PDA

View Full Version : Well Whitlock is writing us off.

alanm
08-04-2001, 11:13 PM
Just read his article on the Star. He says give DV time and then predicts a 6-10 finish. I say no way their that bad. But then if Whitless is predicting a lousy year the opposite should happen, Shouldn't it? :D

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 11:17 PM
6-10 is just as possible as 10-6 at this point. It's stupid to predict how this team will perform when we haven't seen them play even a single down against anyone else...

I look at it this way, his prediction is good for us in 2 ways:

1) Our guys see it and it motivates them. Bulletin board material.
2) Guys outside of KC see it and take us lightly.

All in all, though, it's Whitlock, so does it really matter?

DaWolf
08-04-2001, 11:17 PM
It was actually a pretty good article. All things being equal, I am more optimistic but I agree with him. Until Vermiel brings his type of personnel in here, we'll probably have to be a bit patient. He's building the foundation this year, and if we get some breaks and the chemistry is good, we could compete for the division. But this baby probably won't be taking off full speed ahead until next year or year 3. Right now, he's laying the foundation. If everyone grasps it quickly and we take off, all the better...

TEX
08-04-2001, 11:22 PM
6-10 is how I see it also, but it's just my opinion. The schedule is brutal and the division is much improved. I just hope that the Chiefs don't dip below .500 at ARROWHEAD.:confused:

keg in kc
08-04-2001, 11:30 PM
Okay, I finally found the article (http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/sports.pat,sports/3accdf0e.804,.html).

I only disagree with one comment: "Talentwise the Chiefs are a six- or seven-win bunch. "

As I said in my first post, it's ridiculous to judge the team until you actually see them perform against someone else.

Other than that, it was probably the best (read: most objective) Whitless article I've read and it had some good points and raised the same sort of questions that we've been raising on here...

It's way too early to make a prediction though. I'll make mine the week before the season starts, thanks. ;)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-05-2001, 12:35 AM
Just as Kyle said, its too early to make any predictions until we see them play a game. Pretty good article, though. Mostly the same chinese bull **** he says every year.

DaWolf
08-05-2001, 12:44 AM
One big difference between me and Whitless is that he feels Warfield can be a player. I feel Warfield will never be more than the crappy nobody he is. I don't buy into this "He has all the talent in the world" crap.

But if I were in his position coming out of camp thinking that Bartee and Warfield are going to be all right, then I would be feeling very comfortable with this team right now. That position to me is the weakest link...

Frazod
08-05-2001, 12:50 AM
Who gives a damn what Sh!tlock thinks? I don't even read his column anymore. Anybody who hates the Chiefs as much as he does should write a column in a Denver newspaper.

Busters Dad
08-05-2001, 08:52 AM
It's to early to make any predictions on any team, injuries in t.c. can really play havoc on a team.
As a unbiased journalist whitlock would make a good carhop, he still reminds me of Jabba the hut in the star wars movie. all he wants to do is stir up things to increase his readership:cool:

stevieray
08-05-2001, 09:53 AM
I'd much rather have him predict our demise, and prove him wrong, then have him say we will rock, then tank.

And if we do tank, at least we can hold our heads high. Teams will respect this coaching staff.

Dave Lane
08-05-2001, 10:19 AM
Stevieray,

I agree. We will have respect this year but the win column may not show it. The extremely tough division, cap problems, new coaching staff, player losses, injuries (current and down the road) all have the potential to make this a bad year. I could see us win just 4-5 games if the learning curve is bad. Read what Donnie Edwards had to say today in the Star. He says he has no idea what is going on. Kinda scary but it may take half a season to get it in gear and we could be 1-7 or 2-6 by that time. If that happens, we have to do what Whitlock says, be patient. I thought it was a good article and very true but it is posssible it could click early and put us 4-4 at the halfway mark. I think the second half we see improvement for the squad.

