PDA

View Full Version : DV still doesn't sound too impressed with DA

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 12:09 AM
I was afraid of this, although I hoped Alexander might have matured a little bit. We have a lot of youth and inexperience on the reciever corps and I really hoped he'd suck it up and be a leader and a team player. Oh well, here's the story:

KCStar POSITION ANALYSIS: FLANKER (http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/chiefs98.pat,sports/3accded8.803,.html)

Alexander has missed the last two days of practice, but based on past performance he appears to be the least of the Chiefs' worries at receiver. Last season, he put up Pro Bowl-type numbers (78 receptions, 1,391 yards and 10 touchdowns) and received the Derrick Thomas Award as the team's most valuable player.

But it remains to be see how Alexander will adjust to a new offensive system -- one that relies less on play action and more on precise route running to get its receivers open.

Vermeil has expressed frustration with Alexander's performance thus far in camp and says he doesn't know how Alexander will fit into the new system.

"I'm not sure, I can only base it on what he did last year," Vermeil said. "They didn't give him the MVP trophy for a Christmas present. Evidently he earned it. We haven't seen it yet -- but hopefully we will."

With the injury to Alexander, Thomas is getting an opportunity he's waited for since graduating from Cal Poly-SLO in 1995. In six NFL seasons with San Francisco, Washington and St. Louis, Thomas had only 32 receptions and played mostly on special teams.

He did pick up a Super Bowl ring as a special-teams performer with Vermeil's 1999 Rams. But Thomas is working to earn extended playing time as a receiver for the first time.

Because of the lack of experienced receivers in camp and his knowledge of the offense, Thomas says he's in a good situation.

"You hate to get a chance to play because of someone going down, but when it happens, everyone has to step up their game," Thomas said. "I'm just trying to do that. I came in knowing it was a good opportunity to play, and now I know it's wide open."

alanm
08-04-2001, 12:39 AM
DA's a notorious bad practice guy. But he does his job when it's for real. I think he likes to make the coaches pull out their hair at practice :D

kcred
08-04-2001, 06:27 AM
Keg, you're right, not a ringing endorsement.

HC_Chief
08-04-2001, 09:39 AM
What alanm said... :D

DV knows DA is capable of greatness. Heck, he gained nearly 1400 yards and scored almost 10 TDs last season. NO WAY does DA lose his job to anyone... <i>especially</i> Chris Thomas!

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 02:21 PM
HC, I'm not at all concerned about whether he loses his job or not, I'm concerned about the example he's setting. I mean, come on! We criticize Dan Williams to no end for his laziness on one hand, but on the other say it's okay for DA because he's a "gameday" guy?

(which I argue is not entirely true - he's still inconsistent, even last year).

Think about this: in the past DA basically had two jobs, run blocking and getting open however he could in play action. No big deal there... Now he's responsible for learning a whole new system predicated on running sharp routes and getting *perfect* timing with the quarterback. Martyball is gone and he's still not working?

I hope come September, when Trent Green's getting crucified for throwing interceptions into dead space, people remember this, because chances are it won't be because Green's an idiot, it'll be because DA is running the wrong route or is out of position or the two simply aren't in sinc. I don't think Green's gonna pull a Grbac and call the poor route running out either; he'll probably shoulder the load for all of it. And like I said, he'll be crucified.

And that doesn't even touch on the fact that we've got 3 rookie receivers in camp all watching DA be DA. I hope Vermeil handles this somehow, because we need a leader among the receivers now more than ever.

HC_Chief
08-04-2001, 03:35 PM
DA really doesn't seem the 'mentor' type to me. The guy is very soft-spoken and rather reserved.

I, for one, am not at all worried about our WR's development: we have Al Saunders and Charlie Joyner on the job! :D

:D :D :D

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 03:51 PM
Some more receiver news:

Q: Whatís the problem with the receivers?

VERMEIL: "Too many injuries for a non contact position. With Derrick Alexander, heís got an Achilles tendon strain. Dante Hall, in that 40-yard sprint for pride this morning, strained his hamstring. Tony Horne has a hamstring."

Q: Whatís that a sign of?

