PDA

View Full Version : 2 years -- 570 Bills, 15 Laws, 50 Amendments, 16 Adopted

jAZ
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/2/21/164117/783/290/461422

I found the BEEF - Obama's Senate Record
by Helenann
Thu Feb 21, 2008 at 02:19:52 PM PST

It has really been bothering me - the charges that Obama is all talk and no action. Those of us who support him and have reviewed his record know there is no basis to this charge, but just to make sure, I went to the Congressional Record (www.thomas.gov) and did a search for bills sponsored or co-sponsored by Senator Obama in his three short years in the US Senate. I searched the 109th and 110th Congresses which cover the years 2005-2007.

In a nut shell I found:

Senator Obama has sponsored or co-sponsored 570 bills in the 109th and 110th Congress.

Senator Obama has sponsored or co-sponsored 15 bills that have become LAW since he joined the Senate in 2005.

Senator Obama has also introduced amendments to 50 bills, of which 16 were adopted by the Senate.

His record is in fact quite impressive for a junior Senator from Illinois.

Below I summarize Senator Obama's legislative record in the US Senate.

First I list the bills he sponsored that have become law.

Next I summarize the bills that he has sponsored or cosponsored since he became a US Senator in 2005.

I have only included major pieces of legislation and have not summarized continuing resolutions or naming post offices, for example.

His record suggests several priorities and the bills he supports address many of our most pressing problems.

Most of his legislative effort has been in the area of Energy Efficiency and Climate Change (25 bills), health care (21 bills) and public health (20 bills), consumer protection/labor (14 bills), the needs of Veterans and the Armed Forces (13 bills), Congressional Ethics and Accountability (12 bills), Foreign Policy (10 bills) Voting and Elections (9 bills), Education (7 bills), Hurricane Katrina Relief (6), the Environment (5 bills), Homeland Security (4 bills), and discrimination (4 bills).

Of the 15 bills Senator Obama sponsored or co-sponsored in 2005-7 that became law:

Two addressed foreign policy:
Promote relief, security and democracy in the Congo (2125)
Develop democratic institutions in areas under Palestinian control (2370).

Three addressed public health:
Improve mine safety (2803)
Increased breast cancer funding (597)
Reduce preterm delivery and complications, reduce infant mortality (707).

Two addressed openness and accountability in government:
Strengthening the Freedom of Information Act (2488)
Full disclosure of all entities receiving federal funds (2590)

Two addressed national security
Extend Terrorist Risk Insurance (467)
Amend the Patriot Act (2167)

One addressed the needs of the Armed Forces
Wave passport fees to visit graves, attend memorials/funerals of veterans abroad (1184).

Of the 570 bills Senator Obama introduced into the Senate during the 109th and 110th Congress (Senate Bill numbers are in parentheses), they can be summarized as follows: (See link for full detail)

25 addressed Energy Efficiency and Climate Change
21 addressed Health Care
20 addressed Public Health:
14 address Consumer Protection/Labor
13 addressed the Needs of Veterans and the Armed Forces:
12 addressed Congressional Ethics and Accountability
10 addressed Foreign Policy:
9 address Voting/Elections
11 addressed Education
6 addressed Hurrican Katrina
5 addressed the Environment
4 addressed Discrimination
4 addressed Homeland Security

pikesome
02-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Number of bills != Good thing.

You'd have hoped they could fix the problem with a few less tries.

jAZ
02-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Number of bills != Good thing.

You'd have hoped they could fix the problem with a few less tries.

That's obviously not the point.

heapshake
02-22-2008, 07:16 PM
I didn't look at all his bills, but the few that he co-sponsored and the 1 that he sponsored that became law all were "passed in the Senate by Unanimous Consent." I have no idea how many bills are unanimously passed in the senate, but its hard for me to believe that they are substantial pieces of legislation. The one he sponsored (Congo relief) didn't even get a roll call vote in the house.

Iowanian
02-22-2008, 07:21 PM
It looks like he's used a double barrel shotgun and an uzi in drive-bys to make taxes higher.

Climate legislation doesn't do much but make things more expensive.

pikesome
02-22-2008, 09:44 PM
That's obviously not the point.

What is the point then? The article just gives quantities, doesn't mention, with any detail, what any of the laws were supposed to have done and what they really did. And the idea that all these laws in the space of two years is a good thing without any other info is disturbing. Bad laws are quite often worse than no laws.

Ultra Peanut
02-22-2008, 11:48 PM
When people have shown particular pieces of legislation before, the answer has been: "SO?!?! HE'S JUST A STARRY-EYED IDEALIST WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING!"

