PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study

DaKCMan AP
01-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study

Tue Jan 29, 4:44 AM ET

Smoking a joint is equivalent to 20 cigarettes in terms of lung cancer risk, scientists in New Zealand have found, as they warned of an "epidemic" of lung cancers linked to cannabis.

Studies in the past have demonstrated that cannabis can cause cancer, but few have established a strong link between cannabis use and the actual incidence of lung cancer.

In an article published in the European Respiratory Journal, the scientists said cannabis could be expected to harm the airways more than tobacco as its smoke contained twice the level of carcinogens, such as polyaromatic hydrocarbons, compared with tobacco cigarettes.

The method of smoking also increases the risk, since joints are typically smoked without a proper filter and almost to the very tip, which increases the amount of smoke inhaled. The cannabis smoker inhales more deeply and for longer, facilitating the deposition of carcinogens in the airways.

"Cannabis smokers end up with five times more carbon monoxide in their bloodstream (than tobacco smokers)," team leader Richard Beasley, at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand, said in a telephone interview.

"There are higher concentrations of carcinogens in cannabis smoke ... what is intriguing to us is there is so little work done on cannabis when there is so much done on tobacco."

The researchers interviewed 79 lung cancer patients and sought to identify the main risk factors for the disease, such as smoking, family history and occupation. The patients were questioned about alcohol and cannabis consumption.

In this high-exposure group, lung cancer risk rose by 5.7 times for patients who smoked more than a joint a day for 10 years, or two joints a day for 5 years, after adjusting for other variables, including cigarette smoking.

"While our study covers a relatively small group, it shows clearly that long-term cannabis smoking increases lung cancer risk," wrote Beaseley.

"Cannabis use could already be responsible for one in 20 lung cancers diagnosed in New Zealand," he added.

"In the near future we may see an 'epidemic' of lung cancers connected with this new carcinogen. And the future risk probably applies to many other countries, where increasing use of cannabis among young adults and adolescents is becoming a major public health problem."

(Reporting by Tan Ee Lyn; Editing by Alex Richardson)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080129/hl_nm/cancer_cannabis_dc;_ylt=AnbAMWGlY5B0GDpovigdPeis0NUE

jidar
01-29-2008, 10:25 AM
This is the greatest post ever.

This post is so awesome it deserves it's own Internet.

Frazod
01-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh shit. They'd better hurry up and ban it. LMAO

Bob Dole
01-29-2008, 10:32 AM
So much for the "healthy" and "natural" argument.

Otter
01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
On a related note...

Cannibis Vending Machines in L.A. (http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3752777n)

Eleazar
01-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Oh shit. They'd better hurry up and tax the hell out of it.

FYP

Brock
01-29-2008, 10:51 AM
It'll be another epidemic like AIDS

Abba-Dabba
01-29-2008, 10:53 AM
We all gotta die sometime, Red.

Eleazar
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
It'll be another epidemic like AIDS

Remember when AIDS was going to become airborne and kill us all?

Abba-Dabba
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
FWIW you can always vaporize and decrease the supposed lung cancer risk to zero.

Brock
01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Eat it.

chasedude
01-29-2008, 11:00 AM
What about Bongs... err I mean Water Pipes. Don't they lessen the nasty stuff inhaled?

38yrsfan
01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
So much for the "healthy" and "natural" argument.

Yep ... it was a scientific study so it has to be true and unbiased :hmmm:

BigChiefFan
01-29-2008, 11:10 AM
I've concluded that people can can come up with any answer they want. There are so many damn study's that it's tough to know what's really accurate anymore.

DaKCMan AP
01-29-2008, 11:13 AM

I don't know the validity of their numbers, but you have to be retarded to think inhaling smoke from anything (especially something containing carcinogens) has no adverse health effects.

RealSNR
01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I've concluded that people can can come up with any answer they want. There are so many damn study's that it's tough to know what's really accurate anymore.Okay. Come up with an answer that if you smoke ANYTHING repeatedly, it's not unhealthy.

BucEyedPea
01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I've concluded that people can can come up with any answer they want. There are so many damn study's that it's tough to know what's really accurate anymore.

That's how I feel about this. However, I do think that inhaling smoke can't be that good for anyone. It used to burn my throat and I hated it. I'd say eating it would be safest. JMO.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Two words: Gravity Bong.

BigChiefFan
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Okay. Come up with an answer that if you smoke ANYTHING repeatedly, it's not unhealthy.
Jessica Alba is smokin' hot and it's very healthy to admire her beauty. :D

HypnotizedMonkey
01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
dang... i better quit! NOT.

