PDA

View Full Version : Concerning the Troll last night....

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2001, 11:57 AM
I think it's time to vote fore more Moderators, because of the populance of the website.

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 12:03 PM
More moderators won't gain you anything. Most of us were aware of what was going on and were letting it slide a bit.

There's a fine line between "maintaining" the fun and "killing" it...

gh4chiefs
08-02-2001, 12:04 PM
Hey if someone wants to come on here and make a total idiot of themselves, I say let 'em do it. We can always use the ignore feature if anybody gets tired of a particular troll.

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2001, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by htismaqe
More moderators won't gain you anything. Most of us were aware of what was going on and were letting it slide a bit.

There's a fine line between "maintaining" the fun and "killing" it...

That wasn't fun that was disruptive actions on this BB that the Troll was pulling.

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 12:06 PM
I'm happy with the status quo.

Watching trolls try to speak football is sometimes entertaining and it's fun to play occasionally. I don't want this to be a completely one-sided board, because you don't really learn anything that way.

However, a repeat of last night is something I could do without for a few days at least...

Clint in Wichita
08-02-2001, 12:08 PM
NO CENSORSHIP!!

THAT would make this the KCStar BB.

IMO the only things that should be censored are photos that show genitalia. Not that genitalia bothers me, but I'd be willing to make that one concession. A few beaver shots here and there would certainly liven up the BB during the offseason, wouldn't they?

If you are offended by a topic, use the "ignore" function.

Gaz
You don't need more Moderators.

You need more self-discipline amongst the troops.

That, or you need football to start again…

xoxo~
Gaz
Uses his Inner Ignore Button.

Tribal Warfare
I can bear Trolls who want to talk football, it's individuals who come on the BB looking to flame.

Mark M
I missed all of the excitement last night, and, quite frankly, would hate for this place to ban everyone who comes in here with a different point of view.

If it gets out of hand, then do something (and, after reading about 1/4 of the "indian" thread, I think that it did). Otherwise, let them come.

The best thing we can do is not moderate more, but just ignore the trolls. If we, as regulars, can do that, then trolls won't be an issue ... they'll just fade away. I have problems with that sometimes, and even have gotten used to such in-house trolls as Packfan and RaiderCorporate. I will, however, do everything that I can to not feed them anymore.

MM
~~Retiring as a troll-hunter.

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 12:09 PM
Priority,

Hmmm...it looked like several of our *longstanding* members were having quite a bit of fun to me...in fact, in a discussion I had with Kloster this morning about cleaning it up, he indicated that several people were glad we didn't censor it because they were "having fun"...

I might suggest that one way to kill a troll is to stop feeding them...

MrBlond
08-02-2001, 12:10 PM
Moderators are not needed to kill a thread. No responses will do that just fine. I noticed a lot of respectable members posting on that thread, myself included.

MrBlond
08-02-2001, 12:12 PM
Although I am really not that respectable.

Logical
08-02-2001, 12:14 PM
Not because of last night would I vote for more moderators. Truthfully on reflection I probably would not have pulled the plug on those two without getting some other moderators to agree it was the right thing to do.

It was good to see so much activity on the BB in one short evening, gives me faith the BB is really working well now and that it will handle the traffic on Game days.

I am adding Falstaff to my ignore list for the future, but smaqing him around was a little fun. I normally save that activity for PS Pen but hey if others want to allow it over here I am not above it. I had not seen that kind of activity on the Planet this offseason so it came as a surprise.

If the activity level is going to reach StarBB levels during the season a couple of additional moderators would not be a bad thing, but the current moderators do a great job so I think it should be a wait and see on adding more.

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2001, 12:14 PM
The material he was discussing wasn't funny at all. I'll reiterate I can stand Trolls who want talk football, but I despise ones looking for a fight.

HC_Chief
08-02-2001, 12:17 PM
I have no problem with stupid people posting stupid topics/takes.

It's when they start SPAMMING that I take offense.

