PDA

View Full Version : What is better?

falstaff
08-02-2001, 08:07 PM
What is better??

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 08:12 PM
KC obviously.

That's like asking "what's the better beer, falstaff or guiness?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-02-2001, 09:26 PM
Having lived in KC and in Texas, I voted for KC, but that's personal preference. I've had KC BBQ, East Texas BBQ, West Texas BBQ, Memphis style BBQ, St. Louis style BBQ...

Each has it's own idyosyncracy and personally, if you lined them all up, I wouldn't bother voting, I'd be <b>way</b> too busy eating :D

NaptownChief
08-02-2001, 09:33 PM
I like mine sweet and extremely spicy...Who best fits that category? KC ?

morphius
08-02-2001, 09:45 PM
Texas is so bad by comparison that Jerry Jones does not even allow it in the parking lot.

Morphius
Can't make this up.

Raiderhader
08-03-2001, 12:01 AM
Give me a choice between Texas and anything else, and I'll choose anything else about 99% of the time.

Hader,
has always enjoyed baggin' on Texas and Texicans

AustinChief
08-03-2001, 12:25 AM
This poll is a JOKE!

KC BBQ... by far the best in the world... I've lived in Texas since 1985... and besides the sub-standard meat... the sauce sux!!!

KC BBQ... by far the best.... no one who has had both can honestly say otherwise!!!!

Texans like to talk alot of trash... but few of them have EVER been outside their own county.... much less state... so I ownly trusty the opinions of the INFORMED...

--Kyle

Fat Elvis
08-03-2001, 12:28 AM
Oh my Gawd---

I went to grad school at UT in Austin and everyone was always telling me how "great" Texas BBQ was--no one BBQ's like us texans, etc.

The first time I ate Texas BBq, I thought, "Jesus, I wouldn't feed this cr@p to a dog." I thought maybe it was an abberation, so I tried several other BBQ places in Texas. Unequivocably, Texas BBq SUCKS @SS.

I'm sure if that's all you've ever known, it would seem fair to ok, but after having lived around here almost all my life, I knew better....

I have some sympathy for Texans cuz they are just so damn stupid. They are like pets, and you just have to laugh at their silly little notions about the world.

AustinChief
08-03-2001, 12:29 AM
raiderhader,

a few you might like...

"You can always tell a Texan............you just can't tell 'em much!!!"

or....

"If you don't quit talkin' about Texas...we'll get Alaska to divide and make you the THIRD largest state!"

--Kyle

Saggysack
08-03-2001, 12:37 AM
I have had both...IMO KC BBQ is alot better than Texas BBQ

I wish the poll would have included others like Southern BBQ and Memphis BBQ

KCinNY
08-03-2001, 12:49 AM
KC hands down.

A few years ago I was visiting a friend in Austin and he drove us for an hour to this allegedly "world famous" BBQ place in Lockhart. When we got there and got our ribs, there was NO SAUCE ON THE RIBS OR THE TABLE. My friend and the waitress looked horrified when I asked for sauce. They were bland, over-smoked averagae ribs at best.

As bad as Texas BBQ was, nothing's worse than trying to get BBQ on the East coast. Order BBQ at a restauraunt and they'll bring you a steak smothered in ketchup.

Mark M
08-03-2001, 07:23 AM
jl80--
Try Masterpiece's spicy version. Masterpiece is sweeter than say a Gates or Bryants (not as much pepper). I've never tried their spicy, but enjoy their mesquite on pork.

KC in NY--
You're not lying about the east coast, man! I lived in DC for a year and couldn't find ANYTHING that even resembles bar-b-que.

My first week, when I went to the store to get charcoal for the baby Weber, the guy just looked at me funny. He went back and came back with some generic crap, instead of Kingsford. I asked for Kingsford and he asked me if that was a brand name.

I knew right then I had made a very, very bad decision.

MM
~~Had nightsweats from bar-b-que withdrawl.

MrBlond
08-03-2001, 07:45 AM
That is a little like asking who has better seafood, San Fran or KC? BBQ is what we do. I would stack Bryants(my favorite), Rosedale, Quicks, Gates, Haywards, my Dads, my uncles, my Grandfathers, etc against ANY tx "grilled meat w/ketchup and van de kamps" any day of the week. I am shocked the voting is as close as it is.