When the total is taken into account, showing just how much work he's been doing, the answer has been: "SO?!?! HE'S JUST A STARRY-EYED IDEALIST WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING!"

It certainly couldn't be that you people have swallowed the talking points and refuse to acknowledge reality, could it?

pikesome
02-23-2008, 01:14 AM
When people have shown particular pieces of legislation before, the answer has been: "SO?!?! HE'S JUST A STARRY-EYED IDEALIST WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING!"

When the total is taken into account, showing just how much work he's been doing, the answer has been: "SO?!?! HE'S JUST A STARRY-EYED IDEALIST WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING!"

It certainly couldn't be that you people have swallowed the talking points and refuse to acknowledge reality, could it?

Data (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400629)

Sigh...

Statistics: Barack Obama has sponsored 129 bills since Jan 4, 2005, of which 120 haven't made it out of committee (Poor) and 1 were successfully enacted (Average, relative to peers). Obama has co-sponsored 545 bills during the same time period (Average, relative to peers).

pikesome
02-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Promote relief, security and democracy in the Congo (2125) sponsored with 12 co-sponsors
Develop democratic institutions in areas under Palestinian control (2370). 1 of 90 co-sponsors (meaning that 91% of the Senate got in on this)
Improve mine safety (2803) 1 of 11 co-sponsors
Increased breast cancer funding (597) 1 of 62 co-sponsors
Reduce preterm delivery and complications, reduce infant mortality (707). 1 of 42 co-sponsors
Strengthening the Freedom of Information Act (2488) 1 of 17 co-sponsors
Full disclosure of all entities receiving federal funds (2590) 1 of 47 co-sponsors
Extend Terrorist Risk Insurance (467) 1 of 33 co-sponsors
Amend the Patriot Act (2167) 1 of 31 co-sponsors
Wave passport fees to visit graves, attend memorials/funerals of veterans abroad (1184). 1 of 2 co-sponsors

Sponsored or co-sponsored by Hillary also:

2125, 2167, 2370, 597, 707, 2590, 467, 2167 (8 of the 10 listed here)

Bill S Preston
02-23-2008, 04:04 AM
I don't get all of this crap. He isn't some clueless baby like some claim him to be, nor is he some innocent lamb, clean of the dirty bile that is Washington D.C., like others claim. He is a politician, just like everybody else who ran in the primary

Ultra Peanut
02-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Holy data-twisting, Batman!

Obama, having spent 2/3 of his time in a Republican congress, is the most active Congressman of the 2005 class (http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/110/repstats/introduced.xml) (and note, this is only the stuff bearing his name at the top, which means stuff like his work with Lugar and with Coburn that you're trying to pretend he didn't play a big role in aren't included). But hey, an incredibly simplistic, automatically generated analysis will surely show that his record can't compare to McCain's, right?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=300071
John McCain has sponsored 403 bills since Jan 21, 1997, of which 263 haven't made it out of committee (Extremely Poor) and 12 were successfully enacted (Very Good, relative to peers). McCain has co-sponsored 873 bills during the same time period (Average, relative to peers).

So you're saying that McCain's managed to squeeze 11 more bills bearing his name out than Obama with a Republican-slanted congress and an 8-year head start? Huh.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=300022
Hillary Clinton has sponsored 354 bills since Jan 22, 2001, of which 307 haven't made it out of committee (Extremely Poor) and 2 were successfully enacted (Average, relative to peers). Clinton has co-sponsored 1723 bills during the same time period (Average, relative to peers).

HonestChieffan
02-23-2008, 07:22 AM
More funding to the Congo was at the top of my list.

pikesome
02-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Holy data-twisting, Batman!

I twisted nothing. I didn't even comment on it in the post. It is what it is, you can draw your own conclusions.

Obama, having spent 2/3 of his time in a Republican congress, is the most active Congressman of the 2005 class (http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/110/repstats/introduced.xml) (and note, this is only the stuff bearing his name at the top, which means stuff like his work with Lugar and with Coburn that you're trying to pretend he didn't play a big role in aren't included). But hey, an incredibly simplistic, automatically generated analysis will surely show that his record can't compare to McCain's, right?

Who's comparing him to McCain? That wasn't mentioned in Jaz's post or either one of my follow ups. I compared him, kinda, to Hillary by pointing out that she co-sponsored almost all of the bills he did. I think your confused.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=300071
John McCain has sponsored 403 bills since Jan 21, 1997, of which 263 haven't made it out of committee (Extremely Poor) and 12 were successfully enacted (Very Good, relative to peers). McCain has co-sponsored 873 bills during the same time period (Average, relative to peers).

