PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

Mile High Mania
08-06-2001, 07:34 AM
Just looking for honest (non-smack) responses, if possible.

I've read a lot regarding Terrell Davis, as I'm sure you have, and it appears that the injury he received 2 years ago is never going away. Many players have successfully returned from such an injury, but for whatever reasons it does not appear that a healthy return is in the cards for TD.

Realizing this, I think it's probably time for him to retire if he cannot make it through training camp. I love watching the guy play and I was and am still anticipating a great return, simply b/c he is one of those players that is good for the game as a whole.

However, it tears me up to continually read about his struggles. I know there are many cap scenarios that may prevent him from retiring, and if the media is reading too much into the recent setbacks then I encourage him to continue his road to a comeback.

Shanahan is a smart guy and if he sees that TD cannot be the starter, then I trust he will give Anderson and Gary (in that order) the starting nod with a few weeks left in camp.

It's tough watching him struggle, but it's encouraging to see him give it 100%! I'm glad Shanahan didn't trade Anderson or Gary before the draft.

kcred
08-06-2001, 07:45 AM
MHM - You are right about TD being good for the game, and I enjoy watching him 14 times a year. It may be a little early though to write him off. TC is not necessarily that important to someone like him, and this may all just be precautionary. I would think, he will not play any at all, until maybe the third PS game, then only limited duty. It would be a shame to see a young, quality RB leave at this point in his career, but if he ends up on the sidelines this year, you may be right.

KCJohnny
08-06-2001, 07:45 AM
Of course we are all rooting for the Denver RB we are most likely able to stop, which is Davis (historically). It is sad to see a great player so hampered by injury, but that is the nature of sport. I'd like to see TD retire with dignity.

Andersen proved he is a top tier RB last year and he still has plenty left in the tank and no surgeries. In this game of football, it only takes one play to end a career...

KCJ
Wishing good health to the donx

Mile High Mania
08-06-2001, 07:49 AM
I should have posted this link...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,86%257E91070,00.html

I know that preseason has to be reviewed with a grain of salt, but articles like the one above are what makes me believe he may never return.

KCJ ... nice post, but don't bank on another sweep.

Warrior5
08-06-2001, 08:06 AM
As much as I <B>loathe</B> your team, I must admit feeling sorry for Davis and <I>respectable</I> Donkey fans. He has been a class act; a presence on and off the field. He is an outstanding role model for younger players to emulate.
Hope he's not gone for good.

How come stuff like this doesn't happen to Romo?

KCJohnny
08-06-2001, 08:09 AM
I am not banking on a sweep, but I was ALL ALONE EVEN AMONG CHIEFS FANS the past two years in predicting a sweep of the Donx.

(taking a bow)

This year I see a split, each team winning at home, maybe an OT.

KCJ
Milking his lone successful prediction for all its worth

Warrior5
08-06-2001, 08:19 AM
Kudos to you on your prognosticating skills; however, I do believe that one other hard-core Chiefs fan predicted a sweep both years...Tim Nunya (formerly Chief Psychosis on TOBB).

I agree the Chiefs are the <B>BIG</B> variable of the AFC West. Pre-season performance is growing in importance daily, not only for us, but for the other AFC West teams. Gruden & Co. will be spending late nights trying to figure out what none of us know.

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 08:32 AM
Wrong, John, I predicted a sweep of the Donkeys last year. You don't have a monopoly on homerism (although you do have one on Gun-erism). I thought we were a playoff team going into last season. And we should have been.

Anyway.

I believe we have just as much chance of sweeping the Donkeys this year as we did last year for 3 reasons:

1) Our offense will be better. We're better coached, have improved at RB, and will be at full speed by week 5.

2) Our defense will be better. We're, again, better coached. Beyond that, DT is no more a question to me than it was last year at this time, and as I've said repeatedly I believe losing Chet is addition by subtraction. We've added depth at DE, already our strongest position. I like our linebackers and love our safeties. I think we'll be fine at corner, as both Warfield and Bartee are playing well (both will be needed, as well as Crockett).

3) Denver's defense will not be very much better. I like Ray Rhodes, but they added absolutely nothing to that defense in the offseason in terms of talent (yet again). Sure they brought in a lot of free agents, but which one of them will make a difference? Walker? Washington? Lett? Davis? Chet might show up for our games. Maybe. All-in-all, they didn't really do much, IMHO. They needed Aeneas Williams. Maybe they'll get Deion (I hope so - he's done). In any event, I think we will score on them, and score a lot.

If we could sweep them with inept coaching I see no reason why we can't sweep them without it.

I think we have a chance at a cinderella season, but I'll need to see some preseason games to feel secure in predicting that.

Mi_chief_fan
08-06-2001, 08:37 AM
It looks to me like TD has just been ran into the ground. For a 210 lb back to take the shots he had to absorb, it had to take alot out of him over his first 5 years. He may still be a productive backup, but i'm convinced his Superbowl MVP-type days are over.

