PDA

View Full Version : KCChiefs.com: 8/1 Conversation with Trent Green

keg in kc
08-01-2001, 02:55 PM
Q & A with QB Trent Green (http://kcchiefs.com/latest/mainnews.asp?storyID=2306&cat=14) - August 1, 2001

Q: Youíve had the one full season and this year youíre coming off an injury. Your thoughts on staying healthy and if you have any worries ?

GREEN: "Iím very excited. In í98 when I started in Washington I went into camp as the third (QB). After week one I was named the starter. So, it was quite a big change in a short time period. Coming into camp as the (#) one and establishing those leadership roles and getting to the players is something I feel comfortable with. Itís something I did in í99 when I went to St. Louis. I donít plan on getting injured this year. Iím looking forward to the challenges in, what I feel, is potentially the toughest division top to bottom. When you look at the Raiders, Denver, Seattle, and San Diego Ė the off-season moves Ė and the Chiefs with Coach VermeilÖitís going to be a fun and exciting year. Kansas City hasnít been to the playoffs for a couple of years and they were close a couple of years ago. Coach Vermeil really gets guys thinking about what this team can accomplish."

Q: Is this your offense now ?

GREEN: "Now that Iím able to be out on the field more. Mini-camp is always restricted to the number of reps I can get. In the last few days and being part of the huddle Ė thereís so much that goes into thatÖ. Thatís been set."

Q: Are you comfortable with the pace of your practice right now ?

GREEN: "Definitely, Iím ahead of schedule. If you would have talked to me a couple of months ago the plan was originally to practice once a day and spend the rest of the day rehabbing. The fact that Iím able to practice twice a day, still work in all my rehab, limits the amount of down time I have. Iím willing to put in those hours."

Q: Since youíve been here, have the players taken to you ?

GREEN: "One, it comes with the position. As the quarterback, youíre always the one talking in the huddle. That commands everybodyís attention. The fact that I came in and this is a new offense and knowing the coaches, thereís a common bond. Al (Saunders) and I have talked extensively about some of the things we would like to do with the offense. The way Iím able to talk to the other players and help them learn it anyway I can, I want to do. Not only being in the position, but that Iím able to communicate with them as well as I have, helps to establish that."

Q: Speed at the receiver position in St. Louis was tremendous. You donít have that here. How much does that hamper you with this offense and what canít you do ?

GREEN: "This offense is able to do a lot of different things. When you look at the history of it all the way from San Diego back with Winslow, Fouts and our coach Charlie Joiner. All the way through itís been developed and used in different ways. Thereís been a lot of attention placed on it the last couple of years because of what St. Louis has been able to do with the four-wide receiver set. The receiving corps there is a track team. But you can be very successful with this offense doing different things especially with the weapon of Tony Gonzalez at tight end. You look at Dallas in the early Ď90s with Jay Novacek running this offense. He was very productive and put up big numbers doing that. We are going to have to find, from a wideout standpoint, how to pick it up. You look at day one and then yesterdayís (practice), thereís been huge strides made at the wide receiver position. I think theyíre feeling more comfortable not only with the routes but understanding the hots and sight adjustments, protection responsibilities, the timing thatís involved, when Iím going to throw the ball, when the other quarterbacks are. We are still going to have a lot of success with the offense. Are we going to be that vertical passing game that St. Louis has ? Probably not. But weíre going to be very successful with a lot of our underneath stuff. When we do need to hit the big play, weíre going to be able to do it."

Q: Is there any one receiver whoís caught your eye ?

GREEN: "Derrick (Alexander) has had very good practices for the last two (days). Snoop (Minnis) has played well and Iíve really stressed to him that being a rookie heíll go out and have a good practice. I try to tell him the key to being a professional is doing it day-in-day-out. Youíve got to have consistency. Thatís how you establish yourself in the league and establish yourself with your teammates that you can be counted on. Chris Thomas has played especially well and weíre going to try and utilize him in a number of different ways. "

Q; How does your arm feel ?

GREEN: "I really donít think about. I didnít last season. People had a hard time believing that. But once you get out in the pocket and are making your reads and the adrenalineís going, you donít really think about it. I feel good physically, am happy with the way training camp is going in terms of the number of throws. I was throwing and working out and spent the whole month before camp continuing to throw and workout prior to camp. I feel very prepared. .Itís paid off by the fact that I am doing two-a-days instead of the planned one-a-day and everything has reacted well."

htismaqe
08-01-2001, 03:12 PM
Sounds like Chris Thomas might be making a move to get himself noticed, he does have some experience and we need it...

Having the starting quarterback call you out and pat you on the back is a pretty big deal when you're fighting for a spot...

keg in kc
08-01-2001, 03:17 PM
I've heard Thomas' name mentioned a couple of other times this week too, Parker. I believe both Dick Vermeil and Adam Teicher have talked about him (in passing, not in detail) in interviews this week.