So you're saying that McCain's managed to squeeze 11 more bills bearing his name out than Obama with a Republican-slanted congress and an 8-year head start? Huh.

I'm not saying anything about McCain. Sigh... I think you have me confused with someone who likes McCain. To paraphrase your own post, Holy knee-jerking, Batman!

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=300022
Hillary Clinton has sponsored 354 bills since Jan 22, 2001, of which 307 haven't made it out of committee (Extremely Poor) and 2 were successfully enacted (Average, relative to peers). Clinton has co-sponsored 1723 bills during the same time period (Average, relative to peers).

That really doesn't have anything to do with Obama either. Jaz posted this list of bills Obama did and all I posted in response was a comparison to his peers which, for the most part, puts Obama in the average, very similar to Hillary. It also showed that of the bills mentioned 3 had been sponsored by near 50% or more of Senators and an additional 2, near 30%. What you do with that is your own business. It would seem to me to say he's no dynamo but not slacking off either. It also makes Hillary look far less attractive solely on the doing in Congress too. Although this comparison is numbers only, not quality.

NewChief
02-23-2008, 08:20 AM
That really doesn't have anything to do with Obama either. Jaz posted this list of bills Obama did and all I posted in response was a comparison to his peers which, for the most part, puts Obama in the average, very similar to Hillary. It also showed that of the bills mentioned 3 had been sponsored by near 50% or more of Senators and an additional 2, near 30%. What you do with that is your own business. It would seem to me to say he's no dynamo but not slacking off either. It also makes Hillary look far less attractive solely on the doing in Congress too. Although this comparison is numbers only, not quality.

Right. The problem seems to be that the bar is getting moved up and down, depending on who is making the argument. Initially, people were espousing Hillary's experience and efficacy over Obama's, claiming this was a major reason to vote for her over Obama. The data clearly shows that Obama is as or more effective than Hillary in Congress. Is he the most effective member of Congress? Of course not. His record, though, clearly compares favorably to Hillary's.

pikesome
02-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Right. The problem seems to be that the bar is getting moved up and down, depending on who is making the argument. Initially, people were espousing Hillary's experience and efficacy over Obama's, claiming this was a major reason to vote for her over Obama. The data clearly shows that Obama is as or more effective than Hillary in Congress. Is he the most effective member of Congress? Of course not. His record, though, clearly compares favorably to Hillary's.

Thank you, you did a much better job than I at stating the important points out of that.

NewChief
02-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Thank you, you did a much better job than I at stating the important points out of that.

Also, bill sponsorship and voting record are a two-edged sword as we know. It's great to be shown as effective when he's running against Hillary. If, though, when we get into the race for POTUS, he's painted as to being too effective on too many bills that are too liberal (not moderate), then this record being touted as a plus could come back to haunt him in his bid to portray himself as a coalition building candidate.

Ultra Peanut
02-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Of course, the beautiful thing is that two of his biggest achievements in Congress were cooperative efforts with Republican senators.

BigRedChief
02-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Still seems to me he was trying to get something done which I can't say was the fact for other jumior senators.

jAZ
02-23-2008, 09:46 AM
This is really just a response to this...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jj4VK9wVAi0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jj4VK9wVAi0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

And Matthews' question was just a recitation of a bogus Hillary talking point which is now being used by Republicans...

If anyone saw Real Time last night, this was included in an amazing display of non-stop GOP email-speak about Obama from an actual elected federal official Representative Jack Kingston of Georgia. It's amazing, the guy even dropped a "Hussien" reference and bashed him for not wearing a flag-pin (while not wearing a flag pin himself).

Pitt Gorilla
02-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Ok, but I hear'd heza Moslum.

mikey23545
02-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Crap, all he's done is sign his name to every bill someone else authored for two years. He hasn't led or authored a single meaningful piece of legislation yet, and probably doesn't even know how. He's been too busy running for president on the basis of his race for half his congressional career.

NewChief
02-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Crap, all he's done is sign his name to every bill someone else authored for two years. He hasn't led or authored a single meaningful piece of legislation yet, and probably doesn't even know how. He's been too busy running for president on the basis of his race for half his congressional career.

Right. That's exactly the conclusion I reached after reading the facts in this article.

pikesome
02-23-2008, 02:46 PM

To be fair it sounds like that's (the number of bills) average and normal for a Senator of his seniority. Which might say some unflattering things about what the rest of the losers are doing too.

jAZ
02-23-2008, 03:02 PM
He hasn't led or authored a single meaningful piece of legislation yet, and probably doesn't even know how.
Seriously, this is just getting to be "silly season in politics".