Dav

philfree
08-05-2001, 10:33 AM
Donnie did not say he doesn't know what's going on. He said something more like:"Right now, I really don't know what it's going to be like," he said. "We've been installing so much it's kind of sporadic when we play it. I'm still trying to get a feel for it. The other day in practice we went from nickel to regular to dime. It's just all out there so it's hard to tell what direction we're going to go.

"Training camp is always like this. It's always where you get the whole season in in a short period of time but so far we don't get a lot of detail. You have to keep plugging away. It's a learning process for everybody."

He's just not sure of which part of the scheme they will use most of the time. That's the way I interpreted it anyway.

PhilFree :cool:

stevieray
08-05-2001, 10:53 AM
BTW, thanks for setting us up with the killer board, this truly is the Primo Chiefs site. Thank you.

ck_IN
08-05-2001, 01:06 PM
6-10 is what I've been saying all along. It pains me that Whitlock and I are in the same camp though. :)

I can easily see this team going anywhere from 4-12 to 8-8. We're installing a new HC, OC, DC, ST coach, and a new QB. Subsequently, we're installing a new offense and a new defense. We've already lost a major cog in that offense with Slymo and we're replacing him with Mayes, (I hope it's not Minnis, we'll be worse off!) another new player. We've done little to improve and perhaps have subtracted from an already bad defense. And we have the 5th (I think) hardest schedule per power rankings.

Couple all this together and I think a 6-10 prediction is more likely than most.

Brock
08-05-2001, 01:19 PM
I agree, I think 8-8 would be quite an accomplishment.

Dave Lane
08-05-2001, 02:26 PM
philfree,

All I'm saying is the new system is causing confusion with the troops and it may take sometime for it to be natural and "click" with the established guys. In a way the will be like "rookies" this year as they get used to the system.

I for one am willing to be very patient cuz I think we have assembled the best group of coaches the Chiefs have ever had. I really don't care what the record is this year. Obviously, I'd love to see us 16-0 and win the SB but I'm willing to just see steady improvement.

Dave

Stevieray,

Thanks I hope the response time from the server has been good for everyone. It's been killer for me obviously because the server is right in my office :D .

KCJohnny
08-05-2001, 02:40 PM
Ok, first of all, there is no such thing as a three-year-paln anymore, ESPECIALLY in KC. Let's put that to rest now. If DV isn't in the playoffs or the rest home by the end of next season, the Saunders era will be under way.

Secondly, I for one will not be hooping and hollering in delight if the Chiefs finish .500 or worse. Some of you guys are acting like that will be super. Keep in mind, the Chiefs have won at least 7 games per season 13 staright years, and only 2 of those were under 9. This is NOT a 3-year planning team and 8-8 will NOT cut it in the parity-created instant championship era now under way.

KCJ

Dave Lane
08-05-2001, 03:12 PM
KCJ,

You are wrong. I'd take a 1-15 (OK I wouldn't like it) and have the coaches we have now vs Gun or Marty. If I had seen Martyball one more time or Guntherball (what the h3ll that is) I'll blow chunks. They sucked plain and simple. Whatever the record (and really who cares this year unless we win the SB) is this year I'm happy and so will most of the other fans. I'm happy to actually have a head coach that may gameplan an opponent. I'd love to say 11-5 is likely but its unrealistic. It all depends on the squad picking up the new systems and how quickly they do so.

If history is any judge it takes DV 3 years to get the most out of his rebuilding job. I'm willing to wait and be happy as long as DV doesn't go senile and start acting like Gun and Co.

Dave

KCJohnny
08-05-2001, 03:28 PM
Dave:
You can take the way down in order to go up, but it is unnecessary IMO. Your definition of success

(They sucked plain and simple. Whatever the record (and really who cares this year unless we win the SB))

is what is unrealistic. The 3rd winningest team of the 90s is a success by any stretch of the imagination, unless you are the type of person who incorporates "sucks" into his vocabulary.

