PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Raiderland?

htismaqe
08-01-2001, 09:13 AM
Jerry Porter left practice after fighting with Coach Belitnikoff.

Gruden called off practice after TWO (not one, but TWO) fights broke out amongst the players...

Are there chemistry problems on this team? This isn't a jab at all, if it were the Chiefs doing this, I'd be genuinely concerned...

HB, any info?

alanm
08-01-2001, 09:17 AM
Nah.. There's always fights going on in training camp.

htismaqe
08-01-2001, 09:22 AM
Apparently not this bad...Gruden said some things afterwards that made me wonder. He said he'd really never seen anything like it, and that it was inexcusable and stuff like that.

By the way, the last time the Chiefs had multiple fights in training camp was 1998. They followed it up with fights at a scrimmage against New Orleans and the infamous "Monday night meltdown"...

I guess I just don't shrug it off like that...

philfree
08-01-2001, 09:23 AM
Gee, I thought the "Great Rich Gannon" and his leadership would have quailed any such actions by his team mates. Perhaps the Gooz really did squish the intangibles out of'em.

PhilFree :cool:

Ugly Duck
08-01-2001, 10:00 AM
Dang! There went my SuperBowl dreams - right out the window! Football players fighting each other, tsk-tsk. And right when the Raiders were looking good, too. Oh well - maybe next year....

"I don't have a motorcycle, so I said I'd stay right here," Gruden said, "I am not going to blow this incident out of proportion. I've seen fights in every training camp I've ever been in."

Defensive end Trace Armstrong said: "I hate to say it's part of football, because it shouldn't be. You've got to be disciplined enough to control your emotions. And how are you going to feel if you get in a fight and a guy breaks a hand?"

Quarterback Rich Gannon said "there was probably $10 million worth of contracts in that pile. I've learned to stay away from those piles. I'm a lover, not a fighter."

"Fights happen," Lincoln Kennedy said, shrugging. "Now we're all going to go have lunch together."

Baby Lee
08-01-2001, 10:04 AM
I'm a lover, not a fighter

So, is he saying that if there were $10 million in contracts on the ground making sweet love, he'd partake??

Learn something new everyday.

:) [Totally TIC]

Ugly Duck
08-01-2001, 10:23 AM
On a more serious note.....the Jerry Porter thing may be for real (where did you find the bit on him leaving camp? I can't find it...). He is one of those hot-headed youngsters that is quite full of himself. In spite of his limited use as WR in his college carreer, he feels that he is right up there with Tim Brown and Jerry Rice. When a reporter commented that Porter has the best tutors possible, Brown replied, "Jerry doesn't need us - he already knows everything."

He has worked hard during the offseason, though. On Gruden's "most improved" list. So is Jano - didja check out Kowski's new look? Been working with trainers all offseason. Hit the weights hard - lost 30 lbs of fat and gained 14 lbs of muscle. Slowed his approach to the ball and is pounding that poor ball thru the uprights. Fatso no mo......

Ugly Duck
08-01-2001, 11:57 AM
Ok, Ok, I found it. Porter didn't leave camp, he went "storming off of the field" when chastised by Biletnikoff. Oakland is having a really intense camp - competition is way fierce in several areas and folks are getting grumpy. Hey - some of these WRs ain't gonna make it.....maybe KC can pick them up!

milkman
08-01-2001, 12:02 PM
UD,
You guys may as well cut Porter loose.
With Gannon at the helm, you ain't got no use for him anyway.
What's Porter gonna do, get a gun and shoot the lame ducks that Gannon would try to get to him?

hawaiianboy
08-01-2001, 12:26 PM
Porters been tearing camp up this year and Brown and Freddie B have been riding him hard to push his limits.... I understand the guys were laughing their *** off about having to fetch Porter from the locker room.... They are 8 days into two-a-days, having to dorm away from home...Nothing but football 24/7.... I'd be worried if there were no fights and short tempers... I hear DeLawrence Grant has got into a couple of doozies already... I'm sure they can't wait till Saturday vs the Boys...

Every coach publically will speak out against it, yet high 5 the other coaches in private .... The chemistry has been the best I can remember from probably the late '80's ....

Freddie's still a multiple pack smoking, coffee chugging A-hole and can be a real grating kind of guy.... Brown has been known to get into it with him in years past also...

Porter's got special talent and is not lacking in confidence... I hear he has challenged Vince Carter to a dunk contest...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-01-2001, 12:32 PM
Chemistry?