Do you ever look into any of the talking points you parrot?

Just go to...

http://thomas.loc.gov

I've just grabbed a few of the 113 bills that Obama's staff directly authored and introduced. I've left out that "create a rosa parks stamp" type bills.

You might not agree with the goals or objectives of all of these, but it would be completely uncredible of you to claim that not a single one of these or the other 113 bills is a "meaningful piece of legislation".

Note: These are from 2007 alone.

S.115 : A bill to suspend royalty relief, to repeal certain provisions of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, and to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal certain tax incentives for the oil and gas industry.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 1/4/2007)

S.116 : A bill to authorize resources to provide students with opportunities for summer learning through summer learning grants.

S.117 : A bill to amend titles 10 and 38, United States Code, to improve benefits and services for members of the Armed Forces, veterans of the Global War on Terrorism, and other veterans, to require reports on the effects of the Global War on Terrorism, and for other purposes.

S.133 : A bill to promote the national security and stability of the economy of the United States by reducing the dependence of the United States on oil through the use of alternative fuels and new technology, and for other purposes.

S.674 : A bill to require accountability and enhanced congressional oversight for personnel performing private security functions under Federal contracts, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 2/16/2007)

S.692 : A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to establish a Hospital Quality Report Card Initiative to report on health care quality in Veterans Affairs hospitals.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 2/27/2007)

S.713 : A bill to ensure dignity in care for members of the Armed Forces recovering from injuries.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 2/28/2007)

S.767 : A bill to increase fuel economy standards for automobiles and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 3/6/2007)

S.906 : A bill to prohibit the sale, distribution, transfer, and export of elemental mercury, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 3/15/2007)

S.976 : A bill to secure the promise of personalized medicine for all Americans by expanding and accelerating genomics research and initiatives to improve the accuracy of disease diagnosis, increase the safety of drugs, and identify novel treatments.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 3/23/2007)

S.1084 : A bill to provide housing assistance for very low-income veterans.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 4/10/2007)

S.1151 : A bill to provide incentives to the auto industry to accelerate efforts to develop more energy-efficient vehicles to lessen dependence on oil.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 4/18/2007)

S.1222 : A bill to stop mortgage transactions which operate to promote fraud, risk, abuse, and under-development, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 4/25/2007)

S.1271 : A bill to provide for a comprehensive national research effort on the physical and mental health and other readjustment needs of the members of the Armed Forces and veterans who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom and their families.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 5/2/2007)

S.1306 : A bill to direct the Consumer Product Safety Commission to classify certain children's products containing lead to be banned hazardous substances.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 5/3/2007)

S.1324 : A bill to amend the Clean Air Act to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transportation fuel sold in the United States.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 5/7/2007)
(lots more on Thomas)

|Zach|
02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
So, you don't know how to read? Or... ROFL

NewChief
02-23-2008, 03:11 PM
So, you don't know how to read? Or... ROFL

I chalked it up to the fact that some people just like to say really stupid things.

Ultra Peanut
02-23-2008, 04:39 PM
The more time mikey spends reading, the less time he can lash out at DEM LIEBERALZ.

Logical
02-23-2008, 08:25 PM

Wow this is quite the racist post mikey, way to set the bar high for other neo-nazis.

patteeu
02-24-2008, 01:11 PM
2 years -- 570 Bills, 15 Laws, 50 Amendments, 16 Adopted

This is like CrazyCoffee trying to argue that his ChiefsPlanet body of work is as substantial as DanT's based on post count and the number of 100 post threads he's created. ;)

patteeu
02-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Seriously, this is just getting to be "silly season in politics".

Do you ever look into any of the talking points you parrot?

Just go to...

http://thomas.loc.gov

I've just grabbed a few of the 113 bills that Obama's staff directly authored and introduced. I've left out that "create a rosa parks stamp" type bills.

You might not agree with the goals or objectives of all of these, but it would be completely uncredible of you to claim that not a single one of these or the other 113 bills is a "meaningful piece of legislation".

It's hard to know what the goals or objectives of these are or how "uncredible" they are on the basis of title alone. Not that I'm asking you to describe each separate bill or anything, but including the titles isn't much more illuminating than just sticking with the number of bills sponsored, co-sponsored and passed.

patteeu
02-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Wow this is quite the racist post mikey, way to set the bar high for other neo-nazis.

:shake: Way to play the race card at the slightest mention of race. :rolleyes:

Logical
02-24-2008, 03:26 PM
:shake: Way to play the race card at the slightest mention of race. :rolleyes:Slightest mention, you must be kidding