PDA

View Full Version : How cutting Dan Williams would affect the cap (and why we shouldn't cut him)...

DaWolf
08-04-2001, 07:54 PM
From TSN:

USER QUESTION ANSWERED

I'm not too confident in Dan Williams' motivation or possible contribution to the Chiefs' defense this year. Would they take a big cap hit if they cut him?

Brian
Goose Creek, S.C.

It's after June 1, so the Chiefs would actually save money against this year's salary cap by releasing Williams now. He would still cost them about $1.3 million if they let him go, but they would be out about $4.6 million against next year's cap. That's a lot of cap space for a guy not playing.

Don't count on the Chiefs cutting Williams. They are thin at defensive tackle and need his contributions. Unlike Chester McGlockton, no one has questioned Williams' effort when he's on the field.

$4.6 dead cap money against next year's cap would be unacceptable...

aturnis
08-04-2001, 08:56 PM
Lets keep the guy, I think he could contribute tons!:rolleyes: :D

redhed
08-04-2001, 09:17 PM
He's a lazy guy in practice, and a former holdout. Criminy, he missed a whole friggin' year! Buh-bye, and don't let da door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Trimmin' dat fat...

DaWolf
08-04-2001, 10:56 PM
So you guys are willing to handicap us in free agency next year just to get rid of him?

Frankly, he's our best interior lineman. And when healthy (and that hasn't been often) I haven't seen him be lazy. He gets that tag stuck on him because he is injury prone, which is why I was against Carl giving him the contract in the first place. But while I do feel he is usually just taking a paycheck for healing up on the bench, unless he is just a locker room cancer, of which there has been no real allegations of, there is no sense in getting rid of him now.

Of course, next year may be another story...

DaMook
08-04-2001, 11:01 PM
No use in screwing up next years free agency by cutting him now, even if he doesn't start we need the depth.
Keep him one more year, then sha na na na, hey hey hey....
Well you get the idea.

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 11:10 PM
I love the guy when he's on the field. I really do. He was a real terror at times last season, and he apparently had to take injections all year to even get on the field in the first place - his foot was that bad, and I think that says alot about both his work ethic and his dedication. If this surgery worked (big "if" with his history...) this may be the first year he's had two good wheels since we got him. I may say some nasty things about him from time to time, but I don't consider him to be another big fat glock. I think he's a hard worker and a good player, BUT HE'S GOT TO PLAY AT LEAST 14 GAMES!!

This is from the UWRF site: "Defensive lineman Dan Williams could possibly be back by early next week, but Vermeil said he wouldn't rush the eight-year pro"

redhed
08-04-2001, 11:14 PM
We take a 4.6M hit next year? Might as well see what this year brings. Heck, with the proper motivation, anythings possible.

TEX
08-04-2001, 11:28 PM
We can't cut him and can't count on him. I don't hate the player, just the situation. Still better to keep him around...I guess. :confused:

DeepSouth
08-05-2001, 11:09 AM
The only concern I have about keeping Williams is that it might take up a spot that one of the "Work In Progress" players could have. I'd like to see Downing and Sands on the roster this year.

I wonder if we can put Williams on injured reserve???

Recker24
08-05-2001, 11:39 AM
It would be very stupid for KC to cut Dan Williams right now. Especially with him on the verge of coming back. Cut Dan Williams for what? We aren't going to sign anybody worth while in his place anyway, and we will take a huge cap hit for him next season if we cut him now. Let him play out the season. He could suprise a lot of people. Our line is definitely better with him.

Bwana
08-05-2001, 12:24 PM
"no one has questioned Williams' effort when he's on the field."

When does the guy ever get on the field?

No way the Chiefs can take the cap hit for this one, so I hope like hell he stays healthy for at least 10 games.

keg in kc
08-05-2001, 03:50 PM
The only concern I have about keeping Williams is that it might take up a spot that one of the "Work In Progress" players could have. I'd like to see Downing and Sands on the roster this year.

Deepsouth, I like your thinking because it's looking toward the future, but there's two things you should consider:

1) Downing will be on the roster, Williams or no Williams
2) Sands hasn't been active for a single training camp practice so far, so I don't think there's much chance we'll see him at all in 2001.