PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who wants DA to be the number 1 wide reciever?

kcfan
08-06-2001, 02:50 PM
I realize that Gonzo is the man but next to him DA is our best threat. He's produced countless scores for us and giv'in us a legitamate deep threat. Maybe they don't like him in practice but he's DAMN SURE produced on the field. How many nice leeping catches did DA make last season? I can remember 6, not to mention the 80 yard TD's. He even took a pay cut in the off season.

KCFAN is a sentimental DA supporter and not willing to pull the plug until game day performance says so.

Phobia
08-06-2001, 02:53 PM
I'm a fan of putting the most consistent playmaker as the #1 receiver. I don't care if that's DA, Vanover, Rison, or any number of clowns.

I just want our best chances of winning on the field for every offensive snap.

Warrior5
08-06-2001, 02:55 PM
No...but I think the message is loud and clear: quit shagging it at practice, or you'll be #2.

Sure DA delivers at gametime, but if DV "rewards" sub-par performance at practice, he'll have bigger problems than DA once gametime rolls around.

...firm believer in enforcing standards and training as you would fight...

Logical
08-06-2001, 02:57 PM
Kcfan,

I am not sure why you think we do not want DA to be the number 1 WR. Long term I would love to have someone a little more like a Jerry Rice but that guy is not on the club. I think you may be misinterpreting a lot of us talking about the DV's lack of enthusiasm for DA so far in camp as negativism towards DA. Speaking only for myself that is not a case of me want DA to lose the number 1 spot.

JMO

ExtremeChief
08-06-2001, 03:14 PM
Frankly it doesn't matter to me who the #1 receiver is, whoever runs the best routes, catches the most balls, and stays healthy deserves the spot. I do believe it is DA's to lose, if he doesn't want to practice hard and set a good example for the other WR's ( especially since we have so many new ones) than someone can become #1 as far as I'm concerned. Also, for the 6 or more leaping catches he made, there were also 6 or more drops. Early in the season DA didn't look very impressive. Whether or not that is due to his work ethic in practice is up in the air.

DA did end up having a great season last year, hopefully this year will be no different. But DV doesn't seem to be the type who will put up with lack of effort in practice... something will have to give. Plus, DV has a rapport with Chris Thomas, so making Thomas #1 probably wouldn't be much of a stretch.

BIG_DADDY
08-06-2001, 03:20 PM
Warrior,

Great post, I completely agree.

htismaqe
08-06-2001, 03:22 PM
I agree 100% with Warrior5...if you make exceptions for one person, everyone wants them...

tommykat
08-06-2001, 03:42 PM
I want DA....but he does need to work out more and show the rookies what it's all about. Not to mention DV. If he wants to be a good WR then look at what Tony G. has done...practice practice practice some more, plus hired a personal trainer. All depends on what you want for your career.:eek:

stevieray
08-06-2001, 03:43 PM
Vermiel stated at Camp today that Chris Thomas is the #1 receiver. At least for now. Read it on the River Falls Site.

HC_Chief
08-06-2001, 03:48 PM
It doesn't really matter who the '#1' receiver is! You have two WRs on the field at any given time: the flanker(FL) and the split end(SE). FL is split left, SE to the right. Slot(#3 WR) can be either...

DA has been the FL for us - but if DV thinks Thomas makes a better FL and DA makes a better SE (more importantly, Saunders & Joiner agree), then I am ALL for it! :)

Either way, DA sees a lot of action this year - regardless of his practice. BTW - he's missed practice due to injury, NOT due to 'being lazy' as some people insinuate.

htismaqe
08-06-2001, 03:53 PM
HC,

Yes, DA has missed THIS year's practice due to injury. The problem is that he wouldn't be accused of being lazy if he hadn't shown a propensity for being lazy in the past.

I personally think everything will work out for the best, but I hate to see guys "take it easy" especially when everyone else is busting their ***. Apparently, DV feels the same.

Oxford
08-06-2001, 04:05 PM
There is another message here, and it's been said before. If you don't want to work or be coached you won't be here. DA holds his future with the club in his own hands (for now). When contract time comes, DV and CP hold DA's future in their hands. If you are TG, running a "timing oriented" passing attack -- are you going to throw it to a guy that is free lancing? Guess again....

BIG_DADDY
08-06-2001, 04:24 PM
I would like to see all of our receivers do well. We certainly need a BIG year out of DA though.

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 04:46 PM
I agree with most of what's been said already.

You don't just "plug" anyone into a spot, the job goes to the best player. Period. If Thomas is outplaying DA, then more power to him. The NFL is a game centered around the mantra "what have you done for me lately" and if DA is not going to put out the effort, then I think rewarding him with the #1 WR job is the last thing DV should do. That's not a precedent you want to set for the younger receivers. Furthermore, if DA isn't running the routes and doesn't have a good rapport with Green, than he'll be a hinderance on the field, at least until he puts forth the effort to catch up. This offense is centered around timing, and Green has thrown a total of 15 passes to DA all summer long. Not good at all.

DA has 4 weeks of camp left to bring himself up to speed, and I hope he'll do it, because I think he is an integral part of the offense. If he catches up and becomes comfortable with Green, than I believe he's the best WR we have, and he'll be back at #1.

Luzap
08-06-2001, 04:52 PM
In this offense, do the Split End and Flanker positions have different routes assigned?

In other words, if DA needs to switch, does he have to learn new plays? Formations? Motions? Routes?

Luz
inquiring minds want to know...

keg in kc
08-06-2001, 04:59 PM
Luzap, I can't provide an answer to that other than I remember during the summer that they had SlyMo learning both Flanker and SE before he went down with his knee injury. I'd assume there are differences.

What I'm wondering is if DA knows the routes for either position, much less both, based on what DV has been saying all summer and during camp. Also, IMHO, he's never been the greatest/crispest/most disciplined route-runner, and I'd tend to agree with most of the folks who credit his yardage to being given time to work to get open in play action situations.

That doesn't mean he won't fit in nicely with this offense, but he's going to have to work on his breaks and routes...

Tribal Warfare
08-06-2001, 05:00 PM
Yes , the Raye offense compared to the Saunders offense are distinctly different. The Saunder's offense would be compared to learning a different language.

HC_Chief
08-07-2001, 08:11 AM
In this offense, do the Split End and Flanker positions have different routes assigned?

Yes. The FL makes most cuts to the right... his inside shoulder. The SE goes to the left.

The routes typically don't differ much outside of that. :)