PDA

View Full Version : D. Alexander sits out, again

everyone's mom
08-02-2001, 12:43 PM
2nd missed practice with a sore achilles.

Sounds like something that could linger through the season. Though, Hasty had the same thing last year and managed to play.

We'd be toast without Alexander.

KCTitus
08-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Not only that but Horne is nursing a sore hammy. These two things will nag all year Im afraid.

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 12:48 PM
I'm not gonna worry too much about minor stuff in week 1. If these guys aren't going a week or ten days from now, then I might think it's an issue, but not now.

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 01:05 PM
The AT soreness is one not to worry about...

A hamstring injury, though, can be a bear...

FWIW, Koren Robinson seems to have suffered a fairly severe hammy injury over at the Squwaks TC...

JimNasium
08-02-2001, 03:34 PM
This is not a jab at Alexander but I get the feeling that he looks for any reason to miss out on practice. He's a game day player, not a practice player so I'm not overly concerned about it. I had really hoped to hear some things about Sands though. It's not going to happen with him parked on the bench next to Williams though.

tommykat
08-02-2001, 03:49 PM
Jim,
I disagree with what you said about DA sitting out and being a game player. If that was true, then without practices and a lot of them un DV how would DA be where he is today? Also a job??
I have to tell you something else......once in a blue moon Tommykat's claws come out.....rare but happens.;)

JimNasium
08-02-2001, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by tommykat
Jim,
I disagree with what you said about DA sitting out and being a game player. If that was true, then without practices and a lot of them un DV how would DA be where he is today? Also a job??

tommykat,

DA got because he is extremely talented and gifted. It's fairly well established that he's not the greatest practice player. I've heard quotes from Gunther and from Vermeil about his lax practice habits. As far as the claws go.......:eek:

tommykat
08-02-2001, 03:59 PM
Jim,
HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS :p
He is a talented guy......some come natural, but without practices he won't be a CHIEF under DV.

JimNasium
08-02-2001, 04:07 PM
I agree.....DV will demand that he perform on the practice field but I just don't see any of the other guys pushing him out of a starting role. BTW - nice to see a fellow Springfieldian here.

aturnis
08-02-2001, 04:53 PM
Jim is right about DA being a lazy guy in practice....

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 04:55 PM
Don't be so quick to blame this on DA's work habits, though...all indications coming out of camp was that he was actually WORKING this time around...maybe his lack of work before somehow led to this injury because he overexerted, but I honestly think that -- this year -- he's got a legitimate injury...

tommykat
08-02-2001, 05:06 PM
Jim,
Good to see someone from here in Springfield too. DA wouldn't loose his place. But he will be challenged this year like he never has been. That in part I am sure is why he is hurt right now. But nothing to put him out.
Just going on what I read DV. say. You either do it or you are out. I don't care if you are a Chief or not. I like this man more and more.:cool: They needed this........IN THEIR FACE....:p :p

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't necessarly say DA is a gameday guy, either.

Alexander has long had a reputation as a streaky receiver - a guy who'd go nuts one week and then do nothing for 2 or 3. That's where his lazy reputation comes from, actually - his work ethic off the field does effect his onfield word, or rather it has in the past.

Now, he had nice stats in 2000, with 1391 yards and 10 TDs, with 6 100-yard receiving games, but let's look at him historically:

1996 (w/ Balt.): 1099 yards and 9 TDs. 3 100-yard games.
1997 (w/ Balt.): 1009 yards and 9 TDs. 3 100-yard games.
1997 (w/ KC): 992 yards and 4 TDs. 2 100-yard games.
1999: 832 yards and 2 TDs. 4 100-yard games.

He performed well last year, but I've always seen DA as an underachiever and it'll take another consistent year from him to convince me he's better than that...

I will say this, though, based on what I've seen/heard in some interviews, I believe he's a lot more interested in what's going on now, and I really don't think he's just sitting out for the heck of it. All the receivers seem to be genuinely excited with the opportunities in this offense, with more balls in the air, and I think they'll all be involved with perfecting it, including Alexander.

philfree
08-02-2001, 05:32 PM
I don't think DA is and under achiever. He's been in the league 5 years and basically averaged a 1000yds per year with his two least productive years coming (big suprise) with the offensively challenged Chiefs playing "Proctor Ball". I thought he was a decent pick up when we got him but he has exceeded my expectations at this point. Last year he really stepped up in my opinion and he has a chance for even greater things this year. His only real flaw is he drops a catchable ball every now and again and I think that has been a little blown out of proportion.

PhillFree :cool:

Thinks he spelled proportion wrong. Porportion? (shrug)

falstaff
08-02-2001, 05:35 PM
I'd worry more about the KC heat - after the recent Vikings tragedy, the Chiefs need to make sure that D.A. and the others are well hydrated!