PDA

View Full Version : Chavez mobilizes troops, closes embassy in Columbia.

Adept Havelock
03-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Looks like Hugo is trying some saber-rattling in his ongoing dispute with Columbia. :shake:

I don't know about the Venezulan military, but I assume 10 Battalions is a good chunk of it. I'd be surprised if they can sustain the deployment for long.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080302/wl_nm/venezuela_colombia_dc

Chavez sends tanks to Colombia border in dispute

By Saul Hudson 6 minutes ago

Venezuela President Hugo Chavez ordered tank battalions to the Colombian border and mobilized warplanes on Sunday after Colombian troops struck inside Ecuador in an attack on rebels.

He also ordered the shutting of Venezuela's embassy in Colombia and the withdrawal of all diplomatic staff in the dispute, warning Colombia's actions could spark a war in South America.

"Mr. Defense Minister, move me 10 battalions to the frontier with Colombia immediately, tank battalions," Chavez said on his weekly TV show. "The air force should mobilize. We do not want war."

Colombia's military said on Saturday troops had killed Raul Reyes, a leader of Marxist FARC rebels, during an attack on a jungle camp in Ecuador in a severe blow to Latin America's oldest guerrilla insurgency. The operation included air strikes and fighting with rebels across the frontier.

On Saturday, the anti-U.S. Chavez warned Colombia against doing the same in Venezuela because he would interpret it as a "cause for war." On Sunday, he said he would send Russian-made fighter jets into U.S. ally Colombia if its troops struck in Venezuela.

The leftist, anti-U.S. Chavez has been in a diplomatic dispute with his ideological opposite, Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, for months because of the Venezuelan's mediation with FARC rebels over their hostages. Uribe has accused Chavez of using the mediation to meddle in Colombian affairs.

On Sunday, Chavez accused Uribe of lying about the details of the operation that killed the rebel in Ecuador, where the leftist government of President Rafael Correa is a close Venezuelan ally. He called it a "cowardly assassination" of a "good revolutionary."

Ecuador has withdrawn its ambassador in protest and also questioned if Uribe lied when he initially explained to his southern neighbor that the strike was in response to fire from rebels across the border against Colombian troops.

"He (Uribe) is a criminal," Chavez said. "Not only is he a liar, a mafia boss, a paramilitary who leads a narco-government and leads a government that is a lackey of the United States ... he leads a band of criminals from his palace."

(Reporting by Saul Hudson; Editing by Bill Trott)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080302/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/venezuela_colombia&printer=1

Chavez orders embassy closed in Colombia

16 minutes ago

President Hugo Chavez ordered Venezuela's embassy in Colombia closed and told the military to send 10 battalions to the border after Colombian troops killed a top rebel leader.

Chavez told his defense minister: "move 10 battalions for me to the border with Colombia, immediately." He ordered the Venezuelan Embassy in Bogota closed and said all embassy personnel would be withdrawn.

The announcements by Venezuela's leftist leader pushed relations to their tensest point of his nine-year presidency, and Chavez warned that Colombia could spark a war in South America.

He called the U.S.-allied government in Bogota "a terrorist state" and labeled President Alvaro Uribe "a criminal."

Chavez condemned the slaying of senior rebel commander Raul Reyes and 16 other members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, saying they were killed while they slept in a camp across the border in Ecuadorean territory.

He said Colombia "invaded Ecuador, flagrantly violated Ecuador's sovereignty."

"It wasn't any combat. It was a cowardly murder, all of it coldly calculated," Chavez said on his weekly TV and radio program, "Hello, President."

"We pay tribute to a true revolutionary, who was Raul Reyes," Chavez said, recalling that he had met the FARC rebel in Brazil in 1995 and calling him a "good revolutionary."

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — President Hugo Chavez ordered Venezuela's embassy in Colombia closed and told the military to send 10 battalions to the border after Colombian troops killed a top rebel leader.

Chavez told his defense minister: "move 10 battalions for me to the border with Colombia, immediately." He ordered the Venezuelan Embassy in Bogota closed and said all embassy personnel would be withdrawn.

The announcements by Venezuela's leftist leader pushed relations to their tensest point of his nine-year presidency, and Chavez warned that Colombia could spark a war in South America.

He called the U.S.-allied government in Bogota "a terrorist state" and labeled President Alvaro Uribe "a criminal."

