PDA

View Full Version : Is this amount of injuries in TC normal?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 09:51 PM
Almost all of our WRs are out with injuries (serious?) etc,.

Go to the TC site and see for yourself.

Should we be worried? Are they serious?:eek: Are the players not well conditioned, or too hard of practice or what?:confused:

CG

hopes we get rid of the injury bug before the regular season starts (and pray it doesn't follow us into the reg. season)

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2001, 09:59 PM
It's nothing to worry about

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2001, 10:03 PM
I hope you're right, CP:(

keg in kc
08-03-2001, 10:07 PM
Nothing at all to be worried about. We haven't had any major injuries except for SlyMo (knock on wood) and most of the other WRs seem to be held out for precautionary reasons (i.e. Horne). We're lucky enough so far (knock on wood again) to be dealing with minor sprains and strains and people rehabbing from offseason surgery (Williams/Green) and we've not had any broken bones (Tiki Barber), hamstring pulls (Mike Alstott, Koren Robinson) or knee injuries (Santana Moss - although Larry Atkins did have his leg problem).

DV said Snoop's injury is nothing to worry about, and Horne says the same about his hammy.

The player I'm most curious about is Terdell Sands - he's had a foot problem all summer. I don't think he had any shot at the roster anyway, but I'm still a little puzzled by it and wonder what the deal is.

Bob Dole
08-04-2001, 12:15 AM
DV said earlier that Snoop's ankle wasn't serious, but according to the UWRF site, he showed up at the afternoon practice in an air cast.

Tony Horne has a hamstring sprain. They've not given any details on Alexander's achilles, but those tend to mend slowly.

Doesn't sound real peachy to Bob Dole...

California Injun
08-04-2001, 12:49 AM
Today's players are a bunch of wimps!!

They fatten up in the off-season and then report to TC in poor shape.

Funny how you never really heard much about this in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I realize the media plays these things up more but this is ridiculous.

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 12:58 AM
Well, cal injun, think about it...

In the 60s, 70s and 80s did they have The Internet (or BBS like this one)? Sports Talk Radio, complete with local and national coverage at the training camps? Local Cable Shows like Metro Sports Talk with detailed camp coverage? ESPN (1,2 and news) or Fox Sports Net?

It's almost information overload...

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 01:05 AM
Here's what the Star had to say about Minnis and Alexander in their evening camp update:

...Alexander and Minnis were out because of injuries that are not considered serious...

California Injun
08-04-2001, 01:09 AM
kyle,

I'm aware of the media's spin on these things but I stand by my statement that today's players show up out of shape more often than not.

With the advances in steroids and the speed of the NFL, you're gonna get hurt if you passed up the weight room for the buffet table.

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 01:20 AM
I'm not talking about media spin, cal, I'm just talking sheer media coverage. I tend to think we hear more bad news simply because there's more coverage, not necessarily because there's that much of a change in the players.

Also, keep in mind that there weren't really camps like this before the mid-70s anyway unless I'm mistaken (Vermeil pioneered this in Philly as I recall).

Another thing is the advancement of medicine and training. Just because players 30 years ago would "play until they puke" doesn't mean it was the right way to do it, and the same thing could be said for guys today who might be sitting out with injuries that might not even have been diagnosed years ago. I can't speak for other teams, but I'm pretty confident that, with the exception of Dan Williams, all of our players worked-out hard in the offseason. Coach Vermeil, as a matter of fact, has spoken several times about how well/hard the guys worked in the offseason, both in conditioning and learning the playbook. The only guy I've heard him questioning was Tony Gonzalez, and he even says that TGs basketball is good conditioning. I don't think we had guys showing up overweight in camp (and maybe that's why we haven't had anything but minor injuries).

You could be right. Maybe I'm wrong, and guaranteed contracts or "touchy-feely" coaching have made players lazy or soft, but I really don't buy into that too much. The only player I'm questioning at this point, at least on the Chiefs, is Dan Williams, and we'll see early next week what sort of shape he is/isn't in.

California Injun
08-04-2001, 01:31 AM
Maybe I'm confusing physical shape and football shape. I realize it is pretty tough to simulate contact prior to TC, but these players should know what it requires once the pads go on.

Then again,the prevalence of steroids puts an incredible stress upon the body. With only 5-10% body fat on their frames, they have no cushion to avoid the bones and ligaments from injury.

