PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Redux: 'Thousands of Aliens' in U.S. Flight Schools Illegally

dirk digler
02-27-2008, 06:09 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4353991&page=1

Thousands of foreign student pilots have been able to enroll and obtain pilot licenses from U.S. flight schools, despite tough laws passed in the wake of the 9/ll attacks, according to internal government documents obtained by

<script type="text/javascript">adsonar_placementId=1280488;adsonar_pid=43749;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=165;adsonar_zh=220;adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.com</script>"Some of the very same conditions that allowed the 9-11 tragedy to happen in the first place are still very much in existence today," wrote one regional security official to his boss at the TSA, the Transportation Security Administration.

"Thousands of aliens, some of whom may very well pose a threat to this country, are taking flight lessons, being granted FAA certifications and are flying planes," wrote the TSA official, Richard A. Horn, in 2005, complaining that the students did not have the proper visas.

Under the new laws, American flight schools are only supposed to provide pilot training to foreign students who have been given a background check by the TSA and have a specific type of visa.

But in thousands of cases that has not happened, according to the documents and current and former government officials involved in the program.

"TSA's enforcement is basically nonexistent," said former FAA inspector Bill McNease, in an interview for ABC News' "World News With Charles Gibson."

McNease, who retired last year, says in one year alone, 2005, he found some 8,000 foreign students in the FAA database who got their pilot licenses without ever being approved by the TSA.

"And a flight school wants the money to teach 'em. And they are gonna teach 'em how to fly and get their ratings, and then they just slip through the cracks," McNease said.

In another internal e-mail obtained by ABC News, Monty Thompson, an official in the TSA Flight School Inspections section, complained in 2005 to his bosses in Washington, "I fear we are 'danger close' to losing sight of the mission and the intent of the 'Flight School Security' provisions."

The new laws were passed after it was learned that all of the 9/ll hijackers, including ringleader Mohammed Atta, who were involved in flight operations had trained at U.S. flight schools with improper visas.

The FAA and Homeland Security are now starting to crack down on a number of flight schools suspected of training students illegally.
Just last month, agents raided a flight school outside San Diego, Anglo-American Aviation International, as part of an investigation of alleged fraud and misuse of visas.
<!-- -related- -->
<script type="text/javascript">adsonar_placementId=1280488;adsonar_pid=43749;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=165;adsonar_zh=220;adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.co</script>A lawyer for the school said the raid only involved a technical, paper-work issue and that the school was "cooperating" in the investigation.

But federal officials say the so-called paper-work is extremely important.
"What happened in 9/ll we don't want to happen again or anything like that so something has to be done," said McNease.
No one from the TSA or Homeland Security would agree to be interviewed for this story, but officials said they were preparing an official statement in response.

The Department of Homeland Security would not provide an official from the flight school program to be interviewed for this story.
In a statement, the DHS said, "We have a high degree of confidence that our layered security measures, both seen and unseen, have raised the level of security in our aviation sector."

The statement did not address the issue of the thousands of students who have received pilot training and licenses with improper visas, other than to say they "are only one of the multiple layers of security" that the government relies on to "ensure that foreign nationals approved for flight training do not pose a threat to U.S. aviation security." The DHS said it conducts security threat assessments "on all non-U.S. citizens seeking flight training."

keg in kc
02-27-2008, 06:16 PM
!

Logical
02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
!
LOL

JBucc
02-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Bill Gates has been teaching terrorists to fly since the early 80's.

Rausch
02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Helluva' lot harder to stop the terrorists when they ARE the ****ing pilots.

Unlike Carl, when OBL has a 5 year plan it tends to work...

Adept Havelock
02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
8,000 in '05? How many more since? :shake:

dirk digler
02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Damn scary IMO.

BucEyedPea
02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
I mentioned this on my first BB back in 2003 and everyone said I was paranoid.

Holy Cripes! I was looking at flight schools last fall for my daughter....I'm so glad she's changed her mind. Or looks like she is.

Cochise
02-27-2008, 06:53 PM
I mentioned this on my first BB back in 2003 and everyone said I was paranoid.

