PDA

View Full Version : Now this is what I want to hear!!!

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2001, 04:36 PM
While Keitzman was interviewing Al Saunders the other day, expectations came up. KK starting to say something like, "No one is expecting/thinks you guys are going to win the Super Bowl this year and or..." Then Al interupts him, and says, "We do." Kevin was silent and Al said, "Why not us, why not the Chiefs?"

I love the positive attitude surrounding this team!

I can't think of a year that I have been more positive? Anyone else? I mean, I've always been positive about his team, but not like this.

CG

can't wait til Sept. 9!

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2001, 05:00 PM
The Joe Montana signing, one of my childhood idols.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2001, 05:03 PM
Me too, CP!

I followed Montana even when he was with the 49ers. IMO, he is the greatest QB of all time. There won't be another one like him, IMO.

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 06:28 PM
I would say my level of excitement for the 2001 Chiefs season is roughly equivalent to my excitement in anticipation of Star Wars: Episode 1 (yes, I'm a geek).

I hope I'm more...satisfied...with this end product than I was with that one.

I do wonder if might not just be setting myself up for another frustrating and ultimately disappointing season, however (like 2000). Oh well, win or lose, I'll survive, and probably have a hell of a lot of fun along the way. ;)

milkman
08-02-2001, 06:41 PM
As TC gets underway each season, and the seasons approached, I've always maintained a positive attitude, hoping for the best, but realizing that I shoudn't have any real expectatations.

The Marty era made that difficult, as I didn't want him when he was oiginally hired, and he did nothing to ease my misgivings about him the entire time he was here.

I also am one of the very few that wasn't happy about the Montana trade.

I haven't really felt any confidence going into a season since the '70s.

I do, however, feel pretty good about the direction this team is taking.
I just wish I didn't have this nagging doubt that Vermeil can get to the SB with a 3rd team.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 06:50 PM
Red Eyes, I think I'm more excited by the change than I am by any real expectations. To be honest, I don't have any expectations in terms of record because I can see us going anywhere from 6-10 to 12-4, but I don't have any real gauge for that until I see us play against someone else. In the end, I do think we'll see a better prepared, smarter and harder-working team on the field, but how will that translate record-wise? How do we stack up in terms of talent? How good is this coaching staff - really?

I was bitter, just bitter after both 1999 and last year, and I really don't want to feel like that again anytime soon. Another mediocre season filled with underachievement will be tough to go through in terms of frustration and sheer pepto intake. I don't think there's too much danger of that, the staff is doing exactly what I'd do myself were I a coach, but, hey, anything can hapen.

Another end of the year like the Falcons game and you might see me showing up on the FBI's 10 most wanted list...

NaptownChief
08-02-2001, 08:46 PM
jl80 has $100 down at 60-1 odds...I have 6 thousand reasons to hope he is correct...

milkman
08-02-2001, 08:56 PM
Kyle,
I, too, am excited about the change.
Any move away from Martyball and Guntherball and the 3 Stooges is cause for excitement.
I at least can be fairly certain that games won't be lost because of poor coachng, and playoff opportunities wasted because of fear.

But, as I said, my excitement about he change is tempered by nagging doubts.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2001, 08:56 PM
K to the Cizo, Chie to the iza...

this is the anthem, getch your damn hands up!!!!

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 12:21 AM
Why didn't you like the Montana trade, Milkman?

CG

he's was the shizit, fo rizal:D

Rausch
08-03-2001, 12:48 AM
I'm a realist....

No team has ever gone 19-0....

No coach has seen 3 super bowls with 3 different teams.

The Chiefs have not played in a super bowl in almost 30 years...

Al Davis has never changed the grease in his hair twice in one month...

But then this feel-good-pr of DV is getting to me....Part of me thinks it's all marketing, smoke and mirrors...We all know that major players from last year are gone...This division is better from top to bottom...Our schedule is insanely tough...

But then I listen to some more of DV, and Saunders, and JO PO, and a player or two...

And I remember 93, 95, 97, 98, .....

And I wonder if the jury will understand if I set myself up to believe and some slob misses a 14 yrd field goal and we take another first round exit...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 12:55 AM
Brad,

No one ever thought that mac could hit those 70 homers either. And no one thought last year that the Ravens could win with (gulp) Dilfer and only on D. You see what I'm saying? This is whats so fun about football (or insert another sport). The records, the history, the "that has never happened"s. That is whats so great about the game, IMO.