HC_Chief
08-06-2001, 08:45 AM
He had lingering problems all through college - that's the reason he fell so far in the draft.

Denver is fortunate that TD was able to string together that many injury-free seasons. He made the most of his time in the NFL - he'll be known as one of the greatest backs of this era.(ANYONE who rushes for 2000+ and leads his team to consecutive SB victories is a shoe-in for the HOF)

Should he retire? It depends - does he think he can make a recovery? Can he contribute on the field? Or is he merely eating cap space while sitting on IR?

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 08:47 AM
Oh, to answer your original question MHM, TD's missed 20 games in the last two years, and he just can't seem to go more than a couple of weeks without some type of nagging injury. I think it's time to delegate him to the bench, because he just doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a #1 back anymore. Kind of sad, because he was a good back, and I always liked him.

It's the Campbell's Soup curse...

First Davis, then Warner. I hope Donovan McNabb knows what he's gotten himself into.

alanm
08-06-2001, 09:23 AM
Keg, "If we could sweep them with inept coaching. I see no reason we can't sweep them without it" LMAO That was cold :D

Ugly Duck
08-06-2001, 09:49 AM
I'm not so sure TD is Mr. All That. He may just be Mr. Bronco Run Game. Sure, TD gave Amazing Incredible performances. But plug Anderson into the same run scheme and you get Amazing Incredible performances. When its Gary's turn, same Incredulous Amazement. I don't like to see any player end his career via injury, even a Bronco run-clone.

PS....I'm so sick of losing to the Broncos....its over this year, me bucko. We got the Big Red Monkey off of our back, now its time to finally kill the Rat.

Warrior5
08-06-2001, 10:09 AM
You got me thinking with your last line...who does a Chief fan root for when the Donks play the Raiders?
<B>THE</B> rivalry runs deep for most Chief fans, and for 34 years I've been in that boat. However (as my sig line illustrates), I've come to respect the Raiders since Gruden took charge, while the Donkeys have risen to the top of my loathe list in recent years.

Chief fans: who do you root for.

Luzap
08-06-2001, 10:13 AM
Hey Ugly!, :D

I hope you've spent your breif vacation working out, and I hope your back's in good shape, because that Big Red Monkey's comming back ~ and he's bigger and meaner than ever!

Luz
i really hate to see good people go through so much pain (i really do) ~ are you sure you won't switch to chiefs fandom???...

Ugly Duck
08-06-2001, 11:11 AM
The Duck's extroverted response to Luz:

Bite me, Chief's fan! We've whupped you guyz 3 times in row, and we'll whup you again! Haven't you been reading up on how powerful Oakland is, and how expectations are for KC to be the gutter dweller this year?

The Duck's introverted introspection:

Uh-oh, Arrowhead is a nasty place to start the season. 'Specially when the dang media has been playing up Oakland and crapping on the Chiefs. Too often, I've seen my team believe the game has already been won when the pundits predict a Raider victory. Every televised game in the country will have snippets showing Rice in Silver and Black. The way things are shaping up, it could be major embarrassing to lose to KC on Day One. We win, its totally expected. We lose, the dang Monkey is back.....

Bob Dole
08-06-2001, 11:14 AM
Bob Dole suggests that Duck start honing his monkey noise skills...

Mark M
08-06-2001, 11:36 AM
MHM--
Whether or not to retire has got to be one of the toughest choices a player makes (unless you're a quitter like Barry Sanders ... but I digress).

If I were TD, I'd wait this year and see about getting traded next year. Don't know what the cap hit would be or if teh Donks would get a lot for him, but I don't think he'll ever have another shot with Denver ... they are too deep at the position.

UglyDuck--
I guess you can continue not to shower ... the monkey will be able to do the grooming for you! ;)

MM
~~Will take any shot at a Faiduhs fan that he can get.

Mi_chief_fan
08-06-2001, 12:01 PM
About Barry, I think he earned the right(and of course, plenty of $$$$$) to quit. He carried the Loins on his back for a good many years. I don't blame him. The only thing I fault him for was the timing, waiting almost until training camp.

morphius
08-06-2001, 12:52 PM
Some more news on TD, or maybe not...

According to ESPN.com, a weekend MRI taken on Terrell Davis' surgically-repaired right knee revealed a degenerative arthritic condition. The MRI was viewed as a precautionary measure after Davis re-injured the knee on Saturday. "He had some chronic changes, arthritic changes, which most guys have with that type of injury," team trainer Steve Antonopulos told The Denver Post. "But it shows nothing acute. There are no ligament problems or anything at all. He has got some degenerative changes, he has got a little swelling, he got it tweaked a little bit. I mean, what can you say? You can't make a mountain of a mole hill." Davis will miss practice on Monday and is considered day-to-day.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/fanball/20010806/fanball-broncosstillmorebadn.htm)