PDA

View Full Version : Daily Senior Bowl Coverage

NIUhuskies
01-21-2008, 10:15 PM
This is a cool site for any of you that are keeping up with the draft and player workouts. It has all of the weigh-in info and descriptions, as well as daily practice updates on who is impressing and who is looking terrible. Also it has updates on what teams are taking an interest in what players which is kinda intreresting

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/index.html

suds79
01-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the link.

Surprised to see Sedrick Ellis weigh in at 308. He was previously listed at 285 all year long.

That's a big, big difference.

I'm looking forwarding to seeing some of the QBs & OTs play.

It should be good.

bdeg
01-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Chiefs spotted talking to DT Kentwan Balmer and Owen Schmitt.

Chiefnj2
01-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Ellis should solidify a top 8 pick. He's bigger than expected, plus it's a poor year for interior offensive linemen. He should have a field day all week.

philfree
01-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Chiefs spotted talking to DT Kentwan Balmer and Owen Schmitt.

I'm a little leary of Balmer. He could be next great DT fron UNC folllowing in the foot steps of the great Ryan Simms.

PhilFree:arrow:

bdeg
01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm a little of Balmer. He could be next great DT fron UNC folllowing in the foot steps of the great Ryan Simms.

To be honest I don't know anything about him. I think if we take a DT we do it with our first pick due to the value. I'm not too interested in mid-round DT projects that will take a year or two to develop, we've already got a couple.

But if he's the BPA at our second pick maybe he could come in and start from day one. It'll be nice having an early second.

Brock
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
They may as well spend their second round pick on Schmitt. At least they'd be virtually guaranteed a guy who can play immediately.

bdeg
01-22-2008, 09:34 AM
They may as well spend their second round pick on Schmitt. At least they'd be virtually guaranteed a guy who can play immediately.
If we don't get Jake Long with our first, we pretty much have to take the best tackle with our second. Great chance it will be good value too.

Brock
01-22-2008, 09:36 AM
They don't have to take any particular position. This team needs help literally everywhere.

bdeg
01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
OT is a lot more of a hole that needs a starter from this draft.

We can definitely get by another year with Boomer. I'd love to have Schmitt and think he'll make a great NFL player, but I don't know if we can afford it with the more critical positions we need filled.

CB is also a huge need.

We should draft a fast FS and move Page to nickel. I think Pollard could survive in coverage if he had someone fast to back him up. And Page was an interception machine at nickel his rookie year.

TRR
01-22-2008, 09:53 AM
OT is a lot more of a hole that needs a starter from this draft.

We can definitely get by another year with Boomer. I'd love to have Schmitt and think he'll make a great NFL player, but I don't know if we can afford it with the more critical positions we need filled.

CB is also a huge need.

We should draft a fast FS and move Page to nickel. I think Pollard could survive in coverage if he had someone fast to back him up. And Page was an interception machine at nickel his rookie year.

I agree with your first couple of points. However, it takes time for a young safety tandem to gel. Why ruin a growing unit? I realize that Pollard and Page have let some big plays happen. However, they have also made some game changing plays as well. That's all a part of two young players playing together. Leave them where they are at!

bdeg
01-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I had high hopes for them last season, but I don't know if they're going to cut it. I expect them both to improve and I think Pollard fits the SS role, but Page may not have the speed to play FS.

They were targeted and exploited nearly every game.

*And for Page's size(we have the heaviest safeties in the league), he's not a good tackler.

suds79
01-22-2008, 09:58 AM
If we don't get Jake Long with our first, we pretty much have to take the best tackle with our second. Great chance it will be good value too.

Very true.

And I think we're fine with Boomer. Bring in some FA FB to battle it out with him.

But you do not draft FBs.

T-Rich and Lorenzo Neal were both undrafted. Those type of guys can be found in FA

TRR
01-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I had high hopes for them last season, but I don't know if they're going to cut it. I expect them both to improve and I think Pollard fits the SS role, but Page may not have the speed to play FS.

*And for Page's size(we have the heaviest safeties in the league), he's not a good tackler.