Sooner or later, those things you mentioned, will be proved the other way. (with the exception of Al's hair:D )

Its evolution.

And IMO, unless they do something, like change the rules of the games, etc., you won't stop it. Every year or two, something will happen (better) that you thought wouldn't in sports, etc.

Rausch
08-03-2001, 01:04 AM
Free agency changed everything....

Otherwise I'd agree....:)

KCinNY
08-03-2001, 01:07 AM
I agree with Cody, anything is possible.

Besides, Training Camp is not the time for pessimism. If things don't pan out this year and we're humming along at 4-9 or so, there will be plenty of oppurtunity to complain.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 01:14 AM
Good night all!

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 01:33 AM
One more thing, Brad (I was checking my email) I did not used to believe in that, but after being proved wrong and seeing it first hand and waking up, I realized that records, etc. (everthing I mentioned) will be changed/broken or however you want to say it.

Change is apart of sports, and everything as you already know.

Good night all!!!!:D

milkman
08-03-2001, 09:34 PM
Cody,
I've posted this before.

Joe did some nice things while he was here, but he was here only 2 years.
He was another short term solution to what has become a long term problem, stability at the QB position.
I wanted the Chiefs to go after Steve Buerlein, who was available in FA that offseason.
If the Chiefs had signed Buerlein, he likely would still be the Chiefs starter today.
We would never have gone through the Grabac era, never have suffered through the Grbac/Gannon debates, or been subjected to the Denise GannonObsession, and we wouldn't have given up at least 2 first round picks in trades for Qbs (Montana and Green).

For the record, the 9ers used our #1 for Dana Stubblefield, whose play could have possibly saved us from the signing of Chet.

NaptownChief
10-26-2001, 07:35 PM
Just thought I would bring this post back to the top for all you real "Hypocrites" that had the stones to say that the coaches never led us to believe this would be a winning year, that we should have know this was a rebuilding year....yada, yada, yada

NOTE THE DATE 8/2....

Logical
10-26-2001, 07:44 PM
jl80,

Again you should try reading (at least my stuff) I have clearly limited it to DV and never said anything about the coaches. First being out here in San Diego I get info on DV and what he says regularly but not on the coaches.

NaptownChief
10-26-2001, 07:49 PM
Jim,

This post is not just for you...This is for all the people that were busy taking their shots about how the coaches never set these expectations.

I pulled my best Titus and went back and did plenty of reading. Gaz and CK IN are about the only one who didn't buy in and believed we would struggle. You were much more tempered than most but this whole attitude that you and many others are trying to now present that "we knew coming in this would be a rebuilding year" is garbage.

Logical
10-26-2001, 07:53 PM
jl80,

Read all my post for the last 5 weeks, I have consistently said I expected to finish 9-7 then lowered my expectations. Not once have I said I expected a losing season, what I have said over and over is that as long as they stay the course and make progrees I am fine with the losing.

Jim
What I would not accept is reverting to Marty/Maul ball to try to win.

NaptownChief
10-26-2001, 08:00 PM
Jim,

You are not my primary target with this. You don't have to look very far in the other post with those claiming the coaching staff never set high expectations.

The only thing you have done is go after those who don't share your patience...Which is wrong IMO...As fans we don't have to share the same opinions or patience. Not sure why you expect that.

Logical
10-26-2001, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by jl80
Jim,

You are not my primary target with this. You don't have to look very far in the other post with those claiming the coaching staff never set high expectations.

The only thing you have done is go after those who don't share your patience...Which is wrong IMO...As fans we don't have to share the same opinions or patience. Not sure why you expect that.

jl80 today it was you calling them pathetic that pissed me off. That is far beyond not showing patience, that is far beyond saying they suck, IMO that was totally uncalled for and distasteful.

NaptownChief
10-26-2001, 08:14 PM
Jim,

I can understand that. But that is just how I am...I wasn't raised having my dad calling me "sweetie" and giving me time outs. I was raised getting smacked up side the head while being call $hit head and the such. So as a product of my upbringing I am going to naturally be rough around the edges on things that disappoint me.

chiefsfan1963
10-26-2001, 08:17 PM
jim,

you live in san diego? so do i. where in sd do you live? i live in point loma. are you going to the game next week? i'll be there.
go chiefs!!!!!!!

