PDA

View Full Version : Ahh, music to my ears: Out with Kurt's soft zone, in with the physical stuff...

DaWolf
08-02-2001, 10:22 PM
Nice article at the Star regarding our hard hitting safety duo...

Chiefs at ease with Woods and Wesley (http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/sports.pat,sports/3accde0c.802,.html)

Robinson's early comfort level speaks volumes, because he's asking the safeties to do different things than former defensive coordinator Kurt Schottenheimer.

Under Schottenheimer, the Chiefs primarily played soft zones, which called for Woods and Wesley to lie back in coverage and read what was happening in front of them.

Robinson prefers to lock his corners into man-to-man coverage and use the safeties to blitz, cover and roam the secondary. Aside from the occasional blown coverage, which is understandable given the newness of the system, Woods and Wesley appear to be adjusting nicely.

"It's a lot more complicated," Wesley said. "The defense we ran last year was a lot more predictable. This year, the safeties are involved in everything. Sometimes we're back, sometimes we're covering somebody, and sometimes we're up in the box to play the run. I like that. Now you never know where a guy is coming from, and I think it's going to be better for us because we have great athletes back there."

So far, the changes haven't limited either player's thirst for contact. Wesley in particular has had to hold back from pounding his own players in practice.

Although still relatively new to the position, having started only 22 games at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, where he was a walk-on, Wesley is a natural when it comes to contact. He could quickly earn mention with established NFL hitmen like Minnesota's Robert Griffith and Tampa Bay's John Lynch.

"You could tell from the first day we put on pads that Greg is a hitter," Robinson said.

Even when the Chiefs don full pads, practice etiquette calls for defensive players to hold up on contact. Yet there are times when it seems that Wesley almost can't help himself.

"Yeah, that's Wes," Woods said with a proud smile. "It seems like he's always in the right place at the right time. Sometimes in practice, I have to tell him, `Hey, slow down, those are our teammates. We don't want to be hurting ourselves or our team.' I have to remind him to save it for a game."

Then again, Woods also likes the idea of opponents feeling fear when they roll through the Chiefs' secondary.

"It's very important that we have that reputation," Woods said. "If receivers know that you're going to knock the snot out of them, they'll be more careful about coming across the middle. That's all I heard in the offseason. People were like, `Man, you and Wes be stickin' those fools.' That's how we want people to think of us."

keg in kc
08-02-2001, 11:34 PM
"It's very important that we have that reputation," Woods said. "If receivers know that you're going to knock the snot out of them, they'll be more careful about coming across the middle. That's all I heard in the offseason. People were like, `Man, you and Wes be stickin' those fools.' That's how we want people to think of us
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Saggysack
08-02-2001, 11:48 PM
Last year I had some serious doubts about the safety position. After game 2 my fears were extinquished completely, G.Wesley was extremely undervalued coming into the draft and I would like to thank Gunther and Carl for finding this "diamond in the ruff". I remember during that draft when KC announced him as their choice everyone had this instant thought "Who the hell is Greg Wesley". Well now we know, everyone knows and there isn't any 4th year player or below on KC's squad that I have more confidence in than Greg Wesley

Gaz
08-03-2001, 06:40 AM
I LIKE this article.

But here is the best part:

Robinson prefers to lock his corners into man-to-man coverage and use the safeties to blitz, cover and roam the secondary.

Pass D the way it was meant to be.

Now, give me some crushed QBs and I will be a happy camper.

xoxo~
Gaz
Afterglowing.

KCTitus
08-03-2001, 06:50 AM
The defense we ran last year was a lot more predictable.

Amen.

Warrior5
08-03-2001, 07:27 AM
is a post to start off the day, especially a Friday. Speaking of Friday, isn't next week the first Red Friday?

I <B>love</B> this quote:

<I>People were like, `Man, you and Wes be stickin' those fools.' That's how we want people to think of us.</I>

ExtremeChief
08-03-2001, 07:39 AM
XXXXCELLENT!!!!!!

I can take the occasional cornerback getting burnt as long as we have people flying around knocking the $hit out of opponents...

gonna love seeing Wesley crushing a QB on a safety blitz...

chief mohawk
08-03-2001, 08:11 AM
Early in the season last year( i think it was the titains game) i knew wesley was a special player and someone not afraid to put his head down on a big hit. there was times last year when i thought that wesley could honestiy kill someone on the field!:cool:

Alton deFlat
08-03-2001, 08:15 AM
Wesley is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It's great to see his picture on the pocket schedule I picked up.

htismaqe
08-03-2001, 09:18 AM
This is quite possibly the best article I've seen about the defense yet.

MAN TO MAN COVERAGE with HEADHUNTERS at safety!!!

The way it was meant to be...

Warrior5
08-03-2001, 09:25 AM
Forget who we had last year, but the objective updates we got were outstanding. Also gave us a chance to ask for specific things to look for.
For one, I've heard NOTHING on Jamar Threatts...not sure if that's an indication of unremarkable play or not.

Mark M
08-03-2001, 09:26 AM
Sounds beautiful! :D The safeties are definitely the strength of the D.

Of course, with our corners, having free-roaming, hard-hitting safeties is going to be very, very important. Gotta feeling either Woods or Wesley will lead the team in tackles this year.

MM
~~Getting giddy.

BIG_DADDY
08-03-2001, 09:46 AM
Wesley hits as hard as any safety I have ever seen. I remember one play last season ( I think it was the Titans ) where they had a guard pull to the outside. The only Chief there was Wesley. He hit the guard so hard he knocked him back into the running back and took both of them out. :eek: OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

BIG DADDY

This kids going to be a lot a fun to watch this year.

lakeman
08-03-2001, 11:10 AM
I saw it in the first game against the Colts! Remember James trying to turn the corner and ending up in the first row of seats! Yeahhh Baby!:p

ptlyon
08-03-2001, 11:56 AM
I mean @()$*(*%. He was always a worthless )#(*, tugging on his big brothers shirt strings...

I mean for ()@# sakes how can he... AW! NEVER MIND.

talcool1
08-03-2001, 04:03 PM
I feel Mr. Wesley impressed everyone who saw or felt one of his hits last year.
I see a probowl in this young mans future.

D
:cool:

dtebbe
08-03-2001, 04:31 PM
No question, Wesley is OLD SCHOOL! Gotta love him!

DT

tommykat
08-03-2001, 10:10 PM
lakeman

YOU have to remember one important factor! That was last year under a whole different coaching staff. This is THIS year and all new!:D I thought Wesley was pretty awesome last yr. just look out this yr. Whoa...........;)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 11:09 PM
kat,

Are you drinking again?

KCJohnny
09-24-2002, 09:50 AM
:p

Pitt Gorilla
09-24-2002, 09:54 AM
yeah, Tampa Bay's soft zone last night cost them the game....What?.....Oh, check that, WON them the game.