Like I said, this season was the first they have ever played together fully. A young safety tandem is like having two young WR's playing at the same time. There is going to be some growing pains.

bdeg
01-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Page may eventually improve his tackling, and their play-reading skills should improve with more play time, but having a faster safety would cover a lot of mistakes.

Frankie
01-22-2008, 01:16 PM
This is a cool site for any of you that are keeping up with the draft and player workouts. It has all of the weigh-in info and descriptions, as well as daily practice updates on who is impressing and who is looking terrible. Also it has updates on what teams are taking an interest in what players which is kinda intreresting

Link works but the links inside (Practice Report, etc.) don't.

suds79
01-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Page may eventually improve his tackling, and their play-reading skills should improve with more play time, but having a faster safety would cover a lot of mistakes.

I know thus far neither guy is great but what's with Page getting the majority of it???

Thus far in their career, he's been twice the player IMO than Pollard. Page has knack for getting INTs.

Plus he came to us cheap being a late round draft guy... Where you should ideally draft your Safties.

cookster50
01-22-2008, 01:32 PM

Dude, isn't WPI coverage better?

Hammock Parties
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
I noticed they didn't say much about Martin Rucker. Nick said he was absolutely dominant yesterday.

Chiefnj2
01-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I noticed they didn't say much about Martin Rucker. Nick said he was absolutely dominant yesterday.

Can he see the field clearly with Carl's yam sack banging off his eyebrows?

pikesome
01-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Can he see the field clearly with Carl's yam sack banging off his eyebrows?
:LOL:

bowener
01-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Given our awesome power house offense we had last year, our safties would/should have been a liability on the D. When the O goes 3 and out 4 drives in a row, and the D cant get the opposition of the field, the WR's can go deep time after time and wear out our secondary, especially big heavy safties... so maybe with an improved OL and better play calling we can keep our D off the field and keep them all rested up.

bowener
01-22-2008, 02:33 PM
My brother texted me this moring while I was in class to tell me he shook hands with rob ryan and andy reid (larger in person), and he was standing by monte kiffin, mike tomlin, sean peyton, and drew rosenhaus.

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Does anyone remember the Dtackle who was really good at Senior Bowl last season?

Wasn't it Membane who plays for the Seahawks now?
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2004099117_hawk30.html

The website credits DT Sedrick Ellis.

Coogs
01-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Here is an update for the North from today...

January 22, 2008
Senior Bowl - Tuesday North Practice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Wright
President, NFL Draft Countdown

It was pretty overcast at Ladd-Peebles Stadium this morning but still a little warmer that it was yesterday. For the first time this week the North squad practiced in full pads today and there was a noticeable difference in the intensity, with a lot of big hits delivered throughout the session. As always there were a lot of interesting matchups today and if you're a fan of watching the big uglies in the trenches then this is your team and once again the offensive tackles were impressive.

• Yesterday USC defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis showed off his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield and today he showed he could be just as effective against the run. Ellis has looked every bit the part of a Top 10 pick so far.

• I continue to be impressed with Nebraska offensive tackle Carl Nicks, who looks like a great natural athlete despite his massive size but he is still raw and plays too high at times.

• Boston College offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus may be a very large man but he also moves his feet well.

• Indiana cornerback Tracy Porter was okay yesterday but he was even better today, jumping a route to intercept a Joe Flacco pass in 7-on-7's on a play that would have been a "Pick 6" in a real game. He also did a nice job of sticking with his guy in coverage.

• USC offensive guard Drew Radovich stood out today, playing real physical and displaying a strong initial punch and some pop.

• Penn St. linebacker Dan Connor had a mixed day. On one run play he couldn't shed a Mike Pollak block and was neutralized but later he separated Marcus Smith from the ball with a big hit in coverage.

• Once again none of the North quarterbacks really stood out. USC's John David Booty and Delaware's Joe Flacco looked pretty average and the best of the bunch today was Michigan's Chad Henne. Overall though I am still waiting for one of these guys to step up.

• Iowa cornerback Charles Godfrey had another nice day in coverage, even drawing praise from Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan for his efforts in 7-on-7's.

• The nightmare continues for Oklahoma St. wideout Adarius Bowman, who seems to be dropping more balls than he is catching. Then when he finally did catch one in 11-on-11's he fumbled! At this point it's more of a confidence issue than anything else and it was clear he is very frustrated right now. New Mexico's Marcus Smith also had a couple more drops today and afterward hit the ground for some pushups.

