PDA

View Full Version : Dilfer to join Seahawks

The Bad Guy
08-02-2001, 07:21 PM
According to ESPNews, Trent Dilfer has agreed in principle on a deal with the Seahawks to backup Matt Hasselbeck.

So much for all his talk about wanting to be a starter and if he couldn't he would sit out a year.

Or this could be a sign that Hasselbeck is struggling.

This could get interesting.

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 07:24 PM
I'm not a Dilfer fan (by any stretch of the imagination) but I'd be happier if he'd gone to a non-division team. I'm always paranoid when someone in the division signs a player we brought in...

Joe Seahawk
08-02-2001, 07:51 PM
This is suprising...It's a good move I guess, but I wonder what kind of money was offered.....Joe
scratching his head

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 07:54 PM
You didn't have a QB on the roster with any real experience Joe, unless I'm mistaken, so it makes some sense. Can't hurt I guess.

Like I said, I get hesitant whenever a division rival hires a guy we brought in but didn't sign. Somehow it always seems to bite you in the butt somehow.

Joe Seahawk
08-02-2001, 08:05 PM
I was totally blindsided by this...I have questions

1..Was this an insurance move in the event Hasselback falls on his face?

2.. Was this just a move to put more competition into the QB position?

3.. Was this just a move to add more regular season (and playoff, and superbowl) experience to the position?

4.. Did Holmgren take too many bonghits today?

Whatever the reason, I cant really find a reason to be against it.....Joe

everyone's mom
08-02-2001, 08:18 PM
A combo of 1 and 4.

Pray for Hassleblech, though, I don't fear any team lead by Dilfer(Unless they have Baltimore's D).

Seriously, what's the word on Hassleblack? Does he look good? Are the players excited about him?

Mile High Mania
08-02-2001, 08:22 PM
I think it's a smart move... no real experience at QB now with the Seahawks and no gurantee that Matt will be worth a damn.

If the Seahawks have the rest of the offense clicking, then Dilfer will prove to be a wise choice. Not too shabby. As long as he has the weapons and is simply asked not to be the hero, he'll be fine.

NaptownChief
08-02-2001, 08:24 PM
Smells like a struggling Hass to me...Gawd am I glad we didn't trade for that bum...

NaptownChief
08-02-2001, 08:28 PM
BTW, I still stand by my prediction that I made immediately after the Hass trade and that is Brock H. will be the starting QB by the end of the season...

Joe Seahawk
08-02-2001, 08:29 PM
Hasselback is getting better, but he still needs a lot of reps to get his timing down..

Dilfer rarely turns the ball over, and last year we had a big problem with that from the qb position. So it is good to have a cautious veteran on the bench in case of injury. Huard has looked very good by all press reports I've seen so who is our #2 qb? Dilfer or Huard? hmmmm

The Bad Guy
08-02-2001, 08:37 PM
I don't know about rarely turning the ball over.

The guy threw 11 INTs when he was a starter for the Ravens in 12 games. To me, that tells me he coughs it up.

Joe Seahawk
08-02-2001, 08:39 PM
I just talked to Holmy...He said he signed him so he can trade him to the Chiefs for draft picks, After Trent Green goes down with knee problems...:) :p

J/K

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 08:40 PM
I'll give you two 8th rounders in the 2002 draft Joe.

NaptownChief
08-02-2001, 08:40 PM
Frank,

I agree, especially when you consider they "dumbed" down the offense for him and Banks...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2001, 08:45 PM
Joe,

Honestly, who would you rather have...Dilfer, Hasselback, or Trent Green?

Joe Seahawk
08-02-2001, 08:45 PM
I really doubt he will see any time, unless Hass and Huard are hurt..

I'm interested to see what Holmgren has to say..I'm guessing it's purely an insurance move..

NaptownChief
08-02-2001, 08:50 PM
You have to remember that Dilfer had offers from Indy, GB and a handful of others...He turned them down cause they offered absolutely no opportunity for a starting job...Thus tells me he right or wrong believes this is his best chance at a starting job.

