PDA

View Full Version : Black superdelegates under ‘ugly’ pressure to support Obama

Cochise
02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Black superdelegates under ‘ugly’ pressure to support Obama, Cleaver says

By DAVID GOLDSTEIN
The Star’s Washington correspondent

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver of Missouri said Thursday that black Democratic superdelegates who support Sen. Hillary Clinton have been “bludgeoned verbally” to prod them to switch to Sen. Barack Obama.

Cleaver, who is African-American and a superdelegate, has backed Clinton since last summer and this week re-emphasized that support. He said that he himself has not been pressured, but that black superdelegates from all over the country have been harassed, threatened with primary opponents and called “Uncle Tom.”

He said they have been told, “You’re not black if you’re not supporting Barack Obama. … It is ugly.”

He speculated that he has escaped the pressure because, although Obama won the Missouri primary, he only defeated Clinton narrowly. With crucial primaries looming Tuesday, the intensity of the pressure became evident this week when Georgia Rep. John Lewis left the Clinton camp and sided with Obama. Lewis, an elder of the civil rights movement, faced a challenge for his seat from an Atlanta minister upset over his refusal to support Obama.

Cleaver said he did not believe that Obama himself was behind the effort against the Clinton superdelegates. “But I think he’s probably aware of it by now.” And he said Obama should address the issue.

“It’s real sad because Senator Obama is talking about a new kind of politics. But some of his supporters are practicing a 1950s style of politics. This is Tom Pendergast politics going on right now,” Cleaver said, referring to the 1930s Kansas City political boss.

Cleaver made similar remarks about the pressure on superdelegates Thursday night to The Politico Web site. The Politico talked to other African-American superdelegates, who also said they would remain firm in the face of such pressure rather than switch to Obama.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation/story/510737.html

HolmeZz
02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Claire McCaskill addressed the issue a week or so ago. She said she had also caught a lot of flack for being a woman and not supporting Hillary. People getting pressured by constituents, inside Washington and locally, is nothing new.

Taco John
02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Cleaver, who is African-American and a superdelegate, has backed Clinton since last summer and this week re-emphasized that support. He said that he himself has not been pressured, but that black superdelegates from all over the country have been harassed, threatened with primary opponents and called “Uncle Tom.”

Oh please. What a non-story. The Clinton camp will manufacture anything at this point. "Just go out and say it. People will believe it! Even if it hasn't happened to you and nobody is willing to come forward and say it's happened to them for the story. The press will print it because we're the Clintons!"

noa
02-29-2008, 12:43 PM
If true, that's pretty bad. Nobody in either camp should be advocating for superdelegate votes merely because of that person's race or gender. It demeans the entire party.

jettio
02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Black superdelegates under ‘ugly’ pressure to support Obama, Cleaver says

By DAVID GOLDSTEIN
The Star’s Washington correspondent

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver of Missouri said Thursday that black Democratic superdelegates who support Sen. Hillary Clinton have been “bludgeoned verbally” to prod them to switch to Sen. Barack Obama.

He said they have been told, “You’re not black if you’re not supporting Barack Obama. … It is ugly.”

He speculated that he has escaped the pressure because, although Obama won the Missouri primary, he only defeated Clinton narrowly. With crucial primaries looming Tuesday, the intensity of the pressure became evident this week when Georgia Rep. John Lewis left the Clinton camp and sided with Obama. Lewis, an elder of the civil rights movement, faced a challenge for his seat from an Atlanta minister upset over his refusal to support Obama.

Cleaver said he did not believe that Obama himself was behind the effort against the Clinton superdelegates. “But I think he’s probably aware of it by now.” And he said Obama should address the issue.

“It’s real sad because Senator Obama is talking about a new kind of politics. But some of his supporters are practicing a 1950s style of politics. This is Tom Pendergast politics going on right now,” Cleaver said, referring to the 1930s Kansas City political boss.

Cleaver made similar remarks about the pressure on superdelegates Thursday night to The Politico Web site. The Politico talked to other African-American superdelegates, who also said they would remain firm in the face of such pressure rather than switch to Obama.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation/story/510737.html

Cleaver has a lot of nerve trying to insult Pendergast. Pendergast did a lot more for his city than Cleaver.

Pendergast's cronyism usually led to a positive result.

Cleaver's cronyism might have been legal, but the folks assigned to the publicly funded projects he championed have more often than not, not produced good results for the money.

HolmeZz
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Cleaver is on MSNBC embarrassing himself.

NewChief
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Question about Superdelegates:

I was listening to NPR, and they had some superdelegate on who is also part of the internal DNC rules committee. They were jokingly asking him if anyone has called him or tried to bribe him for his vote. He said, and I shit you not, "I've had lots of calls, but no bribes as of yet. That being said, there's nothing technically in the rules against people offering favors or goods in order to sway a superdelegate's vote. I'm not interested in such things, but it isn't technically against the rules."

WTF... is this freaking true? If so, the DNC needs to get their shit together.

HolmeZz
02-29-2008, 01:41 PM
It is a weird system. You can openly give money to a superdelegate if they're running for office somewhere to fund their campaign. I'm not sure what guidelines there are, but the process needs to be fixed.

noa
02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Question about Superdelegates:

I was listening to NPR, and they had some superdelegate on who is also part of the internal DNC rules committee. They were jokingly asking him if anyone has called him or tried to bribe him for his vote. He said, and I shit you not, "I've had lots of calls, but no bribes as of yet. That being said, there's nothing technically in the rules against people offering favors or goods in order to sway a superdelegate's vote. I'm not interested in such things, but it isn't technically against the rules."

WTF... is this freaking true? If so, the DNC needs to get their shit together.