No need to ban an idiot simply because they choose to make that fact public. If they continue to make it public in thread after thread after thread, it's time to take action.

Common sense...no need to be reactionary :)

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 12:20 PM
It's generally the a$$hole answer, Priority, but I think it's appropriate here: if you really don't like the thread topic, don't read it and don't participate...

I think the mods should be more concerned with watching the sorts of thread titles (language, etc) we have and making sure we have no spam more than trying to stop something like last night. I think a few of us wanted to "play" and we did. Tonight might be a different story...

The fact that so many of us were responding probably indicates that it shouldn't have been stopped. If, on the other hand, he had continued to bring his own post to the top without any response, then that's when the mods need to step in. In other words, while he was annoying, I don't think he was really doing anything wrong or against board rules. And when I'd had enough, I quit reading and quit responding...

ExtremeChief
08-02-2001, 12:22 PM
I think things worked out just fine. I was as bad as anyone, maybe worse, at feeding those trolls last night. But I believe it was a little different than the usual "chiefs suck" troll. While I disagreed (as you can see from the post) with them, they did bring up a valid point. I don't believe it pertains to the Chiefs, but I could see a problem with "Redskins"...what made them trolls was the constant spinning and failure to respond to simple questions. I would hate to see over moderation on this board. I would rather have to take a little troll occasionally than be thought of as a board that only allows agreeing viewpoints.

I don't think we need more moderators, if some of us weren't feeding them for our own entertainment, they would have gone away. This board is in great shape, has a good community of posters, and is getting better everyday.

I'll try to keep my trolling motor at an idle next time...

gh4chiefs
08-02-2001, 12:26 PM
I understand where you're coming from CP, but instead of censorship, I would just suggest you not read the topics from the offending party, use the ignore function, etc.

Again, if someone wants to be a moron, you get out of their way and let them do it. And have a little fun in the process. :)

gh4chiefs
08-02-2001, 12:28 PM
I admit last night I was pissed off by the topic but after cooling down, it was just funny to me. And I think that's the way most of us looked at, good entertainment. When we got tired of it, we moved on.

BroncoFan
08-02-2001, 12:39 PM
Why do we need to moderate this? Obviously everyone enjoyed the topic because it got over 400 replies. If you don't want to feed the trolls, then don't. But don't censor or remove them unless they contain personal attacks or foul language. I, for one, thought that the thread was hilarious.

Iowanian
I don't see a reason to shut off anyone who has an unpopular oppinion. If their argument is weak and picking a fight...folks here can deal with it in a semi-humane dogpile. I see more of a need with someone who posts numerous unresponded to topics....you know the ones.

The board is working great and the current moderators are fair. Occasional semi-trolls are somewhat entertaining to slap around once in a while.

~if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

KCTitus
Cmon folks, the last thing we need is to be 'over sensitive' like that yo-yo was. I enjoyed the irony of a facist calling Chiefs fans neo nazis, etc.

Im betting falstaff doesnt come over any play anymore so there's probably no need to even put it on ignore.

I like the the 'receipe solution' for troll posts...

htismaqe
08-02-2001, 12:40 PM
HardCore hit the nail on the head...

I finally posted on that god awful thread this morning simply because the size of the thread was getting out of hand. The content wasn't the issue to me, it was the unnecessary waste of bulletin board resources.

bishop_74
08-02-2001, 12:40 PM
I wanted to piss in his gas tank.

BroncoFan
08-02-2001, 12:41 PM
If people can p|ss on the RAMS in their signature, then we should allow people to post silly stuff like the thread in question.

Warrior5
08-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Wasn't that a movie? Anyway, I personally don't think we need more moderators <I>yet</I>. In fact, I saw a lot of positives resulting from Planet's first Troll Raid:

1. This BB absorbed it without even blinking. Never slowed down once.

2. The board gave him every opportunity (and then some) to explain his position. Free speech in an open forum at its best.

