PDA

View Full Version : AFC West

Tribal Warfare
08-05-2001, 01:44 PM
The biggest threats to KC will be Seattle and Oakland.

Seattle has one of the "geeks" of football in Mike Holmgrem. He has built this team on precision, and if Hasselback doesn't workout he can use their devastaing running game which includes Shaun Alexander and his elder Ricky Watters. The WR's are young , but very talented. Lead by Koren Robinson

Oakland has a good coaching staff, but it's still the Raiders already their showing signs of self destruction. Nomatter what anybody says their WR corps are very fine group. Rice is older but it's still Jerry Rice, Brown will feed of this, and so will Rambo. Their Defense is very solid on the line and in the backfield, but their DEs are undersized and somtimes over-pursue.

All in all Oakland has the upperhand. The Broncos and Chargers are fodder this year.

ck_IN
08-05-2001, 02:18 PM
The Broncos and Chargers are fodder

Denver, fodder? Huh? Barring major injuries, I'm thinking Denver will take the West. It's a sure thing we won't stop them. Davis/Gary/Anderson will likely run at will through our middle just like they did last year.

I'm thinking we'll get swept by Denver and Oakland. If the Oakland at KC game wasn't so early we might gain a split, but I doubt we'll be ready. We'll split with Seattle and SD. With the West stacking up as Denver, Oakland, Seattle, SD, and KC.

Untill we learn to stop the middle run, it is we who will be fodder.

tommykat
08-05-2001, 02:25 PM
Just thinking...( I know scary huh)? it's early yet to say that the Raiders or Denver would/will bet us.

Let's think positive! CHIEFS ARE GOING TO RULE AT ARROWHEAD againist the Faders...:) :D ;) :p :cool:

hawaiianboy
08-05-2001, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ck_IN

If the Oakland at KC game wasn't so early we might gain a split, but I doubt we'll be ready.

In my mind Chuck... this works in your favor... I am not looking forward to going to Arrowhead for game 1... Unless, you get totally smoked in preseason or lose a key player to injury... the enthusiasm of having a new start with a new QB and coaching staff goes a long way to offset the implementation of new systems/players.....

All smaque aside... KC is the last place I want to open up the season..... The crowd will be loud and its an early game so it should be hot as well...

I think on paper, Denver has to be favored in the West.... that said, I really don't care for some of their aquisitions, though signing Eric Davis will help....

For KC I think your offense will be fine but like you I think the lack of talent at DT and ILB kills you in this division... (I really like Bartee as a CB though).... Robinson IMO, was an excellent hire....

I'm real happy with the moves my Raiders have made this offseason... I think we have some young guys that will step up big this season (Porter, Ioane and Gibson especially)..

Seattle just plain scares me... I hope Holmgen tries to finese teams because I think they have some talent to play power ball....

11 wins takes the prize this season IMO...

alanm
08-05-2001, 04:02 PM
I don't think any team is fodder in the West this year. Clearly Oakland and Denver has to be favored with KC and Seattle fighting for 3rd. Emotion, Chemistry and luck will favor the first team to 11 wins. Who that will be we just have to wait and see. Course skill factors in as usual :D Kansas City could win it just as well as any team in this division. YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!!

KCJohnny
08-05-2001, 04:15 PM
Denver has the 30th toughest schedule in the NFL.

Think about it.

The Donx should win the division, although between The Chiefs (4-0 vs Denver since '99) and Greg Robinson's voodoo on Gruden (hiya, Chucky!) I would not be surprised by a KC sweep.

Holmy is WAY overrated. How else do you Gun haters out there explain Gun's sweep of the walrus last year? And Seattle has the same problem that they have had: QB.

Oakland will suffer from age and injury, especially a 35 yr old scrambling QB.

The Bolts will profit mightily from the draft, Norv, and Flutie and especially parity.

The Chiefs have another brutal schedule (so what else is new?) and should break .500.

My homer picks:

KC 11-5

SD 9-7

Denver 9-7

Oak 7-9

Seattle 5-11

KCJ;)

ck_IN
08-05-2001, 04:18 PM
HB, I thought about that factor and came to the conclusion: enthusiasm only goes so far. I don't think the offense nor the defense will have the new schemes down for the opening game. Meanwhile Oakland is returning basicly an intact team. Our enthusiasm might carry the first half, but I think you guys put the petal to the metal in the 2nd half.

Wanna trade Wheatly for Minnis? :p

Tribal Warfare
08-05-2001, 07:35 PM
The Bronco's are injury infested, and supposedly their O-line isn't too hot either. The Terrell Davis situation hurts them big time. The Chargers will be Run of the mill seller-dwellers with a running game.

ck_IN
08-05-2001, 09:09 PM
Besides, we already have a WR that falls when you hit him with a wet paper towel in James Jett.