RealSNR
01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Jessica Alba is smokin' hot and it's very healthy to admire her beauty. :DSo what happens when you put her in your mouth?

StcChief
01-29-2008, 11:40 AM
ask Bob Marley if you ever see him again.

Brock
01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
ask Bob Marley if you ever see him again.

LOL, so it causes cancer of the big toe as well?

unothadeal
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Thank God that's only in New Zealand

irishjayhawk
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM

And therein lies the beauty of science. Always changing, always hypothesizing.

teedubya
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
luckily most people don't smoke a pack and a half of joints each day.

DaKCMan AP
01-29-2008, 11:56 AM

In this high-exposure group, lung cancer risk rose by 5.7 times for patients who smoked more than a joint a day for 10 years, or two joints a day for 5 years, after adjusting for other variables, including cigarette smoking.

Skip Towne
01-29-2008, 11:56 AM
NORML will come along and replicate this study and come up with different results. They've done it numerous times.

Adept Havelock
01-29-2008, 12:12 PM
NORML will come along and replicate this study and come up with different results. They've done it numerous times.

Is that because for some reason they don't remember doing it previously?

Skip Towne
01-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Is that because for some reason they don't remember doing it previously?
I think it's because they don't care.

bowener
01-29-2008, 12:38 PM
So what happens when you put her in your mouth?

They take me to court.

WilliamTheIrish
01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
I dunno. I suppose inhaling anything into your lungs at high temp is not going to leave you undamaged. If you do it long enough.

Still, weed smells way better than cigs.

HonestChieffan
Maybe thats a reason for it being illegal

jspchief
I imagine there's probably more than a few things we don't know about smoking pot simply because it doesn't get studied much, relatively speaking.

HC_Chief
01-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Supposedly there is a new bong that uses steam to extrat the THC from the cannibis; you "smoke" by inhaling THC-laced water vapor, rather than smoke. This gives you the high w/o the nasty carcinogens that arise from the burning carbon. :thumb:

Too bad I have a THC allergy.

blueballs
01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Could be caused due to the inhaling of fritos

DaKCMan AP
01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Still, weed smells way better than cigs.

IMO, they both smell terrible.

StcChief
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
LOL, so it causes cancer of the big toe as well?
http://ask.yahoo.com/20031013.html

so smokin' weed all those years had nothing to do with Brain,Toe,Lung cancer?

Brock
01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
http://ask.yahoo.com/20031013.html

so smokin' weed all those years had nothing to do with Brain,Toe,Lung cancer?

He had cancer of the toe, which spread because he wouldn't allow it to be amputated. So no, I don't believe smoking weed causes cancer of the toe.

StcChief
01-29-2008, 01:13 PM
He had cancer of the toe, which spread because he wouldn't allow it to be amputated. So no, I don't believe smoking weed causes cancer of the toe.

keep smokin' it. and not believing it.... your gonna die from something anyway.

But did cancer causing agents from smoke travel to lungs, transfer thru blood maybe collect in toe? maybe it was a contibuting factor?

or maybe running thru Jamican Junge over time bare foot, calius feet, bunion . Who knows...

FD
01-29-2008, 01:18 PM
So I just have to smoke a joint a day until I get cancer, than I get medical marijuana to treat my cancer. Good deal.

38yrsfan
01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't know the validity of their numbers, but you have to be retarded to think inhaling smoke from anything (especially something containing carcinogens) has no adverse health effects.

That is a very obvious point (inhaling smoke of any kind - not good) - somewhat akin to stating; "sticking pointed objects in your eye is not good for it.", but not what the contention is about concerning the results of this and many scientific studies.

Granted smoking can't be as healthy as not smoking but the figures for cancer risk and cigarette equivalents are the results of a single study that finds itself at odds with many others.

It is often conjectured, and rightly so, that the study results are biased both ways, depending upon the legalities and agendas.

IMO

QuikSsurfer
01-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Supposedly there is a new bong that uses steam to extrat the THC from the cannibis; you "smoke" by inhaling THC-laced water vapor, rather than smoke. This gives you the high w/o the nasty carcinogens that arise from the burning carbon. :thumb:

Too bad I have a THC allergy.
http://www.happybong.de/pictures/outside/volcano1.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-29-2008, 02:22 PM
http://www.happybong.de/pictures/outside/volcano1.jpg

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen, next to a naked Eva Angelina.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I would like to start a prayer request for Quicksurfer. His days are numbered.

Brock
01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
**** ethanol, this is what farmers should be growing.

QuikSsurfer
01-29-2008, 02:46 PM
That is the coolest thing I've ever seen, next to a naked Eva Angelina.
If you ever have the opportunity to smoke from one of these, do it. It's better than smoking hash :)
A few years ago, my dealer had one of these bad boys and would fill me up a turkey bag and send it with me for my journey home. Those were the good ole days - too bad you can't find shit for KB in KCMO. I miss the south.

