PDA

View Full Version : Life sentence for third man convicted in Texas dragging death

blackhawk
01-20-2008, 03:44 PM
JASPER, Texas -- Shawn Allen Berry, the last of three white men to stand trial for the dragging death of a black man, escaped the death penalty late Thursday when he was sentenced to life in prison. Under Texas law he must spend 40 years behind bars before he can be considered for parole.

Nine friends and family members had taken the stand to beg for Berry's life shortly after a jury convicted him of capital murder for the death of James Byrd Jr.

The slaying was one of the grisliest racial crimes since the civil rights era in the United States. Berry, 24, had insisted he was too afraid of his two racist buddies to help Byrd.

"I am very sorry from what happened to Mr. Byrd, and I've said that from day one. I wanted to speak to the Byrd family personally but I couldn't," Berry testified during the sentencing hearing.

Defense witnesses in the penalty phase testified that Berry - - who unlike his fellow defendants did not have a history of racist activities -- did not meet the death-penalty test of being a future threat to society.

"He's not a danger to nobody, never has been, never will be. I'm begging (for a life sentence). There's nothing else I can do," said long-time Berry friend Candy Lowe.

Prosecutors called no witnesses in the penalty phase but introduced evidence regarding Berry's prior convictions for burglary and drunken driving.

Prosecutor Pat Hardy urged jurors to impose the death penalty, saying Berry "chose to pick up Mr. Byrd ... chose to beat him down, kick him ... and chain him like an animal to the back of the pickup truck."

Prosecutors pleased with conviction

Texas state troopers on horseback ringed the courthouse after the verdict, but there were few people on the streets of Jasper, a town of 8,000 people 100 miles northeast of Houston.

wtf no death penalty in texas!

Phobia
01-20-2008, 03:49 PM
He was an unfortunate accomplice from everything I've read.

blackhawk
01-20-2008, 04:00 PM
unfortunate a man die!

Lawrence Russell Brewer, 31, Shawn Allen Berry and John William King, both 23, were charged with murder and jailed without bail. Byrd, 49, had been walking home from a niece's bridal shower on a Saturday night and apparently accepted a ride from the defendants. He was last seen riding in the back of the truck, police said. When he was found, he was so badly disfigured that investigators had to use fingerprints to identify him. King and Brewer were covered with tattoos indicating white supremacist beliefs, and all three had spent time in prison, where they apparently had ties to the KKK and the Aryan Nation.

blackhawk
01-20-2008, 04:24 PM
milkman
As I understand it, in the old west, horse thieves and cattle rustlers were lynched, and unless I was grossly misinformed, there actually a couple of white folks that committed those crimes.

June 7
*On this date in 1998, a Black man was dragged to his death in Jasper, Texas.

Deberg_1990
01-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Didnt this happen in the early 1990's??

and wasnt it the case that partially inspired the book "A Time to Kill" ??

blackhawk
01-20-2008, 05:00 PM
"A Time to Kill" ??

In Canton, Mississippi, 10-year-old Tonya Hailey is viciously brutalized by two white racist rednecks -- James Louis "Pete" Willard and Billy Ray Cobb. Almost immediately after Tonya is found and rushed to a hospital, Pete and Billy Ray are found at a roadside bar, where they had been bragging about what they did to Tonya.

FAX
01-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Am I understanding this correctly? This guy was so afraid of his friends that he couldn't help the black kid? Convince them to stop? Go for help? Instead, he stood by while they dragged the kid to death?

Is that basically it?

FAX

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
i need to know more before i can reply

siberian khatru
01-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Breaking news from Nov. 18, 1999.