That seems absurd. I was reading an article about the guy who designed the system and he said he thinks it should be trashed. My guess is that the Dems will either get rid of it or make some serious changes after this election.

Cochise
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Don't shoot the messenger here, I just saw this item and thought it was funny.

Taco John
02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
The only thing funny about this story is that it has no sources.

MurphDog
02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Oh please. What a non-story. The Clinton camp will manufacture anything at this point. "Just go out and say it. People will believe it! Even if it hasn't happened to you and nobody is willing to come forward and say it's happened to them for the story. The press will print it because we're the Clintons!"

Seems to me that Obama supporters are just as dumb and stupid as Hillary supporters then...

MurphDog
02-29-2008, 02:04 PM
The only thing funny about this story is that it has no sources.

I believe its laid out pretty clearly as to the sources and who wrote it and who said what... Wait dont tell me you dont want to believe the media?

HolmeZz
02-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I believe its laid out pretty clearly as to the sources and who wrote it and who said what... Wait dont tell me you dont want to believe the media?

It had no primary sources as far as the allegations go. It's being pedaled by a Clinton supporter who never had those things said about him.

He looked like a 'tard on MSNBC, insinuating this was the reason why John Lewis switched(despite not having proof).

MurphDog
02-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Ok but doesnt everyone on MSNBC look like a tard starting with Keith Olbermann?

dirk digler
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
From the Politico article alot of the pressure they are receiving is from their own black constituents that voted for Obama and some of these people's districts went heavy to Obama. There are some outside organizations involved as well for both sides.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8762.html

Taco John
02-29-2008, 04:19 PM
From the Politico article alot of the pressure they are receiving is from their own black constituents that voted for Obama and some of these people's districts went heavy to Obama. There are some outside organizations involved as well for both sides.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8762.html

...according to no one but Cleaver, who says that he's been immune from it... So there's still no actual source for any of the "Uncle Tom" stuff. Just some complaints about "intense lobbying." All lobbying is intense in a presidential election, so... yawn.

This is nothing but a Clinton special.

Ultra Peanut
02-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Seems to me that Obama supporters are just as dumb and stupid as Hillary supporters then...Quick! Someone defend poor, evenhanded MurphDog from those big nasty Obama bullies!

Mr. Laz
02-29-2008, 09:14 PM
the whole superdelegate system is "ugly"

A black person crying victim about something .... i'm shocked :spock:

white person gets pressured ........ :shrug:
woman gets pressured ............ sexism!!!!!!
Black gets pressured ............ racism!!!!!!

whatevah ....... deal with it.

Logical
02-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Sorry Cochise but this is just an ignorant complaint given that Cleaver has no ironclad example, hell it is barely a secondhand rumor.

jAZ
02-29-2008, 09:24 PM
The entire Super Delegate concept is so destructive and deeply flawed. Of course elected officials are going to be pressured by their constituents. But Cleaver should only have 1 vote, the secret one he casts in his polling place.

That's it.

Mr. Laz
02-29-2008, 09:27 PM
The entire Super Delegate concept is so destructive and deeply flawed. Of course elected officials are going to be pressured by their constituents. But Cleaver should only have 1 vote, the secret one he casts in his polling place.

That's it.
for real ...... it would of been more honest by Cleaver to just shout "Vote for Clinton like me, my brothers!" and been done with it.

He basically just tried "pressure" the other black super delegates.

alanm
02-29-2008, 09:31 PM
It's a non story only if the media intends to ignore it. And it they do so it will only be picked up and run with by Rush, O'Reilly and Hanitty. In which case it will be a huge story. And if people are being threatened as to how to vote I'm sure there's more than a few people who would feel obligated to drop a dime to one of the fine Federal law enforcement agencies who will surely be able to allocate an agent or two to have a look see. By then the story could spiral out of control and end up being a nail in the coffin.

alanm
02-29-2008, 09:37 PM
It just dawned on me that I did read a story about something like this a couple of days ago. But it was happening to quite a few black delegates.

DaneMcCloud
02-29-2008, 09:43 PM
How does Cleaver get elected to anything? The guy's a freakin' moron and always has been.

He's irrelevant.

jAZ
02-29-2008, 09:57 PM
It's not a bogus story. I think it's definitely happening... but it's not merely a black/obama thing. But that doesn't change which THING it is that's flawed. It's certainly not the fact that voters are pressuring their elected official to support their position.

It's that their elected official has a vote that trumps the vote of his constituents.

mlyonsd
03-01-2008, 07:04 AM
It's not a bogus story. I think it's definitely happening... but it's not merely a black/obama thing. But that doesn't change which THING it is that's flawed. It's certainly not the fact that voters are pressuring their elected official to support their position.

It's that their elected official has a vote that trumps the vote of his constituents.

Pretty ironic that the party who wrongly whined about a stolen election in 2000 has their own rules in place which could make the exact same thing possibly happen to their own constiuents.

whoman69
03-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Frankly I think the Democrats really overthought their process. Take a state like Alabama where Obama won by 14 percentage points and took only two more of the 52 open delegates than Hillary. Huckabee won Alabama by 4 points and yet took the delegate count 26-18. Hillary was beaten by 18 or more points in almost every election held during the month of February and yet her pledged delegate count is only 150 less than Obama. This election should be a blow out. The rules have made it close. Superdelegates have made it close.
For those who wanted the electoral college to switch to a similar system, take a reality pill.

jAZ
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Pretty ironic that the party who wrongly whined about a stolen election in 2000 has their own rules in place which could make the exact same thing possibly happen to their own constiuents.
That's why you hear all the talk about how if the Superdelegates go against the popular vote and elect at a party insider, it will destroy the party.

wazu
03-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Isn't Obama half-white? Maybe this is just Cleaver's way of sticking it to "the man".