PDA

View Full Version : Our moronic foriegn policy...

Taco John
02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I just had to share this quote as a great example of just how stupid and shameful our foreign policy is.

Robert Gates:

"Turkey must limit its military operations against Kurdish guerrillas in northern Iraq to days or a couple of weeks rather than months, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said on Wednesday."It's very important that the Turks make this operation as short as possible and then leave, and to be mindful of Iraqi sovereignty," Gates told reporters in New Delhi on Wednesday before leaving for Ankara.

"I measure quick in terms of days, a week or two, something like that. Not months," he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/washington/politics-turkey-iraq-gates.html?scp=1&sq=gates+turkey&st=nyt

BucEyedPea
02-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Sure sounds like a double standard!

banyon
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Sure sounds like a double standard!

not really, not if he meant "weeks" or "days" the same way his predecessor did:

Rumsfeld:

"It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months," he said, speaking at the American air base at Aviano, in northern Italy. Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2738089.stm)

Logical
02-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Turkey, you can invade and occupy for 3 or 4 weeks, but we will occupy Iraq for up to 100 years (John McCain), way to emphasize the Ugly American view of us.

patteeu
02-28-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't get the point of this thread. Would it make more sense if we had a foreign policy that encouraged the Turks to commit themselves to a long term occupation that would tend to undermine everything we are trying to achieve in Iraq? Or are you saying it would make more sense if we had a zero tolerance foreign policy with the Turks and started bombing the bejeesus out of them now? It seems to me that the policy articulated by Gates lets the Turks do some quick clean up work and blow off some steam without (hopefully) doing too much damage to our efforts in Iraq.

BCD
02-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Jesus. I wish we could get out of that region and let them kill each other...

BucEyedPea
02-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Jesus. I wish we could get out of that region and let them kill each other...
Me too. Butcha know you can't mess in one of the American colonies.

Taco John
02-28-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't get the point of this thread.

Hahaha! Yeah, I imagine that connecting these dots is hard for a big government "conservative." The hypocrisy of our official stance is probably pretty perplexing to you.

Hydrae
02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
I am sure we give them enough money in foriegn aid to have been giving them orders for quite a while now.

a1na2
02-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't get the point of this thread. Would it make more sense if we had a foreign policy that encouraged the Turks to commit themselves to a long term occupation that would tend to undermine everything we are trying to achieve in Iraq? Or are you saying it would make more sense if we had a zero tolerance foreign policy with the Turks and started bombing the bejeesus out of them now? It seems to me that the policy articulated by Gates lets the Turks do some quick clean up work and blow off some steam without (hopefully) doing too much damage to our efforts in Iraq.

That's just it, there is no real point to the thread other than a blatant attack on the administration.

I just have to consider the source to know it's pointless.

patteeu
02-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Hahaha! Yeah, I imagine that connecting these dots is hard for a big government "conservative." The hypocrisy of our official stance is probably pretty perplexing to you.

"Our" foreign policy is supposed to be about what's best for us, not about how objectively consistent we can possibly be. And while I don't necessarily concede the point that we are acting inconsistently (or hypocritically, as you put it), consistency is only one factor involved in the calculation. It is far from the determinative factor.

BucEyedPea
02-28-2008, 12:27 PM
That's just it pat, it isn't what's best for us. That's like saying it's best to run your kids own life once they've reached adulthood. I'd think that would strain relations with them.