Holy Cripes! I was looking at flight schools last fall for my daughter....I'm so glad she's changed her mind. Or looks like she is.

Afraid they might crash the test planes as practice?

Rausch
02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
ROFLAfraid they might crash the test planes as practice?

Logical
02-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Afraid they might crash the test planes as practice?
Although a genuine American Icon, John McCain could teach them a thing or two about crashing planes.

BucEyedPea
02-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Although a genuine American Icon, John McCain could teach them a thing or two about crashing planes.

You musta' been reading my mind. I had something like that partly posted but changed my mind. I caught hell for bringing up how he lost 5 planes with three of them for less than noble reasons.

Logical
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
You musta' been reading my mind. I had something like that partly posted but changed my mind. I caught hell for bringing up how he lost 5 planes with three of them for less than noble reasons.
I pretty much say what is on my mind and let the chips fall, never really worried about others thinking negative things about me.:D

pikesome
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM
If these illegals really wanted to hurt this country they could round up the bunch of new pilots and start an airline that didn't cornhole it's customers. That'd kill the airline industry quicker than ten 9/11s.

a1na2
02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
I pretty much say what is on my mind and let the chips fall, never really worried about others thinking negative things about me.:D

I'm betting that you have never even looked into the 5 planes that you claim that McCain lost. How many of them were due to conditions beyond his control? How many were actually lost?

1. Landing problem while in flight training - probably pilot error.
How many new pilots crashed during training? I'm quite sure there
were more than one.

2. Caught power wires with plane - DID NOT CRASH. Pilot error, no plane lost.

3. Flying plane to Army Navy game. Engine failure, tried to restart 3 times, standard procedure, then ejected. Mechanical failure not attributed to pilot.

4. Sitting in aircraft awaiting launch from USS Forrestal CVA-59. Zuni rocket accidentally launched from across flight deck hit McCains plane. Pilot not responsible for aircraft lost. (Many aircraft were lost on that particular ship during that fire).

5. Shot down by SAM over North Vietnam. Act of war.

During his 23rd bombing mission on October 26, 1967, a missile struck John's plane and forced him to eject, knocking him unconscious and breaking both his arms and his leg. John was then taken as a prisoner of war into the now infamous "Hanoi Hilton."

If McCain would have been negligent in any of the incidents he would have had a FENAB (acronym sounded out correctly probably spelled wrong) and been grounded and/or removed from flight status.

It seems like you've never seemed to find the actual facts before you said what is on your mind.

Logical
02-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm betting that you have never even looked into the 5 planes that you claim that McCain lost. How many of them were due to conditions beyond his control? How many were actually lost?

1. Landing problem while in flight training - probably pilot error.
How many new pilots crashed during training? I'm quite sure there
were more than one.

2. Caught power wires with plane - DID NOT CRASH. Pilot error, no plane lost.

3. Flying plane to Army Navy game. Engine failure, tried to restart 3 times, standard procedure, then ejected. Mechanical failure not attributed to pilot.

4. Sitting in aircraft awaiting launch from USS Forrestal CVA-59. Zuni rocket accidentally launched from across flight deck hit McCains plane. Pilot not responsible for aircraft lost. (Many aircraft were lost on that particular ship during that fire).

5. Shot down by SAM over North Vietnam. Act of war.

If McCain would have been negligent in any of the incidents he would have had a FENAB (acronym sounded out correctly probably spelled wrong) and been grounded and/or removed from flight status.

It seems like you've never seemed to find the actual facts before you said what is on your mind.

IF 1-3 are supposed to be a defense, I sure would not want you as my defense council.

a1na2
02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
IF 1-3 are supposed to be a defense, I sure would not want you as my defense council.

You are not that stupid, well maybe you are if you can't figure out that John McCain only lost one plane due to pilot error. The rest were either not lost or beyond his control.

For someone that promotes himself as being one of the "know all" members of the board you are falling terribly short.