Iowanian
03-02-2008, 12:06 PM
It would be a damn shame if someone assasinated that bastard.

alanm
03-02-2008, 12:58 PM
It would be a damn shame if someone assasinated that bastard.I imagine one of his own people will do it before long. The guy is a bona fide loon. :shake:

StcChief
03-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I imagine one of his own people will do it before long. The guy is a bona fide loon. :shake:
and Chavez's x-wife wants to run against him and left him.....

BucEyedPea
03-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Typical commie starting wars and trying to invade nations!
Oh wait a minute...

mikey23545
03-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Oh wait a minute...

Yep, absolutely comparable situations.

Get back to the ****ing kitchen.

Coach
03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Better fill up your cars with gas. I can imagine that the gas prices will go up dramatically first thing on Monday morning.

alanm
03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Better fill up your cars with gas. I can imagine that the gas prices will go up dramatically first thing on Monday morning.I don't think we've been getting oil from Venezuela for a couple of months now since the loon his been squabbling with Mobil.

BucEyedPea
03-03-2008, 07:49 AM
We buy most of our oil from Canada.

BucEyedPea
03-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Yep, absolutely comparable situations.

Get back to the ****ing kitchen.
Similar in that it's meddling and not a necessary way to deal with the problem. It's reacting and not thinking.

Oh, yeah, btw Iraq was not a threat, nor is Iran. I guess you haven't cognited on that yet. That was our own Trotskyites meddling.
Time to go back into your cave.

Cochise
03-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Some kind of neocon conspiracy no doubt.

Radar Chief
03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
It's reacting and not thinking.

You mean like blaming everything you don't like on NeoCons?

Oh, yeah, btw Iraq was not a threat, nor is Iran. I guess you haven't cognited on that yet.

:spock: "Cognited"? ROFL

Cochise
03-03-2008, 08:46 AM

I think that's what Jabba did to Han Solo.

a1na2
03-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Oh wait a minute...

American Communists (According to your comment)
FDR - D
JFK -D
HST -D
GWB -R

The Democommunists seem to have the Republicommunists out numbered 3 to 1.

Frazod
03-03-2008, 09:10 AM
I think that's what Jabba did to Han Solo.

So "cognited" means "mounted on the wall of my criminal lair"?

Cool, I love learning new stuff. :D

banyon
03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
American Communists (According to your comment)
FDR - D
JFK -D
HST -D
GWB -R

The Democommunists seem to have the Republicommunists out numbered 3 to 1.

Your list is incomplete, there are way more NeoCons and Communists than that.

I think it's also:

William McKinley (the Original Neocon/Communist, I believe)
Teddy Roosevelt
William H. Taft
Woodrow Wilson
Truman
Nixon
GHW Bush
Clinton I

Cochise
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
So "cognited" means "mounted on the wall of my criminal lair"?

Cool, I love learning new stuff. :D

Trying to ascertain the root of her latest imaginary word, I could only come with "cognite"

patteeu
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Your list is incomplete, there are way more NeoCons and Communists than that.

I think it's also:

William McKinley (the Original Neocon/Communist, I believe)
Teddy Roosevelt
William H. Taft
Woodrow Wilson
Truman
Nixon
GHW Bush
Clinton I

Lincoln was probably a neocon too.

Iowanian
03-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Maybe someone should show Chavez video of this morning's wake up call for these Somali, terrorist, America hating assholes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23445658
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Pentagon officials said Monday the United States launched an air strike in Somalia to go after a terrorist suspect.

In the strike early Monday, Somali police said three missiles hit a Somali town held by Islamic extremists, destroying a home and seriously injuring eight people.

A Pentagon official said the U.S. military was going after an al-Qaida suspect in the town. As yet, there is no word on whether the suspect was hit. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly about the strike.

StcChief
03-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Lincoln was probably a neocon too. so when did "neo" aka "new" occur.... after 1800?

ClevelandBronco
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM

Let's not forget Thomas Jefferson, the original neocon. He arranged the Louisiana Purchase, but certainly not from the people who actually lived there.

While we're on the subject I guess we shouldn't overlook James Polk.

patteeu
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM
so when did "neo" aka "new" occur.... after 1800?

I don't know, I just know that BEP doesn't like Lincoln and Lincoln was involved in a war. That's enough to make him a neocon by my estimation.

ClevelandBronco
03-03-2008, 10:54 AM
so when did "neo" aka "new" occur.... after 1800?

Yeah. 1803.

patteeu
03-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Let's not forget Thomas Jefferson, the original neocon. He arranged the Louisiana Purchase, but certainly not from the people who actually lived there.