VERMEIL: "Bad luck. It happens every year that Iíve been in training camp. You can go in with five fullbacks and in three days youíve got one. You can go in with 15 wide receivers and seven days later youíve got five. Every year itís a specific position that drives you crazy. Right now itís the wide receiver position."

Q: Doesnít this give you a chance to look at Derrick Mayes and other receivers?

VERMEIL: "They get an opportunity. I think I know what those other guys can do. I can only base it on Derrick (Alexander) from last year. They didnít give him the MVP trophy for a Christmas present. Snoop does the work."

Q: But doesnít it give some of the young guys a chance too?

VERMEIL: "There have been a lot of guys in the National Football League that have earned the right to play when somebody else was injured. They get their reps."

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 03:54 PM
HC, not everyone is a vocal leader - the quiet guys lead by example. They work hard and show the rookies how the game is played. DA doesn't even do that, or at least he hasn't in the past and doesn't seem willing to do it now.

alanm
08-04-2001, 05:34 PM
Well maybe DA's just not a company guy. I guess that's just the way he is. If DV can't get him motivated who's going to be able to? Dunno I guess if he really felt his job was in jeopardy he'd be putting out more of an effort. But some guys always loaf in practice. Coaches don't like it but seem to let the guys that produce in games tend to slide in practice. Anyway that's my theory :rolleyes:

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 05:49 PM
If he's not putting in the time, he's holding back the development of the offense, and that will cost us in the early season. If everyone isn't on the same page, and if people aren't exactly where they're supposed to be, this offense will not work, it's that simple. It's about timing and sharp routes, and DA won't be able to rely on what's gotten him by in the past, that being time to work to get open because of play action.

Not working hard during camp means the difference between an offense that begins to work on all cylindars in September and one that starts to work sometime around midseason. I don't like lazy underachievers, and like I said before, that goes as much for DA as it does for Chester the digester. Stats aren't the only ruler I measure players against, and the name of the game here is "what have you done for me lately"; it's a new year with a clean slate, and what DA has done is get chastised repeatedly by the staff for being lazy. I hope I'm wrong and he's working, or that he gets his act together, because I want this team to be solid starting week 1, not sometime in October, and that means everyone has to be work their asses off in camp, including DA.

headsnap
08-04-2001, 06:02 PM
it sounds to me like DV is trying to light a fire under DA's a$$ to get him to work!!

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2001, 06:07 PM
Vermeil WILL upgrade the WR position next year in FA or the 1st round pick. The man seems tepid about this years WR corps.

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 06:20 PM
Yeah, Priority, it's early to predict, but I think that once Gonzo is re-signed, we'll without doubt be focusing on WR next offseason. We're paper-thin at receiver right now, and egardless of what we think about DA, he's not exactly a young guy as receivers go; he's 30 in November. Not long in the tooth by any means, but he's probably not still going to be #1 calibre in 2003. Like him or not, he ain't Jerry Rice, and I don't know that we have a legitimate replacement for him on the squad. SlyMo and Snoop are it in terms of draft picks, and a few rookie free agents. Not the strongest position we have...

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2001, 06:26 PM
I'm looking for KC to make a strong push for Antonio Bryant. No matter their draft position.

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 06:29 PM
I'd tend to agree, Priority.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2001, 06:43 PM
Antonio Bryant?

CG

if you don't mind me asking?:)

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2001, 06:52 PM
http://www.tfydraft.com/2002/Position%20Rankings/WR.htm

Gaffney looks good to

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2001, 06:56 PM
Thanks CP.

I would choose either him or Gaffney. I've heard of Gaffney before, but not Bryant.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-04-2001, 06:58 PM
Gonna go now, I'm gonna take a look at the Raiders vs. Cowboys game...

settle my withdraw:D

ChiefGator
08-04-2001, 08:11 PM
Not sure Gaffney will go Pro next year, he will only be a Sophmore this year. He won the SEC Freshmen of the Year last year and broke all the SEC Freshmen receiving marks. That said, if he does skip out before his Junior year, we may have a chance at him in the draft, just because of his youth. If waits one more year, he will be a top 10 pick.. IMHO...

-Mark