DaWolf
08-01-2001, 03:39 PM
I hope the media actually listen to Trent about what this offense is going to be, instead of blindly trying to make comparisons with what it was in St Louis, in which case we would do nothing but fail in comparison. We can be effective in our own Kansas City way...

GREEN: "This offense is able to do a lot of different things. When you look at the history of it all the way from San Diego back with Winslow, Fouts and our coach Charlie Joiner. All the way through it°¶s been developed and used in different ways. There°¶s been a lot of attention placed on it the last couple of years because of what St. Louis has been able to do with the four-wide receiver set. The receiving corps there is a track team. But you can be very successful with this offense doing different things especially with the weapon of Tony Gonzalez at tight end. You look at Dallas in the early °•90s with Jay Novacek running this offense. He was very productive and put up big numbers doing that. We are going to have to find, from a wideout standpoint, how to pick it up. You look at day one and then yesterday°¶s (practice), there°¶s been huge strides made at the wide receiver position. I think they°¶re feeling more comfortable not only with the routes but understanding the hots and sight adjustments, protection responsibilities, the timing that°¶s involved, when I°¶m going to throw the ball, when the other quarterbacks are. We are still going to have a lot of success with the offense. Are we going to be that vertical passing game that St. Louis has ? Probably not. But we°¶re going to be very successful with a lot of our underneath stuff. When we do need to hit the big play, we°¶re going to be able to do it."

everyone's mom
08-01-2001, 03:53 PM
Amen

Are you listening Procter?

KCJohnny
08-02-2001, 05:42 AM
I'm listening, and TG is saying all the right things. I am still concerned about his durability.
I think the real mastermind to watch here (if there is one) is Al Saunders. He soldiered under Marty for a decade of winning football and has a LOT of respect for Marty. Al is too smart to try to do what the Rams did with the artificial conditions of the dome here on grass in Arrowhead. I look for a lot of razzle dazzle in the first half and then straight up maulball in the 4th quarter if the Chiefs have a lead. One thing is sure; this team is built for power more than speed. I think Saunders knows that. And I think his years under Marty will pay off in a big way. I am happy to say that this offense will NOT be a Rams West copy. I could be wrong. This offense will have to play outdoors in December (and hopefully January) and that means rushing and defense.

Trent Green will have every chance to prove he is the leader of this team in ways that no QB since Montana have had. All the Chiefs QBs have been on leashes of varying lengths since DeBerg. Green will be allowed to lead and make plays. I predict a much more virile version of the typical execution of the Air-Coryell system. Closer to Dallas than StL, and closer to a true pounding ground attack when in the lead.

KCJ

philfree
08-02-2001, 08:52 AM
This is a good Q & A and I like what Trent as to say about this offense and being a team leader. Especially when compared to something like this: After checking into the Baltimore Ravens' team hotel, the eight-year pro felt like a rookie again.

"I had to find out where the meeting rooms were, where to go, who to sit with in the cafeteria," he said. "Thank goodness I didn't have to sing, because I can't sing at all." - Elvis Grbac

Elvis sounds more like a Freshman school girl being rushed by the Tri Delts then he does a NFL QB. What a joke!

PhilFree :cool:

Logical
08-02-2001, 09:44 AM
KCJ,

I believe I told you what Green just said about AirCoryell style and what you just basically said clear back in April. I am glad you are coming around but you were a slow learner ;)

Every team with a lead tries to play Maulball in the 4th Qtr its just that a team with Marshall Faulk or Edgerrin James does not look like it is playing maulball.

Giving Marty credit for Saunders offensive philosophy is bogus though Coryell gets that credit my friend!

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 10:07 AM
I won't be razzle dazzle, and it won't be maul-ball...

When I think of "Marty maul-ball" I think of Donnell Bennett running up the gut 3 times in a row -- IN THE 1ST QUARTER.

Marty tried "maul-ball" in the 4th quarter to protect a 3 point DEFICIT!

Saunders learned his craft from Coryell, not Marty...Our offense this year won't be fancy, but it will be aggressive, and you won't see "maul-ball"...we might run the ball to protect a 14-point lead in the 4th, but it won't all be up-the-gut either...

KCTitus
08-02-2001, 10:50 AM
did everyone hear that Marty signed KiJana Carter? Im sure S. Davis is loving the RBBC approach.

KCJohnny
08-02-2001, 11:00 AM
You guys must be talking about some other Al Saunders.
Saunders was asked about Minnis the other day and remarked about how rough he was at this time. He then mentioned his years under Marty and praised Schottenheimer as one of the finest coaches he had ever worked for at any level and one who had taught him a great deal.