I don't like players like Porter, (see what Brown said about him in post #6)

CG

you guys are going to fall apart this year...not just because of poor chemistry, but lack of Ben Gay:D

Logical
08-01-2001, 12:40 PM
HawaiianBoy,

Long time with no communication. I would agree with your and UDs take. The Porter thing is only a problem if it becomes a trend. Hotheaded athletes is nothing new and an isolated incident should not be overblown. I would be saying the same thing if it was the Chiefs. It is likely only a problem if it becomes a trend like it did in 98 for the Chiefs.

hawaiianboy
08-01-2001, 12:48 PM
Cody... with all due respect... it was an isolated incident ( and I'm sure I've heard the exact same thing said 2,3 or 30 times about your hero Kobe)... Brown, Rice and Porter have been getting along great and Porter has worked harder than anyone on the team this offseason....

Reverend Jim....

Been real busy with work and coaching... been to Japan 2 times for football clinics this summer already... Almost time to rock and roll though... Hope all is well SD way...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-01-2001, 12:51 PM
No prob, HB.

BTW, have you partaked in the power rankings yet?

CG

likes HBs views

Logical
08-01-2001, 12:55 PM
JQ,

I have been busy but most of it in town so that is cool. How did you like Japan? When I spent 6 months there a few years ago that was too much and certainly removed much of the joy. But there were some interesting things about the experience.

I think I will have to suffer through another season of your Raiders doing better overall than my Chiefs, but I think the Chiefs are now on the right track and need time to jell and improve a few key positions. Still think we will take one from you guys this season and with a little luck could steal a second.

Ugly Duck
08-01-2001, 12:56 PM
I feel kinda sorry for the Cowboys right about now....this year's Raider team just can't wait to take the gloves off. Players are catching Gru's Evil Eye for hitting too hard, folks are fightin and cussin - kickin the stall, chompin at the bit. Its all about to bust loose when these guys see a different colored uniform. Light a candle for the Cowboys....

'cept for Allen, the guy that benched 700 lbs. No need to worry about him.....

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2001, 01:07 PM
All this takes me back to the early 90's when the Raiders were the "most talented" team in the AFC West . Then they blew it by mid-season. I love thos memories

hawaiianboy
08-01-2001, 01:09 PM
Reverend Jim....

I love Japan... I go about 6 times a year on business... but the clinics were different... I had no idea they were so into football... they are much more coachable than some guys I've had before and they treated us first class all the way... I think the Chiefs are on the right track simply from the standpoint that there is genuine excitement among the players again... Whatever faults Vermeil has, he does not lack people skills... He'd make a hell of a car salesman....

Cody... did submit my tainted views... that power ranking feature is mucho cool... I wish the Raiders had a cool bb like this....

htismaqe
08-01-2001, 01:14 PM
I respect UD and HB's opinions, so maybe it is nothing...

I'd still keep my eye on it, though, it could get ugly real fast...

BTW, I said Porter left "practice" not "camp"...he doesn't have a Harley does he?

Ugly Duck
08-02-2001, 08:49 PM
Not too much trouble in Raiders camp......more on the story:

At one point after Reggie Barlow was sent in to replace Jerry Porter, wide receivers coach Fred Biletnikoff and Porter exchanged not so pleasant pleasantries and Biletnikoff told the second year player to get off the field.

Porter took it literally. He headed off the field for the locker room area. Later, Gruden jogged off the field and into the clubhouse alone. After a few moments passed, Gruden and Porter returned and practice resumed.

"It was nothing, nothing at all," Porter said.

Porter's work has been limited of late because of a tight hamstring that he said was a minor injury.

—Kicker Sebastian Janikowski got his first test of the season on Thursday. Faced with a 49-yard field goal, the team was told if he made it, they got the rest of the practice off. If he missed, everybody would have to run gassers.

No problem. Janikowski's kick seared through the middle of the goalposts like a rocket on takeoff, clearing the bar with plenty to spare.

Meanwhile, the kick nearly decapitated cameraman Pete Caracciolo as he worked on the scissors lift behind the goalposts. Also in grave danger was a $50,000 video camera that Caracciolo hung onto.

"If he had hit that camera, he would have absolutely destroyed it," Caracciolo said.

By conservative estimates, Janikowski's field goal would have been good from 60 yards.

milkman
08-02-2001, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by hawaiianboy
I wish the Raiders had a cool bb like this....

RaiderFan doesn't have any use for a board.
They still share their veiws the old fashioned way....with guns and knives. :eek:

NaptownChief
08-02-2001, 09:22 PM
Flyin',

If he doesn't bring us some playoff sucess by next year he might end up selling cars...:D

hawaiianboy
08-02-2001, 10:42 PM
Well Leighty.... maybe you'll get lucky and he'll cut a deal on a ride for you so that you can finally retire that AMC Pacer....

milkman....

There is a busy Raider bb but theres too many drama queens and cliques for my taste.... Some were calling for Freddie B's head after this minor incident with Porter....

TROUBLE IN PARADISE SQUASHED BTW (http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/stories_front/raidnote_20010802.htm)

CanadaKC
08-02-2001, 10:50 PM
I have a gut feeling that one if not more of "The Geriatric Three"
are going to run out of luck and get injured this year...maybe for the season. Oh well.:p