Considering that you claimed he crashed 5 planes and he was in training when he crashed the only plane that can be attributed to his error, I'd say that you have totally screwed the pooch.

BucEyedPea
02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
I have. I posted them. But your versions slough over three of them like it's routine. Other versions are less forgiving. The other three are three too many.McCain hated flying and was a lousy student. BTW he was rejected by the War College too but pulled family strings to get in.

Logical
02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
You are not that stupid, well maybe you are if you can't figure out that John McCain only lost one plane due to pilot error. The rest were either not lost or beyond his control.

For someone that promotes himself as being one of the "know all" members of the board you are falling terribly short.

Considering that you claimed he crashed 5 planes and he was in training when he crashed the only plane that can be attributed to his error, I'd say that you have totally screwed the pooch.

BS I did not claim he crashed 5 planes, quote it and prove that claim. 1-3 could easily be categorized as his fault (I might give you a pass on 3 but only because he got a standard procedure out) great pilots would have managed a dead stick landing and saved the aircraft. John Glenn would have managed it.

a1na2
02-27-2008, 09:52 PM
BS I did not claim he crashed 5 planes, quote it and prove that claim. 1-3 could easily be categorized as his fault (I might give you a pass on 3 but only because he got a standard procedure out) great pilots would have managed a dead stick landing and saved the aircraft. John Glenn would have managed it.

Right, word for word you did not say that, but your comment inferred the story by Vietnam Vets Against John McCain and your agreement with it. Spin as much as you wish, but your comment was not mistyped or misconstrued.

I commented that the first crash was pilot error, crash #2 did not happen, no aircraft was lost and the FENAB did not remove him from flight status and he was not grounded.

You want to place blame, not because the pilot made mistakes, it's because it's John McCain.

I'm betting that you back John Kerry's stories of his heroics in Vietnam. How many JUNIOR OFFICERS, went back to make a "documentary film" of action during the Vietnam war? Three Purple Hearts awarded and John Kerry did not miss a single day due to his "wounds". Amazing, just phuqueing amazing.

A dead stick landing over the water? Right.

Logical
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM

I'm betting that you back John Kerry's stories of his heroics in Vietnam. How many JUNIOR OFFICERS, went back to make a "documentary film" of action during the Vietnam war? Three Purple Hearts awarded and John Kerry did not miss a single day due to his "wounds". Amazing, just phuqueing amazing.

A dead stick landing over the water? Right.

Wrong

You mean Kerry does something other than lie? I see the problem, distinction is impossible when everything is a lie.
ROFL

I said this would happen a month ago and that Kerry would be brutalized. Big suprise and he deserves it. You reap what you sow and hanging with Hanoi Jane and Communist while degrading the Medals of Honor given our war heroes definitely is netting him what he deserves. It has only just begun and it will get much, much worse.:D

a1na2
02-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Wrong

You are deflecting now. Can't answer the point that you did refer to McCain "crashing" five aircraft?

A simple, you are right Mr. A1NA2 would be nice.

I don't really care about Kerry. Everyone knows that his PH's were bogus as well as his dedication to politics from an early age.

I don't see McCain as a war hero, I see him as a person that was in the war and tried to do his job just like virtually all of those that were there.

I think it is ludicrous to point out that someone crashed 5 planes when the facts do not support the story.

alnorth
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Helluva' lot harder to stop the terrorists when they ARE the ****ing pilots.

Unlike Carl, when OBL has a 5 year plan it tends to work...

Try a 15-20 year plan. Pilot positions for major airlines are very difficult to get, and the competition is fierce. Nowadays, you basically have to have years of experience in the airforce, spotless resume, and excellent pilot skills. Then, you just might be able to land a gig as a first officer if your lucky.

