PDA

View Full Version : Whatdya think about this as a honeymoon?

keg in kc
08-01-2001, 05:44 PM
We're considering flying to Denver and watching the Chiefs play their first game in the diaphragm. Tracy's idea, not mine!!

HC_Chief
08-01-2001, 05:55 PM
I like my idea more: a week in San Diego(late June/early July) ;)

But hey, that's just me, ya know? If cold-*** weather and 70k drunkin donkey fans floats your boat... :p

keg in kc
08-01-2001, 05:58 PM
HC, the wedding's on October 6th, so I don't have much flexibility...

HC_Chief
08-01-2001, 06:01 PM
Good time to hit Florida! Seriously - usually only locals and a few British tourists on 'holliday' then

It would be pretty sweet to go to the Denver/KC game at MHII - but I would have to follow it up with warm weather. :)

keg in kc
08-01-2001, 06:08 PM
I'm unique HC in that I absolutely hate beaches/warm climates. I love the mountains, I love cooler weather, and, probably even more in favor of Denver, I love to see places I've never seen before. Denver I've never seen, but Florida and/or California are old hat to me.

This is probably the only shot I have at seeing a Chiefs game live this fall too...

As for going to Denver and then going somewhere else, well, our budget simply makes that impossible. :(

Seriously, though, if there's any legit reasons that I should not consider doing Denver, let me know...

Brock
08-01-2001, 06:20 PM
The problem with Denver.....is that it is full of people from Denver.

Logical
08-01-2001, 07:09 PM
No offense but it seems like it would be saying the marriage is a formality and therefore not worthy of the traditional romantic honeymoon. But, got to love a gal like you are marrying for making the suggestion.

If I was well established and new my future wife well enough I might accept, but if I had any doubts at all I would suggest something a little more romantic.

One other suggestion is offer up doing the whole romantic rustic mountain scenario without the game. If she suggests the game again you know for sure it is not just a sacrifice for you. JMO

HC_Chief
08-01-2001, 07:12 PM
Denver is actually a very fun town. A few college buds & I took a road trip there - spent a week partying. Hot clubs - hot women ;)

Cool thing is you can hang in the city or hop in your car - after a 30 minute drive, you're in the mountains. Only an hour or so from Breckenridge... good skiing there man

keg in kc
08-01-2001, 07:22 PM
Jim, I've lived with my fiance for 4 years, and the marriage basically is a formality (oops, did I just say that ;)). As for tradition, well, we're having the ceremony in our back yard with 8-10 people in attendence. And, no, this isn't a shotgun wedding and she's not pregnant, we're just laid-back people. Like I said, we've lived together for a while already, and I know her well enough to know that she wouldn't have suggested it if she didn't want to do it (plus I asked her point-blank just to make sure...).

We've traveled together to more "romantic" places a few times already, and I think we really are more interested in just doing something "fun" as opposed to something "romantic". It's basically the equivalent of a vacation for her, and (fingers crossed) a dual celebration for me, with the wedding and (finally) finishing my book.

We are, however, planning on taking a second honeymoon to Hawaii sometime down the road. We're also going on a cruise in Alaska next year as my parents celebrate their 40th anniversary, so we'll get some more unique travel then, as well. :)

Logical
08-01-2001, 08:08 PM
Keg,

Truthfully I figured as much but was being emotionally correct in my suggestions just in case.

In your case that football game ought to be a blast.

By the way is that book submitted, or is the lawn not the only thing you are procrastinating on? :p :D :eek:

keg in kc
08-01-2001, 09:21 PM
Jim, to be perfectly blunt and/or honest, I wouldn't say I've procrastinated on the book, but I certainly am not content with the amount of work I've done. Then again, I probably never will be - I'm very, very hard on myself, and I'm still having problems with self-doubt; a lot of people tell me I have the skills to write a book, but the one person who doesn't necessarily always believe in me is me. There are too many days when I get so frustrated or so down that I just want to quit. I don't think I've talked much about this on here, but I have a long standing self-esteem/sef-image problem. That's improved a lot over the last month or so, however, as I have worked hard to get back into shape.

All-in-all though, the biggest challenge is that I've been doing an awful lot of things lately and I'm not leaving myself enough time to write every day. I'm stuck with repairing/repainting the house and landscaping the yard, all things that have to be done prior to the wedding, just like the book. All-in-all though, I'm pretty happy with where I am right now - I really feel like I'm getting something done every day, and that's been an important change for me.

I'm not really very comfortable talking too much about all of this, but let's just say I seem to be doing a lot better. ;)

Logical
08-01-2001, 09:39 PM
Keg,

Friend I can understand self doubt. But if I may, the best thing you can do is finish and let some people you trust not to steal your thoughts read it and give you feedback. It also needs to be people you trust to be brutally honest. I would volunteer but facing reality I am just a faceless person you write back and forth to on the Internet, so I would advise against that because in the opposite situation I would not know how I could trust that faceless identity. If you wanted to send me pieces that do not reveal the whole I think I could be a tough critic I would be willing but only you know.

The one thing I can tell you is you need to give yourself permission to believe in yourself. Everything I know about you says you are smart, savy, and a potentially talented writer (from what I can tell from your posts) but you fail as a finisher. That last trait can be fatal longterm, especially in the profession of writing where you will need to be able to deal with rejection and fight on to finish what you have started.

Several people on this BB have received and accepted offers of help from me in the past and I always maintain their privacy while trying to help. If you ever wish to turn to me for any type of support, please feel free. I know you have the talent, you just need to believe in yourself. I also know this is a hard thing with out honest criticism and positive strokes. Seek them out I think you will know where to find them if you really look.

Best of Luck,

Jim

keg in kc
08-01-2001, 09:57 PM
Jim, I appreciate it and I'll keep you in mind, because that was exactly my plan all along (to finish and then give it to some folks, that - that will be tough, but criticism is a part of the game if I choose to play).

You're right though, about another thing - the number one thing I have to do is finish.

You're a pretty observant guy. In all sincerity, thanks for the advice.

dtebbe
08-01-2001, 11:21 PM
Hey, if she's a fan too, what the hell! A suggestion.. Fly to Denver, take in the game, then take Amtrak to Salt Lake City (get a nice sleeper car) and then fly out of SLC back to KC. The airfare won't really cost that much more and you just won't believe what you will see going thru the rockies on that train..... and you can take that any way you want :)

DT

tommykat
08-01-2001, 11:50 PM
Kyle,
If she suggested it go for it........but.......take a LIMO from the Airport with Champagne and flower petals scattered all over the seats. And have matching jersey's to wear. HUM, sounds pretty romantic to me.;)