Marv Levy was just inducted to the PFHoF and by your definition he "sucks."

DV will be 67 in 2002. I doubt he'll either need, get, want or deserve a 3rd campaign in KC.

KCJ

Brock
08-05-2001, 04:51 PM
Levy was able to get to the Super Bowl, repeatedly. Marty probably never will, and Gunther? HA! I would gladly take 4 AFC Championships over being the perennial first round playoff loser the Chiefs were under Marty.

Marty is a probable HOF coach, but I doubt he considers himself anywhere near a complete success at his job.

Dave Lane
08-05-2001, 06:56 PM
Well said Brock. Marty's biggest enemy is Marty. As he said he has a bad German stubborn streak and let me tell you I know all about those. DV did one really classic thing. He came back after a decade off and did something. He tried doing what he used to do and realized the game had past him by. He CHANGED and realized he needed to adapt to the current environment. Marty has never been willing to do that. He is a very smart and very good coach but that is ALL he will ever be unless he modifys his approach to the game to see what is successful now. Maybe a few years off has given this wisdom to him but we will see. To me there is nothing wrong with sticking to a plan. The defination of insanity however is doing what you know isn't working and sticking to it and doing it over and over again.

If you are satisfied with a B or a 3.0 GPA Marty is your man. Solid, good fundmentals, smart coach who can get you to the postseason. Then when the big boys visit you get drilled. Even Marty proteges follow the same pattern (see Cowher and Dungy). As was said in the Matrix "You got to let it go. Fear, uncertainty and doubt. Free your mind!" thats exactly what Marty needs to do.

Dave

Luzap
08-05-2001, 08:28 PM
The most interesting thing to me about this article is what Whitlock said last.

To paraphrase: he won't be down on the coaching staff regardless of the record.

I don't believe that for a second!

Luz
we'll see how long this lasts...

keg in kc
08-05-2001, 08:36 PM
Whitlock's a sports gossip-columnist. He'll do whatever he thinks will sell the most papers and get the most publicity. I think calling out a 6-10 record is a good move in that light (i.e. see the response on this thread). I also believe he'll tear into the coaching staff (I see him going after Greg Robinson the first time the defense shows any sign of weakness) if he sees it as a way to spark some controversy.

I don't like him, honestly, and I think he borders on complete idiocy 9 times out of 10 (whitlock I mean) but I will give him credit for being good at his job. He's a columnist, after all, not a reporter....

(Although I do often wonder how someone with such poor writing skills can carry a job of this magnitude)

KS Smitty
08-05-2001, 08:41 PM
How about a new columnist: KEGlock
:D :cool: :) ;)

keg in kc
08-05-2001, 08:47 PM
Well, I have the fat part covered Smitty. ;)

Actually, I'm losing weight, so that doesn't even work anymore.

I'm not sure I'd want (or could do) that guy's job (or his ego, probably the only thing bigger than his appetite...).

KS Smitty
08-05-2001, 08:52 PM
Actually KEG, I was looking for (ALOT) more intelligence.Size doesn't matter. The Smitty's come from German stock and although I'm an exception we do have some large people in the family.

keg in kc
08-05-2001, 08:54 PM
I'm from German stock as well. I'm fighting that largeness on a daily basis. I guess it's my genetic predisposition to love beer. :)

KS Smitty
08-05-2001, 08:57 PM
Believe me I love beer too, but not the German stuff, just plain old Bud Light, (which came from Germans I believe). And I eat as much as the rest of em but I must have the metabolism of a hummingbird cuz it doesn't show.

keg in kc
08-05-2001, 09:00 PM
I like the German brews, but my real favorites are Belgian beers (I'd kill for a bottle of Corsendonc right now) because they have great flavor and some of the beers have twice as much alcohol as their north American counterparts. ;)

Bud and Bud Light are generally my beer of choice at ballgames and on those rare occasions where I'm going to drink more than 3 or 4 beers.