3. As Gaz implied, members had numerous options: ignore feature, respond with counter-smaque, attempt to engage him in rational discussion, or read other posts. I personally did a combo: politely asked him 3 times to explain his position; my 4th post warned him (as did 3 other members), then I let fly on #5 with recipes. I had fun (still need to "counsel Cody though!).

4. Someone mentioned that it was kinda like the Phil Henry show...couldn't agree more. It was obvious to me that Falstaff / Pearlman / Sybil was trying to merely push buttons. He / they / she succeeded with some people, and that's OK too.

5. I don't see where Falstaff "spammed" the BB. He stayed within the thread (and was <B>abused</B>). Now if he started pulling that Campaign For Sanity crap, I'd be the first one reporting him to a moderator for spamming, although the Recipe Maneuver has been quite effective on Pigskin too.

6. Wouldn't mind doing that again next week. But after the season starts, I have no use for it, except maybe during the bye.

ExtremeChief
08-02-2001, 12:47 PM
Thats the second time my sig has been mentioned today...

thanks for the attention!!! good or bad!!!

attention monger

Mi_chief_fan
08-02-2001, 12:47 PM
........when he compared Bishop to being a neo-nazi, then calling everyone with a different opinion than his 'racist'. That kind of stereotyping should not be tolerated, IMO, and i'm proud to say that I reported them.

Mark M
08-02-2001, 12:48 PM
Instead of moderating the board to death, someone should just post this pic with a tagline saying: GO AWAY TROLL!

http://www.ismcollectibles.com/images/oldwhitehair64%20copy.jpg

If that is the only response to his/her/it's thread, then they'll probably get the point.

MM
~~Again, just trying to help.

Warrior5
08-02-2001, 12:54 PM
Have been meaning to apologize about not commenting on your sig line during the recipes last night. You even prompted me once, but I was trying to reign in that young upstart Cody at the time when he asked Falstaff about "if he felt anger or sadness", or some psychobabble thing.

ExtremeChief
08-02-2001, 01:01 PM
It took me half the night to even realize that it says something about MSG and we were talking about food...

It was an interesting night...learned about pepperjack cheese, laughed a Zebedee and the Marissa Tomei thing...funny stuff!!! I don't know if I could take it more than once a month or so though. I usually don't get on the comp at home, but I couldn't resist such blatant utter stupidity...

someone will have to fill me in on the Cody/Jalapeno cheese balls thing, I think it was before my time...

still a newbie...

gh4chiefs
08-02-2001, 01:07 PM
I just spent a few minutes re-reading this guy's post from last night. I think a lot of you were right, he was just yanking our chains. (Either that or he's a raving lunatic). In the light of day, they're actually hillarious. :D And we got sucked right in to playing his game. Oh well.

Bwana
08-02-2001, 01:09 PM
Let the trolls stay unless they get WAY out of hand, but don't give us **** when we grab them by the nuts and twist.

tommykat
08-02-2001, 01:34 PM
MM........
The Troll doll is to funny! When I was young...yeah yeah a long time ago, we called them damnit dolls.
Also, putting the Foundation logo on is cool.....looking good! I can't wait for Sept. It's all going to be to awesome!:cool:

Dave Lane
08-02-2001, 01:48 PM
Extreme Chief:

Cody one time on the Star BB peppered Denise with all kinds of bizarre statements about Cheeseballs during one of her intense ravings of one sort or another. He just kept asking about the nutritional value of cheese balls and lots of other bizarre questions really hilarious stuff. I kept waiting last night for him to breakout the old lines. Sigh he must have been drinking! :D

He's always teasing Tommy cat about that! Speaking of TommyCat wow great shot and 42?? Looking good is all I can say and thats at 45. ;)

ExtremeChief
08-02-2001, 01:56 PM
Thanks Dave,

I was always a little afraid to ask...

NaptownChief
08-02-2001, 01:58 PM
I can't believe you guys gave FagStaff 25 pages worth of post...It didn't even warrant a response.

Mark M
08-02-2001, 02:00 PM
tk--
Thanks! Feel free to use that troll pic whenever you get the urge.