Yeah but at least Jett has <b>speed</b>. Little ole Snoop doesn't even have that.

And I'm not concerned with Snoop going down easy. I'm concerned about him simply snapping in half. ;) Saw a pic of the guy the other day and I swear his legs looked as thick as my arms.

supposedly their O-line isn't too hot

Would this be the same Oline that has had 1000yrd rushers for 3 or 4 consecutive years?

morphius
08-05-2001, 09:20 PM
There is not a cake squad in the AFC West this year and I am not looking forward to a single game, because no team in this division has a huge step on any other team, and heck the teams, other then maybe the Chargers, all have great coaching staffs.

I have to say that you might be watching some of the best football when these teams play each other this season, so from that standpoint it should be great to watch.

Morphius
Of course watching your team lose is never fun no matter how good the game was.

keg in kc
08-05-2001, 09:40 PM
ck, as I recall Denver lost a key player of two off their o-line this year which they're trying to replace, and I've heard some concerns voiced about it. Maybe one of the Bronco regulars on the board could provide a little more info.

Raiderhader
08-05-2001, 09:56 PM
I can't believe it, I am going to agree with a faiduh. JQ has every reason in the world to fear opening in KC. That game is going to be awesome.

A couple factors that are being overlooked about this game, 1) it is one of the best rivalries in the NFL (and I personally think in the world of sports), you should never leave out the rivalry factor. The suckiest teams in the world have been known to slaughter their giant rivals. 2) It is the AFC West were, just like the rivalry situation, anything can and probably will happen.

A while back there was a thread of predictions that was created for Packfan, in it I predicted that the Chiefs would continue their domination of the donkeys with another sweep, and that we would sweep chokeland as well, I still am standing by those predictions.

Hader,
also predicted the Royals would finish above .500......

TEX
08-05-2001, 10:35 PM
Here's the way I see things:

1. Donx - ( 11-5) just too deep everywhere especially at RB and QB. Rhodes will get the defense together.

2. Hawks - ( 10-6) one heck of a draft and Holmie has his QB. If the defensive moves pan out, they'll be in the playoffs.

3. Bolts - (8-8) Don't laugh, they might have an offense.

4. Raidas - ( 8-8) Old in key places, they'll sink if Gannon goes down.

5. Chiefs - ( 6-10) Most ?? in the division, not much depth at key positions especially QB and WR! However can and will give the West leaders all they can handle.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-05-2001, 11:56 PM
JMO, but I think you guys are making predictions kind of early. I mean, by all means, do whatever. But I think the predictions for the season should be made a week before week one.

Not telling anyone what to do, but chances are, you will probably change your predictions anyway due to, surprising teams, injuries, etc.

CG

thinks that making predictions now is pointless, due to many things that could happen before the season starts (5 weeks, BTW)

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 12:01 AM
Cody Goldizen, voice of reason.

*kyle's now leafing through his bible to see if that's one of the signs of the apocolypse*

Chiefs Pantalones
08-06-2001, 12:03 AM
Kyle,

:confused:

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 12:04 AM
Humor, Cody. A joke at your expense...

Even I'm not serious all the time.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-06-2001, 12:09 AM
Kyle:)

I didn't mean to come off the way I did when I wrote about predictions. Now that I read it, it looks like I'm adding a commandment. :eek: :o

What I meant was, do whatever you want, but I'm not doing it. Or something of that extent.

Oh you know what I mean.

CG

:)

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 12:11 AM
Hah, no Cody, that wasn't what my joke was about...

I was saying you were the voice of reason (remember my view on early prediction) in your last post instead of the crazy kid you usually are, and I was joking that that's a sign of the end of the world. :p

Saggysack
08-06-2001, 12:24 AM
My prediction is that the entire AFC West goes 8-8 through the regular season and 4-4 in the division.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-06-2001, 12:29 AM
Kyle,

Yes, you were the one that made me realize that predictions are too early this time of year, thanks BTW.

I know thats not a sign of the end of the world...

When Proctor realizes that stats don't mean crap...now thats a sign of the end of the world:D ;)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-06-2001, 02:02 AM
I hope I'm not speaking to soon HB, but I think you guys have your QBOTF with Tui. He looked pretty good, Saturday.

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 02:02 AM
Not to mention Charlie Garner's first game as a Raider, or the beginning of the "Vermeil era" in KC and the first game for Trent Green.

