tragedy. In a workout situation, your senses get tired and by the time you're aware that you're in trouble, you've often been in trouble for a little while.

The money and prestige are so great at this level, and the ability level so high. It is unfortunate that this mix leads some to turn of the switch in their head that tells them they have surpassed the effort level required to 'earn their keep' and are heading into a much more dangerous zone.

However, I do have to take exception to the article linked below.

unsafe is unsafe and one death for any reason is too many.

Hate to tell him, but there will be thousands and thousands of deaths today, for thousands and thousands of reasons. And many of those reasons will not be all that palatable.

tommykat
08-01-2001, 09:50 AM
I have to rethink what DV said yesterday about the heat now. It kept saying it wasn't hot.......just get used to it. Come Sept. 9th it's going to be a lot hotter at Arrowhead. He is right about that, but now after a death, I'm thinking that especially the ones not in shape should be watched more closely so we don't have a problem or death as well.;)

Just a thought. Besides, I just figured this out and had to try to figure this out. I sure hope my cat is still swinging around..

Iowanian
08-01-2001, 10:26 AM
It is a bad thing that the man died.....but I would like to mention that construction workers, farmers and laborers die every day of the summer from the same thing. I remember the flak a couple years ago when the 3 wrestlers died of the same thing...

I think teams should keep an eye on their guys but I hope this incident doesn't get blown out of proportion and change alot of rules.

I feel bad for his family,aquaintences, fans...but no worse than the guy who is going to die today diggin a hole for $8/hr.

~keeping things in perspective.

Baby Lee
08-01-2001, 10:37 AM
I agree Iowanian. But I gotta ask about the wrestlers. I don't know the specifics of what you're talking about, but my experience with wrestlers is some doing pretty crazy stuff to lose weight. We're talking Martin Lawrence, trashbags and sweaters running in the sun, spitting every drop of their saliva into a cup, diuretics, crazy. In cases like that, a little education on the risks they run is in order.

bkkcoh
08-01-2001, 10:40 AM
It is clear to me that the government needs to step in and take charge.

1. No outside practices unless the temperature is between 60 and 70.

2. Plenty of fluids to drink when finishing your 5 minute block of practice.

3. Team meetings must be held inside in very comforable chairs that help the posture so the players don't hurt their backs.

ECT......

j/k

It is a shame that Corey had to die like this. I send my sympathies to the family and the Vikings.

:(

Gracie Dean
08-01-2001, 10:42 AM
he only other NFL training camp fatality is believed to be J.V. Cain, a tight end for the St. Louis Cardinals, who died of a heart attack on July 22, 1979, his 28th birthday. Chuck Hughes, a wide receiver for the Detroit Lions, died of a heart attack Oct. 24, 1972 during a game in Detroit against the Chicago Bears.

Iowanian
08-01-2001, 10:45 AM
JC,

that is true. I've done my time jumping rope in plastics in the shower room with them all blazing on hot, wrapped in rolled mats after workouts and spit in the cups.....I agree that this is different and some education is in order. My point was that they went in and made many wholesale changes in Wrestling...at least in Iowa....Body fat tests and weighins are required before the season and now, if i'm correct, the kids can only go 1 weight below the original test.

This is good in fundamental Idea, but doesn't take into account the individuals body composition. Some kids are muscled, ripped, and 4%bf, while other kids the the same weight might be a little "porkier" and could safely lose the extra 6-10lbs.

My kids won't be cutting as much weight as I did and will be advised to get stronger at the weight they are.....but a little flexibility is good......as is the ban on plastics in HS.

hawaiianboy
08-01-2001, 12:40 PM
You could see something like this happening sooner than later though with players pushing the 350 lb mark.... Stringers been known to show up at 370 lbs then try to lose the weight during camp.... Something like this should never happen with all thats available to a player these days... they have fluid available to them throughout practice and on site trainers, IV's and what not there after practice....

I'm glad the old school 'no water/run till you puke" mentality is not so prevalent these days....

Tragic.

One Arrowhead Dave
08-01-2001, 02:20 PM
I had the fortune of watching every game of Korey Stringer's career at Ohio State....I just read the news, what a shock.

Nothing can harm a good man, either in life or after death - Socrates

Warrior5
08-01-2001, 02:28 PM
I believe a St. Louis Cardinal died at TC a while back, and back in the 70s a Detroit Lion died of a heart attack during a game. Beyond these, I don't think any NFL players have died from heat injuries.

Gracie Dean
08-01-2001, 03:30 PM
the only other NFL training camp fatality is believed to be J.V. Cain, a tight end for the St. Louis Cardinals, who died of a heart attack on July 22, 1979, his 28th birthday. Chuck Hughes, a wide receiver for the Detroit Lions, died of a heart attack Oct. 24, 1972 during a game in Detroit against the Chicago Bears.

I guess this got lost somewhere

keg in kc
08-01-2001, 03:37 PM
This was a real shock to hear when I woke up. I am regularly (i.e. 2-3 hours daily) active outside in 95-100 degree heat, either walking or doing yard work as part of my gut-fighting exercise regimen, and to see someone the same age as me die of heat stroke is a real wake-up call. I take in tons of fluids during the day, but now I'm a little paranoid about it...

Sad, sad story.