Fish
01-29-2008, 02:48 PM
The researchers interviewed 79 lung cancer patients and sought to identify the main risk factors for the disease

Only 79 people? And only cancer patients?

This study is lacking....

KurtCobain
01-29-2008, 02:56 PM

How many cigarettes are in a pack? I probably smoke 15-20 or so joints a day.

bowener
01-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Only 79 people? And only cancer patients?

This study is lacking....

Thats what I was thinking... this is a rather low sample group. Generally dont you want it to be well of 200 or so for any kind of tests to reflect the population as a whole? I am taking stats for the first time, so after this semester I should be able to answer that.

Brock
01-29-2008, 03:48 PM
How many cigarettes are in a pack? I probably smoke 15-20 or so joints a day.

Your future is bright.

kcxiv
01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Eating to many burgers and fries can kill you to. should they outlaw every fast food restaurant? lol

StcChief
01-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Eating to many burgers and fries can kill you to. should they outlaw every fast food restaurant? lolthat would be a start.

kcxiv
01-29-2008, 04:11 PM
that would be a start.
Then we have to do liquor as well.

StcChief
01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
watching some one pass out or puke after drinking OJ used as bong water was always funny

tooge
01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Grilled food has carcinogens also, but I am not gonna stop eating that. Most of these research projects subject the lab rats to soooo much of the chemical they are trying to demonize, that it is bound to happen. As far as this one goes, too small of a sample size for one. Also, I know that quite a few people that smoke dope do, or have smoked cigs in the past. Is that accounted for? What about second hand smoke as kids? I guess we all die somehow, someday. Might as well enjoy the ride till the time comes. "a friend of mine" used to buy the empty capsules and fill em with weed and swallow them. talk about a good buzz, gotta watch when you eat though.

CoMoChief
01-29-2008, 04:56 PM
There are just as many articles that say the complete opposite.

OMG CELL PHONES CAUSE CANCER!!!!!!

ClevelandBronco
01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
doesnt sound like it will work. THC is fat soluble, not water soluble. That is why canna butter or special brownes work, but not weed tea. You can extract it with alcohol, but when ingested it will get metabolized and will give less of a high compared to smoking which directly gets it into the bloodstreamyes, but you also lose precious THC in the water. exactly, but it is not very portable and is very obvious.

Another alternative is to convert your weed into bubble hash. All you need is a tub, ice water, and some re-usable filters. The advantage is it is very portable and potent. You can leave it as is, or you can isomerize it to make it more potent. As the weed/hash ages it converts from the more potent THC into less potent CBD. Isomerizing it with a simple acid (such as key lime juice) can acetize it into THC.

This gives valuable insight into your football opinions.

homey
01-29-2008, 05:55 PM
a few initial thoughts i had when reading this:

wonder how many grams they are considering a joint?

why are they using joints as a measure, by doing that you're also including the fact there is inhaled paper in those as well. what about bowls?

i've been taught all my life one joint is the equivalent to five cigs. first i've ever read more than that and this number is four times that. curious.

i would think we need to know the lifestyles of the subjects to fully evaluate the study

seclark
01-29-2008, 06:06 PM
I **** meth addict whores bareback, pound Wild Turkey like it's Kool Aid, burn four blunts a day, snort an eight ball of coke every three days and go through a pack of Marlboros every day and I am still alive and kicking at 38 with a cholesterol level of 165.
why does quicksurfer feel the need to troll?
sec

QuikSsurfer
01-29-2008, 06:10 PM
why does quicksurfer feel the need to troll?
sec
can't be me. i don't drink

CrazyPhuD
01-29-2008, 06:14 PM
This just in scientists have shown that people with assholes are 10,000X more likely to die from explosive diarrhea than those without them!

seclark
01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
can't be me. i don't drink
just jerkin yer chain...i knew you couldn't spell "methamphetamine"
party on.
sec

QuikSsurfer
01-29-2008, 07:12 PM
just jerkin yer chain...i knew you couldn't spell "methamphetamine"
party on.
sec
:spock:
guess i'm not understanding the reason for your cheap shots.
who are you again?

mikey23545
01-29-2008, 07:16 PM

You may have smoked a little too much of it already...

seclark
01-29-2008, 07:19 PM
:spock:
guess i'm not understanding the reason for your cheap shots.
who are you again?
just an oldtime stoner giving you a little shit...didn't mean to toss any sand in the old vajayjay.
sec

Pants
01-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Use a bong.