Good points. And regarding Jefferson, he led an undeclared war against muslims.

ClevelandBronco
03-03-2008, 10:56 AM

He was Trotsky when Trotsky wasn't cool.

StcChief
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM
too bad we didn't win that then.

banyon
03-03-2008, 11:58 AM

And a serial rapist. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=173001&highlight=Lincoln+endorsed+raping&page=7)

Hog Farmer
03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Chavez is getting ready in case Obama wins the white house, his plan is to take over the United States with Obamas help!

StcChief
03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Chavez is getting ready in case Obama wins the white house, his plan is to take over the United States with Obamas help!
Chavez will have to get in-line, infront of him. Russia, France, Africa, Iran....

BucEyedPea
03-03-2008, 02:42 PM

There you go again! With the same Bushian imprecise language. He did not lead a "war "against the "Muslims" —generality. He responded back toward the Barbary pirates...as in dealing with piracy. And that's hardly a precedent either.But the DC NC's love to use such an isolated example to justify their actions.

Braincase
03-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Chavez will have to get in-line, infront of him. Russia, France, Africa, Iran....

Sheyit. If they lose Hillary, the Chinese might hold Wal-Mart hostage.

Hydrae
03-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
cog·nize /ˈkɒgnaɪz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kog-nahyz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), -nized, -niz·ing. to perceive; become conscious of; know.

Also, especially British, cognise.

She came close at least. :D

BucEyedPea
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM

Shared quite a few characteristics, but not one...more like a forerunner to them though.

I'm surprised you wouldn't consider TR one, since your beloved source you linked one night on "What is a NeoCon" said that TR was probably the first NeoCon. Wilson is in that camp.

BucEyedPea
03-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Jefferson is the opposite of a NeoCon—total opposite.
I doubt Polk was but I know little of him. I'd say the closest would be TR and Wilson.

patteeu
03-04-2008, 05:57 AM
There you go again! With the same Bushian imprecise language. He did not lead a "war "against the "Muslims" —generality. He responded back toward the Barbary pirates...as in dealing with piracy. And that's hardly a precedent either.But the DC NC's love to use such an isolated example to justify their actions.

Jefferson led a war against muslims. True.

BucEyedPea calls patteeu out for being imprecise. Ironic.

Ultra Peanut
03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, I'm sure this is infuriating to the people of Missouri.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
RE: Gasoline from Venezuela is marketed as 'Citgo'. I seldom see Citgo gas locally. Seems like it used to be more common around here.

http://www.citgo.com/Home.jsp

By the way, today Columbia released some info from the laptops captured when they raided the FARC camp. Chavez secretly paid FARC $300,000,000. No wonder he's cranky, he'll probably have to pay it all again. There's not a lot of honor among thieves, communist dictators or cocaine-dealing/kidnappers/murderous terrorists...er, cocaine-dealing/kidnappers/murderous 'insurgents'.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3484630.ece

a1na2
03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
RE: Gasoline from Venezuela is marketed as 'Citgo'. I seldom see Citgo gas locally. Seems like it used to be more common around here.

http://www.citgo.com/Home.jsp

By the way, today Columbia released some info from the laptops captured when they raided the FARC camp. Chavez secretly paid FARC $300,000,000. No wonder he's cranky, he'll probably have to pay it all again. There's not a lot of honor among thieves, communist dictators or cocaine-dealing/kidnappers/murderous terrorists...er, cocaine-dealing/kidnappers/murderous 'insurgents'.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3484630.ece

I think that Citgo has a new name. For the life of me I can't remember what it is, but they are still here.

Logical
03-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Jefferson led a war against muslims. True.

BucEyedPea calls patteeu out for being imprecise. Ironic.These two quarrel more than an old married couple -TRUE

BigOlChiefsfan
03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
The 7-11 chain uses Citgo gas.

http://knoxnews.com/news/2008/mar/04/unfulfilling-stations/

patteeu
03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
These two quarrel more than an old married couple -TRUE

My real life wife has called me argumentative in the past. Could it be true?

Adept Havelock
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
These two quarrel more than an old married couple -TRUE

Heh. Reading that just gave me the funniest mental image of those two playing the parts of Nagg and Nell in a ChiefsPlanet production of Beckett's "Endgame".

My real life wife has called me argumentative in the past. Could it be true?

Argumentative? You and BEP? Never. Never.

Well, hardly ever. :p