PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Dyslexia (serious)

Archie F. Swin
08-03-2001, 08:20 AM
Yesterday I changed my signature pic to prepare us for the first game of the regular season. I was really happy with the result, and hoped that my fellow "Planeteers" would enjoy the pic. It wasn't until this morning that I realized I mis-spelled my messge within the pic. It's these type of small embarassing moments that dyslexics have to deal with regularly. Especially people like me who spend hours a day typing messages online. I know, in my heart, that I'm a smart feller . . . If you spoke with me in person you would likely agree. But when I mis-spell common words on a regular basis , its hard to maintain a intelligent image.

Dyslexia, is far from the worst impairment a person could have, and I refuse to seek the sympathy from anyone for my problems with perception. In fact, in some books, Dylexia has been called a "gift". Heck, I didn't find out until I was 27 that I likely had this "problem ", so I handled myself well up to that point (save for my marks in school).

I was just wondering If anyone else on the Planet is Dyslexic and wanted to talk(type) about it.

bishop_74
08-03-2001, 08:38 AM
I accept you for who you are. Just remember... you nice enough... your smart enough... and gosh darnit... people like you, especially us. ;)

HC_Chief
08-03-2001, 08:42 AM
Dyslexics untie!

err, unite! :p

Neil Smith has dyslexia

Archie F. Swin
08-03-2001, 08:48 AM
HC.

Bwahahahahaha!

dyslexics untie!
that's hilarious . . . I'm gonna use that in the future

Warrior5
08-03-2001, 08:56 AM
You'll sympathy no get us from!:mad: oops, I mean:)

I'm reminded of the Sherriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"

Seriously, it's great that you have such a healthy attitude towards this. My wife is dyslexic. She suspected it for awhile, but wasn't diagnosed until after we were married. Her response is much like yours, and it's never been a problem, except when she tries to give directions to someone over the phone.

Lightning Rod
08-03-2001, 08:57 AM
U and me bud

Thank dog for spel ckhek

ExtremeChief
08-03-2001, 09:04 AM
I was told by my mother that I had dyslexia as a child, she said she worked with me hours upon end until I came out of it...I don't know if it is really something you can come out of or be cured of. I also believe there are many different forms of dislexia as well, it isn't simply seeing things backwards. I really dont know much about it.

did you hear about the dyslexic athiest????? ( no Mark, this isn't directed at you ;) )

he still didn't believe there was a DOG...

Bob Dole
08-03-2001, 09:36 AM
Bob Dole thought is was the dyslexic agnostic who regularly questioned the existence of dog.

Anyway, Bob Dole's ex-wfie was seriously dyslexic. Both her brothers suffer from dyslexia as well, with the older brother having minor problems and the younger having major problems (up to the point that he was labeled as "learning disabled" in school).

Bob Dole always admired the effort she put into college. At the time of her ACT exam, they didn't allow exam assistance as they do now (someone to read you the questions), and she scored so poorly that the high school counselor tried to talk her out of attending college. She went anyway, but had to work 3 times harder than most.

By the time she worked through a page of text, she'd struggled so much on the individual words that the overall content was lost. To work around that, she'd read the text into a tape recorder, then listen to the recorder and take notes, then read her notes into the tape recorder and listen to them over and over. A huge task compared to what most of us experience.

We know more about it now than we did 20 years ago, but it's still sort of mysterious. The last study Bob Dole read indicated that scientists now think that dyslexia is related to autism...

Fat Elvis
08-03-2001, 09:46 AM
I'm dyslexic.

I can't write, I can only print. I type slow as heck. I like the internet because I like to read, and on the net, everything is so condensed. I don't read fiction (novels) because I can't follow the story or plot, but I do enjoy non-fiction like physics books and the like (they tend to be broken up and compartmentalized). I don't think dyslexia reflects upon your intellect; I've been tested and scored in the, well, scary smart range. I'm a good reader, I just have to reread everything 2 or 3 times to make sure I got it right. Nothing to be ashamed of as far as I'm concerned.

Archie F. Swin
08-03-2001, 10:21 AM
I don't read novels either. My favorite reads include Almanacs and Atlases . . . I'm a sucker for statistics and geography and the like. My wife can read at an incredible pace . . . I have to admit, I get jealous at times. She's read all the Harry Potter books and regularly mentions how great they are. Reading is so laborous for me, I may never realize the wonder of a novel . . I have to wait for the movie. Just like you, things I choose to read I have to read multiple times to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Bob Dole,

My wife is a SPeech-Language Pathologist and she agrees that there seems to be an association between Dyslexia and Autism . . they both effect the way a person percieves the world around them.

Archie F. Swin
08-03-2001, 10:26 AM
BTW Elvis . . .

have you ever had to stop in the middle of your signature and figure out how your gonna end it . . . or figure out what letter comes next?

Otter
08-03-2001, 10:45 AM
Question:

And this is asked with the upmost respect but, your not diagnosing yourself with dyslexia based on your spelling ability are you?

I often make mis-spellings but its because I type fast and have become dependent on spell checkers.

Fat Elvis
08-03-2001, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Chief Red Pants
BTW Elvis . . .

have you ever had to stop in the middle of your signature and figure out how your gonna end it . . . or figure out what letter comes next?

More often than I care to admit. the sad thing is, when I do get it right, I still can't read it. A couple of weeks ago I signed something and the person who saw it said, "What the hell is that?" It's looks worse than that chicken scratch that Charlie Brown's teacher used to write.....

Fat Elvis
08-03-2001, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Otter
Question:

And this is asked with the upmost respect but, your not diagnosing yourself with dyslexia based on your spelling ability are you?

I often make mis-spellings but its because I type fast and have become dependent on spell checkers.

No, it's not really based on spelling ability at all. It's a perceptual (dis)order. In fact, many people with dyslexia are very good spellers, especially verbally. As a child, I always did well in spelling bees, but it was verbal.

To this day, I still can't tell the difference between right and left. I have to look at my hands. The only way I can tell is that I have a small birthmark on my right hand, so it's "right on the dot." Another misperception is that all dyslexics see (some) letters backwards; I don't. Though at times I do see words that aren't there, or conversely don't see words that are there--or I see words in place of other words.

TexN
08-03-2001, 12:54 PM
I am a friend of BroncoFans, and he's not dislexic or anything, but he does have to pee sitting down. I just thought I should share it with you guys.

Bob Dole
08-03-2001, 01:12 PM
Need a good laugh, TexN? Ask BF to play darts sometime...

Rausch
08-03-2001, 01:49 PM
Not dyslexic, but my uncle is color blind BAD...

HIs whife left town to go to a friends funeral. He had a conference in springfield. Showed up at HOOTERS with a red shirt, brown pants, green tie....

Poor guy, looked like a K-Mart pimp....Thank God WE have pictures and HE has a sense of humor. He's a retired power lifter....Who's gonna' make fun of him ANYWAY! :D

47mack
08-05-2001, 09:18 AM
Brad

That is the funniest thing I have ever read.