You guys just go ahead and deny the fact that Al Saunders coached under Marty for a winning decade. Denial is a coping mechanism, I understand that.

This will not be your sexy-new-wave-thank-heavens-Gun'n'Marty-are-gone team. It will evolve into a more traditional Chiefs outfit by season's end. And that is good, IMO.

And what will you all say if the Skins beat the Chiefs head-to-head?

KCJ

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 11:00 AM
think the real mastermind to watch here (if there is one) is Al Saunders.

Yep.

And I think his years under Marty will pay off in a big way. I am happy to say that this offense will NOT be a Rams West copy.

Nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY has called this a "Rams West copy" but you. And his years under Don Coryell are what will pay off. Marty works on the defensive side, but there's nothing to be garnered from his offensive philosophy except for a detailed tutorial about what you don't want to do in January, when everything is on the line. Painful to hear, I know, but just as painfully accurate.

The world does not revolve around St. Louis. It never has. Wanting speed at skill positions doesn't mean we're trying to be like the Rams. St. Louis doesn't hold exclusive rights to the term "attacking offense". Wanting mobile, athletic linemen doesn't mean we're going to cover Arrowhead with a dome and change our unis to soft pastels.

Leave the misperceptions to the ignorant masses who follow the national media. Kansas City Chiefs fans should be intelligent enough and informed enough to understand what's going on here. We're building an identity for ourselves, and maybe that is like the Rams in a way - nobody respected them before 1999, and that's exactly the same boat we're in.

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 11:06 AM
And what will you all say if the Skins beat the Chiefs head-to-head?

I'll grit my teeth, hold my temper in, congratulate the 'skins on a hard fought win and say "we'll get you next time."

Just like any other loss...

And this game is more personal for me than it is for most; a lot is on the line. First of all, I've despised the D.C. dogs for a long, long, long time. Way before Marty. Second, my soon-to-be parents-in-law will be visiting that weekend (a week before my wedding) and they just happen to live in the city of Fairfax, in northern Virginia. They're bigtime 'skins fans.

This game doesn't revolve around Marty for me. It's not Vermeil vs. Marty, it's Chiefs vs. Redskins, plain and simple. And we'd better win (they can have the game a week from Sunday...).

How about this question: what will YOU say if the Chiefs win in Washington?

KCTitus
08-02-2001, 11:08 AM
Denial aint just a river in Egypt either. Of course, KC had a 'winning decade' the only problem was that the winning stopped when winning became the utmost importance.

Going 13-3 in the regular season only to lay an egg in the playoffs may suffice for you John, but it's unsat to me.

The Bad Guy
08-02-2001, 11:25 AM
I think the real mastermind to watch here (if there is one) is Al Saunders. He soldiered under Marty for a decade of winning football and has a LOT of respect for Marty. Al is too smart to try to do what the Rams did with the artificial conditions of the dome here on grass in Arrowhead.

Before he even took a position on Schottenheimers staff, Saunders was a coach on one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history with the San Diego Chargers under Don Coryell.

This is from KCChiefs.com

He joined the Chargers in '83 as receivers coach in what was one of the most exiting and prolific pass offenses in NFL history. Behind Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts and the Chargers electrifying receiving corps coached by Saunders, San Diego led the league in passing yardage in '83 and '85.

Those Coryell teams didn't play on any artificial conditions did they Proctor?

Just because Saunders had to watch his receivers become severely underused during the Schottenheimer tenure, doesn't mean he will transform this team back into the old stale Chiefs.

You keep grasping at straws don't you Proctor?

Get over it, maulball is dead.

When you realize this, the healing can begin.

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 12:21 PM
This will not be your sexy-new-wave-thank-heavens-Gun'n'Marty-are-gone team

It already is! Just read what the players are saying...what were they saying in 98, or last year? The players haven't been this upbeat since Montana and Marcus showed up in camp in 93.

Face it, Proctor, the smashmouth style may just be a thing of the past...as it should be...

KCJohnny
08-02-2001, 03:23 PM
Face it, Proctor, the smashmouth style may just be a thing of the past...as it should be...

Hahahahaha!!!!

Check your 'Power Poll' Parker!
The Top 3 teams on YOUR website are Baltimore, Tennessee, and Tampa Bay!
Smashmouth is dead!
Hooray!:D
KCJ
Uniformed dinosaur who just doesn't get it (along with Brian Billick)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2001, 03:27 PM
Proctor,

I don't think the Ravens are mauling this year, thats why they went out and got Grbac, if I'm not mistaken.

The Bad Guy
08-02-2001, 03:28 PM
Proctor,

I can't speak for Parker, but I can safely say the reason those 3 teams are ranked so high is because of their defense.

If you consider Warrick Dunn smashmouth than your more dillusional than I once thought.

KC's defense can't even be mentioned in the same breath as those defenses.