BucEyedPea
02-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Try a 15-20 year plan. Pilot positions for major airlines are very difficult to get, and the competition is fierce. Nowadays, you basically have to have years of experience in the airforce, spotless resume, and excellent pilot skills. Then, you just might be able to land a gig as a first officer if your lucky.
Nope no longer have to have years in the airforce. It's just easier and cheaper to get the needed hours accrued for the requirements to fly with the major carriers. Majors are recruiting from private sector more these days than military.(Embry-Riddle, FL is a school that is heavily recruited by majors now.) Have to have the required hours, good eyes and health and yes, excellent skills. Minimum age is 23 for commercial air and need to have the required hours. I forget what they are. They now want degrees. Doesn't matter the subject either. In past this wasn't needed as much. Competition is fierce but future is considered expanding and bright despite 9/11 cutbacks in pay. ( cut by half) But cost for flight school and hours is like $100k, not counting college. This is based on research I did last fall, on data from pilots, flight schools etc. Oh! And I even heard pilots are not that smart...that flying is easy. But if you screw up, commercially you no longer fly.

Logical
02-27-2008, 11:31 PM
You are deflecting now. Can't answer the point that you did refer to McCain "crashing" five aircraft?

A simple, you are right Mr. A1NA2 would be nice.

I don't really care about Kerry. Everyone knows that his PH's were bogus as well as his dedication to politics from an early age.

I don't see McCain as a war hero, I see him as a person that was in the war and tried to do his job just like virtually all of those that were there.

I think it is ludicrous to point out that someone crashed 5 planes when the facts do not support the story.

What???? I said and I quote:

Although a genuine American Icon, John McCain could teach them a thing or two about crashing planes.There is nothing in that statement about 5 planes being crashed, nothing even close.

BucEyedPea
02-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Here's the other post on the planes of McCain. He killed 20 people power lines he took out. I seriously doubt if he did that commercially he'd ever be allowed to fly again.

Robert Timberg, author of The Nightingale’s Song, a book about
Annapolis graduates and their tours in Vietnam, wrote that McCain
“learned to fly at Pensacola, though his performance was below par,
at best good enough to get by. He liked flying, but didn’t love it.”

McCain III lost jet number one in 1958 when he plunged into Corpus Christi
Bay while practicing landings. He was knocked unconscious by the
impact coming to as the plane settled to the bottom.

McCain’s second crash occurred while he was deployed in the Mediterranean.
“Flying too low over the Iberian Peninsula,” Timberg wrote,
“he took out some power lines [reminiscent of the 1998 incident
in which a Marine Corps jet sliced through the cables of a
gondola at an Italian ski resort, killing 20 which led to a spate
of newspaper stories in which he was predictably identified as the son of an admiral.”

McCain’s third crash three occurred when he was returning from flying
a Navy trainer solo to Philadelphia for an Army-Navy football game.

Timberg reported that McCain radioed, “I’ve got a flameout” and went through standard relight procedures three times before ejecting at
one thousand feet. McCain landed on a deserted beach moments before
the plane slammed into a clump of trees.

McCain’s fourth aircraft loss occurred July 29, 1967, soon after
he was assigned to the USS Forrestal as an A-4 Skyhawk pilot. While seated in the cockpit of his aircraft waiting his turn for takeoff, an accidently fired rocket slammed into McCain’s plane. He escaped from the burning aircraft, but the explosions that followed killed 134 sailors, destroyed at least 20 aircraft, and threatened to sink the ship.

McCain’s fifth loss happened during his 23rd mission over North Vietnam on Oct. 26, 1967, when McCain’s A-4 Skyhawk was shot down by a surface-to-air missile. McCain ejected from the plane breaking both arms and a leg in the process and subsequently parachuted into Truc Bach Lake near Hanoi.

a1na2
02-28-2008, 05:25 AM
What???? I said and I quote:

There is nothing in that statement about 5 planes being crashed, nothing even close.

Come on Jim, you know exactly what you were insinuating. There is no doubt from anyone that read what you put up. Even BEP posted the inaccurate writings of a person that is against John McCain.

You can sing, dance and spin all you want, but buddy ... you screwed the pooch and I'm reveling in your attempts to deny your own comments and the intent of those comments.

a1na2
02-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Here's the other post on the planes of McCain. He killed 20 people power lines he took out. I seriously doubt if he did that commercially he'd ever be allowed to fly again.