Joe Seahawk
08-02-2001, 08:51 PM
Cody, After last season when we began our QB search my first choice was Hasselback followed by Green..The reason I wanted Hass was his upside potential with minimum salary impact (Minimum salary this year). Grbac was WAY too expensive IMO Green was going to take at least a #1 plus he has injury problems. For those reasons Hass was my #1 choice...Who is a better NFL qb right now? I would say Green, but ask me again in a year or two....Joe

NaptownChief
08-02-2001, 08:53 PM
a year or two from now Hass will resume his role as one of the most sought after "backup QB's" all over again...:D

Joe Seahawk
08-02-2001, 09:04 PM
jl80, you really think so? I dunno, the kid seems to have pretty good leadership abilities and is smart as hell..He has all the tools he just needs experience..I think you may be unpleasantly suprised...:D

Huard has just as much potential IMO, if he can stay healthy

redhed
08-02-2001, 09:05 PM
for the Hawks. Dilfer may not blow yer mind with awesome stats but he's got the hardware...

The guy's got a decent arm and a better head, he'll probably start a coupla games. Holmgren is hedging his bets.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2001, 09:12 PM
IMO, Dilfer said that he would only go somewhere where he could get the chance to start. Well, just my thoughts, but, I think Holmy called up Dilfer and said something like, "I'm not sure that Hasselback can do it, he's been struggling, so..." or vice versa, Dilfer called him, etc.

CG

feels the reason why Dilfer is a Seahawk is because Holmy isn't "fo sho" about Hasselback, but...

thats JMO.

CanadaKC
08-02-2001, 09:47 PM
Oh my God...what good news for Chief fans!!! The Seahawks must foresee big trouble with Hassleback at the helm to sign Dilfer. If Dilfer gets the start somewhere down the line...
Ricky Watters is going to snap!! Can you imagine an ego like Ricky getting barked at by a lemonass like Dilfer? LOL!!!

Joe Seahawk
08-03-2001, 12:20 AM
21:57 PT: As an update to an earlier story, Percy Allen reports for the Seattle Times a team source said QB Trent Dilfer, expected to sign tomorrow, will not compete with QB Matt Hasselbeck for the starting QB job with the Seattle Seahawks. It is expected he will push reserves Brock Huard, Travis Brown and rookie Josh Booty for a spot on the team's depth chart.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a little veteran depth...thats all.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 12:23 AM
Yeah, shizal:rolleyes:

I mean, sure (damn snoop)

keg in kc
08-03-2001, 12:24 AM
Sounds familiar, Joe...

The Ravens signed free-agent QB Trent Dilfer to a one-year, $1 million contract Wednesday.

The former Buccaneer lost his starting job to rookie Shaun King after breaking his right collarbone Nov. 28 at Seattle. Dilfer became expendable after King led the Bucs to the NFC championship game.

Baltimore was looking for a veteran to back up starter Tony Banks, who began last season as the third-stringer but moved into the starting lineup and played well.

Joe Seahawk
08-03-2001, 12:38 AM
Keg,...LOL too funny! damn, That is a spooky looking archive you dug up there (insert twilight zone music) Oh, but wait! they ended up winning the Superbowl! I'll take it!...:p

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 12:41 AM
Na..that isn't going to happen, Joe.

Maybe next year though.:rolleyes:

:D

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 12:44 AM
The chances are very good (thanks to parity) that there will be two new teams in the Super Bowl this year, and etc. Am I right?

Heck, the Bears could make it.:eek:

Sad, but true.

kcred
08-03-2001, 07:24 AM
Things like this are why pre TC predictions are fallible at best. So far, Seattle signs Dilfer, raising questions about Hass, Denver trades for Davis, what about O'Neal and Middlebrook, OL has questions for a change, TD practicing very limited. San Diego can't even keep their RBs healthy against their own defense, Oakland having trouble with some positions, and the Chiefs lose Morris. Got to continue to watch for the upcoming weeks, to get any idea of how we stack up on September 9th.