Just give it up already. Your trying to cling onto just about anything that could signal that mauball will have an extended stay in KC.

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 03:33 PM
Johnny,

You're confusing effective blending of rushing and passing with running Donnell Bennett up the gut for 2 yards three times in a row...

I should have made it more clear..."Martyball" is dead, at least in KC. I guess Washington still has to worry about it. It's a shame, they have a great back in Stephen Davis...and Ki'Jana Carter, and Michael Bates, and Donnell Bennett, and the other SIX running backs he's added to the roster...

The big difference between Tennessee and Martyball? Eddie George...not only is he good, they don't take him out after a 19 yard scamper! Wow, what a novel idea...

Baltimore won it all with a power running game, but it still featured ONE RUNNING BACK. Combine that with one of the best defenses ever (rail all you want about the "vaunted" Chiefs of the 90's, they never came close to being as good as the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens) and an effective passing game and you have a Super Bowl champion that looks nothing like a Marty-run team.

BTW, I haven't participated in the power poll yet, and this isn't MY site...

milkman
08-02-2001, 08:01 PM
Johnny,
I've told you this before, and I'm going to keep pounding it into that thick skull and hope that you get it some day.

The difference between Billick's maulball and Martyball is NADS

Billick has some. He took chances, even with a QB he had very little confidence in, and enough of them paid off to get the Ravens a championship.
Yes, the Ravens D is great, but without the offense putting a few points on the board, they don't win. Period.

Marty never had any nads. He played as if he was afraid to lose, hense the play not to lose style he is so famous for.

Martyball is cowardly.
Your freakin' idol is a little ****, with no nads.

KCJohnny
08-03-2001, 05:45 AM
Well!
We seem to have hit a nerve here!
Baltimore
Tennessee
Tampa Bay

Don't blame me!
This ain't my poll!

Whether this fits your definition of "smashmouth", "Maulball", or what I call FOOTBALL, these teams are not your sexy new-wave dome-dancers like StL and Minny.

As for Marty, in his last playoff game as a Chief, Grbac threw for 260 yds as opposed to Elway who threw for 163. So, maybe the Chiefs would have been better off running more...who knows...

KCJ
Can't wait for the TWO Chiefs Redskins games...
GO CHIEFS!!!!!!

htismaqe
08-03-2001, 07:41 AM
Well!
We seem to have hit a nerve here!

If you think you're really getting to me, keep patting yourself on the back. I'm merely pointing out your flawed way of thinking.

Baltimore
Tennessee
Tampa Bay

Don't blame me!
This ain't my poll!

Nor is it mine...like I said I haven't even voted. And, as I explained and you, in typical fashion, avoided -- I don't consider any of those teams "maulballers"...

Whether this fits your definition of "smashmouth", "Maulball", or what I call FOOTBALL, these teams are not your sexy new-wave dome-dancers like StL and Minny.

What you call FOOTBALL loses in the big game, period. This is the 21st century, and if we want to win a Super Bowl, we have to give up what you call FOOTBALL.

I never compared these teams to Minn or St Louis, they're not the same, and of course, NEITHER ARE THE CHIEFS.

All you hear from Vermeil is the references to St. Louis but you continually fail to notice Vermeil's takes on the defense and the power running game.

Like I said, there's a difference between what YOU like and what those 3 teams are. I think milkman explained it quite adequately -- it's the difference between playing to win and playing not to lose...

As for Marty, in his last playoff game as a Chief, Grbac threw for 260 yds as opposed to Elway who threw for 163. So, maybe the Chiefs would have been better off running more...who knows...

We would have lost anyway. MARTY CAN'T WIN THE BIG GAME AND HE'S GONE BECAUSE OF IT. Give it up already.

Can't wait for the TWO Chiefs Redskins games...
GO CHIEFS!!!!!!

We ALL know you wanted to say GO REDSKINS! Johnny, you would like nothing better to see Marty win those games, just so you could say I told you so. However, beating the Chiefs means nothing to me. Let's see where Marty is in January. My bet is he's sitting at home, WATCHING the playoffs, due to 2 losses to the 2-12 Cowboys...

This will probably be my last post on the subject. Convincing you that things change, sometimes for the better, is like trying to teach a bowl of jello to fetch.

Fat Elvis
08-03-2001, 09:36 AM
Haha-

Bob Dole is pudden head...

Proctor is jello head....

Proctor may have a new nickname....

LMT
08-03-2001, 09:43 AM
John,

I somehow don't see this evolving into a more traditional Chiefs outfit by seasons end. DV has a plan to get us to the Super Bowl, and it may take more than one year to do it. He has already said we need to upgrade the players to have the offense where he wants it. I really expect us to stay within the overall frame of the system, then add players to it next year with draft choices and the 19 million of dead cap money that will be available.

LMT