You really need to read that part of your post again BEP. It says, and I quote:

McCain’s second crash occurred while he was deployed in the Mediterranean. “Flying too low over the Iberian Peninsula,” Timberg wrote, “he took out some power lines [reminiscent of the 1998 incident in which a Marine Corps jet sliced through the cables of a
gondola at an Italian ski resort, killing 20] which led to a spate
of newspaper stories in which he was predictably identified as the son of an admiral.”

You need to be more aware of the facts and what actions were taken. Here is the real story of which you are referring:

Marine Navigator Pleads Guilty to Obstruction in Gondola Case (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F05E3DC1E30F933A05750C0A96F958260)

<!-- .toolsRight --> Published: March 30, 1999

A Marine navigator pleaded guilty today to obstruction and conspiracy charges for destroying a videotape that recorded part of the flight of the jet that clipped a ski gondola cable in Italy last year, killing 20 people.
The Government accused the navigator, Capt. Joseph Schweitzer, 31, of destroying the tape that he filmed before the jet, a radar-jamming EA-6B Prowler, hit the cable in a low-level training flight in February 1998.

Captain Schweitzer, of Westbury, N.Y., made the plea after an afternoon court hearing that lasted several hours at Camp Lejeune.
''Joe is the type of guy who wants to stand up and take responsibility,'' Dave Beck, Captain Schweitzer's civilian lawyer, said in an interview before the hearing. Mr. Beck also said, ''There were some bad mistakes made after the accident, and they made bad decisions.''

The court-martial of Captain Schweitzer had been scheduled to begin late last week with jury selection. But legal maneuvers and discussions between Government lawyers and Captain Schweitzer's lawyers delayed it.
A military jury at Camp Lejeune acquitted the jet's pilot, Capt. Richard J. Ashby, 31, of Mission Viejo, Calif., of manslaughter and other charges on March 4.

Manslaughter counts against Captain Schweitzer were dismissed after the acquittal. But Captains Schweitzer and Ashby both faced obstruction of justice and conspiracy charges because of the disappearance of the videotape.

Each charge carries a maximum five-year sentence. A military panel will be chosen as early as Tuesday to participate in a sentencing hearing.
Col. Alvin Keller, the military judge handling the case, ruled today that the prosecution could call relatives of those who died in the gondola to testify in the sentencing hearing about the impact the missing tape had on determining what happened to their loved ones in the crash in Cavalese, Italy.

Captain Ashby testified in his trial that Captain Schweitzer had filmed the early part of their training flight. After they landed, Captain Ashby gave the tape to Captain Schweitzer and never saw it again, Captain Ashby testified.
''The videotape has nothing to do with the accident,'' Mr. Beck said before the hearing. He said Captain Schweitzer ''had nothing to do with causing the deaths.''

When the jet hit the cable on Feb. 3, 1998, the squadron was deployed from the Marine Corps Air Station at Cherry Point, N.C., to the NATO air base at Aviano, Italy, for duty over Bosnia. Afterward, Italians demanded that American landing rights be revoked at bases in their country.
The Prowler, which holds one missile, is filled with radar-jamming equipment and carries a crew of four. The plane is intended to keep friendly bombers and fighters from being detected by enemy radar, when it typically flies at altitudes higher than 20,000 feet. The accident occurred during a low-level training flight.

Captain Ashby's jet struck gondola cables at 360 to 370 feet, gashed its wing and tail fin and returned to Aviano. Two rear-seat crew members were charged in the accident, but those charges were dismissed for lack of evidence.

The plea was welcomed today by the president of the Italian province where the accident occurred.