Logical
10-26-2001, 08:31 PM
Jim,

I can understand that. But that is just how I am...I wasn't raised having my dad calling me "sweetie" and giving me time outs. I was raised getting smacked up side the head while being call $hit head and the such. So as a product of my upbringing I am going to naturally be rough around the edges on things that disappoint me.

jl80

I was literally beaten as a child my Stepfather was a police detective and from his patrol days he had a leather belt that was 3.5 inches wide and he and my mom were never afraid of using it. I was used to language so foul that it might have made a sailor blush, my stepfather was and still is one of the most bigoted men you will ever meet. We were not truly poor but we were definitely on the upper end of lower class. My mom was one of the toughest people I ever met, she grew up in the ghetto of Omaha and when I got smacked around by the neighborhood bully at 8 she told me that I was not to start fights but I must do everything in my power to finish them once started. She then forced me to grab a board and take it to the kid. I at first refused and she used that board on me and said she would continue until I took care of myself the way a guy must. I did that and for the rest of my youth I never started a fight but I finished more than my share. Long story short I have more than my share of rough edges but I matured and I try never to use my background as an excuse.

Sorry you feel victimized but I know you can overcome your rough edges as I have done it.

Jim
Best of Luck

Logical
10-26-2001, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by chiefsfan1963
jim,

you live in san diego? so do i. where in sd do you live? i live in point loma. are you going to the game next week? i'll be there.
go chiefs!!!!!!!

I am thinking about it but I have not got tickets, I need to check to see if any are still available.

I live in Poway.

NaptownChief
10-26-2001, 08:39 PM
Jim,

Then you of all people should know that we are all a product of greatly different environments and we all will react differently from them. My environment was not nearly as bad as yours but I too was forced to grow up tough. As a result it just hardened me in many respects to where I am not sensitive to words. Being tough on things and calling them pathetic is just a result of being hardened. Being that way is not a lack of maturity, it is just a less sensitive manner than most. My up bringing is not an excuse cause no excuse is warranted for being less sensitive than others.

Logical
10-26-2001, 08:45 PM
jl

Words are not the most powerful weapons, but they are your most powerful tools of influence. Using them improperly reflects poorly on you and hurts your ability to influence your environment in the way that you will most likely encounter in the rest of your adult life.

Not to be judgemental but you seem very intelligent and seem to lack the desire (not patience) to use that intelligence to get your points across. To this end you come across as primarily angry and irrational, if that is what you want then you should continue and enjoy yourself. Just understand that I really will not consider your thoughts significant or worthy of merit. In the big scheme of things that should be of no significance to you, but let me ask you something. If you do not want others to value your opinions and listen to you why bother posting on this or any other BB?

NaptownChief
10-26-2001, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Logical
jl

If you do not want others to value your opinions and listen to you why bother posting on this or any other BB?

What you speak is true of you but it is not true of most. Many people share my sentiment and value what I have to say. I think that is the difference between you and I, I have interest in and value opinions from people of all perspectives you seem to only value those that share yours.

To each his own.

chiefsfan1963
10-26-2001, 08:51 PM
tickets are not cheap. i remember when my folks had got season tickets at arrowhead in 1973 they were 12 bucks a ticket. and that was a great seat. i bought nosebleed seats for 50 bucks a seat at qualcomm stadium next week. wow!!!! times have surely changed.

anyway when my wife and i first moved here we bought a home in scripps ranch pretty close to poway. nice area. anyway we decided to live closer to the city. i'm just not cut out for the suburbs.

i've noticed many of your posts during the short time i've hung out here, and i think we have a similar philosophy about the direction of the team. anyway go chiefs!!!!

KCJohnny
10-26-2001, 08:52 PM
Cody:
That is a good reason to lobby for the end of the Vermiel era right away. DV = lose for 2 years and try to compete by the 3rd or 4th. When DV steps down/is fired, Big Al becomes da man. That's the day I'm waiting for. DV to me is the same as having a foreigner as president of the USA. He has 0 Chiefs credentials. He has foisted his dadblasted ramifization on us and run a 7-9 team into a 1-6 one. Al Saunders stood on the R & G sideline for 10 years under Marty and understands the city, the team, Mr. Hunt and the spirit of Chiefs football. The sooner DV is gone, the better IMO.

Logical
10-26-2001, 08:57 PM

What you speak is true of you but it is not true of most. Many people share my sentiment and value what I have to say. I think that is the difference between you and I, I have interest in and value opinions from people of all perspectives you seem to only value those that share yours.