Packfan
08-03-2001, 04:07 PM
Its about time Dilfer signed with somebody. There arent many jobs that pay 1 million a year. Hass would have to either get hurt or fall flat on his face for Dilfer to take over. Hass is their QB of the future.

Put Dilfer on any other team than the Ravens and he is no better than a 9 or 10 game winner. Hell, the Ravens were still winning when Tony Banks failed to get them in the enzone for five straight games. What does that tell you?

Last year, Dilfer was at the right place at the right time. He is still a very average QB.

DaWolf
08-04-2001, 07:43 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/home/nfl_news.cfm?source=st&cont_id=69659
Dilfer instructed his agent to contact the Seahawks in May, but, apparently, it wasn't until last week that they responded. There is no explanation for the delay, but Matt Hasselbeck's incomplete passes in training camp might have had something to do with the sudden interest.

LOL...

ChiefGator
08-04-2001, 08:04 PM
Dilfer is an average at best QB by the standards we had five years ago. Unfortunately, I would place him definitely in the top 50% of the QB's starting next year. He fit Raven's needs exactly, and he needs another strong defensive team. TB's offense was putrid under King last year... which shows how much of that offense WAS Dilfer. I watched ALOT of Dilfer's balls be dropped by WR's in Tampa and I'm not convinced there are any good receivers in Baltimore either, except perhaps washed up Sharpe...

The current state of QB's in the NFL is a little sad... that is why Grbac is suddenly one of the top 5 QB's in the league... thanks to the retirement of the great QB class...

Mark

redhed
08-04-2001, 09:38 PM
Maybe a lil' motivation for the young'ns? Heck, he might not even make the roster if what I'm reading in this thread is right.

Ah, the subtleties of NFL roster headgames...

Joe Seahawk
08-04-2001, 10:10 PM
(On if Trent Dilfer has been told if he has an opportunity to be the number one quarterback…)

"No, he's been told Matt Hasselbeck is our number one quarterback. He is going to get ready to play. He is a starting quarterback, I think Brock Huard is a starting quarterback. I've said that all along, but were going to give Matt a chance to do this thing. Nothing changes, let's not make more of this than it is. We had a chance to pick up a very fine player in my opinion and a veteran which is as important as anything else. So if something should happen during the season and we get stuck, okay I can stick a guy in a game perhaps that has played and that has won a Super Bowl. Not many teams can say that."

(On if it's better to have Trent in camp now instead of later…)

"Oh yeah, it would have been better last week, than this week. This was his decision. He had other options. You know in all my dealings with players, I try to be up-front with them. I don't want anyone to come in and think it's going to be a certain way and then it's another way and then they're unhappy and it doesn't work very well. He had some things that he had to deal with and think about before the decision was made, so we just gave him time."

Joe Seahawk
08-05-2001, 12:35 AM
(On wanting to be a starter…)

"I wanted to be a starter but understood there really was only one job out there that was really appealing. That was Kansas City. I felt through that interview process and that period of time, I did everything I could to get that job and I didn't. They decided to go with the other Trent (Green). From that time on there was this and waiting to see if there was an injury, maybe waiting the entire season. This was something that was always in the forefront. When I came out in the draft Coach Holmgren was someone who spoke very highly of me. I was excited to play against him when I was in Tampa. I have watched him very closely. He has a great reputation for developing quarterbacks. You can't argue with the system given the success it's had. I am not too proud to say that I can still hone a lot of skills that I have. There is still a lot of improvement I can do. I felt that he was the guy and this was system and the staff that could help me do that. The backup thing is what it is. My first priority is to be the best backup in the league and to help Matt (Hasselbeck) anyway I can. My track record speaks for itself. You can talk to the people in Baltimore about how I handled the Tony Banks situation. It is something I take great pride in, whatever my role is at that time, I will do whatever it takes to be the best at it."

Chiefs Pantalones
08-05-2001, 02:19 AM
HB,

Your alive! Thank God you safe!!!

CG

glad to see HB is back from the Raiders game in one piece.

No friendly fire?:D

j/k;)