''I appreciate Schweitzer's honesty,'' said Lorenzo Dellai, president of the Province of Trento. ''It is a contribution to clearness, which has always been lacking in this sad story.''

alnorth
02-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Nope no longer have to have years in the airforce. It's just easier and cheaper to get the needed hours accrued for the requirements to fly with the major carriers. Majors are recruiting from private sector more these days than military.(Embry-Riddle, FL is a school that is heavily recruited by majors now.) Have to have the required hours, good eyes and health and yes, excellent skills. Minimum age is 23 for commercial air and need to have the required hours. I forget what they are. They now want degrees. Doesn't matter the subject either. In past this wasn't needed as much. Competition is fierce but future is considered expanding and bright despite 9/11 cutbacks in pay. ( cut by half) But cost for flight school and hours is like $100k, not counting college. This is based on research I did last fall, on data from pilots, flight schools etc. Oh! And I even heard pilots are not that smart...that flying is easy. But if you screw up, commercially you no longer fly.

I didnt say it was required, but there are few jobs right now regardless of what some people may think of future prospects, and you would be competing against people who have far more credentials than the minimums you list.

BucEyedPea
02-28-2008, 07:22 AM
I didnt say it was required, but there are few jobs right now regardless of what some people may think of future prospects, and you would be competing against people who have far more credentials than the minimums you list.
Just being the messenger. This was per Embry-Riddle since my daughter expressed an interest. These things ebb and flow like engineering jobs. I mean this is the same thing I heard when I got out of school: it's too competitive, it's who ya' know, there's no jobs in it.

Regarding my other post:
Yeah. I stand corrected on the part of him killing 20 people depending on where the missing bracket should be placed to really clear it up.
The rest of the gondola incident, has nothing to do with my comparison though.
The comparison is legit on McCain cutting power lines as it's damage to property.
The rest of the gondola incident has no bearing on my comparison as the author did not compare all of it to McCain.

a1na2
02-28-2008, 10:44 AM
BucEyedPea][/b]

I still do not see someone going to flight school after college, or during college, and then having the required numbers of flight time in multi-engine aricraft to qualify to fly passenger liners.

I still need to see the requirements for the major airlines for pilots I also want to see the statistics indicating that Air Force pilots are not being hired in the same numbers as they were before. You tended to leave out the flight experience of Naval Avaitors, Army Pilots, Marine Pilots as well as those that fly for the Coast Guard. If you meant to say military instead of Air Force, so be it, I can accept that as a minor oversight.

The college aspect is a non-issue as virtually all multi-engine aviators have bachelors degrees in some arena of science. BS in Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc. To say that all you need is a four year degree and a flight certificate just does not seem logical. I want to see a link that validates BEP's claim.

a1na2
02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
There is a very large difference between being certified to fly and to be hired by one of the major airlines as a pilot. The 250 hours and a certificate will not get you in the air.

To be considered for the pilot position at United Airlines (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51564,00.html), you must possess the following minimum qualifications at the time of application. Those who do not meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered as applicants by United Airlines:
1500 hours Total Time - Fixed Wing
500 hours Multi-engine time (PIC) or Military fighter/trainer (PIC)
500 hours Turbine Time
100 hours flown in the past year (Recency of experience)
US military candidates may satisfy the 100 hours flown in the past year requirement by meeting the following conditions at time of application:
Have flown 100 hours in the last year, or
Currently in the US military or separated/retired from US military in last three months (honorably), or
Obtained a new FAA issued flight rating or certificate within 12 months from separating/retiring from the US Military
Current FCC license
Current valid passport
Current First Class Medical
Current US-issued ATP Certificate with Multi-engine land rating (AMEL)
High school diploma or GED equivalent
Legal right to work in the United States
A college degree from an accredited school is preferred
Thank you for your interest in joining the Continental team (http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/company/career/pilot.aspx). Continental anticipates continued growth and significant hiring through 2007 and beyond.
The following are the minimum qualifications to apply for a pilot position:

1,500 hours fixed-wing total flight time
1,000 hours fixed-wing PIC time, or 500 hours PIC time and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet
1,000 hours fixed-wing turbine time
1,000 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (civilian or military) or 1,000 hours single-engine military fighter jet time
A current ATP written exam
A current first class FAA medical
A current passport
A Bachelor's degree is highly desired
More to follow.

a1na2
02-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Still waiting for an answer from BEP and Un-logical.

a1na2
02-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Still waiting for an answer from BEP and Un-logical.

Still waiting.....