To each his own.

I just do not value points born of simple frustration that lack a more wide view unemotional perspective. If their is one thing I am more than willing to admit I have been wrong and others have been right. There are plenty of times that I have shown this in the past. While Cannibal is plenty negative I rarely feel the way I do about your statements when I read his. The difference, the clear lack of emotion driving his points.

Logical
10-26-2001, 09:01 PM
chiefsfan1963

I think our similar philosophy is borne of the fact we have been fans since almost exactly the same start. We have seen almost the entire history and we understand the cycles.

Are you originally from KC if so which part. I grew up in KC North, went to Winnetonka High.

NaptownChief
10-26-2001, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Logical

I just do not value points born of simple frustration that lack a more wide view unemotional perspective. If their is one thing I am more than willing to admit I have been wrong and others have been right. There are plenty of times that I have shown this in the past. While Cannibal is plenty negative I rarely feel the way I do about your statements when I read his. The difference, the clear lack of emotion driving his points.

Hey, I hold this team to a high standard. I demand a lot and I am hard on them when they don't deliever. But the difference with me as opposed to most is I don't hold anyone or anything to a higher standard than I hold myself. I don't accept failure at any level with myself and I am tough as hell on myself if I even flirt with it.

I don't claim to be a easy fan. Like me or hate me, that is just the way I am....

Logical
10-26-2001, 09:06 PM
jl,

Definitely do not hate you, in fact respect tremendously a lot of what you say off topic from the Chiefs and even on the Chiefs. Just do not get and never will understand total negativity.

Brock
10-26-2001, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by KCJohnny
Cody:
That is a good reason to lobby for the end of the Vermiel era right away. DV = lose for 2 years and try to compete by the 3rd or 4th. When DV steps down/is fired, Big Al becomes da man. That's the day I'm waiting for. DV to me is the same as having a foreigner as president of the USA. He has 0 Chiefs credentials. He has foisted his dadblasted ramifization on us and run a 7-9 team into a 1-6 one.

KCJ, your posts get farther and farther from reality by the day. You are aware that there was a day when Marty Schottenheimer had 0 Chief credentials, right? Marty was not born at Arrowhead Stadium, nor was Gunther Cunningham. They both bounced around the league for years before they got here, and guess what? Neither even so much as sniffed a championship.

You are one ridiculous dude.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-26-2001, 09:31 PM
Whoa!!! Talk about a blast from the past!!!:D

jl80, are you calling me a hypocrite? I don't see where I've been one. I was wrong about this year, but better things will follow!!!

CG

1-6 to 10-6? Could it be???:eek: :D ...ya never know!:)

NaptownChief
10-26-2001, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Cody Goldizen
Whoa!!! Talk about a blast from the past!!!:D

jl80, are you calling me a hypocrite? I don't see where I've been one. I was wrong about this year, but better things will follow!!!

CG

1-6 to 10-6? Could it be???:eek: :D ...ya never know!:)

Nope...I was just using your old post that showed the coaching staff believed we were a playoff/Super Bowl contender and not in a rebuilding phase as some have tried to spin.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-26-2001, 09:42 PM
Sorry about that, J.

BTW, I think the staff knew we weren't going to be a good football team, but they were smart in not saying that before the season started, IMO, now that I think about it, and all.

chiefsfan1963
10-26-2001, 10:03 PM
jim,

yeah i was born in kcmo. lived in various areas of kc. late 60's lived in village green, my dad was in vietnam at the time (he's a surgeon) , then moved to mews apts in the early 70's, lived down the street from ed podlack, then we moved to the red bridge area, i attended south city view and red bridge elementary. then attended barstow from 6-9th grade after which my parents sent me away to boarding school back east. shortly after that my parents moved to overland park, ks and then moved later out of state. i haven't lived in kc for 23 years. but i consider it home even though i know i won't ever live there again. rooted for the kings, scouts, royals, and chiefs all my life. now really only follow the chiefs. i've lived all over this country since i left kc. san diego is my home for now and probably will be for a very long time. my wife and i have lived here since june of 1998, and love it. best kept secret in the u.s. my wife and i just had our first child in august, a baby girl. we have a beautiful 2 year old yellow lab. we're your stereotypical american family. very blessed and very lucky.

NaptownChief
10-27-2001, 08:10 AM
Back to the top for Chiefaholic.

Chief note the date on the post.... 8/2.....