Maybe this is why the big lineman stay realtively injury free?

alanm
08-04-2001, 01:34 AM
You know the old timers used to pop a couple of pain pills, shoot up some novacaine and go out and tough it out. Todays players they get a little owie their out for the week. Cal's right todays players are wimps. And with the money their making they should be ashamed.

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 01:40 AM
That body fat percentage is a good point, Cal.

Alanm, you can mock today's players all you want, but the fact of the matter is that they're a whole new level of athlete and the bar keeps getting raised every year. Now you have 300+ pound linemen who can bench press a small car yet run a sub 5.0 40 (but not at the same time ;)) You've starting to see 240 pound running backs with sub 4.4 speed and lateral movement. The large majority of these guys are *phenomenal* athletes and every year you see something even more amazing. A couple of years it was Randy Moss, a 6'4 200 pound wide out with unbelievable vertical jumping ability and 4.2 speed. This year it's Mike Vick, a 6'3 quarterback with passing skills and 4.3 speed.

A couple of years from now, it'll be something else. Someone will go beyond...

Hmm, maybe it's like technology - the more advanced you get, the easier it is to break down.

alanm
08-04-2001, 01:53 AM
Yeah I know "Bigger, faster,stronger" But I would venture to say you will never see another Hacksaw Reynolds playing a playoff game on a broken leg again. :D

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 02:01 AM
Only because the trainer and team doctor would never let him on the field. There's plenty of tough guys in the league, and a few of them play for us.

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 02:16 AM
Some more on Minnis, this time from Rick Dean of the Capital-Journal:

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- The Chiefs practiced without their top two receivers Friday. That was bad news for rookie Snoop Minnis, but an opportunity for new acquisitions Derrick Mayes and Chris Thomas.

Minnis, who had been working with the first-team offense, turned an ankle in Thursday's evening practice. Coach Dick Vermeil said the injury is not serious and predicted that Minnis would return to practice in a "couple of days." But the Florida State product was limping noticably and was wearing an air cast on his injured leg.

Kansas City's other starting receiver, Derrick Alexander, missed a second straight day with a strained Achilles tendon.

That opened the door for Mayes, the former Seattle Seahawk, and Thomas, who was with the Rams last year, to work with first team in Friday afternoon's only major workout of the day. The Chiefs did a special teams-only session that morning.

"They get an opportunity, and that's good," Vermeil said. "I think I know what those other guys can do, based on last year.

"Chris Thomas, who's done a good job all along, we know what he can do because we've coached him. Derrick Alexander, they didn't give him the (team) MVP title last year for a Christmas present. Evidently, he earned it. We haven't seen (that kind of effort) yet, but hopefully, we will. But Snoop needs the work."

The Chiefs also have worked much of the first week without Tony Horne, the kickoff returner-receiver candidate who is nursing a sore hamstring.

Mayes was signed by the Chiefs only after they'd completed their offseason conditioning program.

"I've only had the playbook in my hands for maybe six days now," said Mayes, who caught 65 passes in 1999 for Seattle. "Right now my brain is like that fried egg in the commercial."

KCGannonStalker
08-04-2001, 07:15 AM
Am I the only one that notices how many more preseason injuries we've seen in Kansas City since Carl Peterson let the hated Raiders have Rich Gannon?

We all know that when Rich was here, he provided veteran leadership on the field, but we forget that he was an integral part of our offseason programs too! Without Rich Gannon here to mentor the younger players and lead by example, they've gotten lazy with the offseason conditioning and pre-practice warmups. How do you pull a hamstring in heat like we've had this summer? I'll tell you how. There's not a calesthenics leader like Rich Gannon around! Rich Gannon isn't in camp walking from player to player during warmups, sharing his vision and inspoirational veteran leadership. (Before you balk at the concept, just try to imagine how a player like Rich Gannon maintains such a cute butt. Exercise is how he does it!)

All these injuries in training camp are just another in a long series of examples of how Carl Peterson screwed the pooch when he chose Elvis over Rich Gannon.

kcred
08-04-2001, 07:22 AM
Regardless of whether they are wimping out, or being held out, or whatever, they are losing reps. It has been stated all over the media, we are installing a new offense, and this takes timing, etc. So all of these days on the sideline are not helping us. Keg brings up my favorite player, Dan Williams. This dickhead is the biggest cancer on the 01 Chiefs. As much as I hated Glock and his 5 yd. penalties, he at least, demanded double team blocking, that is now going to be reserved for Hicks or Clemons. And from the TC reports I have read, we seem to have found several DL to step up and give us those penalties that Glock used to. After one week of camp, I find the reports less than glowing about the Chiefs so far.