Not the marquis drawing of Jerry Rice, but there's plenty of story lines (not to mention the first time Rich Gannon might not be cheered as a returning hero in Arrowhead...).

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 02:04 AM
You're speaking too soon Cody.

JQ knows these two words as well as I do when you're talking about a rookie QB kicking @ss in preseason...

"Ryan" and "Leaf"

(Mike Vick fans need to remember those two words too)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-06-2001, 02:07 AM
Kyle,

I hope your right on the fans not cheering Gannon.

I hope the fans have finally decided that they should waste their cheers for their team and its players than on an ex-player. I hope the fans decide they don't care, for the good, who in the hell the QB is for KC just as long as we win.

CG

hopes the fans still don't have a hard-on for an ex-player

Chiefs Pantalones
08-06-2001, 02:11 AM
Kyle,

Don't get me wrong, I know this is one game, and it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but I think the kids gonna be good. I liked him in college, as well.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-06-2001, 02:14 AM
HB,

"Hiring Gruden really saved our butts."

I agree. He's a good coach.

Saggysack
08-06-2001, 02:19 AM
No doubt Gruden is an excellent coach. I just wonder if the antics of Al Davis will eventually lead Gruden into the arms of the college ranks or another professional team.

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 02:21 AM
I'm not saying he won't Cody, it's just always wise to be realistic when you're talking about a rookie in his first performance, especially in the preseason (and especially against Dallas).

JQ, I'll say this much - I don't think he could have found a better situation in the leauge. The job is his in two years because Gannon will retire and Hoying's no threat. He won't be one of the multitudes of QBs in the last decade who were stuck on the bench behind someone and didn't get a shot until FA took them elsewhere.

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 02:42 AM
Don't get me wrong, JQ, I like Tui too, I'm just not ready to call him the unholy love child of Kenny Stabler and Jim Plunkett based solely on his peformance in one preseason game against the bottom-feeding Cowboys. ;)

Hydrae
08-06-2001, 05:54 AM
"I think they'd run Al out of Oakland if he screws this one up...."

So if Al gets stupid and lets Gruden get away, Oaklanders will run out Davis? WOOHOO What a deal that would be! Don't give that idea to the league, they will do everything they can to make it happen! LOL[

Mile High Mania
08-06-2001, 07:46 AM
Well, I think Denver will be at the bottom of the AFC West this year. If you're reading the rankings upside down.

The division will be brutal this year, lots of tough defenses. Oakland and Denver will have great offenses, while Seattle and KC *could* have some offensive firepower.

I think the sweeps will end between Denver/Oakland/KC... I think those teams will all split with each other this year. That said, I agree somewhat with JQ that 10-11 wins will take the AFC West Title.

Assuming that major issues are avoided, I believe the Denver/Oakland game in the final week will declare the winner of the division.

I think it could go Oakland, Denver*, Seattle, KC, San Diego.
Chargers could be in last place with 8 wins. I think Oakland could get 11 with Denver receiving 10.

Right now, I'm giving the division to Oakland... simply b/c I want the Raiduh fans to be a li'l over-confident. :-)

As for the question earlier about Denver's OL... they've produced 1,000 yd runners for about 5 or 6 years now. And, they lost Schlereth and Tony Jones. Also, Gibbs is going to be a *part time* consultant. I wish they would have signed a FA lineman, but they didn't. So, there could be issues with the OL. I still think Denver will have a 1,200 yd rusher at the very least and rush as a team for about 2,100 yds though.

htismaqe
08-06-2001, 09:51 AM
Don't discount the rivalry factor, as mentioned by Hader...case in point, Dallas vs. Washington...

Ugly Duck
08-06-2001, 10:40 AM
The AFC West is a season within the season, a mini-league. We should have an award for the team that has the best record in the division. In '99 it was San Diego - cuz rivalry plays a huge role in the A-West. The team that is granted the division crown is often not the team that has the best W-L record in division games. SD durn near beat the eventual division champ both games last year. I wouldn't be surprised if KC ends up in the cellar this year and still manages to sweep Denver. The way it goes in the A-West, it ain't too far-fetched to imagine every team with a 4-4 division record with splits all around.

There's the SuperBowl, and there's the A-West bowl. These teams play one another so hard, even a team with a lousy league record can win the A-West Bowl. Let the bleeding begin....

morphius
08-06-2001, 10:46 AM
UD - The AFC West Cup, I love it. Could be a bonus bragging rights thing at the end of the year, even when your team doesn't do well. I could see Lamar Hunt getting into something like this, I don't know about the other owners.

Morphius
Too bad Hunt already has a trophy named after him.

Joe Seahawk
10-21-2001, 05:44 PM
Interesting reading...:)