• Michigan St. tight end Kellen Davis looked awfully good, making a nice catch in 11-on-11's and showing some aggressiveness as a blocker in positional drills.

• One of the surprises of the week for me so far has been California wide receiver Lavelle Hawkins, who followed up a strong first day with another terrific showing. Hawkins made at least a couple of impressive catches, although he had some issues with rounding off his routes.

• Purdue's Cliff Avril struggles at the point of attack and was physically dominated on more than one occasion. Granted he is going up against some excellent offensive tackles but it's becoming clear to me that his best fit at the next level will come as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

• The transition to linebacker continues for Bruce Davis of UCLA, although he did flash a couple of times and made some nice tackles including one in space.

• Notre Dame safety Tom Zbikowski laid a bit hit on Justin Forsett toward the end of practice.

• USC linebacker Keith Rivers is real vocal on the field and had another strong showing. On one play he got good pressure on the quarterback after avoiding a block on a blitz.

• Nevada linebacker Beau Bell got dinged up and was down on the field for a few minutes but was able to walk off under his own power.

• Michigan's Shawn Crable delivered a big hit on Owen Schmitt today.

• Oklahoma St. running back Dantrell Savage isn't very big but he showed some toughness running inside today.

• East Carolina's Chris Johnson, Indiana's Tracy Porter, Purdue's Dorien Bryant, Virginia Tech's Eddie Royal, Colorado's Terrence Wheatley and Lavelle Hawkins and Justin Forsett, both of Cal, worked as kick returners.

• Boston College's DeJuan Tribble struggled to keep up with the wideouts in coverage today.

• Michigan safety Jamar Adams did a nice job in coverage, showing the ability to hold his own against smaller, quicker wideouts.

• Kansas St. wide receiver Jordy Nelson beat USC's Terrell Thomas for a touchdown today but that may have been more of a case of Thomas struggling than Nelson excelling.

• Cal running back Justin Forsett displayed nice vision and cut-back ability today.

• Oregon St. kicker Alexis Serna showed he has 50+ yard range and he hit all of his attempts at the end of practice.

• It's a position that doesn't get a lot of attention but Indiana long-snapper Tim Bugg has been very accurate and is definitely a draftable prospect.

All in all there weren't necessarily any performances that just blew you away today but there were a lot of guys who did a solid job and helped themselves. Going forward I think the big storyline will continue to be the offensive linemen on the North team and in my four years of coming down here this is probably the most impressive group as a whole that I have seen. That's another day down for the North but there is still plenty more to come so be sure to check back for all the latest from Mobile as NFL Draft Countdown's unparallel coverage of the Senior Bowl continues.

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Must read. Notice both Okoye and Membane were slighted for stopping the run but got penetration with great quickness. underline quickness.

http://www.calfootballfan.com/2007/01/24/hughes-mebane-standouts-in-senior-bowl/

bdeg
01-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I know thus far neither guy is great but what's with Page getting the majority of it???

Thus far in their career, he's been twice the player IMO than Pollard. Page has knack for getting INTs.

Plus he came to us cheap being a late round draft guy... Where you should ideally draft your Safties.
You're right, Page probably has shown more, but I think we can get away with having one SS who's not great in coverage if he's matched with a faster player who is.

I am kinda picking on him, but I also think Pollard has more upside and could eventually fit the system better.
And if you'll remember, Page made a lot more plays while he was playing nickel. If we moved him there I think he would be more the playmaker he was his rookie season.

*The way I was thinking, Page would still be on the field a lot. He can make more plays when he doesn't have to worry about being the last line of defense.

Given our awesome power house offense we had last year, our safties would/should have been a liability on the D. When the O goes 3 and out 4 drives in a row, and the D cant get the opposition of the field, the WR's can go deep time after time and wear out our secondary, especially big heavy safties... so maybe with an improved OL and better play calling we can keep our D off the field and keep them all rested up.

Good point.

philfree
01-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Isn't Pollard the guy whho has like 3 or 4 blockes on punts and FGs? Those are huge plays in any game.