Warrior5
08-03-2001, 08:20 AM
Your best post yet.

You might be biased, er.... you might <I>favor</I> Texas BBQ simply because that's what you have.

There's really no comparison...KC hands down. And that's not just the major chains (Jackstack, KC Masterpiece, Gates, Arthur Bryant's, etc.); you can get outstanding BBQ in just about any small town or suburb of KC.

Gotta recipe for homemade BBQ sauce?

alanm
08-03-2001, 08:49 AM
"I am shocked the voting is as close as it is" I wonder who has the cajones to be the first to vote for Texas? :D

alanm
08-03-2001, 08:52 AM
I see someone just did!

AustinChief
08-03-2001, 09:37 AM
DARN BBS!!!

I keep trying to edit the poll ..... but apparently the code doesn't handle negaitve numbers!!! I'll have to get around to hacking it some more... zero just doesn't do justice to how BAD Texas BBQ is!

--Kyle

Baby Lee
08-03-2001, 10:13 AM
Mr. Blond - Love the tagline. Been meaning to ask you. You're a big Lee Marvin fan aren't you?

Lightning Rod
08-03-2001, 10:28 AM
Lets see,
What is better? Having two big breasted blonds in the hot tub with ya or,
Cramming a meat thermometer up your nose?

What a stupid question!

MrBlond
08-03-2001, 12:54 PM
JC Johnny,

Thanks. I had trouble choosing between that and:

"Toby? Toby Wong? Toby Wong? f'n Charlie Chan."

I thought that might be too obscure.

Bob Dole
08-03-2001, 01:01 PM
Having lived in KC for 8 years and Tejas for 7, Bob Dole can state that KC BBQ kicks Texas BBQ square in the nuts. <b>Finally</b>, Texarkana has a place that does a decent job of smoking their brisket, but the sauce is substandard.

As for Texans: If God had meant for Texans to ski, he would have made bullsh!t white...

TexN
08-03-2001, 01:58 PM
It's obvious to me that they put crack in the KC bar-b-que sauce recipe. You guys are insane. Everyone (normal) knows that Texas bar-b-que is the absolute best around.

I think that it's probably that you guys just don't know quality bar-b-que when you eat it.

Iowanian
08-03-2001, 02:07 PM
Did you guys hear the joke about the gay texas sailboat captain who thought Texas BBQ was better than KC?

~thinks maybe the Pollution in Texico has been affecting rational thought process for decades.

KS Smitty
08-03-2001, 02:12 PM
"You can smoke something for days, grill it for hours, but it's not until you slice it and pour on some of that good-looking barbeque sauce that it really looks like an irrestible meal." John Madden's Untilmate Tailgating. He also sites the McSparin Brothers of KC for the basic bbq sauce recipe that is used and calls it "typical of the Kansas City-style of barbeque." Now I don't care too much for his commentating but he's a big boy that likes good food and he sites quite a few KC tailgate recipes, including the famous beer butt chicken. So there you have it.

seclark
08-03-2001, 02:16 PM
you just cant beat the smell around arrowhead on the day of a football game.
man, i'm getting hungry...mix in a beer thread, and i'll be forced to take off early.
sec

KS Smitty
08-03-2001, 02:35 PM
Page 21:
Now if you like meat, which I do, and you like brisket, which I do, and you love barbeque, which I definately do, then it should comes as no surprise that KANSAS CITY has FABULOUS barbeque brisket as well as every other kind of meat. Standing on the hill above Arrowhead Stadium and looking down at the valley a few hours before game time you will see a blue haze of barbeque smoke as far as the horizon.......My favorite recipe-chosen from a lot of contenders-comes from the McSparin Brothers, Larry, Brett and Al, who are competition barbequers and big football fans.

Pitt Gorilla
08-03-2001, 02:48 PM
I still consider the Martin City Smokestack (Jackstack) my personal Mecca. Absolutely the best ends. I'm beginning to openly salivate.