And the 8th is going to be a great time! Hopefully, none of the single guys will hit on you too hard! ;)

MM
~~Your greater Kansas City troll picture dealer.

Warrior5
08-02-2001, 02:01 PM
You jogged my memory! A few months ago (pre-GannonStalker) on the Pigpen, Denise was in a heated argument (surprise!) with several conservative posters...I think it was about the death penalty or something.
Anyway, right about at post 100 or so, Cody jumps into the middle of the fray with this off-the-wall, "Hey Denise, have you ever tried Jalapeno Cheese Balls? A friend gave me some tonight, and they are the best thing I've ever tasted!", or something like that.
Of course, she was focused on the political discussion, and consequently ignored him. But our young hero was not to be deterred.
After pestering her with about five more posts, and they were <I>sincere</I> queries, she finally responded with something like,"Cody, I've never tried them, and what the He!! does that have to do with what we're arguing about!" I could almost hear a giant electronic guffaw rolling across cyberspace!
Cody was a hero that night, but like I said, I still need to "counsel" him for straying off-topic during last night's firefight.
More than you probably wanted to know, but that's where the cheesballs came from.

Bob Dole
08-02-2001, 02:37 PM
Bob Dole thinks it was handled properly from a BB admin standpoint, in that it was left pretty much alone. It looked to Bob Dole like it was only trying to get a response (and was successful in its quest). It strayed a little close to being too personal when it called Bishop a nazi, but it wasn't much worse than what some of us (Bob Dole's self included) have flung at PorkFan and that Brocof#ck dipstick. Other than that, it pretty much just kept repeating the same unpopular opinion, which isn't really a violation of any of the rules.

Bob Dole didn't find it any more offensive than GannonStalker or some of the other stuff that's happened on here, and it was well-behaved by keeping its spew within a single thread.

bishop_74
08-02-2001, 02:42 PM
The more I think about it, the more I feel like I was asking for it too. I hate that topic, but I got a bit personal as well. I learned a lesson here today...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2001, 03:13 PM
EVERYONE,

Sorry about that last night, but sometimes its fun to joke around with trolls. But if ya'll don't like it, I won't do it again.

CG

apologizing for that

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2001, 03:20 PM
Warrior,

:D

I was using my psychology class on falstaff, and what I learned about clinical psychology, he bit a little. When I asked him how he felt about DQ and if that would make him feel better, he finally got off topic, and said something like, "Well, I do like DQ..." and then he went on his rant about racisism in Chiefs land. :D

CG

not bad, considering I'm not studying to be a shrink:p

gh4chiefs
08-02-2001, 04:09 PM
Bishop, Cody,

Don't sweat it guys, I think the guy was just yanking all our chains. If you go back and go through all his posts, you'll see his answers are so cliche'd, that I don't think he could possibly be the real deal. I think he was doing the old Rush Limbaugh "illustrating absurdity by being absurd" gag. Those post just fell two much into line with textbook liberal drivel not be a gag.

Sad part is, there are people out there that really believe that crap.

So I say we should all have a good laugh at ourselves and forget him. It was fun while it lasted.

:)

gh4chiefs
08-02-2001, 04:26 PM
Just read AustinChief's info about Falstaff. I knew that guy wasn't for real but I bet he got a good laugh at us suckers.

I'll say again, I was really impressed with the smack you guys handed out last night. Wouldn't want to come to this board to pick a fight.

:D

Dave Lane
08-02-2001, 04:28 PM
Cody,

Who's chain are you pulling???? I thought you were holding back WAY too much. I read the posts way too late to get in on anything but I would have wanted more crazy posting to drive the troll nuts. I loved the secondary stuff LMAO!!!

Dave

Warrior5
08-02-2001, 05:42 PM
Exactly what Dave Lane said! Don't hold back, and next time we go into recipe mode, we wanna hear <B>lengthy details</B> about Jalapeno Cheese Balls!

Consider yourself counseled, and keep up the good work.